Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #316  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Another day another shoe string. That is how my day is going. More of the same old same old. Sinuses are driving me crazy, wish the weather would change and get it over with. Today is an easy day 2 hour straighten up of the house and then a walking video. Knee feels better now but I probably shouldn't push it.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:46 PM   #317  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Hey all. With all of this exercise ball discussion, maybe I need to dust mine off.

Having a crabby day today. It's just been one of those weeks, I guess. But, thought I'd come say hi to you guys!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #318  
Rennie

slashnl
Hey, tell me about this exercise ball. I know nothing about it.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #319  
Diane

Well, I'm assuming it is the same thing that I have, which is just a big inflatable ball. It is big enough to sit on. I use(d) it for crunches, but I know they use them in Pilates and other exercises in different ways.

According to some of the other ladies, using their exercise balls has been a turn on to their husbands. Since I don't like working out in front of anyone, I've never tried it as a means of seduction! ha! I'm afraid that my husband would look at me like I lost my mind if I did that!!
Old 11-14-2007, 04:30 PM   #320  

S/C/G: 263/249/125

Height: 5'4"

Rennie -- it has been recommended by trainers and physical therapists that you sit on an exercise ball instead of an office chair. Try it at home, it helps firm up the core muscles because you have to balance. It's a sneaky, "didn't know I was exercising" kind of thing. You can get them at sports/fitness stores, although I've even seem them in Borders and Target.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:40 PM   #321  
Rennie

kappy
But will I be able to reach the desk lol. Yes, I have been reading that. I had this huge ball I bought at walmart when I was doing therapy for my frozen shoulder. I just had to push the thing up and down the wall. I tried sitting on it but I couldn't reach the desk lol.

Slashnl
We were looking on line at them. I said to him you love to watch me do squats and such. How do you think it would look me laying over that ball lol? He said, " Ummmmm, kind of like a seal tryin to get somewhere on dry land. " lol I let him live.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:25 AM   #322  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

Good morning all. I was a regular poster here back in 2003 and 2004. Less than a month after I turned 40 I quit posting, because I threw in the towel. A yo-yo dieter from the age of 12 and I'd had it. I just wanted to be me and happy. Well, that led to a 35# gain in just a few short months. I was fine with it actually until May 2006. I went on a bike ride with a new found friend (9 yrs my junior) and all our children. I was miserable the entire trip, because I knew how much I was holding everyone up. I was just really embarassed. For the first time I truly realized my weight mangment was about my health and well being not the size of my jeans. I'd been waiting years for all of my children to be able to ride a bike and now I was the one unable to ride! I made small changes and a committment to exercise. Not the obsessive killing type of exercise I had used in the past. Just a committment to move more every day. For the first time ever I have exercised some every week for a full 18 months. In that time I've dropped 25 of the 35# gain. I know slow, but I'm happy. The only thing that can make this process better is to be back here talking most every day to people trying to do relatively the same thing. Other info about me.....I'm a 43 SAHM; 4 children 14,12,10, and 8; married 13 yrs; Cub Master; Church youth group leader; soccer mom to the max; and loving the freedom that comes from being in my 40's........by the way I do use an exercise ball at the computer. It forces me to sit up straight and not slouch. The whole exercise turning your hubby on.....I think is universal.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:54 AM   #323  
Diane

Lovnmom: Welcome! Glad you came back. I am sure that we can all relate to your story. It gets to be such an uphill battle to lose weight that you just want to stop. But I also agree with you so much on wanting to be able to do things with my kids and keep up with others without feeling so bad. That's kind of the attitude I've taken "this time". I also think that at 43, I need to get healthy now before I really start having problems. I was running on the basketball court last night with my son and I can really tell that things are better. Not to where they should be, but I'm getting there and had a lot of fun with them. By the way, with all of your kid experience, maybe you can share your knowledge!! Looks like you have quite a group there! My son is 11 and I have a daughter 13. I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

Well, it's been a pretty good week with working out. I've been walking at noon and then playing with the kids at night. I noticed that it is really getting colder now, so I guess we'll just have to bundle up more to be able to stay out there. My daughter's friend (ok, he's her "boyfriend") has a basketball tournament this weekend that we'll be watching. I know a lot of the boys and their parents and my son wants to watch them, too. It is amazing to me that a 7th grade boys team could have 4 players over 6 feet tall. Fun to watch them play. I also need to do some cleaning to get ready for Thanksgiving. MUST... KEEP... MOTIVATED.... I am not a good housekeeper and can get easily distracted while cleaning. But my parents are staying with us, so I need to get it done.

TGIF!!! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 11-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #324  

Today is a free day for me so of course it went well. Free doesn't mean eat whatever and be lazy, but no exercise and a no calorie counting lunch out with the hubby.
Diane, my son plays junior high basketball even though he's only in 6th grade. We live in a very small rural area so to have enough team members usually boys and girls are invited to play a year early. He's 5'5" and is the BIG guy on our team. 3 of my 4 children play every sport offered and I am an avid attending fan. I love to watch them play. My oldest only plays soccer, but does everything musical offered. Thankfully I enjoy that kind of entertainment as well! I too need to get the house in shape for Thanksgiving, but tonight it's DD and her friends over so we can all go watch basketball. My hubby and I are the girls ticket to see the boys play. Of my daughter's friends we're the only family with a son playing JH basketball, so guess where they all want to stay on game nights? I'm really looking forward to getting to know you as well. Great job with your exercise this week!!
Rennie, I'm a stay at home mom. You'd think my house would be clean like your's, but it's not. I seem to find so much to do rather than housework, but you know it's my only fault LOL. Thanks for the welcome. Kudos to you as well.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:25 PM   #325  

Hi Rennie, Your lifestyle is probably not far removed from mine. Being a stay at home mom leaves me plenty of down time for reading and long baths. My husband on the other hand works basically 2 full time jobs, but he was a work-a-holic when I met him. Our lifstyle works for both of us. We make a great team. He makes the living and I make the life worth living. I keep everything organized and rolling so he can work and still make most all games and recitals. My children's activities are very good for both my husband and I, but I do have plenty of plans for how we'll live our lives after the children have left the nest. I think it's very important for everyone everywhere to live life in the way that makes them happy. Some people need constant activity while others don't. I'm very grateful that I can live my life somewhere in between.
My son plays on the 7th grade team. His team lost by 12 tonight, but the 8th grade team won. It was a nice night out. My children were happy and they were right under my nose. That's a huge plus to why I do what I do.
Food stayed good tonight, but I had 3 6oz glasses of red wine now that all children are tucked away. Thanks goodness it's my cheat day.
Thanks for a nice welcome back to 3FC. You ladies are the greatest.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:39 PM   #326  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Hi everyone. I was full of good intentions of doing my grocery shopping for Thanksgiving today and ended up having to take my van in as there was something wrong with it. So I will need to go this weekend instead. Busy busy.

My oldest came home tonight from school for the holiday. So we have a full house again. She has an interview tomorrow at a certain large toy store. I hope she gets it as she needs the money.

My middle daughter got her license this week and she thought the car was hers, now that her sister is home that could change, will change. Fun, fun, fun.

I can't believe Thursday is Thanksgiving I really need to get organised for Christmas as I have to mail presents overseas. I'm hoping there will be some good sales.

Welcome back lovnmom.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:48 PM   #327  

S/C/G: 211/211/135

Height: 5'0"

Good Evening 40 somethings. I have been off for a few days so I am just catching up on all the posts. Welcome Lovnmom. It is nice to hear all about your family. I have a almost 16 year old son. He plays video games and the baratone in the marching and concert band. We went to the high school play, they put on Susical the Musical. What a production, the costumes and make up was great. It was quite a undertaking, they all did a wonderful job. It was funny to see my son watch the girl he as a crush on, it was so cute.

I am what you would call a working stay at home mom. I am lucky enough to have a work at home job. I work 40 hrs a week at home on the computer, but I make my own hours so I have been able to go to all school functions, be a scout leader, help out in the classroom and be home when he gets out of school everyday. It has worked well for that, but I have gained about 40 lbs in the 9 yrs I have been doing it. I just decided that enough was enough. I start my weight loss journey on Monday. I finished all my prep work and lab, physical, and behavioral assesement on Thursday. They called that night to say AI was accepted. So I am on my way and very excited about it. It is going to work this time I can feel it.

Got to jet, have a great weekend. I will let you know how my 1st day goes.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:27 PM   #328  

S/C/G: 211/211/135

Height: 5'0"

Rennie,
Working at home has been great for me. I really fell into it. I was a customer service rep for a health insurance company when they told us they were closing the office in my town. It was a very scary time, but because of our knowledge of the computer system they put us to work at home. There was about 100 of us to begin with and we are down to about a dozen. It is not for everyone, it can get very lonley working all by yourself. I have been lucky, with my work at my son's school and the fact that my husband is self employed so he was home a lot to keep me company.
I have also started selling candles at in home shows just to see other people, I definatly had to sharpen my people skills.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:34 AM   #329  

Good morning all. My youngest dd has basketball practice this morning. So exercise will be walking the halls for 30 min and then some light weights in the school weight room. My exercise and eating have been on target this week. I'm trying to stay positive about that even though the scale is up 2.5# this morning. I know my knees and calves are holding water due to my running on the TM, but it's still tough to see. I'm really thinking I should go back to weighing myself only once a month again. I like walking the halls at school, because of the stairs. The school has a stair climber in the weight room, but I don't think I use it correctly ;-)

Clydegirl, Good luck with the whole car sharing. Mine aren't driving yet. Some days I wish the oldest was. She could do some of my running for me, but then I think, "yikes!"

Candle, Glad you got the ok to start a program. It's very sensible to go through your Dr first and get an ok. What kind of program are you starting?

Rennie, That's really a tough break for your son. I'm sure with your support he'll come up with a plan other than the service. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:07 AM   #330  
Diane

Oh good, some great conversations going!!

I'm at the other end of the spectrum from you gals. I work full time at a high paced, somewhat stressful job. But I really enjoy it. Lots of interaction with businesses and business people, and that's the best part about it. My job exists to facilitate the jobs of our sales people, so we are all one big team. I do love it... most days!! My husband has his own business and works extremely hard, but he also loves it.

My kids are active in sports and my son is in band. I don't let them have more than one sport going on at one time and we do spend a lot of time together as a family. It is extremely rare when we don't all sit down together for dinner. And it is rare when both of us parents can't make it to their games or concerts. We have horses, go camping, fishing, hunting and sometimes just stay at home! Obviously, each person has their own style, and this works well for us. The kids are happier when they are active and having fun with friends and family.

The sacrifice is that I don't have a lot of down time. That is where I struggle with exercise. I have found ways to work it in to the day, but there isn't a lot of stretch! So... my house isn't always the cleanest and the weeds will end up winning at the end of summer, but I'm ok with that... most days!

It's funny that our lifestyles are so different, yet we have a lot of the same struggles. The big one is weight, but I can see in all of your posts that we all care deeply for our kids and want what is best for them. And I'm sure we all know the ups and downs of being in the 40+ generation!

Even though I'm not much of a housekeeper, I have to get this cleaned up this weekend and go shopping for Thanksgiving. I'm a little afraid of what the grocery store will be like, but that's the way it goes! Just adding a little patience to make it through the day!

We're going to the 2nd round of the tournament for the 7th grade boys basketball. Our school's team moved on, so we'll see how they do today. My son is so anxious for his 6th grade season to start. It doesn't start until January, but as fast as time goes, it will be here before you know it!! Lovnmom, my 6th grade son is 11, 5' 4", has a men's size 12 shoe... so he sounds like your son. Fortunately, he has a great heart and a sweet, gentle personality. Amazing how big they get!!

Well, everyone, have a great weekend.
Closed Thread