Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 11:35 AM   #286  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Scale is the same today. I am a little better mentally. I will never stop wanting to lose weight. I know I have this issue with compulsive overeating and it seems it will never go away completely but will have to be controlled daily. I was doing well and felt that my issue was gone but then found its not. It just hides,for a while then something triggers it again. I know when I'm doing it but don't know how to stop. I will continue to get back in control. I don't want to go back into the 180s.

Trish, I hope you are doing well.

Old 01-10-2023, 10:00 AM   #287  

Still over 180 but going down .2 each day. I'm still eating too many carbs. I finally stuck to my eating window and went to bed hungry.
but it didn't matter. Carbs were over 100. DH ate a hot dog before bed. After I went to bed I was craving a hot dog. I won't get out of bed for food. This was a benefit of living alone. No one there eating things to make me want them. DH says "You don't have to eat it" and while that's true, it starts cravings. If its not in the house I don't think about it.

Trish,I hope you are ok and maybe just taking a break,broken computer, etc.
Old 01-10-2023, 09:31 PM   #288  

I got my hot dog today, we had them for dinner. Delay, Don't Deny. I made potato salad and baked beans with it. I ate in a 4 hour window. Still more carbs than I should but I'm getting there. Baby steps.
Old 01-11-2023, 10:56 AM   #289  

Scale went up again today.

I sure know how to clear a room!
Old 01-12-2023, 11:16 AM   #290  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

Hi Carol- I hope you have a good day and that Trish posts soon! I am hanging in there- neither gaining nor losing. It has been hard to keep on track since the scale doesn't seem to cooperate when I do well.

Will any other lurkers sound off?
Old 01-12-2023, 12:47 PM   #291  

I'm worried about Trish because she was sick lately. Others chime in occasionally. Rennie used to post regularly, in fact, she started this thread,but then disappeared again.

I hope you do better on the scale. I can't seem to get back down in the 170s. This is supposed to be my year to make a difference. If you look back, you will see I say that every year,but I've learned so much more, now!

Old 01-13-2023, 02:24 PM   #292  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

My Dear, dear friend Carol Sue. I am so sorry I wasn't able to contact you before I left for the ER early Jan 9th. I was just so weak. I got up and got dressed and DH drove me to the ER. As if I didn't feel bad enough I got a wheelchair with only one arm rest and I set in it for a good 8 hrs and sprained my left hip. Then DH was able to get me a regular wheelchair. We waited 12 hrs in the waiting room before I got an ER room. I think I got it because DH went in and talked to them rather forcefully. The did run tests and x-rays before I got into a room so by then the doc already knew what to do. I had a NG tube dowxn my nose and I wore that until sometime Wednesday evening. I think all the x-rays wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't hurt my back sitting in the waiting room.

Long story short, I had a bowel blockage. I have a very narrow place where the food is passing through so have to learn to eat differently. Salads and greens and some other foods are out because they can get in there and ball up and I could end up having to be surgecally removed. The took a biopsy for possible cancer in my abdomen but I praying that is nothing. The doc said this was a surprise because I eat so healthy. They suctioned off 3.4 litres of fluid out of my stomach and said that is why I haven't been able to lose weight. Hopefully that can change now. They have put me on the lowfat Heart diet. I am supposed eat small amounts over 5 or 6 meals rather than with 2 meals I've been doing. I now have an oncologist which I learned he is my doc whether the result is cancer or not. So that is what has been going on with me. I've only been on solid foods yesterday and to day. I can have fruit and veggies with skin removed and the surgeon told me not to eat the greens/roughage. He said I can have nuts if I chew them to soft liquid.

I just home about an hr and half ago. DH tried to write you for me but he never could figure out how to get her to 3fc to do it. I told him I knew you would be worried. I've been awake since 4 am this morning and I' going to take a nap. I just couldn't get comfortable enough with my back and neck pain to sleep much while there so I can definitely make up for it now I'm home. I'll check back when I feel better. I'm leaving our little group.

Nice thing, my FBG was 106 this morning before breakfast. I weighed when I got home but I had eaten breakfast and weighed 185 lbs. I weighed 182 when they checked me into the hospital. Nurse told me when they drained all the fluid of I may have lost 5 lbs. So it will be interesting where my weight lands when I weigh in the morning since I'm back on solids.

Have nice day everybody.
Old 01-13-2023, 03:08 PM   #293  

Trish, I am so happy to hear from you. There was part of me who thought you might be in the hospital because of your recent issues but then I thought it could be computer problems. I'm sorry for all you went thru but I'm glad they got a diagnosis and hopefully things will turn around. I pray that the biopsy comes back negative for cancer. Please get some rest. I know you can never get rest in the hospital.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:01 PM   #294  

Pipsicle Keep hanging in there. If I remember correctly, you have health issues that make it difficult to lose so it really isn't your faulth.

Carol Sue, No you can't really reasty in the hospital. They try to make it easier for you but it isn't. My stay would have been better if my back had not hurt from the long wait in the waiting room in that terrible chair, plus pulling me across those hard tables in x-ray didn't help either. I had what could have turned into a bed soar on my tail in all together made getting comfortable terrible. The strange thing is physical therapy came one day after all that asked if I wanted to try to walk. Grading the pain from start to finish, I found that 10+ pain came down to about a 4 after walking both ends of the hall outside my door. So what little exercise I got each day was a blessing. I'm amazed at what all a bowel blockage can affect. Thankfully they gave paperwork plus a website to learn how to hopefully prevent that ever happening again.

My surgeo who didn't have to do surgery "Thank God", said, "I don't want you dieting any more". I didn't say much to him that day but the next day I told him, "It has taken me over 2 yrs to lose sixty some odd lbs. I gain weight easier than I lose, so I don't want to go backwards. I want to keep going forward." He finally agreed that I could continue low carb with IF. It is the Chinese doctor who is wanting me to do the American Heart Association diet. I will see the oncologist when he gets the biopsy results and I don't think he is going to object to low carb/IF woe. So I will just be careful between now and then. The only thing he told me is that now I am going to learn what I can and cannot eat.

Funny thing about him is he has a very unusual unpronounceable doc. DS Hubby had just told me the night before who his oncologist was and I need to go to him. So the next morning this nice doc comes in and talks to me and I said would you write down your name? He was telling me I couldn't prounce it but to call him Chak. I said "Do you a patient... and said my BIL name. He said he couldn't talk to me about other patients. I said, "He is my BIL and he wanted you to be my doctor". He said "I know Mr. ...." So I know I have an excellent oncologist. I say all that to say that with a few variations, I may still be able to keep carbs down. There is no way I could eat 6 servings of carby foods a day.

Carol Sue the weight will come off for us. We just have to work a little harder but we can do it. I know you had some type of surgery years ago but can't remember what it was. With what I've learned about this so far which is very little, but don't you think that also affects why you have difficulty losing. It isn't fun to lose as much as we do and then just seem to gain it back for no reason. Surgeon told me to take Miralax twice a day unless experiencing diarrhea. DH thought twice a day was too much but if it will keep things flowing, I will do it.

The best part about my food when I got solids is that I had scrambled eggs and 2 sl bacon both mornings for breakfast. I want to keep that breakfast if I can but I saw on the news that was going to be expensive but I could eat oatmeal.
Old 01-13-2023, 07:00 PM   #295  

Trish, you might want to rethink doing IF. I think you could do smaller meals by cutting your meals in half. Eat half of your meal then eat the other half 2 hours later. It sounds like you need to make a complete change but this is important for your health. You can probably limit carbs.

I still eat eggs. The price has gone up but they are higher in some stores than others. Our Wal-Mart is $3.93 per dozen but Aldi's across the street is $4.89. I thought Aldi would be cheaper. You could alternate with oatmeal. I haven't bought any bacon or sausage for weeks. I won't stop eating eggs because I don't eat a lot of meat and eggs are my protein.

When they did my surgery they removed a small part of my bowel that had diverticulitis. They told me to avoid getting constipation but I never have that problem. I don't think it effects my weight loss.

Yesterday I had another fish sandwich for dinner. I ate half and was not hungry after that. But the rest of the night I wanted the other half. It was such a struggle but I made it. I was not hungry but I just wanted it. In the past I would have eaten the whole sandwich. I have to learn to stop eating and not just eat everything on my plate. When I stop being hungry I should stop eating. The number of calories don't matter. MFP is not the boss!
Old 01-14-2023, 09:53 AM   #296  

Shoot the scale!! I got on this morning and it said 180.4 but for some reason it didn't register to the app. So I got on again and it said 181.4.

I have a whole chicken defrosted to cook today. I'm not sure how I'm going to cook it. I may stuff it and roast it or do the beer can chicken.

DH is sick again. He is very congested and coughing. I'm trying very hard not to get it. Hopefully I'm immune from when I was sick.

Around Christmas I bought cream cheese to make cheesecake but due to illness I didn't get it made. I don't want to waste the cream cheese so I'm making it today. The batter looks lumpy but I beat it well. I think it will turn out ok. It called for a 9 inch pan and I have 8 1/2 and 9 1/2. I chose the 8 1/2 so it will be a little higher.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-14-2023 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-14-2023, 02:00 PM   #297  

Carol Sue, Your cheesecake sounds good. Do you have to cook it? Sorry about the bump up. It will settle down in time I am sure.

Well, I've never been like other people. I weighed this morning to get a starting place after this ordeal and I accutally weight 1.2 lbs more than I did before I got sick. Weight was 187.4. FBG was 120 which probably isn't bad considering everything is lowfat heart diet at the hospital and I got foods with sugar. I drank the Ensure even though the sugar content was always 20 to 30 g depending on flavor. I drank it to keep some kind of vitamins in me since I was on fluids. They gave me 3 or 4 IVs with potassium because my potassium got so low.

I changed my settings on MFP. I don't want to eat high fat but I'm not going to do low carb either. I am going to make up my own plan with a more moderate carb and fat. I've been reading online about symptoms etc to watch for. God help me I am not having my stomach drained again. I'm feeling the preassure of the 2 areas where they did the biopsy and they had the drainage tube. So far I am doing very well from all of that.

I'm hungry for pork chops today so I've got them out for our meal today. Now I seem to need to rest a lot to catch up on the rest I lost for the past 2 weeks.

I hope your DH gets better soon and you don't get what he has. Have a good day and I'll check back in later.
Old 01-14-2023, 04:38 PM   #298  

My chicken turned out blah. Not much flavor. I was reading about how they flavor the rotisserie chickens. I don't know if I will ever cook a whole chicken again but I like when I can get a small one cheap.

The cheesecake turned out great! I use the Philadelphia cream cheese recipe and its easy. Cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and eggs. I use a spring form pan but you can use a pie pan. You bake it for 55 min. Cool a bit then refrigerate for 3 hours. So I mad a piece of chicken and cheese cake for dinner.

Why does the dessert turn out better than the dinner???

When I had my first bowel surgery they did not let me eat for 5 days. When I finally ate it was Jello and broth on day 6 and pudding and cream soup on day 7. I lost 15 lbs. Six months later I had the exact same surgery with the same fasting regimen. When I went home my stomach was bloated and I lost nothing. There is no rhyme or reason. I completely lost my appetite when I recently had covid. Before that that I was never sick enough to lose my appetite. I still get a little bit nauseated every afternoon but it doesn't keep me from eating.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:45 PM   #299  

Carol Sue, That is the way they started me out after my procedure. They started me with clear fluids then other fluids and then on the 3rd day I was put on solid food. I had to be on the solid food long enough not for them to know that the food was going through my system without any problem. So I guess the procedures are about the same for bowel problems. I want to learn from my doctor what I can and can't eat so I don't have to ever have that drainage done again. The drainage isn't so bad but when they pull that tube out it is terribly painful. I am still healing in my gut.

I ended up with with 2 meals and a snack. I had the eggs, bacon and toast for breakfast. Then we got the fried chicken. I took the fat off and ate the meat. I got 1 breast and 1 thigh and mashed potatoes with gravy to help everything go down easy. The pieces were so big that I ate just the meat of the thigh and 1 roll and a small helping of mashed potatoes. That family order of potatoes will last me all week. They gave me lime sherbert in the hospital so I had DH get me some at home. I finished my day off with a serving of that and all my food was eaten within 6 hrs. I figured the calories high to be sure they were as close to being accurate as possible. I had less than 1200 calories for the day. Tomorrow I will take the breading and fat off the chicken and cook some baby broccoli florets and mix it with a little bit of the potatoes for lunch.

Moved around as much as possible so as not to get stiff. I will get back to using the recumbent bike next week. I think it is going to take me a while to get strength back so I want to get started with it.
Old 01-15-2023, 11:59 AM   #300  

Weight up to 189 today and that is not going to fly for me. I know a lot of it is swelling but still not happy with it. Just too close to 200 again. I'm not going there. FBG was 116 so that is okay. The starches doesn't seem to hurt the FBG but I gain on it.

I read that low carb can cause bowel obstructions and you shouldn't do it, but I still think I am the one who controls which fruits and veggies I eat. The main thing they warm is to be careful not to eat peelings or stringy foods that could cause food to ball up in the intestines and not get through the narrow area. I hope when I see my oncologist that I will be able to see where this narrow place is and how narrow we are talking about. Any way, I always liked low carb because I don't have to worry about swelling when I ate lowcarb and I shouldn't have to take a lot of fluid pills which I'm taking right now. So I am going to continue my low carb/IF woe. I may eat within 8 hrs for a while, but I want to get all this fluid off. I know it probably is all the IVs that I had, but no fun seeing the # on the scale.

Carol Sue I hope your DH is feeling better and I sure hope you don't get sick.

Pipsicle, Hope you had a good week.

I had a protein shake for breakfast which is one of things mentioned in the diet for BO. Liquids are real safe. I plan to cook some veggies and take batter off of the chicken and debone it for dinner. DH wants his beans I cooked before I went to the hospital so fairly easy cooking day.

Have a great day everybody.
Closed Thread