Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #556  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Height: 5'8"

PS refeeding is what is supposed to occur on the free day (vs. bingeing). Higher calorie/ carb/ fat intake. I am attaching a link to the maintain your weight forever site that explains it... http://www.maintainweightforever.com...-find-out-now/
Old 02-04-2012, 01:44 AM   #557  

S/C/G: 170/138/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolberger View Post
Hi all. I continue to lurk here everyday. I have been struggling to keep myself from going crazy with food. I have finally made it through 3 days of phase I successfully and am feeling better. I was beginning to think I should be over on the "Hard Time Restarting" (Second Time Around now)Thread. I am 3 pounds over my goal weight but that's better than 2 weeks ago. Hopefully I will be able to do the whole reboot now.

Thanks again to all of you who post often and share you experiences and ideas. I look forward to checking in every day.

Lynn
Hi Lynn! Starting the reboot IS hard, isn't it? But congrats on jumping in and doing it. Only 3 lbs over goal is a great accomplishment for maintenance.

Cap--Thanks for the post on refeeds and zigzagging. I googled quite a bit last night. There are so many theories on what foods to eat...Phase 4, low carb, paleo, etc. Then throw in theories on how much and when.. refeeding, cheat days vs. meals, zigzagging. I hope I can ultimately find one for me that is easy and realistic to maintain. And that includes cinnamon rolls (seriously, before IP I was all about chocolate desserts, but since phasing off last fall cinnamon rolls are my dream food).

I'm now 1 week into the reboot and have been 100% OP Phase 1...except exercise. I'm doing either a boot camp or circuit training class 3x/wk and walking 45 Min 2x/wk. other than that, I have been flawless with my packets, veggies and weighing my protein. Surprisingly (to me anyway), I haven't lost ANY weight. Not a single pound! I'm a little disheartened. Even though weight loss isn't my only goal for the reboot (I'd like to get my pancreas back in shape after the holidays so I can return to Phase 4), I thought I would drop a few lbs. My coach told me they are now doing body fat and lean muscle mass analysis, something they didn't have when I was doing IP. So we did mine today. I hope I'll see some downward movement in body fat even if I continue not to lose weight.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #558  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

woolberger- thank you for posting... good for you for doing the reboot when you are so close to your goal weight still... when is your one year anniversary of maintenance? Has it already passed?
Lee- Congrats to you on chewing through the reboot as well... though I can see why you'd be disheartened for not having the scale reward your efforts... can only think that it's the exercise. It will be interesting to see your body composition results... and if the second week has a greater effect... fingers crossed for you... keep fighting the scale is fickle and sometimes I find my 'good' behavior isn't rewarded for a couple weeks- I'm sure it will be the same for you...
I am attaching a link for carb cycling as I understood it... http://www.burnthefat.com/carb_cycli..._fat_loss.html
It is very true that there are so many different diets with so many different ideals and that picking one's way through them to what works best for yourself is very subjective. My only reason for mentioning the refeed & carb cycling was that they were what I found was connected with the 'free day' that is recommended in Phase 4. And while I love and adore my free day, sometimes I love & adore it with a bit too much vigor. What I have discovered is that having a free day where I indulge does have positive physiological & psychological effects but that the free day should have constraints to fully reap the benefits. Still trying to repair my relationship with food one small step at a time.
I am going to Maui in a week and we will be away for almost 3 weeks. Feeling a fair bit of trepidation in that change of routine is almost never good for the diet and my in laws will be staying in our condo with us and while I definitely get along with them it can still be stressful when you never get to fully 'relax'. On the flip side they are very health conscious there- the grocery stores have a lot of healthy offerings and there are always people exercising and I plan on being one of them! I am so looking forward to watching the ocean while I jog rather than a wall. *just wondering if anyone knows if I can bring my packets across the Canadian/ US border? I'm probably going to attempt it anyway but it would be great to know ahead of time... thanks...
Maile- just have to say again thank you for posting that quote. It plays in my head now, gently giving me props for making good decisions.

Last edited by capricious; 02-04-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #559  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

I am so glad that others liked his ideas. It gave me a positive way to look at my life..that I really am building faith in myself with the small steps of maintenance. It was very reassuring and I also keep reflecting on it. I also like the concept of replacing defeat!!! That resonates for me. The other thing that it made me realize, is that there is an element of healing in this maintenance process.

If anyone is interested..Dr. Oz's show yesterday introduced the concept of a cheat day. You can read about it online. He calls it Fat-urday. He defines a free day as being planned and binge free. He says you should eat on a plate and not standing, driving, or out of the frig. He believes you should have a fat for breakfast, salt for a snack, carb for lunch, sugar for a snack and protein and vegetables for dinner. It is kind of an odd cheat day..way too much sugar for me.

Also since I am posting, here are some stats from the National Weight Loss Registry.

"78% eat breakfast every day.
75% weigh themselves at least once a week.
62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week.
90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day." - www.nwcr.ws/Research/def
ault.htm

"Registry members exercise about an hour or more each day — the average weight-loser puts in the equivalent of a four-mile daily walk, seven days a week. They get on a scale every day in order to keep their weight within a narrow range. They eat breakfast regularly. Most watch less than half as much television as the overall population. They eat the same foods and in the same patterns consistently each day and don’t “cheat” on weekends or holidays. They also appear to eat less than most people, with estimates ranging from 50 to 300 fewer daily calories." - www.nytimes.com/2012/01/
01/magazine/tara-parker-po

An hour a day of exercise!!!!!!! Yikes.

Cap: I will post it when I find it. I made one awhile back. It is not as good as the Ruth Chris Crabcake recipe that we usually make..but I liked it. I am glad you liked the quote.

Woolberger: You are doing it and losing those added pounds. You are making good progress. You are getting closer to your goal.

Pauley: Each time you run and each time I work out..we can tell ourselves that we are replacing our defeat! Yesterday was a drag myself into the gym day..fighting the urge to not go.

Lee..Good for you doing well on the re-boot..despite it being so frustrating not to see that scale move. Interesting that IP is doing BMI measuring. I hope you see some movement soon.

Cajunlady..That is exactly the point I would like to reach..not doubting my abilities or confidence. By the way do you eat cajun food? I love cajun seasoning.

Last edited by Maile; 02-04-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #560  
Maintaining-March, 2011

S/C/G: 184/IP 175.6/133/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpassport View Post
Hi Lynn! Starting the reboot IS hard, isn't it? But congrats on jumping in and doing it. Only 3 lbs over goal is a great accomplishment for maintenance.
It is soooo hard. I find I'm actually doing more of a phase II. I am happy that I am only 3 pounds over my goal but I actually am most comfortable about 3 lbs under my goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricious View Post
woolberger- thank you for posting... good for you for doing the reboot when you are so close to your goal weight still... when is your one year anniversary of maintenance? Has it already passed?
I started maintenance the first week of March in 2011, so almost 1 year. I can't believe it. I keep looking back at my weigh-ins for last year to make sure I don't weigh more now than at this time last year. I think that is what spurred me to get the reboot done. Ah...the games we play with ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post

If anyone is interested..Dr. Oz's show yesterday introduced the concept of a cheat day. You can read about it online. He calls it Fat-urday. He defines a free day as being planned and binge free. He says you should eat on a plate and not standing, driving, or out of the frig. He believes you should have a fat for breakfast, salt for a snack, carb for lunch, sugar for a snack and protein and vegetables for dinner. It is kind of an odd cheat day..way too much sugar for me.
I was out shopping Thursday and passed a Weight Watcher Center. They had a big poster with Dr. Oz on it endorsing WW. I don't think WW recommends a Fat-urday.
Thanks for the registry info. I still plan on being one of the 5%!!

Lynn

Last edited by woolberger; 02-04-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #561  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Maile, thank you so much for posting that article. I think so much panic on the threads when people first start is because we have experienced so much failure we are programmed to fail. So if someone thinks they misinterpreted one tiny detail panic sets in. It takes quite a while to reset the mind. none of us had successful maintenance in the 100s of diets we have been one so this stage continues to be a real learning experience and the discussion on this thread is so helpful.

Desperate Girl, I am thinking about best goal weights too. My doctor wanted be to get to 130 because it is at the higher end of a healthy BMI for my height. He says research shows that people who are at the higher end of a healthy BMI live longest.

But I am rethinking that. I am a pound away from that weight now. I am 64 and have been losing slowly. But at that close to goal I am still losing a pound a week which has been my loss along.

I think of people who had been totally following the program and really struggled with the last bit, the scale seemed to refuse to stay at that level no matter what they did and coaches were always baffled. I am thinking if you get to a weight and your body fights against going any lower you are likely at goal weight no matter which number you had previously selected. But if you continue to lose at the same pace the body still has excess to shed. So I am going to keep on trucking for a bit especially since I discovered how much better I do if I make sure I get the oil in.

On another note, 2Ride, I hope you pop in here, I wondering where I can find the flavored coffee you mention for the Keurig?

Pat
Old 02-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #562  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Pat..That is so true about overcoming being programmed to fail. This time we are going to change that program to success. That is interesting about a higher BMI..I am at the lower end of the BMI..
You are doing so well to be a pound away. Wonderful. You are also right about the element of panic setting in due to past experiences.

I don't have a Keurig but they sell K coffee: Green Mt for Keurigs at Walmart..many wonderful flavors.

Cap:
Here are two recipes. The first is a good Ruth Chris..but has bread crumbs.

The second is the Low Carb Key West Crab Cakes with Mustard Sauce.
I did not use heavy mayo..used light. I also did not use 2 T oil..less.
I used Bay Seasoning.

Forgot to tell you that is exciting about you going to Hawaii soon. I would think they would let IP packets go over the border.

http://www.crabcakeguy.com/crab-cake...-chris-recipe/

Low Carb Key West Crab Cakes with Mustard Sauce Recipe : : Food ...
www.foodnetwork.com › Recipes › Baking › Cakes
56 reviews - 29 mins
Old 02-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #563  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricious View Post
PS refeeding is what is supposed to occur on the free day (vs. bingeing). Higher calorie/ carb/ fat intake. I am attaching a link to the maintain your weight forever site that explains it... http://www.maintainweightforever.com...-find-out-now/
Thanks for the link. I'm in phase 1 and mentally preparing myself for maintenance. The link you provided was very helpful. All along my husband thought the cheat day was odd, but now I can explain it to him and it will make sense...now that it makes more sense to me (Binge vs. Refeed). Thanks!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #564  

S/C/G: 175/127/125

Height: 5'5"

Hello everyone, I've been away from the boards for a little while trying to finish unpacking and setting up the apt. (We moved right before my vacation), plus dealing with family issues.
Anyway, I'm still doing phase 1. I'm having a hard time deciding when to stop. Initially my goal was 120 lbs. I didn't get there because I had to phase off for vacation. I stopped at 126 and actually felt pretty good at that weight. Now, during the time that I couldn't eat solids (just a few days) I went down to 125 and I was delighted, but after reintroducing them I'm now at 128 (what????).
This time around I'm mixing IP products and alternatives (mostly just power crunch bars at 10g carbs) and surprisingly I'm pretty comfortable doing phase 1. In that regard, I feel I should continue doing it until I reach at least 123, so that I can have a window of 123-126 as my comfort zone. The only thing that worries me is whether I will have the strength to deal with social situations.. but I think I should probably "put myself through it" to strengthen both my will and my ability to handle people in that regard. Does that make sense?
Ok, just writing this I think I've talked myself into continuing. Another concern is that I'm now exercising .. and I think that , like bigpassport , that might be slowing down my losses way too much. I guess I will stick to phase 1 for one more week and see what happens, if there's no loss, then I"ll probably move to phase 3, if there is a loss a will stick to it a little longer.

Woolberger- Almost one year in maintenance, wow that's great, congrats! I'm doing a reboot as well. The first few always a little hard, but for me coming to the boards always helps. I hope your day is going great!

Capricious- Alway so much good information! I will have to sit down this weekend and read more about refeeding and carb cycling.
About the products, I don't know from experience if bringing in the products would be a problem, but in the past I read on the boards that it is not a problem. I have brought food into the US from Mexico and I didn't have a problem. As far as I know, meats and fruits are the only things that you shouldn't bring into the US, everything else -especially packaged goods- is allowed.

Last edited by Gika; 02-04-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #565  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

Hey ladies.... I made a Vol. 4 just for you!! Then I will close this one!!
Closed Thread