Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 195/188/140

Height: 5 ft. 3 inches

congratulations masondixonmama!!! 7 pounds in one week is FAB and inspiring. Shepherdess, a new puppy, I envy you. I live in a flat wither no dogs allowed, but I have always gotten on very well with dogs and find their manners superb!
Over here, I have had my second day of being OP -- and feeling more confident. My troubles mostly occur at night, but I am going to go to sleep now.
Had a great pilates session today.
credits -- Pilates, stayed On Plan, and read my cards.
Good night Ruby
Old 02-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Happy V. Day everyone!

RubyJan: Credit for your Pilates. Pilates has saved my life in terms of my feet (suffered from plantars faciatis), overall healthy perspective and posture. Keep Going.
Ceejay:I hope today was better than you imagined. I know you dreaded it.
Seadwater: Congrats on a dancing beastie. 5 lb lost, right?
MaryContrary: I have similar thoughts on maintenance. Will it be easier? I imagine it as a garden. The original planting is heavy labor; keeping it in order is about good habits and attention to its needs.
BBE: 9 is a big number. Congrats.
Pagmatga: I am with you. The process of truth and perservance is the most important key to success.
Lexxiss: Sounds like Chaos. And Chaos of external factors and the feelings they produce are what I ate over. easy does it.
ChefJoona: portion awareness is so critical. I was just weighing meatloaf last night. it is unbelievable how SMALL 2 ounces of meat is.
Shepardess: Congrats on puppy. The whole process sounds like a lot of energy

As for me, I would love to have said Sunday was perfect. I can say it was much better than all the previous Sundays of the year. I tasted too much while I was cooking two BIG meals and I compensated by foregoing my evening snack. I must accept what is and use it for information. Maybe next Sunday will be even better.

Last edited by maryann; 02-14-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #183  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone:

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

seadwaters- you and I seem to be in the same jam with too much work. Don't sweat it about the personals. Kuddos for staying on plan.

MaryContrary-sorry you are still feel terrible. Nice list of credits in spite of that.

BillBlueEyes-9 boxes of books to be discovered and enjoyed by someone out there- that's got to feel good.

FutureFitChick- glad to hear you are doing OK.

pamatga-congratulations for adding another 10 minutes on the treadmill.

Lexxiss-sorry for the eating this weekend- sounds like a stressful time. But you took charge. I have a response card, lifted from BillBlueEyes,- "Food does not cure stress" that has helped me often.

ChefJoona-what a victory you had this weekend with brunch and dinner with friends.

Shepherdess-your new puppy sounds wonderful. Love to hear about your animals- you are lucky to have daily contact with all your critters. Something wonderful about that.

jmaf-credit for eating sanely this weekend.

masondixonmama- nice list of credits.

RubyJan-yay for your second day OP.

maryann- good for you for practicing your Beck skills this weekend by compensating for too much tasting.

For me- today was much better than expected. I am gearing up for a meeting tomorrow that will have lots of food and lots of stress. I have a plan- sit as far away from the food as possible, bring my berries and yogurt to the meeting, bring excel mints, and bring lots of water. And then draw a line in the sand. If I am going to give in- excuse myself, go to my office, read a few response cards, breathe and then return to meeting.

Credit for:

weighing in
walking 30 mins with DH
reading advantage and response cards
checking in with my coaches
eating on plan!!!!!!!!!!!!
resisting cupcakes at work
packing up lunch for tomorrow
planning food for tomorrow

Old 02-15-2011, 03:54 AM   #184  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Tuesday

Hi Coaches

Today was an on plan day - Credit. Looked longingly at the biscuit barrel during a meeting but stayed away from it. Did a bit of stair walking between appointments. Tried to eat mindfully when not grabbing food between commitments. Not a lot else to credit - no cards, no exercise. I did try to remain a bit hungry today and to deal with it - from reading your posts I think that is a good thing to persist with

Off to make dinner and get to bed. I have been getting up at 3.30 am to stay on top - I need to channel BillBE to survive that. Credit to all and to those having a tough time

Stay well Beckies
Old 02-15-2011, 04:53 AM   #185  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Many feelings come with letting go of bunches of books and treasures. But one is a freedom. To wit, I liked a book reviewed so I just walked over to my computer and did Amazon One-Click; it'll be here tomorrow. Yay and Ouch. It'll be costly if I try to instantly replace 9 boxes of books via Amazon.

Eating OP - CREDIT moi - DW made her spicy chick pea stew over cous-cous; I love that stuff. Gym was gym; CREDIT moi.

FutureFitChick - Yay for a week that begins with a good workout.

CeeJay - Terrific plan for your meeting. And Kudos for resisting cupcakes at work - those should be banned.

Shepherdess - Yay for a new Aussie - I've missed Maggie from here. Just love the single blue eye. We chose an Aussie because they were said to be so good with kids - and ours was.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Can't get past my visual of your "biscuit barrel" - which stems from the image of a pickle barrel in an old country store. Welcome to the 3 a.m. club; since we're on opposite sides of the planet, we could get to the point where one of us is always up, LOL.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Thanks for the reminder, "I can't change his behavior but I can change mine." A taco fundraiser would do me in; the thought that another taco will help out a worthy cause would easily lead me off my plan.

maryann - Such refreshing sanity, "I must accept what is and use it for information."

ChefJoona - That's encouraging, "new healthier habits in action" - your habits! I find that plain non-fat yogurt is a great substitute for many things, mainly because I really like it.

Ruby (RubyJan) - Kudos for second day OP. When I did Pilates briefly, I learned that I had a long way to go to be toned.

Andrea (masondixonmama) - Congrats on the 7 pounds gone. And Kudos for the talking back.

pamatga - I like the image, "they are part of the fabric I am weaving in my life." Kudos for "more aware of how I position my body," he writes while slouched down in his chair, LOL.

Jan (jmaf) - Kudos for "enjoyed myself but didn't go overboard." My take is that's a super skill to master so that restaurants and special events aren't a threat, but a joy. [Think you're right about the "negative energy" from clutter.]

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1
Beginning a New Way of Life

The Role of Thinking

Eventually, the messages on your Response Cards will become ingrained. You will build new pathways in your mind, so when you experience sabotaging thoughts, you will automatically answer them without thinking too much about it. Once you get to this point, sticking to your diet gets dramatically easier. That's when you will breathe a sigh of relief. You will know the formula works for you, too. That's when you will realize that dieting is worth it - so worth it. That's the moment when you start to get your life back.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 21.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-15-2011 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #186  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Indulged a bit last night for Valentine's day... but still less than I would have in the past. The concept in today's Beck quote is really starting to be relatable to me!
Credit for getting out for a long walk yesterday. Seems Mondays are the day I can routinely exercise.

Shepherdess I love reading about your life on the ranch! Welcome Fletcher!

Yay for all the on plan days, committment to the program and hard work!!!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #187  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Another quick check in... Will be busy like this for the next several weeks... Had a check with PT for my headaches and goy some exercises to try to reduce pain. Haven't been tracking food, but feel like I'm making pretty good choices.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #188  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

[Quote]have you heard about Jolie Bookspan? She has a (free) website that offers a number of solutions to pain/posture problems. I also have her books, but you can get pretty much all of the information at the 'Fitness Fixer' page at her site.

Jmaf No, I haven't heard of her but I will certainly check her out. Thanks for the tip!

While I was walking on the treadmill yesterday I was very aware to drop my shoulders instead of scrunched up, keep my right foot pointed forward instead of everted, eyes straight ahead instead of looking at the display panel on my treadmill and my back in neutral supine position. Bad posture, weak and/or inactive muscles add up to stronger muscles compensating and doing double time and, not surprising, ending up with chronic pain in key spots.

So, I decided that if I really want to lick this chronic pain once and for all. I need to work on all of these underlying issues until I no longer have the pain.

The author is not anti-surgery but he also says that if you don't "fix" the underlying musculoskeletal issues then whatever pain you went to the surgeon will return; hence, why a lot of people are so disappointed with surgery results often.

It goes without saying that there are no "quick fixes" in life. Period.

Lexxis I heard a "people pleaser" in all of your activity. I think most of us who have a weight issue are. I often notice that some people who are thin and have been thin all their lives disregard a lot of other people's feelings often. Before I get myself into trouble here, I honestly think it has more to do with self-perservation and priorities and nothing more. It just so happens that they are thin but then it is echoing what has been said about us learning to make time for ourselves. It just so happens that thin people think enough of themselves to do for themselves what they need to do. It could be an important behavior in determining whether we end up fat or thin.

Another spin on that is a lot of "perfectionist" hate to give up the idea that we can "bring home home the bacon, fry it up in a pan" "cause we're Woooooman, like the popular song says. Well, as a recovering perfectionist, I am learning to let go of being perfect on anything. Instead, I am happy to do my best at any given time and being okay with that. I heard that too when you said you started over the next day. I think we do ourselves a great disservice when we have to feel compelled to do anything "perfectly". It is OKAY to have a melt down. It's allowed. You're human.

Fat people usually have boundary issues. Lest you think you are the only one who is rushing around trying to make everyone happy until you collapse from overgiving exhaustion; I have this too and I am actively working on it. There isn't all bad about being a person who is loving and caring. After all, we all want our DS to care about us but not at the exclusion of ourselves. I am learning to walk that fine line.

Just like my issue with wanting to have my "fudge/cupcake" and eat it too, it is all about moderation.

Ironically, the more we take care of ourselves the more we have left to take care of others but we have to take care of ourselves first not last.

Credit moi:

Trusting my body and the science of losing weight to pump the water, increasing my activity and getting back on track with my food plan yesterday and seeing a 2 lb weight lose (sodium induced temporary gain) this morning.

Being flexible when things don't go my way and truly being okay with it. Bend like an willow tree, stand firm like an oak and be willing to change like a red leave maple. (yes, I just made that up )

I have decided that this is my definition of being OP. Def: There is not an off plan nor an on plan, there is only ONE PLAN and that is the plan I intend to follow until I am six feet under."

Being connected to ya'all! We can do this!

Last edited by pamatga; 02-15-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #189  
This is for life!

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/136

Height: 5'3"

Default Is Beck similar to Body for Life?

I have not found a forum here for the Body for Life challenge. Beck sounds very similar to BFL. May I join here?
Old 02-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #190  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Gwen.

I think the Weight and Resistance Training board began as a Body for Life board some years ago so it might be worth looking over there. This Beck board, though, is a very friendly and encouraging one. Good luck!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #191  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Credit: Ate only OP yesterday. Point of improvement - the planned cupcake was ate standing in dough form. Hummmmm. Nonetheless a first for no sweet gorging despite the fact my workplace (middleschool) was inundated with crap.
Tough work day today. Lots of kids being kids and it got to me. Credit for not blowing my stack. Credit for being the boundary they desperately need. Credit for being respectful in the face of their disrespect so they can have a good model. Credit for telling the truth to them and their parents even when the parents yell at me. Credit for doing my job even when I am afraid of conflict so I don't want to do it.
I'm going home to take a nap before exercise.
Thanks for listening.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #192  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Today was a better day despite another visit to the dentist. *credit* again for resistance muscles strengthened while avoiding comfort milkshakes. Tomorrow is a planned ski day. My Sis is arriving early to go with me.

BillBlueEyes, great for recognizing the freedom as you let go of lots more stuff. I, too, remember that by letting go I have room for something new.

maryann, great job finding calm and compassion at school and recognizing a nap opportunity before exercise.

Gwen, Beck Diet Solution could certainly work well with Body for Life. Here, we each follow a food and exercise plan of our choice and use techniques we learn through Dr. Beck's books to modify our thinking and behavior relating to food.

pamatga, great that you are being aware of how you exercise in relation to your pain issues.

FutureFitChick, I hope your new exercises help!

ChefJoona, I love when I really realate to one of Dr. Beck's quotes! Great that you indulged in a new way....and Congratulations! on your engagement!

Cheryl(seadwaters), yay for biscuit free days. I noticed no mention of heat...hoping it's been better lately.

CeeJay, yay for planning ahead for your stressy event. I hope it went well for you.

RubyJan, going to bed is a great technique, especially when night eating is an issue. credit for OP days.

masondixonmama, Yay! for one week on the Beck plan and for great results!

jmaf, great job getting back on track after your Friday night out. I think this is one of the greatest tools for lasting weightloss.

Shepherdess, congrats to your family and to Fletcher....he is one lucky dog.

MaryContrary, I hope you are feeling better!

everybody else! I have a few chores before heading to bed. I haven't eaten yet, due to my tooth issue...I may switch tonight and have some homemade yogurt.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #193  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello!!!

seadwaters- yay for an on plan day. Good job staying away from the biscuits at your meeting. Re:getting up at 3:30 AM-sending you a hug. I hope you don't need to do that for too long.

BillBlueEyes-credit for eating OP and going to the gym.

ChefJoona- good for you for practicing restraint on Valentine's Day.

FutureFitChick- waving hello!!

pamatga-hope the effort you are putting into paying close attention to your body on the treadmill pays off with less pain for you.

Gwen- welcome!!!

silverbirch- waving hello to you.

maryann- kuddos for a day of OP eating despite the huge stress of your job.

Lexxiss- credit for a better day. Hope you enjoy skiing.

For me- so very happy that I did everything I set out to do today. I ate what I planned despite all the tempting food at the meeting today.

Credit today for:

weighting in

reading response and advantage cards

reading some of the pink book

doing weights

walking 30 mins in the full moon just after sunset in fantastic warm weather for February

exercising resistance to food at the office

checking in with my coaches

planning tomorrow and packing lunch

eating on plan and healthy- egg whites and cheese for breakfast, plain yogurt and blueberries for snack, tuna on whole wheat and salad for lunch, apple and cheese stick for snack and brown rice and vegetarian chili for supper. Planning a healthy bedtime snack and off to bed early.

Take care everyone
Old 02-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #194  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Height: 5'5"

Post Feeling frustrated, so I come here!

That deserves a credit, yes?

Insanely busy day, including driving through BOTH LA rush-hours. With sinus pressure and movement (sorry if that's TMI, but I'm the offspring of an ER nurse). UGH.

Still, excellent meeting with a professor whom I adore, who told me that unless I articulate myself more clearly, my project "seems" like it might be falling back on intellectual laziness. Was actually glad to hear this, because the phrasing forced me to depersonalize (I'm not lazy) and be objective (she's right, articulation has been and IS , always, the main struggle of writing, for ALL): two of my enduring challenges. I did it quickly, and was able to get much constructive criticism out of our meeting. CREDIT.

I can see I've have a good day -- but I'm tired and cranky all the same. Plus, dealing with dental insurance issues. Ugh, encore.

Looking forward to leftover chickpea soup and toasty multigrain bread.

BBE, ::sigh::, I figured balance would always be the struggle. And, of course, the joy. Nice job on the de-cluttering. I recently dropped off three crates of books to my favorite book thrift-store, and walked out with 10 "new" ones! Enjoy that spicy soup.

Lexxiss, really loved the image of you laying in the bed, making YOUR plan. Credit!!!! Continue taking care of yourself, and you'll also be taking care of DH (at a slant). My DP always says, "When it's about me, it's about you." And, because she doesn't abuse this statement, I can really see the truth in it. When we take care of ourselves, we also better the lives of those we love. For me: I'm a much nicer person when I've worked out.

ChefJoona, make sure you record those memories of the gathering, and noticing your increased self-control. That's a big credit, and a big hurdle!

Shepherdess, sending energy your way during this exciting and exhausting process. Enjoy the puppy-smell of Fletcher!

jmaf, I use ocean spray, but I think moving up to a neti pot is the next step. The surgery helped correct anatomical problems, but I'm still dealing with sinus swelling from allergies. My life-long adventure! Nice work with your weekend plan.

masondixonmama, woo-hoo on the 7 lbs!

rubyjan, great credits, and sleeping is a healthy solution for the night-time munchies.

maryann, thanks, as always, for the image of the garden. And yes, some MAJOR credits to all that you give to those teenagers. Stay strong.

seadwaters, congrats on surviving the meeting munchies!

ceejay, I just loved your plan for the meeting. So detailed! And you did it! Just keep on with that resistance muscle.

Feeling much calmer. Thanks for being here!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:47 AM   #195  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Wednesday

Hi Coaches

I had an on plan day and stuck with foods on my plan. Not that good at tolerating hunger today. I was working at home trying to get writing done and that always makes me hungry - the structure of being at work is helpful. But I didn't break plan.

No exercise or cards or reading today - all work unfortunately. I have a plan for tomorrow and the food in the house so it should be a good day. But I run out or food tomorrow and I'm not sure when I will have time to replenish! A few quick personals

Ceejay - so glad you are having an easier time and survived the tempting meeting food

MaryContrary - sounds like you are getting on track and are using the opportunities for feedback to get where you need to. Ouch for dentists and sinuses

Lexxiss - Everyone seems to be having dental issues! And they are always difficult. I have put of a huge dental job until the middle of the year - I will literally need to re-mortgage! Credit for avoiding milkshakes - one of my favourite once-a-year things. Yes - it is much cooler at the moment but there will be a few bursts of heat before it finishes. Enjoy skiing

FutureFitChick - - hope things settle down soon

BillBE - Yay for the freedom that comes with unburdening possessions - someone will really enjoy it. I have severely culled all my books and now have room for those one-click purchases. Have to say I bought a kindle and love it - it is SO easy to hold and use - especially with arthritis in the hands. And the books take up no room at all! I still need paper books though

Have a good day coaches
Closed Thread