Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #211  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Good Morning,

I love all the info, I am an info junky. So lets start with Olive Oil for skin & hair, it is wonderful, have used for ove a decade, UNTIL, I discovered Jojoba Oil, it is fabulous for skin & hair and now I have been reading how wonderful Argan Oil is for the skin. Alls I know is that (not kidding) never a day or tow goes by and someone tells me that I have the most beautiful skin. I went to knittling last night and everyone there was commenting on my skin and they can't believe that I will be 54 yrs old on the 7th. I have fair sensitive skin and I put Jojoba oil on every night before bed (don't worry it's not oily, but for a couple of minutes)

Coconut oil - I have made homemade soap with it before, but not cooked with it, but I will check it out at Wegmans today.

Coconut H2O - My coach had me making my wildberry yogurt shakes with it in maintenance, because it is so very good for you.

Check in with my peeps later, gotta go
Old 01-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #212  

Height: 5'7'

Hi all. I am officially back on track after going off the deep end over the holidays. I gained 5 pounds back and am really disappointed in myself. I've been doing phase 1 since Tuesday and am really having a hard time starting up again. The first time around it was much easier.

I think I'm also struggling because I am using alternative products but having a hard time finding alternative products that taste as good as IP!I've read through all of the alterntive stickies and threads in search of finding drinks that taste good. I bought a vanilla and a chocolate Jillian Michael's whey protein powder and threw them both out - UGH they were gag-worthy!!!

Part of my success was my daily check in on this site - I may not post every day but I do read everyday. I stopped doing that over the holiday and boy was that a mistake!

Thanks to all of you who are the regular posters. You articulate what all of us go through.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #213  

S/C/G: 217/174/164

Height: 5'8"

I am excited to try the oils and will be looking for them this weekend. I wonder if I smear them on my stomach, will they help with the wrinkles? As of this week, I have a wrinkly stomach! Weird how aging seems to happen overnight.

I had my first weigh in since the end of September with my coach last night. It went well. I've lost 10 lbs since entering maintenance and quite a few inches (mostly in stomach - hence the wrinkles?). I got a sample of an IP chocolate chip cookie that was quite tasty! I will make an appointment for next month as well. I like the idea of keeping that accountability going. I need to avail myself of every tool to keep this weight off.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #214  
aka CAT

S/C/G: 212.4/204.6/170

Height: 5'-10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamack View Post
Good Morning,

I love all the info, I am an info junky. So lets start with Olive Oil for skin & hair, it is wonderful, have used for ove a decade, UNTIL, I discovered Jojoba Oil, it is fabulous for skin & hair and now I have been reading how wonderful Argan Oil is for the skin. Alls I know is that (not kidding) never a day or tow goes by and someone tells me that I have the most beautiful skin. I went to knittling last night and everyone there was commenting on my skin and they can't believe that I will be 54 yrs old on the 7th. I have fair sensitive skin and I put Jojoba oil on every night before bed (don't worry it's not oily, but for a couple of minutes)

Coconut oil - I have made homemade soap with it before, but not cooked with it, but I will check it out at Wegmans today.

Coconut H2O - My coach had me making my wildberry yogurt shakes with it in maintenance, because it is so very good for you.

Check in with my peeps later, gotta go
At 51 years of age, I too get told quite often that (1) I don't look my age and (2) my skin looks fabulous. I swear by Argan oil for the face. I alternate my nightitme products but it is by far my favorite....at least 3 night per week paying close attention to creeping crow's feet. (Daytime I stick with my Vitamin C products) I have tried coconut oil but wasn't so fond of it. I rather cook with it....which I do when not on IP (been sticking with the olive oil). Years ago, a natuopath advised me to incorporate it in my diet to help nourish my thyroid. I haven't quite figured out how to make that a daily occurance. I also swear by jojoba (plus other) based oils for my hair. I am a WEN girl and have been for many, many years. The best cleansing conditioner EVER. I also discovered his oils by accident and my thick, naturally curly hair has never been the same. I am proud to say I am no longer a "hair product junkie". As for the rest of the body.......shea butter is all you'll ever need.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #215  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Height: 5'5"

Stolaf - I am with you Alternatives are hard after having IP, I am using Jillian Michaels as it has similar values to IP. I mix it with a little instant coffee so it has been okay so far oh and I found it kind of runny so have been adding ice and that for some reason thickens it up a lot. Also add cocoa once and a while... just bought the vanilla I am hoping I can doctor it up too. I do admit my first try I didn't like it but I continue as I need to lose what I gained and I want to save just a little, but I really miss the IP products.

Pauley - omg, since losing weight I have weird wrinkles my arms and my stomach mostly... am going to look for jojoba oil and coconut oil... I also wondered about the coconut waters may have to buy a bottle to try, maybe with my shake in the morning.

Have a great day all.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #216  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint Lady View Post
So, google research tells me that coconut oil is the best thing since sliced bread. True? Helps regulate blood sugar, stabilize the pancreas, improves hair, skin, nails, prevents bacterial infections, treats HIV and STDs, lower in fat than traditional cooking oils. What do you guys think? I might be buying some next shopping trip. Maybe I'll be able to eat carbs for dinner and my hair will stop falling out? Lol! One can always hope! If nothing else, I'll try it in my coffee. Thanks Linden!
It's also being used very successfully for alzheimer patients! Great research from a trial in England and when I was on the alzheimer chat line for Pops, there was an MD who was using it for her husband who had very early onset. His progress was astonishing. http://www.coconutketones.com/WhatIfCure.pdf

I also have a friend who is quite sure his use of Coconut oil has helped his viral load stay low for HIV. All around great food from nature! Thanks for reminding me I have an unopened jar in my pantry!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #217  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinmygrooveback View Post
At 51 years of age, I too get told quite often that (1) I don't look my age and (2) my skin looks fabulous. I swear by Argan oil for the face. I alternate my nightitme products but it is by far my favorite....at least 3 night per week paying close attention to creeping crow's feet. (Daytime I stick with my Vitamin C products) I have tried coconut oil but wasn't so fond of it. I rather cook with it....which I do when not on IP (been sticking with the olive oil). Years ago, a natuopath advised me to incorporate it in my diet to help nourish my thyroid. I haven't quite figured out how to make that a daily occurance. I also swear by jojoba (plus other) based oils for my hair. I am a WEN girl and have been for many, many years. The best cleansing conditioner EVER. I also discovered his oils by accident and my thick, naturally curly hair has never been the same. I am proud to say I am no longer a "hair product junkie". As for the rest of the body.......shea butter is all you'll ever need.
Try the Coconut oil in your hot cereal for phase 3-4 breakfast, and if you're in maintenance drizzled into brown rice, or chicken soup with lemongrass (to go Thai in flavor) and fresh lime. If you're in ph1 2 or two, I guess you could one could alternate with EVOO? I also think we could use it for a cool salad dressing. If I think of anything else I'll chime in.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #218  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauley View Post
I am excited to try the oils and will be looking for them this weekend. I wonder if I smear them on my stomach, will they help with the wrinkles? As of this week, I have a wrinkly stomach! Weird how aging seems to happen overnight.

I had my first weigh in since the end of September with my coach last night. It went well. I've lost 10 lbs since entering maintenance and quite a few inches (mostly in stomach - hence the wrinkles?). I got a sample of an IP chocolate chip cookie that was quite tasty! I will make an appointment for next month as well. I like the idea of keeping that accountability going. I need to avail myself of every tool to keep this weight off.
It's pricey...but I splurged on Mustela "9 months" post pregnancy cream. I feel it really helped. I also got Walmarts cellulite gel and used it on my belly upper arms and thighs. It all helped.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #219  
Started IP August 1, 2011

S/C/G: 218/158/160

My grocery list just gets stranger and stranger, lol! I live in Smalltown, USA, so have to wait till next week to pick up some of these oils, but I will be trying them out! I also have wrinkles on my stomach and a few weeks ago I noticed some wrinkled skin on my forearm. I quickly changed the position my arm was in. WTH? I'm in my 30's, never had wrinkles until IP. I was thinking that the rapid rate at which we've all lost is a contributing factor. That's one of the reasons I phased off for now. Hair loss, jiggly, wrinkly skin, expenses, I just need a break to catch up...everywhere. At this point, I'm definitely willing to give the oils a shot. I will be like a greased pig going to bed every night if it helps.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #220  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Height: 5'8"

Maile- I enjoyed the article about weight maintenance and keeping within +/- 3% of baseline makes sense. This is what most of us define as our 'ceiling number' that number that is 3-5 pounds above where we like to be and indicates that Phase 1 is called for until a return to baseline has been achieved. I read a line in the regular maintenance page of 3FC that I will never forget... "when you lose even one pound you become a maintainer" ... as long as that one pound loss is maintained then you are a maintainer. Each of the pounds that we have lost is valuable and if we can value the last pound lost as much as the first pound lost, well, it seems that maintenance will of course follow. I had a funny thought last night... it was a metaphor in which gaining weight is like committing a crime... going on a diet is like being sentenced to jail time... and maintenance is probation when you have been released.
It seems that yes, you are out and now you can go back to living without being confined but if you do not follow the rules of maintenance you will end up back in jail. Eventually if you follow the guidelines of probation for a set amount of time you will no longer have to be so strict but you will not be able to go do whatever you choose either- there will always be a need for inhibition. I most definitely consider myself to still be on probation and I check in with all of you, my probation officers to let you know that I am abiding by the rules of my probation. Bet you all never knew that I considered you probation officers, eh?
2ride- When I went on FatSecret to invite you it showed that you haven't accepted my friend request yet... not sure why?? But if you could maybe try again so that I can be sure to invite you for the start that would be great! And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the avatar!!! YOU look freakin' awesome!!!!!
If anyone has any mini challenges that they would like to add or if you want anything modified please let me know and I will attempt to do so...
Pauley- are you staying on Phase 1 for a bit more? My stomach situation is very similar but my great shining hope is that it looked much worse when I first hit maintenance. It definitely seems to be tightening- here's hoping another five months will help even more!
Paintlady- you had me howling! I too am in my early thirties and boy am I ever much more sharpei like since finishing up with IP, especially around the eyes and stomach. I see lots of slathering in my crystal ball. You all have opened up an oily extravaganza!
People magazine featured a 'half their size' issue this week (always my favorite issue of the year but it is happy this year to not feel quite so envious but rather content with my efforts). Anyway above and beyond the success stories they focused on one person from each year since they began running this issue (10 years) that has 'maintained' their weight loss. Some have gained back a small bit but all have kept off the majority of the weight. It is inspiring to see...
And to go along with the article that Maile posted there is pictures of most of the Biggest Losers that are mentioned in the article plus a few more...
Hope everyone is having a Happy Maintenance Day!

Last edited by capricious; 01-06-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #221  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:

What have you been doing in maint. to lose? Phase 3 I did good with eating and even worked out almost everyday and I still gained 4.4 in those 2 weeks. Then when Christmas came and vacation, I just watched the scale keep goin up with the intentions of restarting in Jan anyway and it totally got out of hand. I need help so I can be like you when I phase off this time. I can't go 10 pounds under goal just so I'm happy if I gain again!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #222  

S/C/G: 182.6/142.8/135

Height: 5.3

Hiiiiiiiiiiii everyone!! I have been out for soo long and like many others am back with a minor reboot!! I can't believe how busy life gets this time of year for me. I'm far from caught up on all the forums but this is where I thought I'd come check in at. Sort of surprised how far bumped down the Maintainers thread is, not sure I've ever had to look that hard for it haha! Certainly have missed it here! So please forgive me if I mention something ya'll have already been chatting about!

Maintenance:
Loooooving it!! Success week after week. Typically free day is Saturday and I am back down to under goal each week by the time the next free day rolls around. So as long as I follow the protocol correctly it WORKS! So thrilled.

The Holidays:
Stayed on Track all the way until Dec 27-Dec 31st. Basically did a 5 day cheat and wow I can't believe how quickly the weight comes on!! I was so freaking out at my parent's house with no scale so I went into town and bought one for their house LOL. So get on it from a weight of (130) and I weighed 148 by new years day. (Got back on Phase one Jan 1) WHOA BABY?! 18lbs in 5 days WHAT?!! By the next day Jan 2nd on my scale I was 142 Phew. So, I'm on day 6 (137lbs) of reboot and inching closer to goal each day but soooo miss my free day and just plain Maintenance eating. I guess I'm probably doing modified Ph1 as I am working out and adding extra eggs and protein powder (got Designer Whey but really want to get Jay Robb = $$$) here and there. I'm doing IP stuff and all kinds of alternatives but trying to learn more about the different kinds of protein and how they work esp. since I'm working out so I can time when to use the different types bla bla bla

Other Notes:
24 days till Cancun. Swimsuit shopping is certainly less intimidating this time around but going nowhere near a bikini nonetheless!
Possibly ~9 days till TTC #2 Sort of worried about how to handle weight gain after this since Phase 1 will not really be acceptable or safe. Still want a free day though? Any suggestions?
I see you all talking about wrinkles …I can relate I have the most ridiculous things going on and at age 27 ?? So I guess I started using the bio oil on my tummy (pregnancy stretch marks) and shea butter body cream when I have time. Then my smile lines appeared immediately after the weight loss which make me look soooo old….
Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #223  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

Quote:

Love to hear that you have still been losing!! Did you see Danita?? I think she is soo awesome.... Anyways. Very motivating to hear that you've still lost some!!
Old 01-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #224  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Do any of you remember I'mSvelting. She just shared a website that's made my life infinitely simpler. I've written up the information in the Hard to tread if anyone else might be interested. Cheers. (N.b. She has svelted.)
Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #225  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

2ride: You look beautiful in your new picture! I love it.

Cap..You have me laughing about your jail metaphor. Yes, I definitely feel like I am on probation. It is so true that if we do not follow the rules of maintenance, we will be back in jail. I still to this day have moments of panic where I look at myself and fear I will wake up gaining all of this weight back and not fit my clothes.

Itsabouttime: I lost on maintenance also. Try doing the low carb, low calorie end of Phase 3 when you reach it.

Ok everyone..I am going to buy the oils recommended and maybe start taking coconut oil. I thought coconuts were high in cholesterol..which is why I have stayed away from the oil. Thanks to everyone for their information.

Bellamack: that is so nice you look younger than your age...may have to try those products.

Sunnymae: very interesting about coconut oil helping Alzheimer patients.

I have lots of new wrinkles on my stomach and arms. I am developing muscles. but there are definitely new wrinkles. However, this may be the price of being thin and healthy for me.

Paintlady: I wonder if the wrinkles are from losing too fast or from just losing the fat deposits. My last months I was only losing a pound or two a week. I have read on other sites that wrinkling skin is common with weight loss.

Stolaf..It is hard to find alternatives you like as much as Ip. I still use crispy cereal for Phase 1 breakfasts and travel. Hope today goes well.

Linden..thanks for the info.

Pauley: great on losing 10 pounds on maintenance. I am seeing my coach once a month also for accountability.

Wildflower: Wonderful to hear from you. Your trip to Cancun sounds warm and exciting. If Phase 1 works` and you feel Ok..then go with a free day.

Almost went off last night. I am stressing over the ridiculously high cost of private health insurance for my son, who can no longer be on my policy. I wish I was in Canada! Anyway, food seemed way too tempting after dinner, so I drank hot tea and went to bed early.

Last edited by Maile; 01-07-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Closed Thread