Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #196  

S/C/G: 217/174/164

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the tips on olive oil and coconut oil. And Nioxin for that matter. I think I will give all 3 a try. I met a hairdresser at a party about a month ago that suggested Nioxin for my thin hair also.

I have my first official "weigh in" in over 3 months today. It was weird to think about what winter outfit might be light weight this morning! It will be interesting to see how my measurements have changed since starting maintenance. I feel like my shape has changed a lot.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #197  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Height: 5'5"

Okay ladies, you have me curious, what kind of coconut oli do you use? Is there a particular name brand? I thought coconut oil was high in fat, isn't that what they use in the theatres to make popcorn... going to have to try this and see what it does. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #198  
start IP Feb 8 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricious View Post
I have taken the liberty of starting a new maintenance challenge on fat secret for regular maintenance. It starts Monday January 9 runs for 4 weeks. Hopefully those of you who are currently in the reboot will be done in time for the next challenge (or for the start of this one )... Everyone is welcome of course!
Hi Cap, I looked for it but can't find it is it called the Valentine's day challenge? Thanks.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #199  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Height: 5'8"

2ride- I did invitation only as I wanted to keep it to IP users. It is unfortunately a bit roundabout- I have sent you a friend request that you have to accept then I will be able to invite you to the challenge. Look forward to having you there!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #200  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST View Post
Okay ladies, you have me curious, what kind of coconut oli do you use? Is there a particular name brand? I thought coconut oil was high in fat, isn't that what they use in the theatres to make popcorn... going to have to try this and see what it does. Thanks.
What I'm using right now is Aman Prana bio fair trade coconut oil. I Googled it and it came up in MyFitnessPal so I'm guessing it's available in North America. And Palm oil is what they use on popcorn. Next time you bake use some instead of butter or other oils. Adds a nice flavor. I don't remember the ratio of butter to oils, sorry.

Last edited by Linden; 01-05-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #201  
start IP Feb 8 2011

Quote:
2ride- I did invitation only as I wanted to keep it to IP users. It is unfortunately a bit roundabout- I have sent you a friend request that you have to accept then I will be able to invite you to the challenge. Look forward to having you there!
Thanks cap accepted friend request.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #202  

Height: 5'4"

Just had an eye opening moment. I was drinking my choc shake heated up and eating my steamed broccoli/cauliflower at lunch and I told my hubby how much I missed it. (We eat lunch together everyday.) He says, "you know what I miss? I miss the wife who didn't complain of head aches and wasn't tired all the time." He's right! I have been having the worst headaches and "spinny" stomach and it's been about the last 2 or 3 weeks. Funny that that is when I started going off the deep end. I feel fine when I have a "cheat" here and there and get right back to it but I can't do it days on end or I just feel bogged down and my headache never seems to go away. *I know cheat days aren't promoted in the first few phases but I had a few and was still losing a little towards the end because after 5 months or so it's the only way I could keep myself going sometimes. It wasn't much and it wasn't often.*

So, I know these first few days are going to suck royally and the heachaches will only get worse before they get better but it's so worth it. Maybe this time when I phase off I will remember that so I can keep the weight off!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #203  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Itsabout time ..I hope you are feeling better with the headaches and being tired. Husbands are so blunt, aren't they?

Linden..You have me intrigued about using olive oil on your face. With weight loss, I have more wrinkles. I am using an expensive Biaggi treatment, but am not sure it is doing any good.

Cap: I signed up for the challenge. I should be there. I found a recipe you might like. Roast cauliflower with walnut oil. Then mix roasted cauliflower with walnuts and feta chees. Sounds wonderful.

Paint Lady. I do not always eat a carb for dinner either. My coach said it was Ok to eat it at lunch.

PixlKitty: I have big bags of raspberries in my freezer. I love them. Hope your Phase1/3 is going well.

2ride. Hope you Phase 1 reboot is working. You do fit your clothes and sound motivated.

Pauley: I am going to try walnut oil. Habanero oil sounds great.
I have a monthly weigh in on Monday..winter clothes and all.
Darby: Glad Day 3 is goin well!!!!!
Sandy and others..hope reboot or Phase 1 is going well.

Late start today. Found some new recipes to try.

Last edited by Maile; 01-05-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #204  
Maile

Weight Maintenance Definitions, Revisited
By Angela Baldo– September 19, 2011

We're continuing to find new research on maintenance definitions, but as the search continues, we often find answers just lead to more questions.
A definition can impose order and structure on a vague concept. And yet the research continues to show that pinpointing maintenance is harder than it looks.

Last year I wrote a column about the varying definitions of maintenance used in scientific studies. I followed this up with an illustration using data from contestants on the TV show, “The Biggest Loser.” In the second column, I arrived at a definition of maintenance as “staying under a BMI of 30, assuming normal body composition.”

I recently discovered a research article by Stevens et. al., “The definition of weight maintenance,” published in The International Journal of Obesity in 2006. This paper reviews definitions used in the scientific literature and recommends using +/- 3% of body weight. You can download the article for free and read it yourself: http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v3.../0803175a.html

If you’re concerned with maintenance, the paper is well worth reading. The most interesting parts are Tables 1 and 2 which summarize the definitions of maintenance in scientific studies and the “Discussion and recommendations” section near the end.

The authors end up defining a working maintenance range as +/- 3% of a designated body weight.Here is how they arrived at that number:
1) It needs to be expressed in % of weight because taller / heavier people experience greater weight fluctuations than shorter / smaller people and it has to work no matter how tall you are.

2) It needs to be smaller than clinically-relevant weight changes (generally accepted to be 5% or more of body weight). This is because if your weight changes enough to have an effect on your health, then you’re not maintaining; you’re either losing or gaining.
3) It needs to be bigger than usual weight measurement error due to hydration levels, etc. (generally 1-2% of body weight). We want the number to reflect actual weight changes, not random measurement error.

“The Definitions of Maintenance”
International Journal of Obesity, 2006
J Stevens1, K P Truesdale, J E McClain1 and J Cai
http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v3.../0803175a.html
Abstract:
There is currently no consensus on the definition of weight maintenance in adults. Issues to consider in setting a standard definition include expert opinion, precedents set in previous studies, public health and clinical applications, comparability across body sizes, measurement error, normal weight fluctuations and biologic relevance. To be useful, this definition should indicate an amount of change less than is clinically relevant, but more than expected from measurement error or fluctuations in fluid balance under normal conditions. It is an advantage for the definition to be graded by body size and to be easily understood by the public as well as scientists. Taking all these factors into consideration, the authors recommend that long-term weight maintenance in adults be defined as a weight change of less than 3%.How you define the “designated body weight” is important, of course. As the authors point out in the “Biologic relevance” section, if you maintain an obese weight you might still have negative health consequences.

Let’s use our dataset of Biggest Loser contestantsto see how this definition looks. We will arbitrarily define the “designated body weight” as the weight at finale, just to see how people might compare.I’ve added a column “% Change from Finale Weight” and sorted from smallest to largest. People who reported a “Current Weight” (on 12/1/2009) within +/- 3% of their finale weight are highlighted in blue.

The four that had remained within the 3% margin were Estella Hayes, Jerry Skeabeck, Nichole Machalik, and Ali Vincent. They also happen to be four of the six folks who stayed within 5 lbs of their finale weight.

Here is where it gets interesting, though. Would you consider Jerry Skeabeck a successful maintainer? He lost 119 lbs and got to a BMI of 38 (severely obese). By some definitions (mine included, BMI < 30) he isn’t actually DONE losing the weight, and therefore can’t be considered “in maintenance” in the first place.

On the other hand Mark Kruger kept his BMI under 30 but gained back 21.15% of his weight. Would he NOT be considered a successful maintainer? I would argue that he has been successful at keeping his weight in a relatively healthy range, even if he did regain 33 lbs.

Obviously finale weight is not a great definition of “designated body weight” if you want to consider BMI or other weight-associated health scales. And it is probably a poor “designated body weight” anyway, as the contestants were competing in weight loss for money and can make a legitimate case for needing to lose as much as possible for the finale without expecting to actually live at that weight afterward.

In the end I think I still like my definition the most (stay under a BMI of 30). But that is how it should be, I suppose, since it’s my life I’m managing. Each of us has to come up with a definition we think is valid and that we can live with. And then stick with it.

The most important is — what’s yours?
.Link to this post!

Written by: Angela Baldo on September 19, 2011..
About Angela Baldo
From fatass to badass! Angela is a computational biologist in Upstate NY, who discovered extreme kayaking after her 180-pound weight loss. Now she holds her own on the rivers with men 20 years her junior. .No Comments
Old 01-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #205  

S/C/G: 212/196/160

Height: 5'7"

Maile,
Love the info- will read the articles in the links tonight when I get home. "from fatass to badass". love it. Thank you
Old 01-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #206  
Maile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinedat47 View Post
Maile,
Love the info- will read the articles in the links tonight when I get home. "from fatass to badass". love it. Thank you
I have not read the article either. It you calculate a 3 percent up or down range for me that gives me 4 pounds up or down. 8 pounds of leeway..Interesting.

That girl is amazing losing 180 pounds and kayaking.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #207  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
i invited you to join.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #208  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST View Post
I use nutiva. Yes, they used to use coconut oil to make popcorn. Then the vegetable oil lobbyists ruined everything and lobbied to have it swapped to canola oil, which is much worse for us.

Some coconut oil smells like coconut, others are "refined" and have less odor. I use the stuff that smells like coconut on my face. I love it!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #209  
Maile

That was a long article just to prove the 3% maintenance. I still trust a BMI of normal. Although a 3 pound range does fit with my range for maintenance.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #210  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
Linden..You have me intrigued about using olive oil on your face. With weight loss, I have more wrinkles. I am using an expensive Biaggi treatment, but am not sure it is doing any good.
Thanks for the article. And I don't want to mislead anyone here. I, too, am getting some wrinkles having lost weight. But one might say they were due, having avoided them for so long. I don't know what effect coconut or olive oil will the have after weight loss. But it sure is good for skin and as Pixylkitty says, dirt cheap in comparison to skin care products. Recently I've been experimenting with adding a Knox gelatin packet to stuff -- shake, tea, coffee. It works best with the hot drinks and is virtually tasteless.
Closed Thread