Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:42 PM   #451  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

lov
Our " town " is now the whole township ( townships tend to have a lot of people in them ) lol. The town itself probably has a couple hundred people, at the most. I think walmart and target are about 25 min drive. Food store I shop at is about 20 min I guess. We are the same way. There is nothing here in our town but houses and churches and cows ect lol. But, everything is pretty close to us.

Slash
While I do kind of know everyone I can see from my house. I don't know anyone. Just to chat at the mail box or wave when we are outside. Off this darn computer I am painfully shy. I don't talk to anyone. 99% of the people that live right by me are elderly so not in my age group to do things with. The man next door is divorced. I keep telling him he needs to remarry so I have someone to chat over the fence with lol.

I had friends that I made in grade school, we grew up together and did everything with each other. Over the last 3 or 8 years one by one they have moved out of the state because of their husbands work. You all are my friends now. Like I said before, we are the poor folks ( poor folks her means your income is less than 100,000, since all the union construction workers are getting older, dieing or moving in with their kids now. The town is more and more made up of ( probably 80% ) doctors and dentists, lawyers, business owners and the wealthy city people that want to " be country " but sure aren't lol.

I will never understand these people, why move out to our neck of the woods and then complain about the sheep farm down the street. Heck don't move out here if you don't want to smell the sheep farm. We have one woman that calls the fire department and police all summer long because the kids have a bond fire in the back yard. She doesn't like the ashes getting on her car. They told her there is a fire ring around it, so there is no law broken, nothing can be done about it, she still calls every weekend. Don't move out to the country with country people if you don't like the country ways lol.

Janny
I had some guy shoot a deer not to long ago. It ended in my back yard ( have about 1/2 acre or so back there that I don't mow or anything, just trees and scrubs and such. He came to the house and said Mame my deer ended up in your back yard can I get it ( this is the law if you didn't know that ) I said sure thing you go right ahead. His wife stopped by today to let me know we would have deer steaks when the time came. I love country people
Old 12-14-2007, 12:41 PM   #452  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Well, Rennie, if you lived next to me, I'd love to talk over the fence to you! It makes me chuckle that we are all much bolder online than we are in real life. I'm the same way except in my work life. I really don't know my neighbors very well. We're all nice to each other, but not close. We've all pitched in when someone has animals escaping down the road, so that's good. We don't have a fancy house or anything, just very average. When a developer bought the hayfields just up the road from us and started talking about building a golf course with houses around it, etc, all I could think about was how they would probably not like seeing the "shacks" that all of us have! But, that is pretty typical, that these rich people build out in the country and then complain when the plows are plowing and the "smells" reach their mansions. The problem is that most of these things are in place well before they start building their estates.

So, we went to the concert last night. It was so good!!! You could really see the improvement that they have had over the past few months. They did a good job and I was very proud.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #453  
Rennie

Slash
Glad you had a nice time.

You know, it is funny. When we had a little local food store, closed now they retired, it was funny to see the city woman come in all dressed up to get milk. Here we were with ratty clothes on because we were mowing grass or hanging out the wash and they were in silk dresses lol. Anyway, they would complain when the farmers were doing their fields. I thought well darn woman, get your nose out of the air and you won't smell it so much, what the heck did you move out here for. It doesn't smell like roses during plowing time. I would rather smell the fields at fertilizing time than the city any day of the week. Something else I thought was funny. Do you know those rich folks don't give when the kids go around collecting money for this school thing or that. It is the poor folks who give. Maybe that is why they are the rich folks and we are the poor folks and always will be.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:55 AM   #454  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

Son's basketball game went great last night. He was high scorer again and both the 7th and 8th grade teams won. It was parent's night. That's always nice. Daughter had a JH dance last night. She had a blast. The many pictures she took proves that. School Christmas program went terrific. Son said all his lines on time w/o stumbling over them. Daughter sang a little solo and it went well and of course my 8 yr old was the most handsome Christmas bell ever!!! Today I'll have time for exercise while the kids are at BB practice, but when we get home it's all about decorating and baking. Just the 2 hrs at BB is all we have obligations to today so we should be able to get alot accomplished in a festive way. My weight is down a little. Let's see at the end of the month lol
Rennie, our community is much like yours. Land being bought up by wealthy city dwellers. Fortunately, I haven't had the same experiences as you. Yes, the women dress much nicer, all the time, than I do, but many of them are professionals who have to dress that way. They have children just like I do and need milk on their way home just like I do. Their being here has made my property taxes higher, but they also pay so much in that my children's school is still up and running strong. Not struggling. Being in a high tourist area the moving in started a long time ago. I think for the most part we've all learned to live together and accept each others differences. Besides, most of the city folk who have moved HERE have done so because they want a better life for their children. Maybe the magority in your area aren't parents. Making them a whole different breed.
Have a great day all.
Candle, Liz, How's it going? Hope all is well.
Any snow yet Janny??? lol
Old 12-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #455  
Rennie

lovn
They are parents. To busy making money to have any idea where their children are. I am not talking about working to put food on the table. This was very sad. My daughter has a friend, a very nice girl. Her parents both have great professions. They are never home, always working. They are going to Colorado for skiing for Christmas, I thought this sounded great. She asked if she could stay at our home for Christmas. She wanted a family dinner and a Christmas tree. She had never had this. They are in a hotel every year for Christmas. I thought your parents are never going to go for this. I called them and we met. Guess what, they thought it was a great idea. They could have a holiday without having to drag her and her sister along ( their words not mine). That is sad.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 12-15-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:07 AM   #456  

S/C/G: 211/211/135

Height: 5'0"

HI Forty Somethings. I did not fall of the earth, just laying low. I had a cold all week and it that was not bad enough I started my period. My last one was 1 year ago almost to the day, I thought I was thru with them. But now I have been like a teenager with all the symptoms and it bites. When I had my yearly exam my dr did lab work and called me to tell me I was in menapause, so I was shocked when this happened. Oh well I am a women and these things happen.

I live in a big city and have always lived in biggish cities. I have always wanted to raise my son in a small town but it just never happened. I do know my neighbors, most of the people that live around me own thier homes, and we own three on this block. My stepson lives in one of them and the other is so little we use as storage. The neighbor hood is changing though, more and more people moving and selling or renting. The old Fisher Body pland closed and is being torn down. I am real curious what will go be built on the property. It is a large plot of land, and could be used in a number of ways. I would like to see a nice park, my son would like an amusement park or water park. That would be nice, they could come in and buy our houses for way more then they are worth and build a parking lot. lol.

I was down another 1.8 lbs this week, I was hoping for more but happy with the loss regardless. I am walking on the Tread Mill almost everyday, but have no idea how far I go or how fast I am going since the thing is so old the electronic readout no longer works.

I went shopping for the 1st time today and bought a few things but my heart was not into it. I am still looking for a Wii for my son, there just are none around here. I know where they all are, on Ebay, these people buy them up for 249.00 and sell them on Ebay for 500 to 600 dollars. No way I am going to buy from them. He will get it after Christmas when the stores are loaded with them
It is 1:00AM and it is snowing like crazy outside, we are expecting over 7 inches tonight. We have been lucky and missed out on all the bad ice that everyone has been getting, it is time to catch up. I love white Christmases, it is the kid in me. I will set up the tree tomorrow and then I will be more in the mood to shop.
It has been good reading all the chats going on, you ladies crack me up. Thanks for that.
Have a great week. I will try to chat more later.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #457  

Theresa, Nice to hear you haven't fallen off the earth lol Sorry to hear you can't find the Wii. I've always fought having video games. I was afraid I'd just let my kids play and play as long as they were quiet, but last year we allowed my sister-in-law to give the kids her old Playstation 1. My kids have actually not gone to lazyville because of it. This year I'm planning to get them a Playstation 2. They really like to play Guitar Hero. I'm not anticipating having a hard time getting one since most video playing families have had the PS 2 for a long time already lol I wish I had a small house "just for storage." I live in an old farm house. The main part of the house is about 108 years old. A friend found a post card on e-bay with my house pictured on it that was dated 1899. Until then we had no idea it was that old. So, with 4 kids I can always use more storage. I like it though. My husband grew up here. I feel safe, so to speak. Great job on the weight loss. Keep us posted!!
Rennie, Oh they always know where their children are, because even the pre-schoolers have cell phones. lol I myself don't understand why they work to have so many things. I have 4 families, between Scouts and soccer, who's kids wouldn't be able to be involved if it weren't for me. These are the families who I e-mail a reminder about every scout activity 2 days before it, because just keeping track on the calendar I send home every month would never happen. In soccer I sign the kid up every year and get his shirt ordered etc.... then after the sign up the mom calls hoping I signed him up. She sends the check and dad signs the permission slip at the first game!!!! Thankfully these families all donate well and are more than willing to pay for trips for less priviledged boys in the pack. That's why I keep doing it and the kids are great kids. It's not their fault mom and dad have their priorities messed up. But yes, many of them are doing the "mom thing" way different than I do. Obviously. I'd wear the same 6 outfits for 10 years before I'd miss out on anything my kids are doing. lol Ok, the same 18 outfits because they'd have to be in 3 different sizes lol NOT ANYMORE!
We didn't get very far on our decorating. We were all just glad to be able to be home and relax with each other. The gingerbread is mixed and in the frig. That's our first plan of attack after church. I'm reluctant about the tree, because it should go where my TM is, but I've found that's where I like the TM best. I think I'm going to shock everyone and move the computer for the next couple weeks so the old torture machine can stay put and maybe get some use over Christmas and New Years.
Have a great day!!!
Old 12-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #458  

S/C/G: 200/200/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi All!
Hey! I got to move my weight loss thingy for the first time!!!
Just curious. Any hints about hair styles? I'm going for highlights on Thursday and need some help. I have long straight THIN hair. I have a round face, 32 chins... I sometimes pull it back in a bun or pony tail and sometimes curl the bottom for some body. I think I need several inches cut off. It's sorta layered in the front but it's gotten so long that you can't notice that any more.
Hints? website with photos of examples?
I read you guys everyday though I don't respond. Kinda shy. You're very inspirational!!
Old 12-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #459  
Rennie

Cleveland
That is great on getting to move the weight thingie. I love to be able to move mine. Makes me feel so darn good. Best thing I ever did for myself was to find a man to do my hair. He decided I need to have it highlighted this time. It looks great. My hair goes from a short scrunchy cut to a Farah Facett and back again. Have worn my hair like this for a billion years. Hubby likes it and that is all that matters.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:41 AM   #460  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

Hiya Cleveland!
Good luck finding a new hairdresser-sometimes that can be so hard. I'm a big giant tight-wad, I cut my own hair. If it's all crooked in the back, hubby straightens it out. No one can tell the difference (much) or at least they're not saying anything!!

PS. No snow yet...still waiting.....
Old 12-17-2007, 02:40 PM   #461  
Diane

Hey Cleveland: I don't have thin hair, but I have lots of gray! So, I have an all-over color done (you may not need this), but my hairdresser did 4 different colors of highlight. It looks great. She also put a darker color on the hair underneath. That looks really good. It may not be for everyone, but I totally enjoy coloring my hair and doing different things with it. Keep in mind that I work in a conservative office, so it isn't so wacky that it stands out in a freaky kind of way!!

Jan: It has been so cold here that the snow we have just isn't moving. I'm ready for it to melt now!!! I think we might get more by the end of the week.

Well, it was a busy weekend. I got my cards done and did some baking. I need to get a few more things this week and then I'll be good to go!!! I just need to figure out what to have for Christmas dinner. What are all of you having??
Old 12-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #462  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

Hi Diane,
What about having a standing Rib Roast? I put mine on the grill last year and it turned out pretty well. (Ok-I'll fess up, my oven was broken so I had to cook everything on the grill). Anyway, they are looking mighty fine in the meat department, a little spendy, but it's Christmas.

Ok everyone-got a great low cal, low fat dip recipe. EASY TOO!!

Get lowfat cottage cheese and 1 package of dry Ranch Dressing mix. Stick it in the blender until smooth. Serve with veggies, baked chips, etc. It is great!!!

Just had to throw that in there......

Last edited by Janny O; 12-17-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:46 PM   #463  
Rennie

Janny
I do the same thing but use fat free sour cream, not for me yuck but everyone seems to love it.

Having color put on my hair was a scary thing lol. Mine is just natural blonde-brown-red lol depends on how much I am in the sun. I never put coloring on it. Made sure what he put on washed out too. I bet as I get older ( I am getting silver hair ( strange they aren't gray darn things are white ) in amongst my blond hair now, I will start to have it colored. I am very tight with money. I don't spend money on myself. Hubby called me on the cell phone and asked what I was doing, said I am going to break down and get my hair cut, it has been 5 months lol. I called him back and said the man wants to highlight it, hubby said go for it will make you feel good. You need a reward you have worked hard to lose 30lbs ( at the time ). I loved it, made me feel all special and fresh.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:10 AM   #464  

I do my hair alot like you Rennie. A cut about every 5 or 6 months. My girl angle cuts it so it's a little longer than chin length in the front and then quite short in the back. It does that kind of rounded look in the back then. As it grows it just turns into a bobb. When it's shoulder length or a little longer I go in and she does the same cut again. I have really straight hair so it works for me. Yes, I'm getting some grey as well, but not enough to notice it. ATleast that's what I tell myself lol I'm a medium to light ash blonde depending on the season. Usually around Easter time, when my hair is at it's darkest, I use "Clairol Natural Instincts" in a light auburn. The stuff washes out, but I keep some really nice red highlights throughout the entire summer that I don't get naturally from the sun. It works for me and my annual hair cost is about $40.
Diane, I don't have to cook for Christmas. My mother-in-law get's all her children rooms at a hotel with an indoor waterpark. Christmas Eve we go to church and then finger food pot-luck at my mother's, Christmas morn we do gifts and a nice breakfast with just our six plus my unmarried sister-in-law then around 3pm we go off to the hotel. Last year Uno attack was the fun game to play poolside. This year it'll probably be pictionary, because I know my niece is getting it for my children. Scrabble is always huge for us too. The day after Christmas the kids and hubbies swim while me and the "sisters" head shopping we all do an early dinner out and then head home. It's something I never would have done when my children were small, but now the family has gotten quite large, with the addition of spouses and more children, that it's actually quite relaxing. The drive is only 40 min and each child packs just a swim suite and one change of clothes. The cousins get to run and play while us adults catch up, smile, and wave.
I did all my shopping yesterday and wrapped everything as well. I went from being behind to actually being ahead of the schedule. Transformers for my 8 yr old were the only thing I had trouble finding. The SIL in MNPLS is working on it for me, but if he doesn't get the one he wants he'll be cool anyway. My kids have always been great that way. Of course yesterday's marathon put me behind in both my exercise and my housework. Hopefully, I'll have only a few deliveries today and I can focus on the house. It's suppose to get in the 30's today. That would be terrific. We haven't been above 19* in like 2 weeks. I still need to put the nativity on the lawn. The weather should make that possible today.
I'd like to extend a warm welcome to any and all lurkers. This is a great group of ladies. I for one would love to hear from all of you. You have things to teach me as well.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #465  
Diane

Janny: Standing rib roast sounds really good. That might be the thing! I'll go shopping this weekend and see what they have. It will just be my family of four on Christmas day. We'll see the rest of the family on the following weekend.

I'm not quite ready for Christmas yet. I am getting close, but still have a few things to do. I love it when I finally get it all done.

Rennie: Good job on treating yourself to the hair appt. I think that's a good thing to do occasionally. I am not one to spend a lot of money on myself (just look at my closet!), but I do like the treat of having my hair done!

Lovn: That sounds like a great way to spend Christmas... except for the shopping part!! ha!

Last edited by Slashnl; 12-18-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Closed Thread