Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #241  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Thank you every one for the notes of encouragement. All I can say is "back at ya!"

Credit moi:

Getting up "early" even though bedtime was 3:30 am last night. One step forward, two steps back.

Logging my breakfast for starters--one serving portions "moving forward".

Water first choice in beverage right away.

Preparing for Lent coming up by beginning a 54 day Novena Rosary. Now is the time......lots of needs for so many to pray for. I am also doing a Consecration exercise as well for 31 days. Here is where my "strength" comes from.

Some ugly stuff with our bank this past weekend but after a "bad night's sleep", I came up with a doable solution for us that will be a "work around".

The weather continues to be extraordinarily beautiful so I will go and enjoy that.

Peace to all!

Last edited by pamatga; 02-21-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #242  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post Feels like morning but it's 2:29pm

Hi Coaches

I'm here. Awake. But barely moving.

credits: weighed in 283 (-2) and cooked from scratch today. So far, no seconds.

I made breakfast and I got dinner into the crockpot early this morning and I made some treats from some mix I found in the cupboard when I was decluttering two weeks ago now. I'm allowing it today without guilt.

You'll notice there is no mention of "packing boxes" in this post yet. This is because I haven't touched any boxes or packed anything since our return home. DH seems to be doing the same as me: chillin' in front of some computer games.

Methinks the week, the task, of finding a place to live took its toll on us. I think we're recharging for the month ahead.

It is now one-day-less-a-month until the day that I want to have our stuff arrive at the new place: March 19th or 20th. I was online looking up movers and moving help and all that. Seems there are quite a few, like more that 5, movers who advertise regular runs between Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto. I don't know what our budget is, and I don't know how much stuff we'll have, but it's really not knowing how much stuff we'll be moving that's stopping me from calling for an estimate. They want to know the details: # of boxes, specific items like bed and buffets and etc. I don't know this stuff yet.

DH has offered to take the few boxes that I have packed already to his mom's place to "get them out of my way". Wish I had more.

Whatever aka Oh Well.

I hope I can get into it tomorrow but I suspect I will once DH is gone. I think I need to work undisturbed or without distraction.

I do know it feels much better to know what kind of place I am moving to. It really really helps to decide what stays and what goes.

Thanks for listening.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #243  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckies - checking in. My endoscopy went well. It didn't hurt a bit. I am a bit sleepy. Will give you info tomorrow. Hope you are having a good day.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #244  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Well, it's been a while since I've been here. We've had a busy week and I've only been around a computer long enough for quick e-mail checks. Calving is going well. They started coming just after we moved in, so our timing was perfect. They were 10 days early, but we've learned to expect them early. I'm finally figuring out how to eat through all of this, but it did take me a few days. I had to come up with new stand-by plans, since we're using a tiny dorm-room size fridge so I can't keep all my usuals.

We were having crazy winds last week, but I did keep up my exercise by doing yoga. It's going to be my standby indoor exercise while we're calving since I didn't bother to pack weights. We had one day when the wind died down to a manageable 20 to 25 mph and I took the opportunity to go for a run. I would normally think twice about running in that wind, but I'm glad I went since we immediately got snow. So more yoga. . .

I changed my ticker today and I'm happy to report that my weight is right on track. For those who are new and confused by it, I've got a baby on the way. I successfully lost weight on Beck and kept it off for 6 months, and am now using Beck to gain the weight healthfully for the baby. It's helpful when that "eating for two" sabatoging thought pops up. And the plan is to stick with Beck post-baby and lose the weight again.

Happy Birthday FutureFitChick!

Welcome Home BeverlyJoy! I'm so glad you had a great trip and it sounds like you did well sticking with your plan.

Jmaf, glad your DH's surgery went well and I'm wishing you well being his caregiver. I know it can get tough at times.

Seadwaters, sorry for all the upheaval in your department. Wishing you the best while you face all the extra work and stress.

OnebyOne, yay for finding a place to live! That should help ease stress tremendously.

Gardenerjoy, yay for getting back on the wagon and thanks for the insight that it's all about getting the right people in your corner. This is a great group here!

Pamatga, congrats on walking around Walmart without your cane! It's such a great reward for all your hard work.

Lexxiss, hugs for all the emotional turmoil over your dear friend.

MaryContrary, sending supportive thoughts while you face a big deadline. Best of luck.

BillBE, good wind gear is a must! Great job getting out in it! I heard the E. Coast was facing some pretty serious wind.

Waving to everyone else!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:55 PM   #245  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Mondays that feel like Sundays.

::linking hands with gardenerjoy and jumping back into the loop:: Thanks for the great image!

I always begin my time here by re-reading my last post. The last one made me wince, because full of whining and complaining. So I thank you all, as always, for responding with endless support. You teach me much about just letting emotions pass through. Really, thank you.

I feel calmer today, and ranting helped. I did not manage to get any work done, nor did I come up with a plan for eating, but I did eat better and work out. I know that part of not working on my academic stuff has been that DP has been off for five days. I just don't get a lot done when the house is full, unless I leave.

We had a delicious meal of fresh shrimp with garlic and EVO, lemon garlic rice, and steamed broccoli. We've made plans for meals for the week, too. I'm going to try my hand at chicken and dumplings tomorrow (wheat flour!). I got sad because I couldn't find the cookbook my grandmother had made for me. I'm missing her a lot, right now.

BBE, confronting stuff can take years, so big kudos. No choice to those decadent cookies also deserves some major kudos.

Chefjoona, many strong thoughts on your process of recovery. There is nothing quite worse than a stomach bug. Thanks for your comments about home, which remind me that I struggled with some of these same issues even when living alone.

Ceejay, those are some great goals for today. Sore necks are terrible. When I work at the computer for a long period of time, I force myself to look up (eyes and neck) at least every 15 minutes. I stretch out my neck, and also focus my eyes on long-distance objects (to avoid strain headaches). Sometimes I even set a timer to remind myself to do this. Whatever it takes, eh? Hang in there.

gardenerjoy, yes, why is waking up hungry such a good feeling? And you're right -- we can do this, too! Write the brilliant books; or, at least, the books that make us happy. AND we can be healthy while we do this!

pamatga, beautiful weather does wonders for the rest of life, yes? Enjoy!

onebyone, belated congrats on finding a place! Big kudos for letting yourself take a break. There is still more stress to come, but you've conquered a major hurdle.

beverlyjoy, glad to hear about the smooth endoscopy. Also, a belated welcome back from Disney World! Isn't it just kinda amazing???

shepherdess, waving to you and the calves and the puppy! Ahhhh, the joys of dorm room refrigerators!

Evening goals:

-- make a plan for tomorrow
-- healthy snack
-- finish laundry

Goals for tomorrow:

-- up early!
-- academic work until 4
-- work out
-- dinner
-- plan for next day's eating and academic work
Old 02-22-2011, 03:18 AM   #246  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Another day, and an earthquake this time

Hi Coaches

The earthquake is "across the ditch" (the Tasman Sea) but we see New Zealand as connected to us so it is relevant. It seems they got it badly this time. We need to wait to know the final outcome. When you look at the fault maps, a major fault runs right through the middle of NZ. They must feel a bit like those who live in SF.

I am sort of on plan but straying a bit. I met with the powers-that-be today and ditched a major project. It was untenable in the current climate but I feel a bit of a failure. I also feel REALLY relieved. I get some of my life back and I can focus on other things that are important. I am trying to process it tonight.

I need to get back into ritual behaviours that make this all possible. Tomorrow

BillBE - resisting "chocolate coated shortbread cookies" is a triumph! I didn't even resist nasty Monte Carlo processed biscuits yesterday - I hate Monday meetings and the rubbish they serve - but my lack of resistance I hate more. Will need to work on that

ChefJoona - I am glad you are improving - it is difficult to be on plan when you aren't up to scratch

CeeJay - hope your neck is feeling better. Hang in there and I hope things improve soon. Keep up with those credits!

GardenerJoy - I have read about your stray from plan and it is interesting that it has been related to an adjustment as you get closer to goal weight. I hadn't considered it as a danger period. Great that today on plan was comfortable

pamatga - Yay for "extraordinarily beautiful weather" - ours is improving too. I like the between weather of spring and autumn. So I am looking forward to it - still periods of really hot weather here. Your Easter observations sound interesting.

onebyone
- I am so glad you have found a house - you will start to pack now that you know where you are going I am sure

Beverlyjoy- glad the endoscopy went well - nice to see you back

Shepherdess - life sounds busy! Glad your weight is going to plan with the pregnancy. Sounds difficult camping out in the calving area!

MaryContrary - glad you feel calmer and in control. Yay for planning and organising your week

Take care Beckies
Old 02-22-2011, 05:29 AM   #247  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - (But feels like Monday)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - More boxes emptied, CREDIT moi - some to the trash, some ready for Good Will, and some treasures found. Found my copy of Stranger in a Strange Land with its 1978 inscription from a dear friend who is still in my life. Continues to be emotionally draining - but less so each time. I am confronting the thought of entering a new phase of my life - feels like facing my mortality by observing that a single book exists that I will never read again.

Eating OP, CREDIT moi. At gym, CREDIT moi, I did my chest press with larger weights after a guy last week told me I was wasting my time lifting with weights that I could do 12 reps with. He urged me to advance faster. I suspect it's a guy thing, but I do love increasing the numbers on the dumbbells.

onebyone - Yep, packing and sorting is emotionally draining. Keep the faith, a clear goal in mind will help you kick into gear.

CeeJay - Seems to me that accepting oneself "at about 85% so that's great" is the key to a long and healthy life; Kudos.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for back on plan. I routinely confront your, "but routinely forget what I learned," LOL.

Shepherdess - Kudos for a successful week of midwifery. It was a jolt to see your sticker of advancing weights - until I remembered. How is your new dog handling all the birthing?

Beverlyjoy - Glad your procedure went well.

Cheryl (seadwaters) - Thought of you as soon as I heard about the earthquake - that was a tough one. Monster Kudos for ditching the untenable project. With that gone, perhaps the "nasty Monte Carlo processed biscuits" will seem to serve no purpose.

MaryContrary - Yay for feeling calmer. Here's hoping it's a good week for back to your writing.

ChefJoona - When carbs are what the system can handle, carbs are the thing. Continue recovering.

pamatga - Ouch for the reality of bank issues, with Kudos for figuring out a "work around." Enjoy your "extraordinarily beautiful weather."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2
Experience the Difference

This time is going to be different because the Beck Diet for Life Program is different. Here is how:

. . .
It teaches you what to do when you want to eat, but it's not time to eat. People want to eat for lots of reasons. They want to eat when they are hungry, craving, stressed, tired, bored, upset, celebrating, or procrastinating. They want to eat when they smell food cooking, when they see a food commercial, or when they pass by a bakery. The Beck Diet for Life Program teaches you what to say to yourself in these situations and what to do to avoid consuming extra calories.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 23.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-22-2011 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #248  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Quick check in before I head to work. Am feeling almost 100%, so its back to eating on plan. I've got my food packed for the day, and a great recipe I'm looking forward to making tonight!

Dealing with some nerves about going back to work after being out sick. Hoping things are manageable. I have a great team, and we always cover for eachother when we're out, so no reason to worry too much.

It's cold here- single digits (F)... am dreaming of Spring weather when I can get out and walk after work!

Have a great day!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #249  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up 45 manageable parts over 20 days - (feels like forever)

Hi Coaches

DH left again last night. It never gets easier for me when he goes. I suppose after 19 years & 4months together this is an amazing fact.

Before bed last night I made a detailed list about the packing job ahead of me. I carefully broke this whole place into zones. Looks like I have 45 of them. Ideally I want to be packed by March 15th so I have leeway with movers/moving to get our stuff to the new place for the weekend of March 19/20. Poor Caesar will have to be medicated for the 4 hr car ride. Gravol does the trick but I want the vet to administer it so I need to arrange that. I also need to get all our medical records. My file is huge! I need to get in contact with the tax dept to request some stuff too. I kindsorta want to do this today but feel like calling revenue canada is like waking the sleeping dragon! Nevermind. I am owed money, I need to get caught up with the taxes, and this is what I have to do to get that-->*credit moi=DONE!*

Much to eat over if I choose. I say NO CHOICE to eating for these reasons.

*credit-weighed in: 281 (-2)*
heading toward being less than 280 which is my only goal for my end of the month official weighin. Would be fantastic if I didn't have to change my ticker.
*credit-cooked from scratch/no second helpings.*
Need to work on-drinking more water; stretching my body to prevent unnecessary injury as I get packing.

So back to the 45 zones in 20 days=2 zones/day +a few more on good days.

Today's zones:

#13 beside the chair DONE
#14 the coffee table 3/4 DONE
#15 in front of the shelving 2/3 DONE

ALSO:
sort laundry/wash shower curtain (exciting) _NOT Done____
do dishes in dishwasher _Not Done____

My special task this week is to have a "move in kit" for DH to take with him next weekend since he moves in on the 1st; a week from today!!! Yikesamama that's soon! Also for this week is a special focus on gathering things for the Free Garage Sale on the 27th.

Gotta go get started.

UPDATE: that stupid coffee table was an endless pit. So many things, so much variety. I just can't do it anymore. It'll have to wait until morning. The stuff by the shelves are just waiting for me to make more boxes. Again, I've had it. Somehow I missed dinner too so I am going to stop for the night (8:49pm now) and eat some food and head up to bed so I don't have to look at this mess anymore tonight.

Last edited by onebyone; 02-22-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #250  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I had some last minute swaps in the food plan yesterday, but all within parameters of the way I want to eat now to get these last pounds off.

WI: NAkg, Exercise: +50* 940/1300 minutes for February, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 02-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #251  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Height: 5'2"

Hey there everyone. I have started reading this book and would like to join in this process. Is it ok to do that while still reading, or better to wait until done with the book? Could someone let me know, do we post our goals and how we are doing with them, listed as credits? I have struggled with consistency, the gain and lose and regain cycle, sugar addiction, and binge eating. I am hoping the tools in this book will help me make the process more conscious, make me more aware of the freedoms and choices I have and the things that I can do, and allow me to gain the knowledge and control I need to access my ability to lose the excess weight and then maintain. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #252  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Credit moi:
one of my strengths is thinking on my feet in the midst of a "crisis". It helped me get through a potentially really disastrous situation in the past near week. I feel so blessed to have that strength!
I have been fighting the onset of a cold for the past week so I have been taking Emergen-C, still exercising and logging all my food.

I so feel for those of you who live amidst Nature's wonders and dangers like the fault line. I often wonder where we would be safe in this world. It seems there is danger all around us. So, my solution is to have my home an oasis, which it is, where I can go to be calm and serene. Living the "Serenity Prayer" also helps tremendously: accept the things we can not change, change the things we can and knowing the difference!

Walking more in large public spaces and outdoors. Not miles but steps and steps---maybe one mile.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #253  

S/C/G: 271/253.4/160

Height: 5'5"

Hello friends,
Quick check in today. My plan suffered a bit yesterday as I didn't get to eat my lunch, so I added in a bit more food for dinner. I said "no choice" to cookie cravings. Yay for strengthening my resistance muscle.

Tomorrow is my mom's birthday and I already checked the restaurant's menu and picked my meal and wrote it down.

I was down .6 today after gaining a bit yesterday. I am happy with my progress. SO grateful for this forum and for the knowledge I have gained over the last two months. I hope everyone has a wonderful day. Thanks for being here.

Andrea
Old 02-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #254  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Catching up on posts this week. I was in Tahoe skiing.
BBE: You are a good Guy and deserve chocolate at .99 cents but you deserve even more sanity. Good Choice.
Lexxis: Glad for the good news. A plan is a good idea.
Beverelyjoy. Here's hoping you get back in the swing of things. I went for a rocky weekend myself and it is scary to think it is time to settle in and work the program.
Onebyone: Credit to cooking from scratch.
RubyJan: Slow and Steady has been my whole journey. I have lost 1/2 pound a week on average which means I think it will stay off.
masondixonmama: Credit for drawing a line. I look at the clock and say (after a slip) if I start this minute by the time I wake up I'll be 12 hours on plan.
gardernejoy: welcome back after a week's absence. You are an inspiration to me,.
Pagamata: Hallejuah for walking.
MaryContrary: I echo Making a Plan for a Weekend. Mine wasn't working but I always struggle with them.
Everyone else : "Hi".

For me - another tough weekend. 2 pounds higher this morning but past history tells me I can get it off by the end of the week.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #255  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Quick check in... 7 days until this madness is over... 7 days until my deadline. Yuck! I've been trapped in a "this is a new beginning - starting tomorrow" mode alternating with rational eating. Kind of a mess right now and just want to erase all of my day to day plans and schedules and "get my house in order", while noting that any time I take a "mental health day" to do just that, I laze around the house. In short, I'm stressed over my deadline and the lack of time to deal with life activities and I delude myself that some quality calendaring time will fix it. Nevermind the fact that as soon as i make that calendar up it is out of date. Like I said, 7 more days of this...
Closed Thread