Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #436  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

Hi Rennie, That really sounds like fun. We always want to walk, but the last 3 yrs temp haven't co-operated. We have 3 elderly risedences in town. We let them know in advance that we're coming. We bring cookies and milk and share. It's really nice. Is your group just friends from the neighborhood or a group your children belong to? I hope your weather holds for you!
My food has been good. Yes, I have had a few Christmas treaties, but nothing out of line. I'm really learning to eat like a "thin" person. I did break the cardinal rule on Sun. I took a molasses cookie from the tray. It wasn't very good, but I ate every bit of it anyway. Sadly, the whole time I was eating it I was thinking, "this is a total waste of 200+ calories," and even that didn't stop me from finishing it. Shame on me. I walked another 5 miles on the snowmobile trail today. It was a little easier, but tomorrow I'll either go back to the TM or maybe walk a country road.
I wish more of you could come out and play (chat)!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #437  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Hi guys!
I haven't totally checked out! I have been feeling a little blah today. Nothing is wrong, but just a little "meh" today. Maybe it is because of the snow that we have. We were so spoiled by the nice weather in November! And I know that I do not have it nearly as bad as the rest of the country... particularly the midwest... but I am just not a fan of snow, ice and cold.

Sounds like you all are in the Christmas spirit! It's fun to watch the kids in these shows. My son has a band concert on Thursday. Looking forward to it!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:24 PM   #438  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

lovn
Started with just a few kids from church when we first moved out here. Over the last 8 years we have added more and more kids from the neighborhood. Last year we had close to 100 kids lol. Makes it nice for everyone. If family have things planned one weekend their children can come another weekend. We walk some of it and drive some of it. Remember I live out in the country lol. Some of us live close to each other, others have houses further apart.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:26 AM   #439  

Hi Diane, Sorry to hear you're feeling meh. Have a good time at your son's band concert!
Rennie, That's amazing. To get 100 kids your small towm must be alot larger than my small town lol That would be really fun
I'm taking the car in for service this morning. Planning on doing some shopping while in town. I won't have near enough time though. I'm helping in the Chritmas store at school again today. Area merchants and individuals donate items. We commandeer a room in the school and display everthing attractively and then the children shop for Christmas gifts. It works well. Last week notes were sent home and parents filled out who their child would be shopping for and how much they could spend.(Everything is 1,2, or 3$) Today and tomorrow each class will have a chance to shop. Helpers like me will help them find an appropriate gift and then we wrap it up pretty. No child is left out. Everyone shops no matter what. It's a terrific fund raiser, because everything is profit. The money is used to lessen the cost of field trips and the elementary have a huge spring dance etc...It's fun!
Hoping to get at least 3 miles in somewhere!
Old 12-12-2007, 08:26 AM   #440  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

Wow-sounds like everyone is having a great holiday season. It even feels a little like winter here. I really miss living in a small town....
Hope everyone's wallets are holding out. Mine hasn't taken a beating yet-but I'm sure it will.

Be safe out there!!
Old 12-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #441  
Rennie

Janny
I buy all year long and save the things for Christmas. My wallet never takes a beating lol.

lov
Our township just became a town a couple of years ago. We have 1500 school age kids. I live in " down town ". Which consists of the fire station-police station-mayors office, a couple of banks, a couple of gas stations, and 5,000 churches lol. Not really a town. Two streets down we have a pig farmer, another street over we have a hog farmer. Ok not your average town lol. Like I said it really isn't a town just a farming community that has been made into a legal town. We have a Santa shop at our grade school too. I use to help out there, was great fun. My daughter of course is one of the rabble rouser's. Christmas concert at school was almost called off. The instructor wanted to sing songs like jingle bells ( nothing religious ) and the kids wanted to sing songs like away in the manger. lol the kids won.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #442  

S/C/G: 210/210/174

Height: 5'4"

I live in a very small town, no banks, 1 credit union, American legion, 1 restaurant, 2 convenience stores, 1 library, 1 hardware, 1 pharmacy, 5 church's, and 1 Central school, that graduates approximately 15 students per year. But I love small town life. I forgot to add 1 police station, and a town hall.

Wilma
Old 12-12-2007, 12:35 PM   #443  
Rennie

slim
I would love to live in a town that small. To many city people moving out here for my liking. The farms are leaving more and more every year. When my daughter is out of high school we are out of here. I think my daughter said there were 55 in her graduating class.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 12-12-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #444  
Diane

I like small towns in a way, but I would miss having the shopping and activities available as you do in a larger town. I live out in the country... at least for now until they start building in the fields around our house! But within a 15 mile drive, I can be in town. It isn't a metropolis like Denver or anything like that, but the area population is about 120,000. So, we have the shopping and lots of recreational opportunities.

I used to live in a much smaller town in the mountains. It was fun for the time being, but I got tired of the lack of privacy. Everyone knew everything about everyone else!! Sometimes I like blending in!!

Well, there's sun today. My moodiness has passed... somewhat!! ha! Maybe I can get out and do some walking today. It's still cold, but the sun makes it seem nicer!
Old 12-12-2007, 07:27 PM   #445  
Rennie

Slash
I can drive to a mal; in 1/2 an hour. Live about 15 to 20 min from Akron. Not so far away from a city. I shop in the little stores close by. Give money to the neighborhoods lol. I am the Miss Marple of the neighborhood. Sit each morning on the porch or in the solarium and see what is going on. Oh the things I know. For example, I knew way before the spouses that one spouse went to work then down the street another spouse went to work. About an hour later the one spouse left at home would walk her dog up the street and go to the other spouses house that was left at home lol. Sometimes the man would walk his dog to the womans house, sometimes the woman would walk her dog to the mans house. I knew months and months before the husband came home about an hour after he left for work lol. I know the old man who likes to walk up and down the road naked in the early morning hours. I know the one that cross dresses in his house without the curtains closed quite all the way. I know everything that goes on within seeing distance from my house. I love living in a small town. Wish it were smaller. My husband will laugh and ask, so what is going on today in Paton Place. lol
Old 12-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #446  

S/C/G: 210/210/174

Height: 5'4"

OMG, Shy you are to funny. I live about 2 miles outside of town, and my nearest neighbor is about 1/4 mile down the road. I do have some new city neighbors that just bought vacant land next door, but they are so nice.

Wilma
Old 12-12-2007, 08:19 PM   #447  
Rennie

slim
You laugh, if these rich people ( I am the poor folk ) knew half the things I know about them they would just die or at least want to lol.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:28 AM   #448  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

Rennie-
YOU ARE CRACKIN ME UP GIRL!!! Check this out! I don't even know my next door neighbor's name! How funny is that!! We quickly learn to keep to ourselves around here. It's just too dangerous. People are shooting each other every day. When the doorbell rings, we run and hide. (That is hilarious). Forget about walking!! Gosh-you even have to watch yourself in the grocery store parking lot for Heaven's Sake. Creeps with guns come right up to you and do whatever. What the heck is this world coming too? I'M MOVING TO ALASKA.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #449  
Diane

Rennie, you are entertaining!!! Ha, ha! Makes me wonder what all of my neighbors do when I'm not watching! Ha! Funny, funny, funny.
I don't think I'd like to live in a bigger town than where I am at, though. This is just about right for me. Especially since I live outside of the city.
What is sad to me is how the small towns are struggling to keep their identity. Around here, there is just so much growth, you see the farms and ranches sold only to have a bunch of homes built. Sad to see the nice hay fields ruined by putting in these huge, high-priced houses right in the middle.

My son has a band concert tonight. Looking forward to going to that!
Old 12-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #450  

I am centerally located. I live right in the middle of nowhere and everywhere. My town boasts of 217 for a population. 4 miles to the S is the town where I grew up and where my children go to school pop 998 We graduate about 35 students each year. 5 miles to the W is a neighboring town of 1200+. That's where I do most of my grocery shopping and daughter takes dance class. 4 miles to the N is another town of 1200+. That's where we attend church. Thus the middle of everywhere, but yet nowhere. For a Wal-Mart I have to drive 30 miles and the closest real mall is 70 miles away, but I'm a mere 27 miles from WI Dells woo hoo. Which we rarely visit, because it's so close. The driving isn't a big deal though, because most every mile can be traveled at 60-65 mph. My sister-in-law lives in MNPLS and before that Chicago. She gets nowhere in 30 min. As for the "evereybody knowing your business thing." I don't have a problem. Just like any city dweller I have my 10 close friends and even though I know most people, in all 4 small towns, well enough to say hello and ask about their family, I don't "know" about them and I'm a boring Cub Master, choir member, soccer coach, mother of 4 that no-one bothers to talk about. Anymore I can see the hubby and I moving after the kids are grown, but for now I like it here and we tend to spend weekends in LaCrosse and Madison 5 or 6 times a year to soak up the culture. You know, like Monster Truck Rally. Kidding really!!!
3 miles on the TM today. Finding it much harder to ignore Christmas treats. Hubby and I brought home the tree today. We plan to put it up Sat and me and the kids are making ginger bread men. I'll do all my shopping Mon. ALONE. We never rush into Christmas right after Thanksgiving. We're just gearing up when alot of people are sick of it already. The Christmas program is at school tomorrow and at church on Sun. Other than singing in the choir Christmas Eve my "outside" Christmas obligations will be over. The last week before Christmas I play by my rules. I don't go to parties I really don't want to. We spend it together at home. Sounds kinda small town.
Have a great day Ladies!
Closed Thread