Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #346  
Started IP August 1, 2011

S/C/G: 218/158/160

Found a recipe for Portabello Parmesan that I'm going to try today.
4-6 portabellos
salt, pepper to taste
1 cup marinara sauce
1/2 cup mozzerella cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 T butter, will likely use less
Drizzle olive oil over bellas, season with salt & pepper, grill or pan sear.
In a 9x13, layer 1/2 marinara sauce, mushrooms, other 1/2 marinara, cheese and butter. Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees until golden brown on top.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #347  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinmygrooveback View Post
Interesting you should bring this up! In our part of the world (South US) winters are so strange. People are sick everywhere with upper respiratory infections, etc. I had one of my "premonition dreams" several months back that prompted me to have my first ever flu shot and at the same time, I increased my Vitamin D (I always take extra Vit. C). I had one little bout with my sinuses that lasted a few days (thank you Airborne) and have been fine ever since.

But think about this....we just put our bodies through some pretty radical transformations and it will take some time for our systems to catch up and be "normal" again. Add in the southern winters and sickness EVERYWHERE, its kinda hard NOT to contract something. Rest well and carry hand sanitiziers with you. But in the meantime....check out Airborne or Zicam.
Yes, plus the influx of northerners doesn't help either...

I have been taking Airborne since Saturday as well as taking some Day-Quil to help combat the symptoms.

Thanks for the re-inforcement of what I was thinking. I used to never get sick, and ever since I lost the weight, I have gotten sick 2x. But it completely makes sense that our bodies need to catch up and stablilize.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #348  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint Lady View Post
Good morning Maintainers. I had a really nice weekend. Saturday was my fun day and yesterday was phase 1 for me. So, today I get to return to breakfast, YAY!
I was reading through Dr. Tran's book again last night, trying to help someone in the experienced thread with a question. Dr. Tran never states that a cheat day is mandatory once a week. His book gives directions on how to deal with diet slip ups once in maintenance. I think the mandatory cheat day comes from IP, not Dr. Tran. Anyway, he states not to worry if you don't have packets for the phase 1 day, instead to have some coffee or tea with non-fat yogurt for breakfast and phase 2 type meals for lunch and dinner. For those of us that really miss breakfast on the phase 1 day, this might be easier.
If you haven't read Dr. Tran's book, I highly recommend it. It's strange to read his book and see how IP has adapted from it. And yes, IP had to adapt for dieters that needed to stay on this plan for longer than 6 weeks. I'm really glad I read through it again last night.
Thanks for the info! And yes, I could probably use a re-fresher read through myself.

I am one of those that do not do the "mandatory" cheat day. I save my cheat days for special occasions. I typically follow strict P3 or occasionally P4 during the week and am a little more liberal on the weekend. In general, I try to watch my carbs and not over do it on any one day.

My PERSONAL opinion on cheat days (for myself) is they are not for me. I don't want to get caught up in eating junk food once a week. I like to eat healthy and I feel better when I eat healthy, so I try to not eat junk. It doesn't mean that I won't indulge when I want to, but when I do, it is usually just that one item that I want, not an entire day of indulgence. I feel so much better (physically) when I do that instead of trying to cram everything into one day, and then feel like garbage the next day.

Don't get me wrong, I know that for some of us, it is a mental SAVIOUR! But I know for me, this is what works. Isn't that what maintenance is really all about? Finding what works for you?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #349  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Height: 5'8"

Pauley- I have no Internet at home either! Much harder to type with the phone. Friday is the day I'll have it back- can't wait.
Jolo- I loved your comment about how obviously you didn't love yourself before or you would have taken better care of yourself. So very, very true.
Maile- I agree very much with the comment you posted about out of control eating dimming the spirit. I'm still working on my free days not getting out of hand. I thought I had it down but my birthday free day which was also moving day was almost constant carbs. Really dislike the feeling of carb loading at this point and once it begins it's hard to stop. I am setting some new rules for myself on free day. 1. I have to eat a healthy phase 3 type breakfast. 2. I have to have 45minutes at least of intense exercise and 3. I still have to eat my 4 cups of veggies. I find when I do these 3 things on my free day it stops it from getting out of hand. The breakfast starts the day off on the 'right' note. The exercise keeps me mindful and the veggies satiate. All vital to not getting carried away on the carb train.
Linden- haha haha hahaaaaaa- panniers!!! Love it. The things we have to endure seeing when we're naked- not fair but so much better than it used to be???
Old 01-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #350  

S/C/G: 163/151/139

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST View Post
so am sitting on the couch watching OWN. watching this show, I saw it before but it hits home more this time. It is about a lady who is 5.10 and between 160and 140 lbs... she wants to be at the low end of the scale 125s... does this sound familor? so the host asks her to put herself in a lineup of 10 women whos waists are between 39" and 45" (they all look beautiful and healthy) and she puts herself in the middle of the pack, and the host then tells her she should be at the lowest end. She is learning that her body image isn't what other see, and that she is beautiful as she is. This just hit home for me this time around because I want to be in the 140s and am stuck in the 150-160 range, the weight on the scale isn't the whole story but it is only a small part. This just continues to remind me this is a journey and I am not there yet. We have to start loving ourselves no matter what is on the scale.

Winter has hit here and will be -17 and -29 for the next couple of days... oh joy how do you walk dogs this way.... Have a great sunday all.
Your post resonated with me - I got back from a 2.5 week holiday where I ate whatever I wanted and found that my weight was only up 2 pounds and I'm back to my goal weight. The curious thing is that I'm not sure that 132 at almost 5'7" is the right weight for me - it was what I weighed until my babies (who are now 12 and 14) but it is actually a little thinner than is probably best for me in my mid 40s. I am at the gym now so I'm adding muscle and have decided that there is no magic to 132 - I'm going to gradually go to 138ish and see if I look healthier.

After 3 months on maintenance I'm continuing with calorie counting and have moved off stage 4. I am focusing on healthy eating but not following the protocol any longer and am finding that it is working for me and I don't feel like I'm on a "diet" since I can eat what I like as long as I'm tracking/within my calorie range. With working out I don't feel like I'm having to deny myself, although I do eat less carbs than I used to.

Is anyone else moving more toward calorie tracking as they move through maintenance?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #351  

BC- I am still fairly new to maintenance and still trying to find my way. I am finding that I tend to carb count vs. calorie count. I workout 5-6x per week and I find that if I can eat well during the week, I can ease up on the weekends and enjoy some indulgences without it affecting my weight or the way my clothes fit. This is probably what I will adapt to be my lifestyle, low to moderate carbs (under 100 grams) most days and then have some flexibility on other days.

I have also become "wheat-free" which definitely helps keep control over carbs because wheat is in EVERYTHING and I do not like the way I feel when I eat wheat.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #352  

S/C/G: 217/174/164

Height: 5'8"

Has anyone heard of a body contouring wrap called "it works?"

They are raving about it here at the office and telling me it could be the solution to my wrinkly belly and turkey neck. Sounds too good to be true, but I still want to know more!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #353  

S/C/G: 252.8/165.2/170

Height: 5'10"

I am new to the maintenance thread. This weekend was my chance to read all 24 pages. I weighed in today at my clinic and I am officially under my goal so they started be on Phase 3. I am sure that I will be asking all of you some questions. It will be a change because with Phase 1 and 2 you really don't have many choices. Congratulations to all of you that are at goal and successfully maintaining it.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #354  

S/C/G: 212/196/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydoodle View Post
BC- I am still fairly new to maintenance and still trying to find my way. I am finding that I tend to carb count vs. calorie count. I workout 5-6x per week and I find that if I can eat well during the week, I can ease up on the weekends and enjoy some indulgences without it affecting my weight or the way my clothes fit. This is probably what I will adapt to be my lifestyle, low to moderate carbs (under 100 grams) most days and then have some flexibility on other days.

I have also become "wheat-free" which definitely helps keep control over carbs because wheat is in EVERYTHING and I do not like the way I feel when I eat wheat.
Hey Jenny-glad you are doing so great. I still keep ideal protein packets around for occasional use and phase 1/2 days. Tonight am having a pudding cake so thought of you
Old 01-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #355  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011weightbegone View Post
2011weightbegone: I like those low carb cereals and pancake mixes also. Currently making pumpkin pancakes

Maile, way to go standing up to your boss. Enjoy your visit with your son and safe travels.

Thanks for the idea about the pumpkin pancakes they sound delicious, maybe they taste like pumpkin pie,(which I love), minus the whipped topping of course!! I will try these when I get back to being able to have them.
1/2 cup of pumpkin can be traded for a fruit. Try putting some in the batter and then mixing some with WF maple syrup and putting it on top. Yummy.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #356  
Maile

Jennymae: Wow that was not the normal "puddle city", it was " snow and ice. We hit a storm and got stuck in the pass, then had icy streets .Seattle is filled with steep hills. The road towards are hotel was closed due to ice.
Hope you are enjoying your visit with your family. I take the cereal packets on trips also and often use them for breakfast to balance out any effects from eating out. have a great day.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #357  
Maile

Welcome Louisiana chick! Congratulations on reaching your goal. You will get lots of support here.

Painted Lady: I make Portabellos like that..but spray them with olive oil, put 1/4 c pasta sauce on them, bake then add mozarella 5 mins at the end for my family. They are great.

Pauley: Ruth Chris was wonderful. I took bites of other's steak and ate scallops..Although 4 scallops for 35 dollars was a bit expensive. You are better off getting steak,
Did you get hit with the storm? Body wraps sound great!

Cap and Jenny..I am glad to read that others are tracking on their free day. cap I eat 4 c of vege and a Phase 3 breakfast and exercise also. Sometimes I add something extra to a meal. As you can imagine I do not like to get out of control on carbs..so mainly stay away from them.

2ride..I think the hardest thing is to love yourself no matter what the scale says. I still worry when the scale goes up.

I also have issues on body image. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think I look thin. Then if I start feeling too full, I feel fat..Crazy.
The good news is that we met some old college friends, who had also lost weight. They thought I looked great..nice for my husband to hear. My son also thinks I look good.

BC girl: I tend to track carbs, but also stay low calorie low fat.

Got some bright bright Nike pink shoes to work out in! Fun.

Off to more snow..but school is on time!

Last edited by Maile; 01-17-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #358  
Maile

5 Reasons to Get Rid of Your Skinny Jeans
Your Old Clothes Could Prevent You from Losing Weight
-- By Nancy Howard, Staff Writer

Peek into a woman's closet, and tucked amid all the clothes is something that almost every woman keeps. She strives to wear it again someday, no matter how unrealistic or out of style it may be. What is it? Her "skinny" jeans. Whether yours take the form of pants, swimwear or even an old suit or dress, women and men alike keep these too-small clothes for years. Some are even brand new, tags attached, bought as inspiration to lose weight so that garment would fit.

Recently, I started to wonder: Is it detrimental to hold on to your skinny jeans? I must confess that up until three years ago, I, too, had my own little cache of one-day-I-will-fit-into-these-again outfits. As with many trends in fashion, if you hang on to something long enough, it will eventually come back in style. I am not sure whether fashion itself or the desire to be a smaller size again was my motive. Not only did I still own the little black sundress I wore the night my husband and I met 27 years ago, but I also had my very first pair of Levi's 501 button-fly jeans tucked away in a drawer. But I’m not alone.

In 2006, a Talbots National Fit Study poll asked 2,200 women ranging in age from 35 to 65 about their clothes-buying habits. Here's what they found:
More than 33 percent admitted to having clothes in their closet that were too small for them to wear.
Surprisingly, 85 percent “determined if something fit them by looking at the size tag,” not by how the clothing actually fit.
Forty percent purchased clothes that were too small in hopes that they would one day be able to wear them after losing weight.
Shockingly, 25 percent of the clothes women buy never leave their closets!
Does holding on to clothes that don't fit really motivate people lose weight, or could it be holding them back? Here's a list of honest reasons why keeping too-tight clothes might actually hurt your self-esteem, weight loss efforts and more.
They become a constant reminder that you are not at your "ideal" size. While it may seem motivating, this thinking can lead you down a destructive path to lower self-esteem and self-worth. And not only for people who are losing weight, but also for those who have experienced a change in body shape due to childbearing and/or age. When you are constantly measuring your self-worth based on the body of your youth, you'll never learn to embrace the person that you are today.

Keeping clothes from yesterday is a symptom of living in the past. Only after you let go of the past can you learn to accept yourself in the present with self-confidence and a sense of empowerment. You are no longer mourning what was and can live with what is. When I finally let go of my skinny jeans and sundress, I stopped trying to be the innocent 20-year-old from years past and gave myself permission to start a new chapter of my life, as the older, wiser and more mature woman that I am.

When your skinny jeans don't fit, you can feel like a failure, even when you're making real progress. Simply living a healthy lifestyle does a body good, regardless of your size or weight. But just as many people rely too heavily on the scale to measure their success, trying on clothes that don't fit can set you up for failure, too. Remember that the scale—or the size of your jeans—doesn't always determine your progress accurately.

Striving to fit into your skinny jeans may lead you to unsafe dieting practices. It isn’t uncommon for some women to strive for a weight that's too low and then resort to extremes in order to reach it. While you may admire your youthful looks, returning to them now might be unrealistic for you.

Longing for your former figure can prevent you from finding true happiness today. According to a February 2003 study in the American Journal of Psychiatry, a fear of failure drives many women to squeeze back into their skinny jeans. Instead of embracing who they are today, they won't accept, love or reward themselves until they reach "perfection." Many women believe that fitting into their skinny jeans can bring joy and happiness back into their lives, but simply holding on to those skinny jeans may be feeding their inadequacies.
With the media and Hollywood constantly inundating us with suggestive images about the perfect body, it isn’t surprising for countless studies to reveal that more women suffer from poor body image than men do. So how do we reverse this trend of negative body image?

Every February for the past 21 years, the National Eating Disorder Association has held a National Eating Disorders Awareness Week. NEDA works tirelessly helping women to develop a more positive body image. In 2008, the theme for the week was “Be comfortable in your genes. Wear jeans that fit the TRUE you.” Women were encouraged to donate their skinny jeans to release themselves from the constraints of longing to be the size they once were, therefore creating a sense of self-acceptance.

No one should allow the size of his or her clothes to determine their self-worth. Much like your weight, a clothing size is just a number, and sizing varies wildly from brand to brand. It's much more important to wear clothes that flatter and fit you, regardless of what the tag reads. Sometimes, simply wearing a well-fit pair of jeans can boost your confidence. Refusing to buy a larger size, even though it's more comfortable and flattering, or squeezing into a smaller size, even though it's too tight, can make you feel worse about yourself.

Today, I encourage you to open your closets and drawers. Gather everything that doesn’t fit you TODAY, especially clothes that are too small. Free yourself from the past and the silent criticism of your skinny jeans once and for all! Here are some ways you can get rid of your old clothes instead of sending them to a landfill:
Donate your clothes. Local shelters, Goodwill organizations and other nonprofits usually accept gently worn clothing. Giving back to the community allows us to help those who need our assistance, so this is a win-win.

Resell your old clothes at a consignment shop or online (eBay and craigslist are good ideas). You could make a few extra dollars, and you might find a deal on some "new" things in the size you currently wear. While many women don't want to buy new clothes until they've reached their goal weight, feeling pretty and attractive is important for everyone, here and now. You deserve to feel good about yourself and your wardrobe every day.
When I finally let go of my old clothes, I realized that I was not the clothes and the clothes were not me. These days, when I open the closet, I don't see all the clothes I can't wear and think, "What if?" Now I open the closet and think, "What will I wear today?"

Letting go of your skinny jeans can release you from the past—and the unrealistic expectations that you may have put on yourself. By living in the present, you can accept yourself and your life at this moment. It allows you to move ahead in your life with dignity and self-respect. By focusing the positive and looking forward, you build greater confidence, which can increase your chances of success.

What do you guys think? I thought the stats were interesting and amusing?
I thought it has good points but also feel those skinny jeans can be motivators.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #359  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
5 Reasons to Get Rid of Your Skinny Jeans
Your Old Clothes Could Prevent You from Losing Weight
-- By Nancy Howard, Staff Writer
Nice article and some interesting backup. Thanks. As to your weather. Yarg!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #360  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Height: 5'5"

Good morning all, another real cold day, can't walk outside am spending the day indoors hopefully... maybe I should move back to the experienced/daily threads as I am no longer in maintenance as I am back on phase 1. The good news is I have lost about 2 lbs continuing with my journey.

Have a great day all.
Closed Thread