General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #151  

Morning! I am off to the big farmer's market this morning. Going to meet a young mom I am friends with and have not seen in an age. I really don't need much, but I guess I will pick up a few items while I am there.

Ate one of those almond flour muffins this morning with my espresso. They are really yummy! I put a few fresh blueberries in it. If any of you want to try it, and have a trader joes near you, they carry almond meal and its a great price!

I am hoping to get home early this afternoon and spend some time using some of my 250 pounds of clay! I am thinking about entering a local show in June. I will need a lot of stock to sell if I do.

MICHELLE: My sister in law lives in Columbia. I have always wanted to visit Charleston. When I do make it, you will have to meet me for lunch. K? I have a shop on etsy.com Search for ellenmccorkle - and please look at the sold items. They are the best work!

Ok, must get dressed and head on out! Have a great weekend everyone!

Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 150/144/125

Height: 5.3

@Ellen, yes! You must visit our lovely "holy city". We can meet up for a meal downtown if you like. Keep up the good work and have a nice weekend
Michelle Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #153  

Had a busy day again! We went to a place called Floor and Decor and took a tile laying class. The teacher recommended slate for my studio space...or porcelain which is what I was thinking of. Porcelain tile is much cheaper than slate, but the slate sure is pretty. Will have to make a decision soon.

After the class we went over to the walking trails along the Chattahoochee river and walked. It was cool, but sunny and nice for walking. Came home, made chicken curry patties for dinner, then went down and trimmed plates, and finished two teapots.

I am avoiding facebook for lent..and I can't believe how productive I have been since Wednesday!

Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 02-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #154  

Walking trail along the river sounds beautiful. I recently found a trail off the beaten path to walk. It surrounds a large pond that, 200yrs. ago, used to be a rice field ( Charleston's #1 export at that time). So much wildlife I see every day makes the walk especially serene. I deliberately choose not to carry my iPod now lest I miss anything.

How did your chicken curry patties turn out? I made venison burgers with lots of veggies mixed in. That is the only way I can get my step-son to eat
healthy veggies "...French fries are vegetables! Potatoes, hello?". Teenagers
I got on my WiiFit scales this morning. It read that I have gained 2 pounds since my last weigh in a week ago. I am eating around 80% plus pure
Paleo/Primal going on 20 days now. Have got to review my Fitday journal to
see what's up. I am still struggling with the idea that all this fat I am
*adding* to my diet of zero carbs and grains, is going to promote ( other than
well-being) weight loss. So used to my SB quick weight loss... Patience
grasshopper

Last edited by Michelle Grey; 02-26-2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: insert weight tracker
Old 02-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #155  

Taking a break from working. Just threw nine salad/soup bowls to put on the shelf. I want to have about 50 each of plates, bowls and mugs so if someone wants a set of dishes, I can get it done very quickly. I finished two teapots last night and trimmed all my plates. I am thinking of going down and throwing a few more teapots. I really love making teapots...

We went for a walk this afternoon. It was perfect weather for it. This morning they announced our new senior pastor at church. I am excited about it...it will be a month or more before he starts, but its just nice to know they have decided on someone and we voted him in this morning.

Eating is ok. I don't feel like eating tonight. I will take my meds and snack a bit then go back down to the garagio to continue working.

MICHELLE: The chicken curry patties turned out good! I mixed 1 pound of ground chicken, 1 egg (I used chia flour as an egg sub as I am allergic) 1/4 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut, 1 t curry powder, 1 clove of garlic minced, 1 t minced dry onion, salt and pepper, and formed small flat patties. I fried them in coconut oil, and served them with some Indian pickles- we liked the tomato pickle with it the best. I think Major Grey's chutney would be good too. I think they are versatile...you can switch out the spices, and ingredients to suit yourself. I think it would be good with Asian veggies, and soy sauce too....

Last edited by Ellen; 02-26-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #156  

Good Monday morning!
I finally slept a full 6 hours last night! I feel Soooo rested this morning.
For those who didn't know, I had breast cancer and am now on medicines ( aromatase inhibitors) to prevent reccurence. Down side of the drug *can* be insomnia. I am very med sensitive so if there are *possible* side effects, well you know...
Sleep deprivation is said to be one of the most detrimental aspects of weight loss. I can attest to that.

Saturday night, attended a Susan Komen event- Pink on the Rink, Carolina Stingrays hockey. They color the entire ice pink and all the players wear pink jerseys. Whole thing was pretty cool, with the exception of 'sports food'... Yes!

I ate a huge bucket of popcorn and hotdog. It was all good though... Bought
just water to drink. LOL!

I counted 7 gators yesterday while we ( my dog, Legare..lab) walked our 2 ml. Nature trail. Guess this weird Jan-Feb weather has got their sleep patterns weirded up, too. Just as long as they stay put in the water, I'm fine to co-exist for now. Come summer however, going to have to find another area to walk. Gonna miss this lovely trail

@ Ellen, the soup sounds yummy. I wrote down the recipe. I LOVE soups, don't you? Last night I made a pot of fire-roasted tomatoe and basil. I through in a cooked, chopped chicken breast and some more herbs ( like chipolte pepper). Got the seal of approval from DH.

Weather here this morning is cold.. In mid 20's. so I may wait to walk after gym this afternoon. On a side note, we planted our garden and can't wait for some really fresh produce.
Hope everyone has a great Monday!

Last edited by Michelle Grey; 02-27-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #157  

Sorry for the frenetic spacing (stupid iPad)..

url=http://www.3fatchicks.com/][/url]
Old 02-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #158  

Morning! I have the kiln on, and I am waiting to get final word from my daughter on the state of her car, before I head out to meet her and get my grandson. I may have to drive 45 min. to her house if her car is still acting up. I am firing bisque, so its a mixture of mugs, plates, bowls and platters in the kiln. I am still working on Christmas presents. I feel so behind! And I do mean LAST Christmas. I am almost three months late. Still have two paintings to finish...dragging my feet. I need to do them so I can start packing away that room to pull up the carpet and put down the studio flooring. Wish I had more energy and was a better organized person!

MICHELLE: I know what you mean about poor sleep causing weight loss difficulties! I have severe sleep apnea. Before I started using a cpap machine, I could not lose a pound for anything! And I did try...hard. Once I started on cpap therapy, I started losing weight. I am down 40 pounds now. It is obvious I had a serious problem for a long long time...the doctor told me I was lucky to be alive it was so bad. Its amazing how much better life is when you don't fall asleep all the time!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #159  

Morning. Just got off the treadmill for a wonderful walk today. It felt so good and that is rare. With heart trouble its ify on a good day on there. We went big grocery shopping yesterday and it was so good to get in some veggies. Tonight will be a big salad with our chicken breasts.

Ellen- Wow lady you sound so busy. I'll bet your teapots are lovely. Your curry patties sound just yummy....

Michelle- Good going on a good nights sleep.

Off to get busy.
Toni48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #160  
Super Mom

S/C/G: 250/250/115

Height: 5'1"

Hello!
Years ago I read Sugar Busters and I was intrigued. I also just gave birth (16 days ago, to be exact) and had gestational diabetes that pregnancy. A statistic... having GD gives you a 60% higher chance to have predisposition to Type 2 diabetes later in life. I want to get my normal weight and health under control before I have to go down that route again. It was rough enough to prick my finger and get my blood tested 4x a day (and every hour while in labor, LOL!)

So, if you'll have me here, I would like to join.

Basically, is it the same deal as the book (of which I am pretty foggy, that was years ago) No white sugar, white flour etc.?

If I could be given a quick refresher, I'd appreciate it...

Thanks!

BTW: I'm Sarah - 33yr old wife of 11 years, mom to 5 gorgeous children ranging from 2 weeks to 10 1/2 years old.
FitSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #161  

Sarah- Welcome to the board. Glad to have you here. Just jump right in.
Toni48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #162  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitSarah View Post
Hello!
Years ago I read Sugar Busters and I was intrigued. I also just gave birth (16 days ago, to be exact) and had gestational diabetes that pregnancy. A statistic... having GD gives you a 60% higher chance to have predisposition to Type 2 diabetes later in life. I want to get my normal weight and health under control before I have to go down that route again. It was rough enough to prick my finger and get my blood tested 4x a day (and every hour while in labor, LOL!)

So, if you'll have me here, I would like to join.

Basically, is it the same deal as the book (of which I am pretty foggy, that was years ago) No white sugar, white flour etc.?

If I could be given a quick refresher, I'd appreciate it...

Thanks!

BTW: I'm Sarah - 33yr old wife of 11 years, mom to 5 gorgeous children ranging from 2 weeks to 10 1/2 years old.
Welcome, Sarah!
Congratulations on your new bundle of joy. I can't answer your question specifically regarding this particular thread following the book, Sugar Busters. I personally DO follow that philosophy of " nothing white ". Sugar has proven to be one of my ultimate villains in my efforts to lose weight. I am one of those who can not stop at "just one"...
You are certainly on the right track to better health and insulin control.
If I were you I would wait a bit after having just had that little one ( 16 days...wow
Enjoy and know that we are right here to help keep you company in your efforts to good health! All the best- Michelle
Old 02-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #163  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Hi ladies, been busy bit don't know what I have been doing. Friday I worked the lunch fish fry and the night fish fry. I was worn out Saturday. We took left over fish and Mac and cheese the food kitchen on Saturday. Cleaned Sunday and baby sat and I had him again today.. His parent had a touch of a bug and he was starting with dirty diapers when he left so I might have him again tomorrow. We played outside all afternoon.f it wasa SOS beautiful. He was chasing me up and down the sidewalks and kept telling me to run. My knees are killing me so sitting with ice bags on them. Just too old I guess. We did take a ling walk too.

Ellen, all your pottery sounds SO nice. It sure keeps you busy. You are such a talented lady.

Michelle, how many years are ou a survivor. I took Tamoxifan and then aromas in. Off of everything now. I took 1/2 of an ambien evey night but just got off of them except for some occasions. Hope you ind something to help you get some sleep. Now I wake up around three and can't get back to sleep.

Toni, glad your walk was great. It was around 60 here today so I walked about 30 minutes.

Sarah, welcome to our group. Wow with five little kids you are one busy lady. Good luck and ask away.

Have a great day.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #164  

Hey Solly!
Aren't g-babies the best? I. Have two girls however they live far away from me ( Seattle). I am 3 yrs. Recovered since my mastectomy. Took two yrs. Of steroids & chemo. Now on Femara( taken off Tamox.). I was given Restoril for sleep...not happening. Seeing my doc next Tues. And plan to get something else. Have exhausted all relaxation techniques ( which does help, btw) but need some medical intervention as sleep is so vital to my health.
You are doing great, Solly! Keep up the good work!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #165  

Morning! Just unloaded the kiln. It was a bisque..the first firing. I am filling my shelves and loving it! I have enough stuff thrown to fill the kiln again and fire, but I need to trim and get it all dry. I had one casualty...a cracked mug. I can live with that when there were 17 others that look fine.

Sarah! So glad to have you join us! Congrats on your new little one! LOVE babies, and kids in general myself! I came from a family of six...would have loved more than the three I have, but lost three as well. I have lupus and they say its a miracle I have the three.... I am a diabetic. I was borderline gestational diabetic when I was pregnant the last two times, so its good for you to get it under control now. My advice to you is this- walk at least 30 minutes every day. That will heal insulin resistance better than anything else. When I am walking or exercising regularly, it gets much easier to maintain proper blood glucose levels. I am so glad the weather is getting warmer...I need to follow my own advice better!! Sugarbusters is basically this: avoid white flour, white potatoes, white rice, corn. NO sugar, and read labels. If an item has more than 3 grams of sugar per serving, avoid it. Only eat 100% whole grains...whole wheat bread - without high fructose corn syrup (Nature's Own here in ATL. is made with a tiny bit of brown sugar and is ok) You can have brown rice- basmati is the lowest glycemic variety, and sweet potatoes. Keep starches to no more than three a day to achieve weight loss. Eat lean proteins, and low fat dairy. Eat lots of veggies and a few fruits a day, but avoid bananas, pineapple, mango. Berries are the best choice. I hope you can get your insulin resistance turned around now. I wish I knew years ago what I know now. My metabolism is so screwed up now, I have to eat extremely low carb to keep my blood sugar at the best levels. And every time I cheat, I shoot myself in the foot it seems. Christmas threw me and I have not been able to get my bg levels back down to where they need to be. Its very frustrating.

Ok, dear friends, I have my five year old grandson here. They have recently started homeschooling him and he is a MUCH happier kid now. He was just not ready for how hard they are pushing them in kindergarten now. Its the first grade curriculum I used when my kids were that age! Anyway, we need to head to the store. He just finished watching Curious George on PBS.