Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 06:56 PM   #211  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue glad you have been able to keep power. I hope you don't lose it. Have you heard from your step daughter? I wondered how her Christmas dinner cooking is going. I pray she will have no problems.

Tomorrow is DH birthday and I plan to cook a steak we will share. Then Sunday I will cook one of the roastss I have for Christmas. I plan to make potato salad for Christmas and green beans Christmas too. I want a serving of my frozen pecan pie and then I will refreeze it and be through with Cnristmas eating. My plan is to keep everything I eat tomorrow and Christmas day within my alotted calories so that I'm not too far off plan. Hopefully this will help me transition back into healthy eating without any goodies starting Monday 26th. We will go to Sam's Thursday and I will get my SLMG and get back to using it instead of the 100% ww bread. I have one loaf of Walmart brand 100% ww bread but I will let DH have it since he doesn't need to lose weight.

We had our chicken and dumplings and I threw away what was leftover. I purposely didn't make a lot and there wasn't enough to save. I make mine much lazier than I used to. I cooked a chicken breast and cut into small pieces and threw it in a pot of cream of chicken soup and water with some chopped onions. Made half the recipe for the easy Bisquick dumplins wthich only uses Bisquick and milk and drop spoons them in the soup and cook a while then add to crockpot to cook till we are ready to eat. It actually tastes just as good as the real thing.

I am not going to eat the 3rd meal today. Funny how a soup can make you feel so full. I guess it could have been the dumplings since I don't eat white flour often. I ended with estimated 1038 calories and 96 net carbs.
Old 12-23-2022, 09:22 PM   #212  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, the chicken and dumplings,sounds good and easy. What other way would you make it? My mother made Bisquick dumplings but also made the rolled out flat ones.

I guess my step daughter is doing ok. She took off work today. She was trying to make bobalky which she never made before and it should have been made days ago so it could dry out but that was her husband's fault for springing this company on her.

I wanted to make green bean casserole for Christmas but the more food i have the more I will eat.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:19 PM   #213  

Carol Sue, Years ago before I knew about Bisquick, I used a Betty Crocker recipe in their book. DH mother made home made noodles that could also be used as dumplings that were rolled out but I made them only once when she was living. She was known in DH family and his first wife's family for making what they called Christmas noodles. So DH and I had her guide us through making them before she died, but I never could cut them thin enough so never made them any more. Home made are very doughy and we don't need to be eating them any way. I don't know what bobalky is. I will google it to see.

DBIL used to make green bean casserole but it was so salty that I couldn't eat it now. I cook green beans with ham pieces in it because DH likes it and I personally could eat green beans at every meal as they are my favorites, but I don't need the ham in it. I just like them plain.

I've decided to cook a steak, corn and salad for DH BD tomorrow. Christmas day I decided to cook the pork roast, potato salad and the green beans. Don't know if we will have dessert tomorrow but we will have pecan pie Christmas day. It will be nice not to have to cook a big meal this year and I am sure you feel the same way.
Old 12-24-2022, 06:14 AM   #214  

Trish, DH grandmother made home made noodles every Saturday for in chicken noodle soup. My mothers rolled dumplings were not thin. They were thick squares and were actually called pot pie or bott boi. They were definitely not healthy but they were good. This is something from my childhood that I long for.

Bobalky is a Slovak dish that is either served sweet with honey and poppy seed or savory with sauerkraut and butter. DHs family does it with sauerkraut. I never heard of it until I met DH. I love it but it is not diet food and not good for blood sugar so I don't make it. Too much work if all I can eat is a bite or two.

I didn't sleep well again, 3 nights now. Too much on my mind. Hopefully that will improve after the holidays. I also didn't weigh. I'm afraid to see the number.

My potatoes and eggs,are cooked for potato salad and the ham is in the oven. I ate toast before bed last night and I'm starving today. I have to balance this out somehow before the day is over. I went back to bed and got maybe an hour of sleep.

Happy Birthday to your DH. This was my father's birthday, too.

DH made French toast for himself and I was going to use the leftover eggs to make some for myself with Sara Lee bread. Its relatively low carb and I did that often while I was sick and eggs didn't appeal to me. Then I decided I want to eat Sara Lee bread as a ham sandwich later so I decided to just do scrambled eggs. These are things I need to start doing again to keep weight down. I'm amazed at how hungry I got from eating toast at bedtime. That doesn't happen if I eat fat or protein.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 12-24-2022 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-24-2022, 11:26 AM   #215  

Carol Sue, I looked up Bobalky and decided the same thing you did. It looks good and something I would love but not worth the calorie/carbs to make. That is the problem with a lot of Slovak and Bohemian foods. There is a Bohemian store/restaurant in a little town north of us and I love their foods but can't afford to eat them dieting. We went up there a lot before Daddy got sick but all the doughy foods and sausages that we loved probably were what caused Daddy's heart problems. They would fit into a keto diet, but they are so salty that I can't eat them.

I've got my plan today figured with my calories at 1188 and net carbs 79 grams. I don't know if I will cook the potao salad for tomorrow or not sense we are eating pie. I really want to keep my calories low. I need to go ahead and track tomorrows meal on MFP and see what we can have. DH could care less. He always tells me that I cook good meals and whatever I cook is fine with him. Once in a while he will mention something he wants and I will cook it but that isn't often. He isn't as big on potato salad as his daughter thought he was. So we may just have the calories from the pie and forget the potatoes eat a healthy veggie salad instead.

My weight is slightly up a little so obviously my estimated calories for the dumplings and stew the past few days were off plus it must have had a lot of sodium becaus I've been swelled a lot lately and the Lasix isn't getting rid of all of it. I have to admit that eating low carb does keep that in check and also trying to eat more fiber makes me feel bloated all the time. So I think once the holiday is over, I will go back to what I was doing when my weight was coming off. I also need to get more consistent with an exercise routine as well as I've been kind of helter skelter with that lately too. I actually heard yesterday that the reason some people don't get covid is that they exercise and eat healthy so I figure that is a good excus to keep doing what I've been doing besides to lose weight and keep bs under control. I think counting calories and carbs is very important when low carbing.

Have a nice day and Merry Christmas Eve to everyone.
Old 12-24-2022, 12:46 PM   #216  

Trish, when I met DH he started taking me to his mothers on Sundays. She cooked a big tableful of Slovak food, the same as her mother did when DH was growing up. Most of this food was only available in the summer when the churches had their street fairs for fund raisers. I felt like I had died and went to heaven to be able to eat all that food every Sunday but DH was tired of it from eating it all his life.This is why learned how to make stuffed cabbage rolls and halushky. His brothers wife taught me. Step daughter is the only one of the younger ones who still enjoys this food and she's finally learning to do it herself. You can't get this food around here except in the homes of those who still make it.

DH ate some ham and potato salad for lunch. I gave in and ate half a sandwich using 1 slice of SL bread, so that gives me the opportunity to have another half sandwich later on. I'm really excited that I'm staying on plan on Christmas Eve. If I continue as I have planned I will end up with 930 calories, 55 carbs, 45 net. This leaves me some wiggle room as the calories in the ham is an estimate.
Old 12-24-2022, 01:39 PM   #217  

Carol Sue I'm excited for you too. I went back on MFP and changed some things on my plan for today and will end up with 1088 calories but the carbs will remain the same. I also tracked my plan for tomorrow and even with a slice of pecan pie my calories will end up being 1095 and net carbs 65. I figure if I can do this on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day then I know I can do it on other days. Keeping calories this low gives me room for errors too since I'm trusting MFP for some of the calories or iffy. I realized that doing this by just counting calories and keeping them within limit that I'm not eating off because I can have anything I want as long as I keep my portions small enough to fit the calorie range that I allow myself. This way nothing is off plan so there is no good/bad foods so noo guilt for having the pie.

I am very proud of both of us for doing this through this holiday season.
Old 12-24-2022, 05:05 PM   #218  

I am proud of us too Trish. I didn't have another half sandwich so I changed my bread to 1 slice. I added a bit more ham and potato salad and it came in at 983 calories and 46 grams of carb. I fine tuned the numbers to 1000 calories so I could enter them. I agree with you. There is no reason for us to go off plan because its a holiday. If I had spent the day with a group I don't think I could have done it.

Happy holidays to us!
Old 12-24-2022, 05:41 PM   #219  

I ended up eating a slice of pecan pie today because DH decided to eat the whole piece of key lime pie. Not sure if I will have the pecan again tomorrow. Even though I tried to cut the sizes smaller, I still counted it as a whole serving so total calories today are 1257 and net carbs 99. I consider that good. I am back to 2 meals a day... brunch and dinner. I'm in the habit now of eating this way so I will not add any more meals or snack.

The one nice thing about the MFP FB group is that they just count calories. They don't care if you are low calorie, low carb or keto. Your plan is your own business. You can do it with IF or not. So it is just about supporting each other without criticism.

Carol Sue You will think this is funny like I did. I told DH that after Christmas that we were going to go back to eating low carb and stop eating potatoes. I told him that we can have them once in a while but just not often. He said, "I don't eat potatoes any way". I couldn't help but laugh because this guy can't eat a CB with French fries. Do these guys not know that French fries are potatoes?
Old 12-24-2022, 07:22 PM   #220  

I am laughing along with you Trish! I don't consider potatoes a problem because they are something I like and I am able to eat half of a baked potato and stop or a small portion of mashed. They have health benefits, but I don't think fried potatoes or French fries have health benefits. This is just my opinion and it just applies to me. Others may feel differently. Bread or bread products are a different story. I have to work very hard to limit the bread I eat to 2 slices of SL. DH bought a loaf of Italian bread to eat with his ham and asked me why I wasn't eating it. I don't know what there is about bread but I could eat that whole loaf of bread in minutes. This is something new I'm learning. I have to just say no. Another food I have a problem with is noodles. I could eat a big bowl of noodles every day. DH likes them too but he just eats them and doesn't care.

My step daughter sent me a picture of her bobalky. It turned out perfect. She said it was so easy and cheap she will make them every year and never buy them again. Every year I told her to stop buying them but to make them. It finally took her being forced to do it.

I texted with my sister in law who moved to Georgia and she is staying overnight at her daughters to be with her grandchildren for Christmas morning. I know Christmas is going to be hard for her without her DH but I'm happy she is with her family.

I think I am going to make halushy tomorrow to go with the leftover ham. I love cooked cabbage and it is healthy. The noodles, not so much. I don't use a lot of noodles.
Old 12-24-2022, 11:21 PM   #221  

Carol Sue t frieI don't have a problem eating potatoes either. I do keep them on hand because I like mashed potatoes once in a while. The potatoes are big enough that I can usually cook one big or 2 little ones and mash them and I measure 1/2 a cup out for me to eat give DH a small helping and throw out what is left over. When we get fries from McDs, we always get a medium size order and weigh them to see how much it is and then I measure them and it is usually more than 4 oz in the order so I measure 2 oz for me and give the rest to DH.

Bread is something tht I have had to learn to be very careful eating. I too could eat a whole loaf. My Mama always said she craved bread when she was pregnant with me and thought that was why I loved it so. Not sure if that was is an old wives tale or not but I know I used to actually crave bread and could eat it buy itself. On the other hand, one day I took a leftover biscuit and put a piece of sausae on it to eat it when living with my aunt and she said "You are just like your Daddy; you can make sandwidh out of any thing". So I just think I got the habit from both my parents. I will go back to the SLMG when I go to the store this week because I like being able to have 2 slices for a sandwich when we get CB.

DH and I have decided that we had our pie today so we are not going to eat it tomorrow so tomorrow's eating will be like any other day. Our fruit will be our dessert instead of pie or anything else.

I'm glad your stepdaughters bobalky turned out perfect and she found it easy to make. This will be good for her to know she can cook the Christmas dinner on her own. It will give her the confidence to do it from now on.

I know your DSIL will have a tough Christmas without her Hubby, but I hope being with her grandchildren will help ease the pain and she can enjoy being with them.
Old 12-25-2022, 11:27 AM   #222  

Merry Christmas to all, friends and lurkers!

I got plenty of sleep last night and feel good today. Weight is the same as yesterday, 179.0. I am happy to be staying in the 170s over Christmas. Even if its just barely. This is one time I'm happy that I married a man who does not care about a big holiday meal but I wish I had married a man who eats low carb.

Our temps will be back in the 40s by the end of the week. Yay! Our sliding glass door froze and we cannot open it to let the dog out. We let him out the front door, but dogs like to do their business in the same place. When our neighbors were having their house remodeled they stayed in a hotel that allows dogs for a couple days. His dog would not do his business at the hotel. He had to drive home twice a day so the dog could do his business in their yard. Funny!
Old 12-25-2022, 03:10 PM   #223  

Merry Christmas Friends and Lurkers!

Carol Sue You are doing very well and I pray things will continue working for you. I agree illness isn't the best way to do it, but at least something good came out of your bought with covid.

Well, my weight is up yet again today. If what they used to say in WW is true, I am paying for trying to eat more fiber. If I remember correctly, I tried doing this years ago in FL and had the same results except for the swelling. At least I don't remember swelling back then. I wish I hadn't even gotten on the scale, but I needed to see the damage. 192.6 which means I have gained 10 lbs since December 1st. It is my fault so I have to deal with it. FBG was the same 107 as yesterday so haven't hurt my bs with this eating off so that is a good thing. The 10 lbs wouldn't be so bad for holiday gain except the during this month I had gotten down to 178 at one point making my gain more of a 13 lb gain. No since in crying over spilled milk. I have to just pull myself up by my bootstraps and get back OP and stick with it. I've been so bloated the past week and this reminds me of why I don't like eating high fiber and why I love eating low carb. I love the way I feel when I eat low carb and hate feeling miserably stuffed and heavy on lowfat high fiber eating. I like feeling light and stomach feeling almost empty.

I am eating one meal today only because I wasn't hungry this morning. I would still love to include the IE/SF rules of eating only when hungry. I have to eat main meal around 3ish every day with DH, but if and when I eat other than that is optional to be when hungry and not by the clock. So days I need to eat 2 meals or a meal and a snack will be as needed.

As far I've tracked today the calories I plan to eat today ia in one meal which looks like a lot in one meal but. that is because I tried to reach as close to 1000 calories as possible, but I couldn't reach it. I don't know if I will fudge on the tracking to round it off to 1000 calories or not. I know you keep your tracking on your FIitbit, but I don't do that so I don't have to finalize my tracking on MFP so I won't get the messae that I'm not eating enough. Actually at this point I will probably have around 700 calories with total carbs are around 38 and net 30 g. I will probably just track this way so I know have an accurate reading or at least as accurate as you can get on MFP.

Everything is ready except for the salad I will make just before we eat. I probably should stay off the scales for a week because I know the weight will come off slowly and probably won't be good for a few days, but not sure I can do that since I've never been good at once a week WI.

Old 12-25-2022, 04:38 PM   #224  

Trish, when I got sick I was at 187 and that was around 11/27. While sick I went down to 175 and now I've gained to 179 so that's a net 8 lb loss. I don't want to go back into the 180s. I ended up at 993 calories and fudged it up to 1000. 87 carbs. Carbs are a little high. I'm done for today. I think if I gain it will be from the sodium in the ham.

Trish, I know how you feel. I have been there, gaining and not understanding why. I remember you losing when you increased fiber before so I don't know what is different now. I know you will turn this around.

I have felt good all day. I don't know why I occasionally feel bad with a bit of a sore throat. Something is lurking. I just found out that step daughter and her husband both got sick after Thanksgiving but not as sick as we were. Maybe because we are older.

Occasionally I get hungry for certain things. Recently I've been craving an apple. When I buy a bag of apples they don't get eaten fast enough and they go bad. Buying them individually is more costly. Last week I was craving carrots and I bought some and after we ate them the craving was gone. Maybe if I buy 1 apple and eat it I will get rid of this craving. I do know that when I crave something nothing else will help. I have to eat that one thing.

I'm going to wash the dishes and clean up in the kitchen. Then I'll take a shower and get ready for bed. Then I can just relax and read until bedtime.
Old 12-25-2022, 05:40 PM   #225  

Carol Sue, I don't know what the problem with the fiber either. I have gained with it before as well as lost with it. Maybe it is the type of fiber. I don't know.

Today I actually weighed and measured my food to be in control of the serving sizes. I am through eating for the day and ended with 723 calories with a net carb of 28 eaten with 1 hr. I still feel a little full but not near as bad as I have the past few days of eating.

Enjoy your book. I'm going to change clothes and wash since I don't have to wait until 8 o'clock any more. I can wash have it all done by 8 these days. We are going to relax and watch a few more Christmas movies toniight.
Closed Thread