Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #301  
Started IP August 1, 2011

S/C/G: 218/158/160

The reboot is to reset the pancreas, to undo all of the off plan eating we do during the holidays. Also, it is to fight what our bodies naturally want to do, which is gain weight during the cold months. We need to all face the fact that we were doing well until the holidays hit and we all ate things when we weren't supposed to. I'm sure a lot of our problems are mental, but I feel like I am having carb cravings again. I'm sure my pancreas needs a reboot. I really wanted to do the reboot, but not until I have some good anti-hair loss supplements built up in my body. That said, I hope that's not just an excuse and that I can do it in a few weeks.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #302  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
Was it meant to be a January reboot or a once a year reboot?
I don't know the reasoning behind this either. But I'm wondering if it is supposed to be done so soon after you have lost the weight and have gone through the phases? If it is to reset the pancreas wouldn't it make sense to do it later as your pancreas should be chugging along pretty reasonably already?
Obviously I am not baseing this on any medical knowledge but just wondering.
I'm back in Phase 1 to continue to lose weight and I agree, the re-boot is a once a year thing. But I'm basing this totally on what Novak said her coach told her: That it was good to re-boot once a year to reset the pancreas and Dr Z, her coach, chose January because it was right after the eating extravaganzas of the year. I don't know whether or not one should or could lose weight at the same time. Maybe it just depends on the person. But if the main reason is to reset the pancreas then going through the phases is probably really important, no?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #303  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
I read also that the reboot was to reset the pancreas.

I am having a down day. My boss walks by and says. " You can stop losing now. You are thin enough." So what I really wanted to say was: You have overstepped your bounds. You have no right telling me what I should weigh."
I am ticked. I seriously am going to take a copy of my BMI healthy index in and show it to him tomorrow. I am going to tell him that I would like his support as I stay healthy.( and not his criticism)
Then to top it off my husband drops out that he is not sure that he likes me at this weight. He thinks I might be too thin as " I am big boned." It is those size 6 pants that actually fit me. So now I am not happy with my husband either. He has supported me all of these months, but is not sure about the current slender me. Plus I hate the big boned comment. Why can't you be thin and be big boned?
So action plan for my husband is to show him my healthy BMI index as well as remind him that my Dr., my family, my children, my friends, my gym coach, and my IP coach all think I look great.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Oh man! I would vent, too. Big time. Especially about the big-boned bit. Well, measure your wrist at it's most narrow point. If it's 6" or less, you're small boned. That's the one I remember accurately because that's what I am. (No big boned excuses for me, sigh.) Then it goes up by a 1/4 or 1/2 inch. Don't remember BUT you can look it up and use the data for evidence.

What a double whammy!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #304  

I hit the Day 3 NEED CARBS mode last night. Had popcorn, bagel, pure protein barSSS. Now I need a good day today. I did do my eighth day of water aerobics. Met a gal who was actually a water aerobics instructor at one time. She basically said we were doing all the right things (thank you YouTube!)

Have a great day. Oh, I like the discussion of whether the REBOOT was to lose weight or to reset the pancreas. I did read all of Dr. Tran's book and he said we need to do this once a year to reset the pancreas. I actually was using the term reboot to lose my vacation weight, which probably wasn't an accurate term to use.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #305  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyh50 View Post
I I actually was using the term reboot to lose my vacation weight, which probably wasn't an accurate term to use.
Me too, which like you said, is probably not the correct terminology. I just got into maintenance, which I would think, means I do NOT need a "reboot". I just need a couple of good weeks to lose the pounds I gained over the holidays and to mentally get back on track. I technically won't need a reboot until next January, because then I will have been on maintenance for 1 year.

I am actually back in my comfort window, but I am looking to get a little under so I have a small cushion and a little bit of breathing room in all of the new clothes I just got. I am a solid size 4, and took complete advantage of all the holiday sales to restock my closet. I now have a wardrobe that fits and one where everything looks good.

So, in an effort to have a 100% OP, phase 1 day, I am no longer in "reboot" mode, but "weight loss" mode. I am going to give P1 a couple of weeks and see what kind of cushion I can give myself. More than anything, I am struggling to regain the control I had before the holiday's. I have gotten very lax about bites and nibbles of food that I typically do not eat.

Today IS a good day and I will stick to P1. I am on day 4, but it hasn't been perfect, so I am not sure how much longer the cravings and headaches will last. But I do know that every time I eat something I shouldn't, I just prolong the process.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #306  

Height: 5'4"

Had my first round 2 weigh in this morning and am back to 157.5 so 6 pounds down. 7 more to go until I'm where I was before phase 3 started.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #307  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinedat47 View Post
This is addressed in Dr. Chan's book. The purpose is to lose the 6-8 pounds that a person will naturally gain over a year and to reset your pancreas.
Thanks a lot. That sounds pretty definitive. Instead of the yearly re-boot maybe I'm ready for the yearly re-read.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #308  

S/C/G: 212/196/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I'm back in Phase 1 to continue to lose weight and I agree, the re-boot is a once a year thing. But I'm basing this totally on what Novak said her coach told her: That it was good to re-boot once a year to reset the pancreas and Dr Z, her coach, chose January because it was right after the eating extravaganzas of the year. I don't know whether or not one should or could lose weight at the same time. Maybe it just depends on the person. But if the main reason is to reset the pancreas then going through the phases is probably really important, no?
This is addressed in Dr. Chan's book. The purpose is to lose the 6-8 pounds that a person will naturally gain over a year and to reset your pancreas.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #309  

S/C/G: 217/174/164

Height: 5'8"

Wow Maile, that is a bad day. That's weird that your husband has been so supportive and all of a sudden drops that bomb. The boss' comment is very unprofessional. My boss did ask how much I had lost and then proceeded to guess my goal weight to the exact number on the first try! Apparently his wife is my same (large boned) build!

Like so many others, I find myself unable to eat phase 1 food anymore for any length of time. I've given up on the "re-boot." I am steadily losing weight on phase 4 so I don't think I need it. I didn't gain over Christmas and have lost 2 lbs since then. I entered maintenance in October, so I shouldn't need to reset the pancreas quite yet. Those are my rationalizations for eating a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast today!
Old 01-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #310  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

I think one of the main reasons we are all struggling is because it is not DIRE STRAIGHTS anymore. When I started IP, I was at my wits end and was desperate to lose weight. It gave me the motivation to stick with P1 despite the strictness.

Now, we are all feeling comfortable with ourselves and loving our new look (at least I am ). I am not desperate. Would it be nice to lose 5 extra pounds? You bet! Do I NEED to lose 5 extra pounds? No way. It is a completely different mentality.

However, I do need to get back into the mental game of not eating as many sweets and treats, which is why I am going to stick it out for a little bit longer on P1. I have very much gotten into the habit of having bites and nibbles of any treat laying around or if my hubby is eating something. While it hasn't necessarily affected my weight (I am sitting at the low end of my window), I need to seriously cut back on the sugars. I try to not really eat candies, cookies, etc... except for special occasions, and it seems like I am popping something in my mouth almost daily.

So for me, I am trying to get back to a place where I am not craving the treats and get back to the place where I can see and smell goodies and not eat them.

I guess this means I am in "control mode" I am not rebooting, and not necessarily in weight loss mode. Although I think by purging my system of sugar by doing P1, some weight loss will be a nice bonus.

As a side note, so far today has been a perfect P1 day.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #311  

S/C/G: 212/196/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydoodle View Post
I think one of the main reasons we are all struggling is because it is not DIRE STRAIGHTS anymore. When I started IP, I was at my wits end and was desperate to lose weight. It gave me the motivation to stick with P1 despite the strictness.

Now, we are all feeling comfortable with ourselves and loving our new look (at least I am ). I am not desperate. Would it be nice to lose 5 extra pounds? You bet! Do I NEED to lose 5 extra pounds? No way. It is a completely different mentality.

However, I do need to get back into the mental game of not eating as many sweets and treats, which is why I am going to stick it out for a little bit longer on P1. I have very much gotten into the habit of having bites and nibbles of any treat laying around or if my hubby is eating something. While it hasn't necessarily affected my weight (I am sitting at the low end of my window), I need to seriously cut back on the sugars. I try to not really eat candies, cookies, etc... except for special occasions, and it seems like I am popping something in my mouth almost daily.

So for me, I am trying to get back to a place where I am not craving the treats and get back to the place where I can see and smell goodies and not eat them.

I guess this means I am in "control mode" I am not rebooting, and not necessarily in weight loss mode. Although I think by purging my system of sugar by doing P1, some weight loss will be a nice bonus.

As a side note, so far today has been a perfect P1 day.
Good Job! I too am struggling to not rationalize putting all kinds of crap in my mouth, but I do not just take bites or nibbles, once I start, it is crazy out of control carb gorging- simple sugars are addictive, plain and simple.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #312  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Linden..That is interesting information. I will measure my wrist!!!
Pauley..thanks for the support.

I am proud of myself. I nicely confronted my boss and explained things to him. He apologised and said he thought I looked fine, but just did not want me to get any thinner. Anyway..I told him I needed his support and got it.
My husband has been very positive and boasts of my success. I think it is these last 10 pounds that make him nervous.

Better day today.

I find that if you do not eat carbs on Phase 3 you can still lose weight.
I am doing Phase 4 and keeping within my range.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #313  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

But how can you do phase 3 without doing carbs? I thought the purpose was to slowly reintroduce them to your body so you don't regain a ton of weight immediately once you go back to "regular" food.
I am asking this seriously because I will be very nervous about carbs when I get to phase 3 as I am super carb sensitive. "Regular" food for me will be no wheat because I haven't eaten wheat for years. That is how I lost my original chunk of weight going from 200 to 160.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #314  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
But how can you do phase 3 without doing carbs? I thought the purpose was to slowly reintroduce them to your body so you don't regain a ton of weight immediately once you go back to "regular" food.
I am asking this seriously because I will be very nervous about carbs when I get to phase 3 as I am super carb sensitive. "Regular" food for me will be no wheat because I haven't eaten wheat for years. That is how I lost my original chunk of weight going from 200 to 160.
I'm not answering for Maile; just myself. I gained 5 pounds very quickly on Phase 3. I know one is told to expect a maximum gain of 5 pounds but since many others were still losing, I had to reappraise equally quickly. I found that I simply could not eat 50 grams of carbohydrates for breakfast. I modified, still ate fruit, grains, protein, and dairy but I kept the carbs in fruit, dairy, and a tiny bit of grains, for the fiber, (9 grams) to about 30-35. In Phase 4 I only had a starch once. That's how I was able to lose the weight, slowly. When I start back through the last 3 phases again I'm going to be so extra careful re-introducing carbs -- although I WILL do that to reset the pancreas -- just be even more careful this time around. Calories about 1350 tops plus exercise, usually less. Hope this helps. And I'd sure be interested in hearing a lot of other experiences although some people have been very generous sharing on the Maintenance thread. And for some, lucky dogs, this hasn't been an issue it seems.

Really nice observation, Jenny.

Last edited by Linden; 01-13-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #315  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
I do eat carbs on Phase 3 for breakfast. Like Linden I cannot eat 50 gms so I usually eat around 30 or lower. I eat low carb pancakes, cereal or bread...plus fruit, plus dairy, plus PB or nuts.

By not eating carbs I really meant to say that in Phase 4..if you eat a Phase 3 breakfast with low carbs, and then don't eat the carbs every night, you can still lose.

I have been worried about carbs also, but find that if you eat the lower carb end, you can lose or maintain.
Sorry about the confusion.
Closed Thread