General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #226  

S/C/G: 164/163/130

Height: 5' 5"

Here is the Post for the pecan bars ... I plan to try quite a few recipes from the old boards. I'll post them if they turn out well.

Posted by Debelli on 12-30-2000 04:16 AM:

PECAN BARS

I've made these twice and can't wait to make them again - I think they are yummy! They sure are easy!

1 egg
1/3 cup honey (I use agave nectar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 c WW pastry flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325F. Spray a 8x8 inch pan with spray.

In a medium size bowl beat together egg and honey (or agave). Stir in vanilla.

In a small bowl, blend flour and baking powder (it says to sift together, but this book is old and I don't think it's necessary). Stir into egg mixture and spread in prepared pan. Sprinkle with pecans and press into batter lightly. Bake in middle shelf of oven for 18-20 minutes.

Cut into 12 bars and cool in pan.

*Please note, using honey in this recipe will give you 16 tsp worth of honey,and the servings amount to 12, meaning this would give you over a tsp of honey in each bar. It's best to use agave nectar if you have it.

PLEASE SEE THE INFORMATION ABOUT HONEY & GRAMS OF SUGAR ON THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD!
maables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #227  

Good morning! The grandson is watching some TV with his breakfast. He told me last night he wants to live here. haha! Its a wonderful life for a kid....

The weather has turned cool, but its very pleasant. I would go walk but will have to wait until my daughter gets the boy. They left him here after our Easter get together. I may tell her I need to take a week off. I will miss him, but I feel like I don't get anything done when he is here for two days.

I am considering going on an extended fast. I have done it before, and it was not all that hard. In fact, I was sorry when I broke it after a week. I may go two or three if I do it. Or extend it with juices.

Off to see what the boy is up to. He is begging me to let him go outside and climb trees. UG!

Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #228  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Hi lades. Even running errands and packing. Having a mani & pedi tomorrow. Have to finish packing,cleanings & laundry. Don't know why I other bitit makes me feel enter. Today I cleaned my car. We leave Thursday morning.

Ellen, you're sprightly, you get nothing done with the grand kids around. I had mine Monday & didn't get anything accomplished.

Toni, eating has not been good. Will start over when we get back. Hope hour week is gong better.

Maables,those pecan bars sound so good. Think will make them soon.

Talk to you when we get back.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #229  

Good morning! I have a Zaycon chicken order to pick up this morning. They sell large boxes of meats you order online, then pick up at a certain location at a certain time. Their chicken is usually cheap...like large boneless skinless breasts for $1.50 a pound. You just have to buy a 40 pound box. I have friends I split it with. Thinking of how I want to cook chicken for dinner tonight!

Had a meeting after potluck last night and did not get home until 10. ug. I want to chill out in the studio today, until my student comes at 4. I think I will leave my phone off and not even answer texts.

I hope everyone is doing well. I am still not having great success with my blood sugar levels, and the weight is still stuck.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #230  

S/C/G: 226/197/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi everyone!
I have been cooking up a storm. Tried my hand at spring rolls tonight.
I am managing to keep sugar low, but I really want it out. Just not there yet. I appreciate all your encouragement.
Hope you're doing well!
llladynasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #231  

I need to join the party and get back into cooking.
FattyFatFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #232  

Hello! Been busy and off the computer lately. Unloaded a glaze kiln late last night. Got a really nice teapot out of it. There was some of a set of dishes in it, LOVE the glaze, but had some minor problems I need to work on and two pieces I need to do replacements for. Oh well.

Eating has been fairly good, but not good enough to keep the blood sugar levels low and lose any weight. I am ready to kick start my diet...trying to clear my calendar so I can focus. Not an easy feat.

We have to replace the pool liner...ordered it Saturday. Its gone up over $1000 since we had the liner put in 12 or so years ago. Ug. There is a leak in liner and the water level is three feet below where it should be. We opted not to put the tarp cover back on, so I get to look at the green water (can't filter it...too low) for a month until they can come install the new liner. Can't wait tho...it ought to be great swimming weather by then.

Off to get stuff done before my daughter and a friend show up to do some pottery. She may bring my grandson with her...so I need to get chores out of the way!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #233  

LADY: What kind of spring rolls did you make? I love Asian food! We used to make a Vietnamese spring roll that was really good with the fish sauce they use as a condiment, nuac cham. Too bad they are so high carb!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #234  

Hi everyone,
Ellen - the spring rolls i made were from a recipe for kids' lunch boxes. I made some slight adjustments... healthy oils, went to chinatown and got the least processed rice wrappers, baked them. They aren't crispy, but they taste good and my daughter likes them! Since cooking is a real challenge for me, it was quite a feat.
On another note: my day was sugar-free.. out of pure fear though. I was told by my ophthamologist that I have pseudotumor cerebri - which means too much pressure in my head and i spent half the night researching it only to get really scared. It seems like the least invasive medical treatment, if it progresses, is countless spinal taps and pills! Those who recovered were overweight and lost the weight. I need to be one of those ones!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #235  

LADY: Nothing like a medical scare to inspire us to stick to the plan! My inspiration is usually bolstered reading about what high blood sugar levels can do to you. Sigh....unfortunately, mine does not seem to respond well to diet. Another wrapper to try on your spring rolls is bean curd sheets. If you brushed them with oil, and baked them I think they might be slightly crispy at least. They are made from tofu, so they are high protein and have no high glycemic starches in them. A Chinese grocery store might have the frozen ones that are vastly superior to the dry. They are very good as a roll that is steamed in some sauce, or fried. I make a fish roll that is simply a white fish, some soy sauce, a sprinkle of green onion rolled in the bean curd sheet and fried in hot oil. They are really good! But I admit I am not afraid of fats.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #236  

Sorry I've been missing. But have been reading the boards. Having a weird week where I don't want to do anything. Hopefully next week will be more productive. My sugar eating is in full bloom. Can't seem to get a handle on it. Sure know what I have to do, heaven knows I'm been eating right for ever.

lady- I'm sorry you have had a bad report. Hope everything goes okay. The spring rolls sound wonderful.

Ellen- Yum your spring rolls with fish sound so good too.

Trying to get lots of water in today. Flush me out.... LOL....
Toni48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #237  

Morning! I got my walk in yesterday morning using my new Merrell shoes. They are called Road Gloves and are minimalist shoes with very thin flexible soles, no heel drop, and a wide toe box with just a hint of cushion and arch support. I really enjoyed walking in them. Will probably lace up and head out soon before my daughter shows up with my grandson. He is going to stay with us until tomorrow while they have a garage sale.

We have TONS of lettuce in our garden. Yesterday I picked a bunch and washed it and put it in the fridge. We also have parsley...way more than I could ever use. I cleaned it and dried it and put it in the food dehydrator. I did one batch yesterday and another last night that I had to turn off when I went to bed. Turned it back on this morning and once its done, I will do another. It only takes about four hours to dry parsley and its far superior to the dried parsley you can buy at the store. I found a recipe for parsley pesto, which I will try as well. I feel so domestic when I get to work on saving garden produce!

Off to find some breakfast! Have a great day and weekend, everyone!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #238  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Hi ladies, back from vacation. We had a great time. Has 2 days of rain but it was still fun.

Needless to say I need to get back to eating right. By back is killing me. I did my floors yesterday so guess I am paying for it today. No plans. A friend had a cervical fusion, so I may take her a milkshake later but that is it.

Toni, hope you are having a better week.

Ellen, I love fresh lettuce. Wish I lived closer.

Lladynasti, sounds like you are a cooking fool. Wish I could come up with things to try.

Fatty fat fat,welcome to our group. Hope you will join us.

Off to pay bills, fun, fun. Have a great day
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #239  

Went to Lowe's today and did a little shopping. I've got some flowers and herbs to plant tomorrow. Got parsley, rosemary, and thyme. Missed a couple weeks on my treadmill, hope to start back Monday. Hope everyone is alright and having a good week end....
Toni48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #240  

Ellen, your fish wraps sound like a great idea... as does the gardening I hear a few of youspeak of. I am running out of some essentials and I have just 5 dollars in my pocket to last until Friday. This is when it is very tempting to throw in the towel and take the free sugar offered. My calorie count is going down, not on purpose.
But I can't really complain... my freezer is full of good organic beef and that's why I had to scrimp on the other groceries this month so things will work out soon.
I wanted sugar so badly this evening. My daughter was mouthing off to me on the way home from the park. We had dinner a couple hours earlier but I felt hungry. I gave her her usual snack of gf pretzels for the movie and stood staring at the candy cupboard. You may ask why we have a candy cupboard. it is because, although I don't keep my daughter from sugar, I rarely say yes to her having some 'at this moment'and make lots of yummy food which I think (and often she does too) doesn't leave want for desserts or candy. There is the Halloween stuff, the Easter stuff, the birthdays etc. , and even with all our food allergies it manages to pile up. I opened the cupboard and shut it a few times, finally took a sugar-free candy. Now, I apologize to those of you who are off all sweeteners ... that is ultimately my intention as well (I go without but bought stevia for my daughter in case she wants it etc.. But I had bought a few sugar-free hard fruit candies at Easter time so I took one of those. I was still sucking on it long after she finished her pretzels and I realized a few things:
If there had been sugar in that thing, I would have chewed it up long ago.
I would have gone looking for more.
I would have been on my third or fourth saying 'this is so much better than choosing cake etc because it's lasting longer'.
I would have done all this even though my tongue and the insides of my cheeks would be burnt or cut up or whatever it is I do to them with sugar candies that I did not experience tonight.
And when I was done, I would have been. ... hmmm. .. you guessed it. .. hungry.
So for today I am aware that any and all protests I may have ever made about sugar not really being an issue for me - that was denial. I am so grateful for this (yet another) reminder. And this time - not because I'm oblivious to the pain in my mouth but because I'm comfortable and peacefully going to bed!