Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #181  
Started IP August 1, 2011

S/C/G: 218/158/160

So, google research tells me that coconut oil is the best thing since sliced bread. True? Helps regulate blood sugar, stabilize the pancreas, improves hair, skin, nails, prevents bacterial infections, treats HIV and STDs, lower in fat than traditional cooking oils. What do you guys think? I might be buying some next shopping trip. Maybe I'll be able to eat carbs for dinner and my hair will stop falling out? Lol! One can always hope! If nothing else, I'll try it in my coffee. Thanks Linden!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #182  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint Lady View Post
So, google research tells me that coconut oil is the best thing since sliced bread. True? Helps regulate blood sugar, stabilize the pancreas, improves hair, skin, nails, prevents bacterial infections, treats HIV and STDs, lower in fat than traditional cooking oils. What do you guys think? I might be buying some next shopping trip. Maybe I'll be able to eat carbs for dinner and my hair will stop falling out? Lol! One can always hope! If nothing else, I'll try it in my coffee. Thanks Linden!
It's good for you because it's a medium chain fatty acid. It tastes good because, well because it tastes like rich coconut. Not a bit like olive oil plus coffee. Yech.

I have always had dryish skin, even in moist Hawai'i although I drink a lot of water. I use it after a shower sometimes and always to moisturize my hands. The downside, the puppy likes to lick it.

OK, I'm in this far I might as well go the whole way. I've used good olive oil to clean my face ever since I was 16 and did summer stock with a man who taught makeup at Carnegie Mellon (great theatre school). The reason he gave for using it to clean off make up? Commedia del arte clowns had been using it since the 15th century. Then Italian women realized that clowns' faces didn't wrinkle/age the way other's did. That's a VERY abbreviated version of the story.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #183  

S/C/G: 217/174/164

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymae View Post
day 4 on the re-boot...I forgot about cutting out restricteds like the protein bars. Got used to those and not having them is challenging for me. anyone out there on re-boot having those or other restricteds? there are so many conflicting points of view on sugar alcohols out there. some folks remain in ketosis and other fall right out. its a hard call to make. opinions anyone? anyway fellow re-booters...let's hang in there with each other. also using more alternative products from nashua this time around to save money. going to lurk on the recipe thread, so I can find something interesting for my veggies. i was never very creative on this diet. just kinda plowed thru it, but i think i might need some flavor,texture, aroma assistance this time around.
thanks everyone!
I've been enjoying bars on my phase1/2 reboot and they haven't adversely affected me yet. I don't really understand what sugar alcohols are or how they affect ketosis. I might or might not be in ketosis, but I do know I am losing weight. I have lost the holiday weight and reached an all time low of 159 after only 3 days of rebooting. This plan works!

I've been cooking my vegetables in this habanero oil my co-worker made and gave me for Christmas. It is the best! Definitely spices up any veggie you cook it in.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #184  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Day 3....100% perfect phase 1. Not loving it, but doing it.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #185  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Quote:
I've used it as a moisturizer and hair deep conditioner for years, just started a few months ago to use it in cooking.

Pretty easy to cook with actually, I buy the scented one for a moisturizer and such and get one without the coconut smell to cook with.

Just noticed your hair falling out...it didn't stop? Mine stopped, I have OMEGA III and an ANTIOXY it stopped a few months ago and is in fact growing back...??

Last edited by Ishbel; 01-04-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #186  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

PaintLady- I'm just starting to climb out of the boat you're in and I've been in maintenance for five months. My hair has finally stopped coming out in clumps and new growth has started... I can only have a very light carb in the evening and to be honest I only have it occasionally. It is much better scale wise to have a very light evening meal so it may be worth some consideration to have your carb at lunch and fat for supper. As the meal that includes the fat tends to be the lighter one in my experience.
Pauley & Darbs- I am so happy to read of your successes in the reboot! Congrats Pauley on the all time low and reaching a new 'decade' & Darbs I think you are wise in your planning of the mental reset for maintenance!
Maile- I'm with you on just regular maintenance right now. It was quite the discovery that after spending almost everyday last week exercising for almost an hour (to give credit where it's due it was the lady I went away with last week that provoked that much exercise ) it took a few more pounds off of me. Pretty happy with my current weight just want more tone- I will definitely be partaking in a strength class of some sort this month...
2ride- I hear you about the icy situation here! Have you tried any home exercise videos?
Sandy- I love my Jillian Michaels too but it has been nice to have something to change her up with . How was the water aerobics?
Pxlkitty- missing your breakfasts...??
Old 01-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #187  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post

OK, I'm in this far I might as well go the whole way. I've used good olive oil to clean my face ever since I was 16 and did summer stock with a man who taught makeup at Carnegie Mellon (great theatre school). The reason he gave for using it to clean off make up? Commedia del arte clowns had been using it since the 15th century. Then Italian women realized that clowns' faces didn't wrinkle/age the way other's did. That's a VERY abbreviated version of the story.
So I find this out 40+ years too late?

Last edited by patns; 01-05-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #188  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Default Valentine's Day Challenge

I have taken the liberty of starting a new maintenance challenge on fat secret for regular maintenance. It starts Monday January 9 runs for 4 weeks. Hopefully those of you who are currently in the reboot will be done in time for the next challenge (or for the start of this one )... Everyone is welcome of course!
Old 01-05-2012, 01:36 AM   #189  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

PaintLady.... I'm not sure if you've ever hear of the shampoo and conditioner called Nioxin. It's sold in salons or hairdressers around here. But it is designed for thinning hair. They have a whole line of products... Just a thought? Maybe? When I used to work in asalon. That's what we would recommend for a lot of ladies... Especially new moms.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #190  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricious View Post
I have taken the liberty of starting a new maintenance challenge on fat secret for regular maintenance. It starts Monday January 9 runs for 4 weeks. Hopefully those of you who are currently in the reboot will be done in time for the next challenge (or for the start of this one )... Everyone is welcome of course!
thanks... i've been terrible about the fatsecret challenge.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #191  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I have always had dryish skin, even in moist Hawai'i although I drink a lot of water. I use it after a shower sometimes and always to moisturize my hands. The downside, the puppy likes to lick it.
I've been using coconut oil as facial moisturizer for about 6 months... It's so cheap compared to other face creams, and really does seem to make a difference. Do you think the clown aging was from the olive oil or all the clown makeup? One of those I would do, the other "not so much"

CAPRICIOUS -- I've been having some "half phase 3 breakfasts" with one slice of protein toast (instead of two), and greek yogurt (without fruit). I'm having phase 3 breakfast today because I LOVE LOVE LOVE raspberries and I got a great deal on them.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #192  

Height: 5'4"

Good morning. I'm off to the restart thread I guess since I'm no longer maintaining. I had 2 straight weeks of "fun days" and now I'm paying for it. I have been feeling like crap and I'm pretty sure I know exactly why. Back to the grind to get to goal! Good luck to you still in maintenance and I will be back soon.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #193  

Good morning all! I was one pound over my "window" at weigh in yesterday. I started out with phase 1 breakfast and lunch, but after water aerobics I was starving. I ate my phase 1 supper (with 1/2 sweet potato) and then was still hungry. I ate my IP butterscotch zuchinni muffins, and before bed had a phase 3 breakfast of greek yogurt, blueberries, toast and peanut butter!!

It is so hard to go back to the packets. I really like the phase 3 breakfasts. I think I can do a Modified reboot and be happy!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #194  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
You know, my husband notices nothing and the other day he said " there is alot of hair in the shower (after I showered), I went in to clean it and was horrified at how much was there. I went and got a body perm after that, I have not had any kind of perm in over 20 years, but I am getting scared at how much hair is falling out. And although I use alternatives, I still buy IP's supplements. I have increased (supplemented) my B vitamins and fish oil, I sure hope it helps.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #195  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxlkitty4 View Post
I've been using coconut oil as facial moisturizer for about 6 months... It's so cheap compared to other face creams, and really does seem to make a difference. Do you think the clown aging was from the olive oil or all the clown makeup? One of those I would do, the other "not so much"
Most stage make up is pretty hard or your skin -- clogs pores, is greasy -- and clown white is particularly bad so an oil base, like olive or baby oil, works as a good lubricant to get it off. Of course you have to wash your face after that, I use Shisedo because I find it really mild, and then moisturize a bit and I use coconut oil, too. I've been able to get this really light, bio oil here and love it. But there really is a lot of research that shows that using olive oil (and I presume coconut oil) on your face prevents aging. Most of it's in Italian, though. I was just lucky to find out about it years ago.
Closed Thread