Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:44 AM   #361  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

Welcome Cathy, We'll all help the best we can and take from you whenever we can as well.
Rennie, Good morning. Hope all is good in your corner of the world. Terrific job on your BMI. You go girl. That is a clear sign of you making great choices for a healthier you. I'm sending you a huge pat on the back!!!

Last edited by lovnmom; 11-26-2007 at 09:46 AM. Reason: wanted to add something
Old 11-26-2007, 12:11 PM   #362  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to you, Looking4mywaist! It sounds like you have a good plan and are ready to make this happen. Best of luck to you!

Well, the holiday is over for now! I wasn't perfect, but I got some exercise in and felt pretty darned relaxed!!! That's what I really wanted to do, just relax.

Now, on to preparing for the big holiday. I am not quite up to it yet, so I'll have to gear up. There's just a lot to do!
Old 11-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #363  
A fresh start

S/C/G: 302/302/202

Height: 5'10

hey, i'm new to this site. looking for some help. I was just recently diagnosed with an elevated blood sugar. The doctor says she doesn't want to say I'm diabetic yet, but there it is...Most of the women in my family have been diagnosed w/diabetes and are insulin dependent. The doctor says I need to lose some weight (duh!) and exercise. I used to love to walk and did so regularly but I have developed tendonitis in my heel and so walking is painful. Right now I can't afford to join a gym and there aren't that many available in my area. I don't know where to begin. I'm a horrible cook. I have arthritis in my knees. I'm 46 years old and I have never been 'normal' weight. I just feel that if I could be successful in this area of my life that maybe it will carry over into other areas in my life. My job, relationships etc. I just don't know where to begin so any advice would be helpful...thanks!
Old 11-26-2007, 04:41 PM   #364  

Hi Pattcher, Being aware of the problem and seeking help is the first big step. I think exercise is very important for getting your blood sugar under control. My suggestion would be to try a stationary bike. You can get your heart rate up w/o putting much stress on your painful heel. Using light and I mean really light 1 - 2 # weights will help build muscle. Muscle burns more calories even when we're just sitting around than fat does. You can use weights while watching tv or even at the computer. Cudos to you for trying to make changes.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:35 PM   #365  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

pattcher
I am 46 too. Hello and welcome. lovn gave some very good advice. When my knees are hurting, arthritis since I was a kid, there are somethings I just can't do. I can sit in a chair and use 1 or 2lb dumbbells. Lifting even this small amount of weight keeps the body moving and the blood flowing. My sugar is down since I started to do exercises too. Sitting in a chair, back straight, hold onto one of the arms with both hands then turn your body as far to the side as you can. This helps the waist, arms, all over. Just keeps things moving.

luvn
Hope you are having a good day. Thank you, everyone can use a pat on the back from time to time. Right now I need more of a kick in the butt lol. I have stayed within all my ranges but I have eaten to much turkey lol.

Slash
Kids still haven't decided if they want to decorate or not. We usually don't decorate the house until a week or two before Christmas so they still have time. They of course will want to decorate outside as soon as it gets really cold lol.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:43 PM   #366  

S/C/G: 211/211/135

Height: 5'0"

Good evening all 40 somethings!!

I had my 1st weigh in today, down 4 lbs. I am so excited.

Pattcher-- you have received great advice, all of which I am going to take to heart and try since I am just starting to throw in a little excercise this week.
Do you have a school around you that has a pool? I have a middle school that offers the pool on Tuesday nights to the public, it is just 2.00. I haven't gone since my son was young but it is a great way to excersice and take the impact off your joints.

It is late, I started my day at 5:30 am and am just ending it. My bedtime tea is just about gone so it is time to say night night.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:31 AM   #367  

Way to go Theresa. 4# gone forever. Nice job!!!!
I too need a kick in the butt. Today was day 5 with no exercise. Everything just kept getting piled up and I was running later and later. We did have a terrific Pack Meeting for the scouts though. A Native American guest speaker, lots of awards and of course pot luck. I didn't overeat, but no 3 miles today either. My load is really light tomorrow. About 2 hrs work and run the car in for some minor maintenance, oh and son has a hair appt and a basketball game, but what's that right! If I don't get some good mileage in I'm just being lazy lol Wish me luck and good vibes. I did just get my Christmas cards ordered. That's a good feeling, well as long as I don't focus on the price!!
Wishing you all a good nights sleep.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:57 AM   #368  

Oh--I didn't come back for a day or two, and I found out that you guys really read my stuff and commented. Thank you, Rennie, Lovn, all. Welcome Cathy. It helps to feel connected somehow. That's one thing that has changed since I went from full to part-time at work--now I feel constantly like a new kid on the block and out of the loop compared to the people who are there in the trenches all day, every day. But stress management made it seem mandatory to cut back.

Down four pounds, Theresa! Awesome. I also think the pool is a wonderful idea. I'm about to spend money on getting my hair colored this week and I'm shy about the chlorine. I guess the old bathing cap would be an option. I wish I had someone to partner up with and go to the gym with--that might keep me more faithful to my plans.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #369  

Diane--

Have you been to Flylady.net? She has a holiday countdown email reminder system that gets you to do certain things each day so that by the time you're there, it's not so overwhelming. I like the idea that all these women who are getting the emails all over the country/world? are doing these things at the same time. Fun.

The email reminders are free. She also sends them for regular daily, weekly, and monthly household chores. So that once a month you've gone through and cleaned all the house, and you're regularly getting rid of clutter, etc., as well as doing much needed assorted extras (like cleaning up the car or the purse). I was so overwhelmed when working full time that I didn't know where to begin. Flylady's reminders have helped me by making it so I don't have to consider the big picture of allthat needs to be done, but that I start where I am, taking little steps, and eventually I will get there.

Hmmm. Sounds like helpful advice for me in the waistline quest, too.

Good eating and moving to all of you. Do something today that gets you moving. I'm going to do a situp and weightlifting 10-minute thing on the floor of the living room.

Yay!
Old 11-27-2007, 11:21 AM   #370  
Rennie

looking4
Never heard of it. Going to check it out. Thanks I would ask they lady that cuts your hair about your hair and the chlorine. I have no idea how it might affect the coloring. Yes, I would love to have someone to do my exercises with as long as they don't want to chatter all the time. Heck just to breath and hold in my abs is a full time job while I exercise. Sometimes my sons girlfriend does the walking videos with me. She makes me laugh so hard I lose all my oxygen lol.

lovn
You really have to take some time for yourself each and everyday. Even if it is only enough time for a walking video or a push up or two. You are just to darn busy lol.

Candle
That is just wonderful. Congrats. You just keep on the path and in no time you will be right where you want to be. Has to make you feel soooooooo good to see your efforts are paying off.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:02 PM   #371  
Diane

Ok... sometimes I am so illiterate at computers. I just realized that I missed a bunch of posts last time I was on and posted. I had gone back a page to catch up, and posted at the end of that page instead of reading all of the others on the very last page (if that makes any sense at all). Now... I think I'm really all the way caught up.

CathyT: Welcome! Glad to have you with the rest of us 40-ish women!

Rennie: Funny! I think that kids work very hard to find the least convenient moment to do things! I know for sure that I'm putting off decorating for awhile. I have lots going on this weekend, so that's on the back burner. I might make some cookies. I can usually have the cookies around without killing my plan. It isn't the sweets that is my problem, it is the regular food!

Lovn: That's funny, too! You were just trying to tidy up and ended up doing a little comedy routine.

Ppatcher: Welcome to the site, post often! I'm looking forward to getting to know you! I was wondering if maybe you could get some kind of orthotic to put in your shoe for the tendonitis. (I have no idea if you can, just wondering) I had something wrong with the tendon/muscle that runs from your heel to your toes (can't remember what it's called...) and I was able to get a support/cushion thing that made it so I could keep walking. I just think that walking is such a great way to start exercising. You can just keep building up on the distance and speed to make it more and more challenging as you progress. Anyway, glad to "meet" you!

Theresa - Congrats!! That is an awesome start! You must feel so good and so proud of what you've done.

Looking4mywaist - You know, I think I actually signed up for that flylady thing once. But I think I did it wrong and was just overwhelmed by the number of emails that I received. I might have to check back and try it again.

Liz - How's it going? You been mucking out the stables lately?? Ha!

As for me, things are going pretty well. I'm not very excited about the cold weather that's coming in, but I guess it is winter. It just makes it hard to get outside and exercise. My daughter has volleyball club tryouts on Saturday so we've been trying to get out each night to work on it. And my son starts basketball in January, so I've been taking him out too. They love it, but boy was it cold last night. I told them that if they worked harder, they'd be warmer. Ha!

Guess I better get back to work....... See ya!
Old 11-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #372  
Rennie

Slash
We generaly do the tree two weeks before christmas. When the kids were little I did it christmas eve after they went to bed. It was wonderful to see their faces when they woke up to see the tree and presents. They thought santa brought it all.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:29 AM   #373  

Diane--

Yes, the emails can be overwhelming from flylady.net if you feel like you have to read them all. I only read the ones that interest me and for no longer than 10 minutes, just enough time to stay inspired and learn new things, and then delete the rest--REALLY! It's ok to delete them. The reminders come every day and the rest are testimonials from members about what has worked for them or what has happened that's positive related to this stuff.

The reminders really do keep me on track much better than when I'm on my own.

About the cold weather--I guess I'm glad I'm in Myrtle Beach, even though I do worry about it being even warmer than usual these days (global warming?). I know if I were somewhere cold I would want a partner to walk with... Anyone else have the problem of secretly wishing that any exercise you do can all be done on the floor? Yes, I know it's hard to get the heart rate up when you're on the floor, but still, being honest, I'd rather do a sit up and a leg lift than a bit of jumping and lunging. I can't decide whether this is funny or tragic...

Haven't read the stuff about how often we should weigh in. I'm afraid to get near the scale for fear that my two pounds will have come back the other way. I'm thinking once a week--twice?

Hope you fearless women are having a wonderful morning.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:10 AM   #374  

Diane, I detest cold weather. The older I get the less I enjoy it. That's why you'll see my exercise has mostly to do with the TM this time of year. The nearest gym to me is 28 miles away so with my busy schedule that is totally out of the question. Luckily I enjoy the TM as long as I have good music nice and loud. Wishing your kids good luck with the sports try outs. My son's games were tough last night. He played well even though I'm convinced he has bronchitis. Getting that boy a Dr appt TODAY!!
Rennie, Christmas eve tree decorating was a tredition for us for many years. My family has a large gathering and it just didn't work for us when our children were small. All my siblings are much older than me so I was the only one with babies and toddlers. I just wasn't comfortable. Long story, so we would go to church and then just have our own little Christmas here. Tree and cookie decorating, homemade cocoa, peanuts Christmas on tv....you know I miss that. Now everything seems to be lots of people all the time. I did take your advice for some time for myself yesterday. I got 3 miles on the TM and felt so awesome. Some housework went undone, but sacrifices have to be made. Right?
Lookng, I'm so the opposite of you. I'd rather do any exercise standing than on the floor. I don't mind yoga, because I feel so strong afterward, but anything else, forget it. I'll hide. LOL As for the weighing. The "experts" suggest not more than once a week, once a month is even better. Myself, I'm a scaleaholic and need to see the info, good or bad, every day. Sometimes more than once a day, but never more than 3. I know, obsessive, but in my youth I couldn't get near a scale w/o weighing. I have made progress. Really I have.
Yesterday was good. Ate healthy. Did my 3 miles and still had time for most of my housework and family activities. I even got my e-mail from Snapfish letting me know my Christmas cards are on their way. Who wants to address them for me? Hoping you all have a terrific day today!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:17 AM   #375  
Diane

Looking4mywaist - Ha! I guess that it is true that I could actually delete the extra emails I didn't want to read. That probably would have been a better response than to run away from the computer... screaming!

Lovnmom - I'm with you on the cold weather. It never bothered me as much when I was younger. But with you living in Wisconsin, does it stay cold for a long time? I actually live in a fairly mild climate, but we do have 4 seasons. I just can do without the cold.

I had kind of forgotten about Christmas cards until you mentioned it, Lovn. I think I have some... I guess I better look. I have really scaled down my card list. I love getting them, but they are kind of tedious to get done!

I'm kind of in Scrooge mode right now. Doing a lot of bah humbug about Christmas. I will get better as it gets closer, but right now I am looking a lot like the Grinch. "She's a mean one, Mrs. Grinch!" Ha!

Oh and on the scale issue, I have an official weigh in day on Monday. But there are times that I'll check it during the rest of the week. It is such an individual thing, though. If it drives you crazy to see fluctuations, I definitely would not do it more than once a week. If you can live through the ups and downs, checking during the week can also keep you on plan.
Closed Thread