Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:36 AM   #196  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Gwen

Gwen

And even though you've been here a month already,
Old 02-16-2011, 04:46 AM   #197  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was OP, CREDIT moi, but it included the last of some homemade bread we received as a gift - a nut bread with wall-to-wall nuts, so yummy. Only incidental exercise, but CREDIT moi for that.

FutureFitChick - Hope your new exercises bring relief.

CeeJay - Lovely, lovely image, "walking 30 mins in the full moon just after sunset." And to think it was good for you also.

Cheryl (seadwaters) - Ouch for busy, busy. Hope you find time for a relaxing stroll through the produce section of your local market.

silverbirch - Waving back toward the British Library.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Ouch for the dentist.

MaryContrary - Oh Yes, you deserve Kudos for coming here instead of the fridge. You have my admiration for accepting criticism, with extra Kudos for being able to depersonalize and to be motivated by criticism instead of feeling rejected.

maryann - My continued appreciation for teaching in a Middle School where we send our pre-civilized youth. Monster Monster Kudos for "being respectful in the face of their disrespect so they can have a good model." That's what they'll remember ten years from now.

ChefJoona - Yay for exercise Mondays.

pamatga - Thanks for "there are no 'quick fixes' in life. Period." I need to remember that.

Gwen - You are most welcome to join us. We're a bunch of folks who serve as Diet Coach / Diet Buddy for each other and who use this thread to be accountable. The Beck Diet Solution recommends that we choose two diet plans (the second for backup), so we're all on our own eating plans. Do you have an eating plan and exercise plan?

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
Experience the Difference

It doesn't matter how many times you have tried to lose excess weight in the past or how many collective pounds you have lost and then regained. This really can be the last time you ever need to lose weight. Ever. This time will be different.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 22.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #198  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Lexxiss Thank you for PMing me and explaining your life more clearly. I understand the difficult role of being a caregiver as I went through that myself back in 2008 with my mother as she was dying. You are in my daily prayers. Glad to hear you are doing your best in a very difficult situation.

Credit moi:

Realizing that I have been as much part of the problem as part of the solution in the things that keep me from living a full life.

It reminds me poignantly that there is no one to blame but myself---moment to moment.

It is easy to say "Well, I couldn't do this or that because this or that came up" but life is not lived in a static moment. It has a fluidity that Mother Nature has known for ages. Why don't we acknowledge this axiom of life?

Credit myself for slowly letting go of the fear that is associated with change, with letting go and with the unknown. All I/we have any knowledge of is today.

Continuing to transform my former home office into a dedicated work out space. Continuing to paint the walls. This is perfect time since it is warm and low humidity so the paint is drying quickly. It also burns 394 calories an hour when done continuously. It might take all week but I will burn off this last weekend's "sweets".

Credit myself for not only going to bed by 1 am but also getting up when I awake rather than lay in bed for another hour. I feel my absolute best of the day the first hour as I lay in bed. I am almost pain-free. It is such a glorious feeling that I revel in it. However, I have now decided that I will venture forth with the hope that I can strengthen atrophied muscles before the next acute flare-up happens. One thing that I have learned is that this is just a reprieve and try to take advantage of these "calms in the storms".

My vision for this coming spring is to be able to take a walk with my hubby outdoors. I am hoping for one mile without my cane. I know how absolutely important it is for me to get as much of this extra weight off. I am putting a lot of weight on my left shoulder and arm which it was not designed to do.

Credit moi:

For being bullishly determined to never give up on any of this.

God bless you all, have a good day!

Last edited by pamatga; 02-16-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #199  

S/C/G: 271/253.4/160

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck Friends,

Just a quick check in today. Hope everyone out there is doing well! Thanks for the encouragement; it really means a lot to me.

Credits:
* Planning ahead for a date night tonight!
* Promoting positive self esteem - I love myself, so I am going to make these changes.
* Eating on plan.
* Exercising - I did walk away the pounds last night and you should have seen my 2 year old trying to do the moves with me - hilarious!
* Saying No Choice and Oh, Well to the box of chocolates in the kitchen area at work. And they're the really good kind, too
* Daily weigh ins. I'm down 2 more pounds since Monday. Woohoo!

Sending warm, positive thoughts your way. Have a fantastic day.

Andrea
Old 02-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #200  

S/C/G: 193/179/160

Height: 5'7"

Also a quick check-in for me. DH had foot surgery yesterday, so I'm at his beck-and-call.

Credits:
- Exercised today!! Hadn't done that for a week. My goal today is to set up a regular schedule - that's always been a challenge for me. I usually just do it when I can fit it in, but that ultimately never works out. And then when I don't exercise for a week or so, I am hesitant to start again because I think I'll be achy, so I put it off more, and the cycle begins...

- Eating has been OP. The more I do this, the easier it seems to be getting. That's not to say I'm not going to have challenges with this down the line, but for the time being, this seems 'doable.'

Hope everyone has a good day!

- Jan
Old 02-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #201  

S/C/G: 195/188/140

Height: 5 ft. 3 inches

Hello Coaches:
Just got home from work and I think I have got tendonitis in my arm and wrist. Pain pain, not ache pain...well, I will go to Pilates in the morning, and see if my brilliant teachers (both ex-ballet dancers) can sort me out...
Third day OP was great, then I slipped at teatime -- definitely linked my panic over my arm in case it will mean not swimming for a while... BUt I am giving myself credit for:
doing my porridge and fruit breakfast perfectly all week so far
same for lunch and (soon) dinner --
feeling that my smaller portions are still satisying,
and: putting a ticker up in my signature!!
have a lovely day, Ruby.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #202  

Sorry to hear about the tendonitis, Ruby... ouch! I hear you about the panic starting a slip, but kudos to you for recognizing this.

I like your ticker!

- Jan
Old 02-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #203  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Talking Resisting french fries.

Hello my comrades in positive, healthy living!

I'm sitting in the cafe at the car dealership, waiting for my car to get serviced and fighting with myself over a craving for french fries. Thought I would come here to check in and get some virtual support.

The highlight of today was weighing in at 174.8! I have been hovering around the 175-176 range, and wanted to give it a week to see if I could officially claim this next big goal. I'm claiming it, fiercely and happily: it's been five years since I weighed this much, and I only managed to stay there for about a month. I really believe BBE's inspirational quote:
Quote:
This really can be the last time you ever need to lose weight. Ever. This time will be different.
I'm feeling the possibility of this more and more.

Wow. I just felt my craving for french fries dissolve with that thought and that image. I'm still hungry, but that's okay. Wow.

So, I have changed my ticker and set my third goal: to get down to 150. I also celebrated by treating myself to a really nice hair cut, and not worrying about the cost of it (for once).

seadwaters, writing at home makes me hungry, too! Thinking, in general, takes a lot of energy. This is something I wish I could make my mother understand. If I've learned anything from this challenge of working at home, it's that a lot of healthy snacks really keep me going.

BBE, I've been making a Butter Bran Banana Bread to have as a sweet treat option. I too dig "wall to wall nuts."

pamatga, you have a lovely vision for this spring, keep up with that healthy bullishness!

masondixonmama, kudos for planning a date night, and big ol' kudos for planning how to handle it! Sounds like two great ways to take care of yourself.

jmaf, those are two excellent credits! Exercise does take planning, even when you have a relatively free schedule (as I continually trick myself into believing).

rubyjan, ouch for that tendonitis! But congrats on your credits, and the ticker.

That's all from rainy Southern California. I'm going to spend the rest of my time at the dealership looking up recipes for healthy tomato soup. Thanks for all the support!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #204  

Congrats, MaryContrary!! for both breaking the 175 barrier, and for passing on the french fry craving. Lots of credit deserved!

- Jan
Old 02-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #205  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Everyone.

Doing OK. Yesterday I was having massive salt cravings and could have beaten off all the deer to the salt block. I overworked in my training session this morning and was really exhausted after about 10 AM on. I took a nap after work and am able to move now, at least.

I was bummed that I had to toss out a pound of ground turkey because i didn't get to it before it went bad.

I miss doing personals. I've got an exam tomorrow and a writing deadline for a manuscript in about 10 days, so that is keeping my hopping.

Take care!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #206  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

Today was a good Beck day. I went skiing with my sis and resisted her peanut M&Ms, talked her out of Taco Bell and instead had a healthy vegetarian lunch. (Which she commented was much better!) Hit the pool for a soak then said NO CHOICE to DH's Girl Scout cookies. I remembered I could have my planned treat later guilt free if I refrained from unplanned food. Mom and sis are gone and I have the evening off. I went and looked at a recumbent bike that is on sale.*credit* moi for effort which achieved the desired result.

BillBlueEyes, glad you enjoyed your planned tree-nut bread. I've been amazed at your persistence at decluttering and am ready for another project!

RubyJan, feeling that your smaller portions are still satisfying is so great! Sorry to hear about your tendonitis but hopefully your Pilates teacher can help. My yoga guru has exercises for us for our wrists.

Jan(jmaf), great that your eating OP is getting easier. I find that, too, and it's just as Dr. Beck says!

Andrea(masondixonmama), great credits! Hope your date night was fun!

pamatga, thanks for sending kind thoughts my way! Very powerful statements in your post today...I'm sure many of us can relate to. We are transforming to a workout space, too. No painting, though...I just got home from looking at a recumbent bike that is on sale. What a great vision for the spring. One day at a time you can get there!

Cheryl(seadwaters), great for an OP day...sorry for so much work!

MaryContrary,yay! for claiming your new weight on your ticker! A definite non-french fry celebration! Great that you've set a new goal and found a reward for meeting this one!

CeeJay, thanks for sharing your menu! It sounded wonderful-how I like to eat! Great list of credits!

FutureFitChick, I'm really happy when you check in even when you don't have time for personals. Good luck on your exam!

I'm going to enjoy an early night...just need to get old Rudi outside one more time. Goodnight all...thx for all your positive input.

PS I really focused on the statement in todays reading, too, and thought about this really being the "last time"!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #207  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone

seadwaters-yay for an on plan day despite feeling hungry.

BillBlueEyes-after reading your post I am cracking out the bread maker this weekend.

pamatga-seems like you are doing a lot of soul searching. Glad to hear about a dedicated work out space. that's great. I like your vision of walking with your husband.

masondixonmama- nice list of credits. And down 2 more pounds. Fantastic!!!!

jmaf- hoping your DH is on the road to recovery soon.

RubyJan-nice list of credits!!!

MaryContrary-credit for coming here instead of having fries. We are much better for you. , Congratulations at arriving under 175- wonderful.

FutureFitChick- lol re the salt block. I know the feeling.

Lexxiss- nice day you had and credit for resisting unhealthy food today.

For me- today I was on plan. No issues today. That's such a relief for me. Tomorrow will bring lots of challenges. We have a pot luck lunch at work for someone who is leaving- my plan- no sugar, 1 plate only with no seconds, eat the healthy stuff. Then it is the hotel tomorrow night- my plan- go to Safeway and purchase salad and micorwave dinner for the hotel.

Credit today for:

- weighing in
- posting
- walking 30 mins with DH- still beautiful here
- drinking lots of water
- planning tomorrow
- reading cards
- reading some of the pink book
- resisting vending machine
- eating on plan and healthy= egg whites and cheese for breakfast, plain yogurt and berries for snack, salad and steak on whole wheat bread for lunch, apple and cheese stick for snack, barbequed chicken breast, brown rice, mushrooms and brocolli for dinner. Snack will be the southbeach ricotta recipe (ricotta, splenda and vanilla- I love this so much, just discovered it)

Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow and will check in when I am back on Friday.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:13 AM   #208  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Another day, another cyclone

Hi Coaches

The natural disasters are spreading themselves around the country. This time it is Darwin and a cyclone - a once in a 500yr event. I had a very off plan day. Went to a work farewell and the food was laid on and all of it something I shouldn't eat and it turned out I had nothing to take for lunch so I ate it! A lot. And I had a non-productive day to boot - which was frustrating. My colleague has collapsed and resigned the other course directors position (at a critical time) because of the ridiculous situation. She is a person who just absorbs work and keeps going but hit the wall big time. I do wish I hadn't said yes - that'll teach me. But they aren't that good at looking after their workhorses. I have to see how I can moderate my behaviour or my health - and the job - will suffer

On the way home I stopped and a roadside organic "truck stop" on the express-way - got a good organic salad for tomorrow until I can shop. Turns out I can work at home because I was going to meetings with my moribund colleague and they have been cancelled! She rang me as I drove home.

I am now rambling. I need to refocus and move beyond today's off plan event. I will eat well tonight and have a plan for tomorrow. And I checked in here. Credit. Time for a few personals - hi and good wishes to those I miss. I have read and tried to absorb your wisdom.

BillBe - credit for onplan eating that includes yummy and healthy bread

pamatga - I have to do lots of painting which I am avoiding - it is nice to know it burns all those calories

MaryContrary - Yay for a new low - it is so encouraging isn't it. When the weight is going in the right direction it does become easier to resist

FutureFitChick - good luck with the exam and the writing. I always keep in mind that what we impose on students can really mess with their lives. Or give them challenges to rise to! Which you seem to be doing.

Lexxiss - Yay for skiing and yay for resisting peanut M&Ms and Taco Bell's (not that hard in my book - not sure it is even meat) and girl scout cookies! I too need to think about a bike - but not yet as no money or time.

CeeJay - Credit for an on-plan day where you do it easy - those days are nice and one should be able to bottle their essence to repeat the experience. Your list of credits is really good - great progress. Hope you fare better at tomorrow's work event than I did - it snuck up on me! A good plan for the hotel.

My world is heating up again and the humidity is yukky. The sort that when you get out of an air conditioned car your glasses fog up instantly. I turned on the air con when I got home and now water is pouring out of it - that can't be good! Hope it is just the humidity

Have a good day coaches

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 02-17-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:40 AM   #209  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A relaxing day, even though mostly spent going through stuff. I moved six large boxes of papers, that won't be further reduced on this pass, to a pallet in the basement to free up the room to continue working. Found myself reading instead of sorting and filing, including a stack of souvenirs from our trip 18 months ago to T i b e t. CREDIT moi for continuing, and for eating OP instead of attempting to use food to reduce tension.

Walked to get a haircut and then to the gym; CREDIT moi both. The nice lady who cuts my hair usually asks how long it's been since my last haircut so she knows how much to cut off. Yesterday, she just looked at me and said, "It's been a while," LOL.

FutureFitChick - Good luck on your exam today; may its passage free enough brain cells to cheerfully tackle your manuscript.

CeeJay - Yay for making planning work per, "my plan- no sugar, 1 plate only with no seconds, eat the healthy stuff." And another good plan for your hotel.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Good grief, having to stand down peanut M&Ms, Taco Bell and Girl Scout cookies all in the same day; Kudos.

MaryContrary - Congrats on the new low and new goal. Kudos for standing down french fries during that tension period waiting to find out how many other things the mechanic finds wrong with your car. [I'm dropping by for that Butter Bran Banana Bread, LOL.]

Ruby (RubyJan) - Ouch for tendinitis - hope you get some relief from your ex-ballet teachers. Your post reminds me that I always thought porridge was only for Oliver Twist until I learned as an adult that porridge refers to any hot breakfast cereal. It's easy to remember that a lot of trouble comes from asking for a second bowl, LOL.

Andrea (masondixonmama) - Yay for all the joy bundled into a two year old. Kudos for standing down "the really good kind" of chocolates.

pamatga - Neat to hear your progress in transforming your home office into a dedicated work out space, with Kudos for "bullishly determined."

Jan (jmaf) - Yay for "the easier it seems to be getting." Sending healing thoughts to your DH for his foot surgery.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
Experience the Difference

I know, you have probably said those same last five words to yourself many times. You probably said them just before you started your last diet. Maybe you lost some weight but gained it back. If going on the last diet wasn't different, why should you believe me when I tell you that this time will be? Because I know why you struggled. Other diet programs didn't teach you what you need to know for lifetime weight-loss success. The Beck Diet for Life Program gives you those skills.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 22.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #210  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

BillBlueEyes Wow! That is an early morning post! 4:40 am. I ended up going to bed at 2:30 am because I had a bottle of Coke Zero during my evening class and caffeine is something that keeps me wide awake for hours afterwards. The "weird" thing is I know how caffeine affects me and yet when I am busying grabbing something to drink that is what I end up getting. I will be so glad when this evening class is over.

I have really been feeling exhausted this week. I am finally starting to get up early in the morning (around 9:15 am) but by the time I check in with my other support group and this one, I still haven't had breakfast yet and I am really hungry too.

Credit moi:

I have found that logging on both my food log (yes I log everything I eat) and my exercise log on BLC site really keeps me on track. If I don't do it; ie, exercise, it doesn't get put on there. I have found that the personal integrity I am building to myself and the accountability that I have to others is what will be the turning keys in my "last weight lose efforts".

I am so much farther away than all of you are on reaching my goal weight that I am wondering if you will all be here (probably not) when I reach my goal weight. I have seen so many people on 3FC come and go. It is like moving from one grade in school to another. You make new friends who quickly become old friends and then the school year ends. It is "the nature of the beast". In the past, I have learned so much here from all of you that it will be hard to keep me away for long but "someday" I hope to be the one who says, "I'm there!"

Recently the actress, Christina Applegate, gave birth to her first child. She said that "Finally, she is someone other than a cancer survivor. She is Mom". I understand exactly what she means. When I was going through intenstive therapy for sexual abuse in the early 90s, I felt that was my only identity. However, there came a day where I said to my therapist, "I have run out of things to say, to mull over, to work through..." and I was done. I really honestly forget about that many days. I suspect that someday it will be the same with my extra weight. It will be in the past and I can move on to whatever else is in my life. To me, that is what the Beck Diet Solution represents: letting go of the old fat self and embracing the thin self that was always there but never given credit for." I really believe this is my "last time". It feels different.

Well, that is about as long as I dwell on that possibility. I focus more on today and what kind of effort I want to put forth.

Still working on the painting. I have made good progress on that. It was and will continue to be really lovely weather here in Atlanta. My husband's brother is driving through here so we will see him for a short while either later today or tomorrow. He is hooking up with a lot of relatives before he has surgery. He has agreed to give one of his kidneys for his best friend. Isn't that a lovely idea? " No greater love than to lay down one's life for a friend".

I wear a pedometer every day now and I drink my requisite water and report that every day.

As for thoughts, I think more about the fact that every decision I make today moves towards a future vision. Today is connected directly to tomorrow. That is my primary motivator for keeping on task with my weight lose efforts. No matter what the scales may say today, I am committed 110%

To reinforce and support this decision to be my former thin self, I ordered a new pair of athletic shoes for my duck-style feet (narrow heels and wider forefoot) and an MP3 player. I do not know anything about how to operate one of those (the later) so I may be asking for instructions/how to in the near future. I want my tunes when I am walking on the treadmill.

I have found the best way to get things done is to do whatever needs to be done "first thing" in the morning. So, if I need to drink water, half of it is drank by the first two hours of being awake. Easy to do for me because I usually wake up parched.

I start working out as soon as the bed is made. Now, I do want to "qualify" my statement by saying that I am currently uenmployed so this could change. However, in the past, I used to carry my gym bag on the bus and stop at a fitness center before going to work. I think that I will probably consider working out first thing in the morning before I head off to work, when that time comes. I just think if I put it off to evening, chances are it won't get done.

Thanks for all the encouragement here! Take care!

Last edited by pamatga; 02-17-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Closed Thread