Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:07 AM   #391  

Ok--catching up again today... Lovn--wow, so glad you took you DS to the doc. Once in my life I had it, a whopper of a case, and it took a long time to get my lungs cleared of all the junk. Hopefully your son's was caught early and he won't have to do too much of the night coughing, etc. I will say that strangely enough, I actually had stomach muscles back then BECAUSE of the coughing. Haven't seen them since!

I am going with the family, a big group, on a cruise this week, leaving today. We're doing the Disney 4-day. I am excited, yes, but just a little worried about the food.

I will go weigh right now: back in two shakes...

Yay! My two pounds lost are still not showing back up! Excellent! And this in spite of the fact that I am square in the PMS week, nice and puffy feeling, with no rings fitting.

With luck, and use of the boat gym (don't know much about equipment use), I can sustain this.

It would be ok if I gained my two back, I guess, but not more than that. Even better if I am able to stay at this current weight.

I am impressed by all of your cold weather. We really are different here in Myrtle Beach. I don't know how you do it.

Candlegal--I finally understand about the candle business. All this time I've been pronouncing it (in my head) as Can-D-Legal, as though your name were Candy and you worked in the legal business. I'm slow that way, apparently.

Rennie--Good for you. Your dedication is inspiring.

Flylady.net is also helping me feel not so stressed about the holidays, and I agree that taking it slower, with less expectation for one big thing after another, might be a better approach. This cruise, planned for two years, is supposed to be in lieu of other family holiday undertakings this year. I think it will be excellent to be completely away from our homes--no phones, laundry, jobs, etc.

I probably won't check back with you all after today until next week. Have a great one and stick to your plans! I am proud of you all!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:00 AM   #392  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

Diane, What your daughter's doing sounds terrific. It sounds like your league is run much like the one my friend's girls are in. My son will start a travelling basketball league in Jan. He's in 6th grade, but playing 7th grade school basketball right now. He will play at the 7th grade level in the travelling as well. I actually prefer the travelling league, even if it is more work for us, because the coach is much better than the school one. I love it all. I too was into drama and on the parliamentary proceedor team. I could work and keep up with those practices at the same time. Oh, and yeah I partied pretty good too!
Rennie, I too lettered in VB and played setter. Sometime's it's great being short!
Candle, Way to go on that TM. I've started mine up before and almost had to get off while the dust flew lol Rennie's right it gets easier. Are you still on mostly liquids? If so, how's it going?
As for myself. I'm ending the month with having walked and or ran 50 miles and losing 3#. I'm excited about the miles, because I've really increased my stamina and speed for an "old lady." My 1st mile yesterday took 11 min and 50 sec A record for me. I was never capable of that even when I was young. (not that I think of myself as old. I'm just kidding) The pounds lost are good too, but it really just put me back to 149# which is what I was all summer. I was at 152 on Nov 5th when I went back to exercising, after taking a month off. I'm proud of the fact that I stopped the slippery slope of regain in it's tracks. I'm determined to drop more this winter. If I end December at 148# I'll be happy. I know that's not a large goal, but setting small goals over the past 2 years is how I've finally managed to keep weight off and not regain the whole kit-n-caboodle. Yes, I've back tracked, but not more than 4 or 5#. That's a huge improvement for me. And that's what it's all about, right? Me. This is my journey for health and well being. Thanks for sharing in it and making it more enjoyable.
Have a great day!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:46 AM   #393  

S/C/G: 164 164 124

Height: 5'4"

Talking working out...

I really believe that consistency is the key , at least in my case. I see a real difference in my body compared to 18 weeks ago. I haven't lost any weight I don't think but my shape is much smoother...humm.

I really need a new treadmill this one is about to die . anyone have a recommendation?

Liz
Old 11-30-2007, 11:01 AM   #394  

Default Some of the rescues...

I wanted to see if my picture of me and some of my rescues would come up?
Old 11-30-2007, 11:54 AM   #395  

Lizzy, You are so right about being consistent with exercise. In May of 2006 I decided no more yo-yoing. I wasn't at my highest weight, but almost. In this past year and a half I have had only 6 weeks total with no exercise. I have made very few changes in the way I eat with the exceptance of always drinking 64oz of water a day. In that time too, I've lost 26#. I've regained at the most 5# here and there. In the past I would gain and lose the same 30# every spring and winter. This is so much healthier for me. All but slow going on the scale though. The older I get the more satisfying non-scale victories are....Like your noticing a difference in your shape. It's so cool that you're feeling good about your body and what you're doing NOW rather than waiting to feel good when the scale says you should. Have a blessed day. I see your picture, but I'm not sure what your rescues are.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:58 AM   #396  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

candle
Out of practice lol. I guess that is one way of looking at it. Make sure you are wearing a good pair of shoes it really does help.

Looking
You have a wonderful time. We up north don't know how you all down south do it. I had to go to Florida many times on business years and years ago. I hated it. To darn hot.

lov
I have never thought of myself as short. Just how I am. Guys seem to really like smaller woman. Never found it to be a problem and never had to wear flats so I wasn't taller than my date lol. I am excited. I am wearing a pair of pants today I haven't been able to wear for 4 years.

Liz
I totally agree with you. I eat about the same things everyday. I love what I eat. I do about the same exercises everyday and about at the same time unless I am in the middle of something. It is taking time but I can see the difference. As I was doing my upper body exercises last night with my little 1lb weights I could see muscle definition in my upper arms. That was exciting to me. I see your pic. You are very pretty.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:00 PM   #397  

Default Rescues

The picture that is on my profile has me with my dogs and cats, some of them. I'm trying to get rid of my "David Copperfield" work shot! that is currently on my front page...?
Old 12-02-2007, 08:48 AM   #398  

Rennie, Those little pom pom chicks for every 5 pounds are so cute! I found out my husband brought his computer so I'm here in the hotel before we leave today getting to read all your posts.

Liz, Yes, can see your lovely picture. What are "rescues?" And I am taking all your words to heart about paying less attention to the scale and more to the exercise and healthy routines. I did very well yesterday on the road, eating good stuff and drinking water. Last night, for the first time in several weeks, we went to a restaurant, and I ate what in the old days would have been a rather small meal, but I was so uncomfortably full that it felt like an enormous amount. That's a good sign that I've gotten better at controlling the amount, I think.

There is red tide here in Cocoa Beach, so I went for a walk with my hub on the beach and within 5 minutes was so uncomfortable from coughing, sniffling, tearing up, etc. I collected a few shells for my daughter and then we had to get back inside. I guess I will google it to find out more. I hope it's not like this on the cruise.

You all are inspiring me. Thank you.

Terri
Old 12-02-2007, 09:13 AM   #399  

I walked the halls for 30 min with a friend yesterday. It felt good to walk and talk. It's amazing how much you miss the talking part of exercise once the weather turns cold. It sure turned winter here yesterday. 7" of snow accompanied by rain and sleet. Luckily, it's now over 30* and the roads are melting. It would be the perfect day for a walk on the bike trail. Sadly, I'm way too busy with church obligations all day today. I know, that doesn't sound nice of me, but between DS pneumonia and the busy pace of life anyway, I'm bushed today. Maybe I'll get lucky and the snow will stay and no one will have trod on my part of the trail and I can walk in the fresh "day old" snow tomorrow.
Liz, now that I understand, our home too is filled with rescues....
Lookng, hope you feel better so you can enjoy your vacation
Have a great day all!
Old 12-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #400  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone. Just thought I'd check in for a minute. It's been a busy weekend. My daughter had 4 hours of volleyball tryouts yesterday and then 2 more today. I did some shopping yesterday while she was at tryouts. Today, I'll probably just stay and watch. She's doing great but there are a lot of girls trying out. I just have to hope for the best!

Today is laundry day and grocery shopping day. I'll bet that you are all jealous of my exciting day! ha! I'm also going to work on getting rid of this eye twitch I have going on. You know the kind... not noticeable, but annoying as he..!!!

Have a good weekend!
Old 12-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #401  
Rennie

Slash
I am glad the kids are done with activities till tennis time lol. We live in a small town and the rich kids that want in the sports programs tend to be the only ones that get in. Heck I can't afford what the costs are for them to play anything. My daughter wanted to do volleyball but they wanted all together 200 bucks for her to play. She said forget it mom. I can use that money for tennis lessons. Smart kid. Laundry day here too. Got some of it done last night but I was lazy and didn't finish it.

lov
Nice going on the walk. I don't want someone chatting when I am doing my exercise videos. It takes all my concentration to keep those abs muscles and other muscle pulled in and get the knees up lol. Yes, chatting while just walking is nice but when I do that, which is very seldom I listen to a book. My exercise time is my relax time. My sons girlfriend comes over a few times a week and does one of the videos with me. I am telling you I didn't know a person could be so uncoordinated. She makes me laugh so hard and then I have no oxygen to do the exercise. She thinks this is funny and laughs right along with me.

Looking
You have a nice time. Nice to have a computer you can take along. We notice over time how we have changed how we eat and what we eat. Very good example of the small meal you ate out being a lot.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #402  

Default The Enemy.. The scale!

My rescues are the 11 cats , 10 dogs and 9 birds all from the streets of Phoenix ,AZ. The ones I couldn't place I gave a home and they began to add up. My husband worked for the city of Phoenix and found all of them.

Got on the scale, well I had to at the shrinks office the other day. I was very unhappy let me just say. I know muscle weighs more then fat but I do not need to see an increase! I wanted to cry. I will keep plugging along trying to lose some weight and reshape my body.

I can't eat less I'll die, I'm not kidding..lol. I wish it was the food. I coul stop eating!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #403  
Rennie

Lizzy
Sometimes to lose weight we have to make sure we are eating enough. That was one of my big problems, I just wasn't eating enough. Do you know how many calories you take in a day, how about fat and carbs? Maybe someone can help with some advice if we knew what you are taking in.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 AM   #404  

Red face My Diet..

My Doctor had me on a very low carb diet for 2 weeks and I didn't lose a pound. He was even perplexed at this notion and along with my exercise routine.

I'll give you a run down on my daily diet.

Breakfast/ oatmeal w/ 1/2 an apple or a yogurt

Lunch/ nothing sometimes or a normal lunch which I eat less then half

Dinner/ Chicken , fish,sometimes steak with a small carb always a salad and fresh veggie.

Snack/ nuts or a cheese nip rarely

Beverages/ water and Ice tea ,pop once in a blue moon

Workout/ 6 days a week at least 30 minutes on the tredmill , 3 days a week weights and yoga once a week.

Thats about it, I used to eat a bit of chocolate but dont crave it anymore. I swear it's the hysterectomy.If someone has an Idea let me know, not to mention the extensive physical labor I do daily.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:53 AM   #405  

Diane, Keep us posted on your daughters VB try outs. The waiting can be as hard on us parents as for the children. After my daughter tried out for the All State Choir, this past fall, I was on pins and needles. She didn't seem to care one way or the other. It was all I could do to keep free e-mailing her choir director daily to see if she'd heard anything yet!! lol
Rennie, That's too bad that they have to put such a high price on VB. We too live in a very small town and our situation is just the opposite. All our summer sports are organised through the school because they get Gov grants to pay for the coaches. Making it free for the athlete. Fall and winter sports are run by volunteers so the fee is minimal. Soccer is $15 and each child receives a t-shirt and a really cool medal. So yes, many of our leagues are "no frills" but they still get to play. It's good that your daughter has priorities and knows what she wants. Many would just beg to "do it all" no matter the cost to mom and dad. The more you write about her she sounds like a really level headed teen. Good job mom!
Liz, Rennie is giving very good advice. If you're not eating enough your body will go into a starvation mode and conserve energy the best it can. Just keep on with your plan. Often it takes weeks to see a difference in the scale. This is why so many give up early on. If they had only known that sticking with it for another week or two would have given them results. The slower you lose the easier it is to keep off. Even if the scale isn't dropping you're getting more fit and stronger from the yoga. That's a huge accomplishment in itself. Be proud.
Nov 5th was the first Mon in Nov and I weighed 151.2 today is the first Mon in Dec and I weigh 146.6 yeahhhhhh. I'm going to be brave and drop my current weight in my profile. That way I'm claiming the lower number and have to be determined to either keep it or go lower, but not higher. The only change I made was to increase the intensity of my workouts. That wasn't easy. I'd been maintaining in a comfort zone for 6 months. Bumping it up a notch took real determination. I have 54 miles plus 3 half hour hall walks mapped for this month. I'd like to set a goal of sustaining 6mph for an entire mile, but honestly that sounds scary, but I never thought I'd do 2 miles in under 24 min either, but I did this month. Anything's possible. Today I have 3 miles and a whole lot of housework planned. I'm thinking I can stay home until Cub Scouts tonight at 6pm giving me plenty of time to accomplish everything if I don't spend too much time reading blogs!!!
Have a terrific day everyone!
Closed Thread