Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #61  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I may catch up with you all later today but wanted to check in. Yesterday provided the inevitable non-productive tongue lashing from my Mom as we tried to finish company bookwork AND prepare for my sister's arrival. *credit* for not going home and emotionally eating over it. I had a sane lunch, although not what I had planned because I needed some food and rest. *credit* Mom for calling to apologize. Dinner was a switch off, too, as she wanted to take us for dinner as a way of making amends. I had two homemade cookies with dinner and considered them an acceptable trade-off for the thrown away donut...

maryann, thanks for sharing your inspiring words. It was such a joy for me to read after I got home after a long and stressful day.

Carol, sorry you battled your fruit tart again. *credit* for stopping and posting about it. One thing I learned from Beck reading was about making personal rules...it also gets mentioned here. I always remember gardenerjoy saying she doesn't buy food where she gets gas. I adopted that and find it really sticks with me. Your fruit tarts come from somewhere...is there a rule you could apply? Or a day of the week...one on Sunday?? I did find when I planned for the dreaded donut that it became easier to resist...that's another technique I have learned from my Beck readings.

Ok, off to planned breakfast with Mom. *credit* for saying NO CHOICE to Dim Sum in Denver today.

ETA-just read the guidelines for posting lol. Exercise yesterday was hauling 15 bags of stuff from Moms(multiple stair trips) and walking both to/from Elks dinner. Today I'll walk at least a mile and haul the bags out of my car at the dump.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 02-05-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Grrr! Just wrote a long post, and the wireless internet went out before I could post and I lost it.

Let's see if I can recreate what I said...

Noted appreciation for the honesty, support and nonjudgment on this forum! No matter where any of us are on any given day. This is a place to share struggles and ask for support, as well as share successes!

Reported on mostly on-plan day yesterday, aside from some urges for snacking in the evening. Credit for taking one bite of an off-plan snack and tossing the rest away. This is a real challenge for me.

Planning for some outdoor activity with DP today, and snow shoeing with my sister tomorrow.

Its been my habit to post in the morning, but I'm thinking of switching to posting in the evening, as that is my danger time. Perhaps checking in with all of you at that time will give me the resolve, motivation and inspiration to get through it.

Onebyone Sounds like you're breaking down the packing and organizing tasks well. Looking at a whole house full of things to do is daunting, breaking it down into smaller steps makes it manageable!

MaryContrary Good luck with the work this weekend! Hoping you can find some good focus for writing.

Carols2 It really sounds like you have some great awareness of what's going on for you right now. That awareness can be the key to keeping yourself from total loss of control! Big CREDIT for checking in here!!

Seadwaters Thanks for the temp conversions from C to F Helps me get an exact sense of the heat you're dealing with! Yikes!

Happy and healthy weekend to the rest of you!

I'm going to spend some time today finding healthy and low cal recipes for the SuperBowl!
Old 02-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck folks - yesterday was another healthy day… I am grateful. I kept with my plan well.
Some credits too:
Plan/measure/log food
Lots of water
Low sodium
Exercise - stretches, strengthening, rec. bike
Left a bite
No seconds
Meditation
Journeled

Tonight we are invited to a party where my mom lives. DH hasn’t seen my mom for a while and thought it would be fun to all go to the gathering together. I really don’t know a lot of what food will be available. I do know that there will be crab dip, meatballs, fruit, veggies - that’s all I know. I hope they have some bread - I can do fruit and bread and tomatoes if they have any. (other veggies too crunchy for my jaw - sigh.) I am going to have a snack at 6pm. The party is at 7pm.

I got some oatmeal to put into small serving size baggies to eat for breakfast at Disney in case they don’t have something for my breakfasts.

I hope you are all doing well. I hope I can get back later. I am reading everything folks are posting. Thanks for being here.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

I love Saturday mornings with DS - 8yo. My farmer husband is usually working, so it is just the two of us. Sat. is the one day I let him go to town with the tv - Sat. morning cartoons. Eventually hunger drives him out of the room and we have a nice visit over breakfast. I have told him he can plan and cook a meal. He is so excited that he has been reading cookbooks for days. If I plan this right, when he grows tall enough, he can take a night to cook each week. Help for me and also he can learn what a meal is supposed to look like - a small protein, two fruits and vegis, small grain.
OP yesterday. Brought a PBJ sandwich plus my planned evening snack to the Kings vrs Spurs Game at Arco Arena. The first thing I thought when opening my eyes this morning was, "Yeah, I was OP yesterday." So many games I have been to when I ended up eating a Tollhouse cookie ice cream sandwich and felt sick the next day. Going to a crab feed tonite. My first prioirty is to remain OP because I have been struggling on weekends a little. I will eat the crab and salad but take my cheesestick and Reese's PB cup for evening snack.
Masondixonmama: I felt strange weighing everyday but now I understand how the power can be taken away from the scale and also the built in accountability of having to get on the scale whether you were OP or not.
FFChick: I've got the runny nose as well and it stinks.
Pamatga: Welcome.
Carol2: There is a part in the Beck program which talks about believing in yourself. You didn't lose weight by accident. You have learned to live differently with food. You have different skills and those won't evaporate over nite. Plus, you are trying new things like posting here and that means you will continue to grow in confidence.
Lexxiss: Mom stuff is the hardest stuff we face in our lives. That is my firm belief. I have to envy you a little because at least your mom apologizes. Mine is a little kid who avoids responsibility like she just spilled the milk or something and has to cover it up. Credit for working the plan through the powerful feelings.
BBE: A pound is a pound is a pound in my book. It reminds me of my old Weight Watchers days, though and my extreme self back then. Before weigh in I would exercise for an hour and go to a sauna. Hmmm. Not a lot of peace there. I like this way of thinking better.
ChefJoona: Congrats on throwing away food. It is the first skill I learned and I have used it many times since. Now, I usually just have to tell myself, "Im going to throw it away if I eat anymore" and I'll stop picking.
Beverleyjoy: I ate instant oatmeal a lot while I was vacationing. My trick was to put protein powder or nonfat dried milk in it for extra protein.

Last edited by maryann; 02-05-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #65  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I've already been shoveling snow for nearly two hours and there will be more today! We unexpectedly got three inches of fluffy white stuff on top of the mess that we were never able to shovel off earlier. So, we shoveled powder off of snow pack this morning (shoveling to snow pack isn't near as satisfying as shoveling to pavement!). Now the sun is out and we're expecting temps above freezing. Assuming the snow pack gets slushy later, we'll go out and do it all again!

WI: NAkg, Exercise: +45* 195/1300 minutes for February, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, pamatga!

carols2: hugs! I've seen several places recently the notion that if someone forbids you to think about polar bears that, try as hard as you might, there will be white bears frolicking in your brain. The only thing that works is to replace the thought with something else -- elephants! zebras! For me, with food, it helped to refocus my obsession in the direction of all-natural ingredients, cooking, local foods and the like. It also helped to develop some righteous anger against Big Food that engineers and markets highly processed foods in ways that make them all but impossible to resist. The End of Overeating by David Kessler was a helpful book for that. I feel like I'm subverting a food system that's gone mad by choosing whole food ingredients. Oh, and I like everything Lexxiss said, too. Rules work for me, partly because my inner rebel can focus on the subverting the food system and doesn't get too upset about the rules I've set for myself.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #66  
Green Tomatoes

carols2: Just read something in the book I'm currently reading that addresses where you are at the moment. The book is The Way to Eat by David Katz and Maura Gonzalez and this is on page 35:

Quote:
Each impediment to healthy eating in the modern world contributes something to the cumulative difficulty you face in efforts to change your diet, to control your weight, to improve your health. When the sum of all this difficulty exceeds your motivation, no matter how great your motivation, you will not, cannot change your behavior. Worse still, failing to change your behavior despite a strong motivation to do so leaves you feeling terribly frustrated, even discouraged.
That makes sense to me. Of course, not much there to tell you what to do about it. Guess I need to keep reading....

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 02-05-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #67  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJoona View Post
Noted appreciation for the honesty, support and nonjudgment on this forum! No matter where any of us are on any given day. This is a place to share struggles and ask for support, as well as share successes!
I couldn't have said it better, ChefJoona.

Hi Coaches! I have been up since before the crack of dawn. I have had a very rewarding day, and am hitting my low point. I want to just keep going (do personals) but recognize that most of my unplanned eating happens when I'm just too tired. maryann got me thinking and I've put a book on top of the stack near my bed, What Happy Women Know, by Dan Baker. It's snowing like crazy and I might lose my service but wanted to check in.
credits
~staying OP
~shopping super healthy!
~having some really sane conversations with myself regarding food. (I bought avocados and found myself really thinking through the process of how to use them, balancing my menu nutritionally) The old me planned an unhealthy mexican dinner around 3 avos!
exercise
~didn't walk my planned mile
~spontaneous....lots! recycle, hauling trash, picking up in the yard
Old 02-06-2011, 12:10 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Coaches/Buddies, today was way off plan because both my husband and I are totally wiped out from different sourced bugs. We’re trying not to kill each other with our mutual whining, coughing, and sneezing. So far I’m pulling ahead in the race to get over my cold, but hopefully I’m not just racing towards his. Didn’t get my food planned like I was hoping for the week because of being sick, but did stock up on healthy staples and some unhealthy cookie dough and velveta (darn Super Bowl display). I noticed earlier today that I was reading a blog post (http://melomeals.blogspot.com/) of a woman that does low cost vegan. When she was starting to feel ill she stepped up her raw eating to boost her immune system, but I get processed comfort food. What the heck? I think (or hope) it might have come out differently if we both weren’t so miserably sick right now in our house.

Today’s Essentials:
Weigh-in: did not weigh
Read Advantage Cards two times: once
Read Response Cards at least two times: once
Ate slowly, sitting down, noticing every bite: no
Gave myself credit when I engaged in helpful eating behaviors: not really
Did spontaneous exercise: does walking around the pharmacy for cold medicine and the grocery store for OJ count?
Did planned exercise: no
Wrote out food plan for tomorrow: no
Tracked today’s food: no
Left food on my plate: yes
Ate only to normal fullness: a little too full
Identified and responded to a self-deluding thought: not really

BeverlyJoy, hope dinner party with your mom went well. Are you driving or flying to Disney? (You may have written that already and I apologize if I missed it.)

BillBlueEyes, good for you for supporting the local market in selling real food. That is awesome!

Carols2, hang in there. You can beat this. Those foods don’t really have that power over you as I know you are stronger!! Keep at it! Don’t go for the pills!

ChefJoona, good idea about changing your posting time. I’ll be really interested to find out if it helps you out.

GardenerJoy, we were out trying to get our cars in the driveway this morning too, as we expected the snow plow to be by getting today’s snow off the road. It took a while, but we got them up, without reaching concrete as well. Great job at getting more than 10% of the month’s exercise out of the way. Thanks for adding interesting books to my future reading list too (2 in fact).

Lexxiss, family drama plays such havoc with eating. Can you imagine how nice it must be to be one of those like 4 people on earth that eats just when they are hungry, stops when they are full, and doesn’t respond to every stressor in life trying to sedate it away with the dullness that comes to us from the increased blood flow to the stomach after eating. Too bad for me that I’m not one of them and sorry that you have to struggle along with me!

Maryann, I love that you are getting your 8 year old son to cook and that he is excited about it. What wonderful parenting to teach him about healthy cooking early on. What is a crab feed like?

PamatGA, welcome! I hope others were able to answer your questions, but let me know if they haven’t.

Seadwaters, I’m sad to hear about your bananas. I also hope Australia doesn’t find the solution in corn products for sugar like the US has. Stay cool!

Shepherdess, I hope you are doing well! Stay warm!!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #69  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Saturday evening check in

Hello coaches

*credit* for checking in tonight as I almost forgot.

I just looked out to see it snowing. Gee. It felt like spring here today, all warm and sunny, even though I knew it would snow again.

DH and I have decided to make an offer on the tall skinny townhouse we saw a few weeks ago that is around the corner from his work. The agent said the two units were still available so that bodes well for getting one of them. We're both tired of the hunt and just want a place to live and while the rooms are small we can make it work. We don't have much furniture anyway; our wealth is all in books and artwork and classic video games and comic books. I have a decent collection of romance comics if I say so myself-my favorite being the Nurse and Doctor comics. Often the nurses will faint into the arms of the doctor=True Love and great grist for the artwork mill.

Today I threw out the snacky things in a bag brought into the house by DH from his car ride home. Into the garbage they went. *credit* DH's mom sent him here with two tupperware thingys of leftovers. They'll go in the garbage tomorrow. It's the thought that counts.

I got through another garbage bag of laundry = three bags emptied in two days. *credit* I followed the basic daily plan I came up with for my clean up = (1) a load of dishes washed and put away/sorted/packed and (2) laundry washed and dried, sorted/packed/thrown away. I didn't do much more today as DH was home and I just wanted to enoy his company, though he mostly spent the day downstairs working on game code for the Vectrex his favorite gaming system. He has made quite a few games for the system and we even attended the classic video game convention in Philadelphia one year, I think 1998 or so. Anyway it makes me happy to see him coding again. Yay! So it was an easy day.

I entertained my friends' two young boys by having them over to continue playing Lego Indian Jones on our wii this morning while tey went to see the place tey are moving to on March 1st. It's so funny to see the two boys "accidentally" blow each other up in the Indiana Jones game. One boy is 10, the other 8.

After they left I dropped off two boxes at the Sally Ann, one box had a complete set of pots, fresh from the dishwasher this morning, complete with lids. I had two good sets of pots but only need one. I hope one blesses someone's home. I also donated a garbage bag of linens and clothes. More of both kinds of stuff next weekend-I'm already working on a new box and a new bag. It's really really good to see progress.

I have 2 official boxes packed and I *credit* picked a date for my move: March 15th. DH gets paid then so we can pay a mover; it's mid-month so easier to find a mover, and it gives me 2 weeks to come back and clean this place up a bit before we are officially out on March 31st.

Today I looked online into water aerobics, or aquabics, where I am moving to and I have a good selection to choose from; three places even! YAY. I've also found a community garden to hook up with, and two places where I can work on my ceramics not to mention I downloaded the form for the local fall art studio tour. I hope we get our place so I can send the form in (due date feb 11 aka this coming friday YIKES!) with my new *local* address, and my images, and cross my fingers they put me on the studio tour for October 2011. I am determined to be a happy girl once the move is over and I start to settle into my new community. I'm going to do my best to make a good life for myself and for DH.

I'm glad to have chosen a date to move and that we are going for this townhome near DH's work. It feels right; let's hope it works out.

*credit* for moving forward and for choosing over and over to hold to a positive outlook even if some days it feels bleak.
It feels hard cause it is hard.
But right now I am about to enjoy sleeping in a nice clean bed due to my recent laundry efforts. *credit*

Food choices weren't great today, but there was no snacking and I ate slowly during my mealtimes. *credit*

Realistically, I am aiming to hold my weight to below 280; maintain in other words, lose if I can, but really maintain, and not gain until this move is over. It will be over soon enough, and I'll be in the pool working it all off, and in the studio getting it all out... can't wait can't wait.

Good Night Coaches.

Billblueeyes I read today that Boston is contemplating dumping snow into the harbour a la the boston tea party even though it is bad for the water in the harbour given what's in the snow. Do you guys have that much snow? Can you take a jpg of a snowpile for me, some unusual amount of snow that you don't normally see?? I'd love to see it.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:12 AM   #70  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Super Bowl Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Good progress on de-cluttering, CREDIT moi. I gave up books that I've been looking at for weeks pondering how I would ever let them go: books about computing from the 1980's when personal computers were only for the adventurous; coffee table picture books of the Soviet Union, Australia, and California; science books well written and quite correct at their time but now obsolete. The trick was that DW immediately put them in boxes and I never saw them again. Agony and the Ecstasy it was.

Went for dinner at DW's favorite Thai restaurant as a reward for tossing out stuff where, remembering Beverlyjoy, I had ginger steamed Cod. CREDIT moi for a good choice and for bringing half home for tomorrow's lunch.

onebyone - Kudos for continued de-cluttering. I'm encouraged by yours and the others here getting rid of stuff. But biggest Kudos for your attitude at making the move a positive experience. We love our small community garden here; if you get in, now's the time to order your seeds. [I'll look round to see what big mounds are left after yesterday's rain.]

FutureFitChick - Double Ouch for two colds; do hope you don't next get each others. Velveta is a comfort food for me; it has to stay out of my house. I like your friend's notion of raw foods to boost the immune system, not because I know that it would work, but I like her notion of doing something naturally healthy.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for the different layers to shovel - know about that here. Thanks for the quote from The Way to Eat .

Beverlyjoy - Oatmeal for Disney World sounds good to me. I'll bet they'll have fresh fruit. We're now seeing Florida blueberries even up here.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - 15 bags of stuff gone is worth a celebration both for freeing the mind and for the exercise. This de-cluttering is contagious. Great reminder, "I did find when I planned for the dreaded donut that it became easier to resist."

maryann - Delightful thought that an 8 yo boy will learn to cook as well as chose and prepare a meal. Wish that had happened to me. Kudos for savoring, "Yeah, I was OP yesterday."

ChefJoona - Yep, Kudos for "for taking one bite of an off-plan snack and tossing the rest away" - stellar recovery.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1
Beginning a New Way of Life

Get Ready to Strengthen Your Resistance Muscle
Every single time you say no to unplanned food, you fortify your resistance muscle, which makes it more likely that you will be able to resist the next time ... and the time after that ... and the time after that. Every time you don't feel like practicing a skill but you do it anyway, you strengthen your resistance muscle, which makes it easier and easier to get yourself to practice your skills in the future.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 19.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck-folks/coaches - yesterday was a healthy day. I am always grateful for that. DH and I went to the Mardi Gras party at my mom’s senior apartment. It was so much fun. Before we left I ate some pumpkin with lite margerine, sf syrup, and cinnamon so I would not go hungry. Credit Thinking back to what Dr. Beck says about buffets - I scoped out the spread, decided on my good choices, and did NOT go back for seconds. Credits. They had a chocolate fountain - I dabbed a piece of fresh pineapple in some. I counted it in my daily total. Mission accomplished for a fun healthy evening.

This morning DH complemented me on my good food choices at the party. That was nice.

At my mom’s apartment (55 and older - not assisted living) they have a weekly dance class with Denver, the physical therapist. He came to the party and danced with all the ladies who like to dance. They are widows who just love to get the chance to dance again. It was grand.

Other credits
Plan/log/measured when possible
Lots of water
Exercise - stretches, strengthening, bands, rec. bike
No seconds.
Left a bite
Tasted my food - most of the time
No choice - red light to some things
Said Not fair - oh well

Billbe - yes, gotta love the ginger steamed fish. Major credit for the decluttering - it’s hard to part with things. Laughing at your joy of losing a pound in a few hours - we have all done something like that. The foodie’s mind just works that way. Lol Credit for finding/rescuing that lone orange in the land of junk food.

Patamatga - WELCOME! So glad you posted.

Onebyone - I hope the townhouse works out for you and DH. Credit for throwing out the unhealthy snacks! Major credit for your packing and sorting. Also - looking ahead for a water aerobics place! Carry on.

Futurefitchick - I hope you and DH are feeling better soon. I like the vegan site. Credit for reading your arc/rc when you weren’t feeling good. Yes.. We can count walking in the pharmacy and grocery store for exercise when you don’t feel good! We are flying to Disney via Southwest. It’s a nonstop flight.. Yay.

Lexxiss/Debbie - so glad you could check in. Life sounds like it’s been a bit hectic lately. Credit for making such good choices and really ‘thinking’ about how to make those good choices. So glad your mom called to apolagize.

Gardener/joy - your quote from the Way We Eat book is so right on. Thanks for posting it. Just think - all the shoveling is such good exercise. This being true - enough already of the snow! Also - the thoughts about rebelling against the processed food in making sane healthy choices for yourself (my paraphrasing) were very helpful and meaningful to me. Thanks.

Maryann - I love hearing about your special cooking Saturday with your DS. These are lessons he can take with him for a lifetime. Major happy dance credit for you taking a sandwich to the game and avoiding the ice cream and cookie treat! Hope your cold goes away soon. Thanks for the idea of adding powdered milk or protein to my oatmeal mix I am taking to Disney.

Chefjoona - Sorry you lost your post. I hate when that happens.! You said: Noted appreciation for the honesty, support and nonjudgment on this forum! No matter where any of us are on any given day. This is a place to share struggles and ask for support, as well as share successes! This says it all, friend. I agree wholeheartedly. I think that is what has been so helpful to us all. The honesty is important - as it helps us all go forward in learning to live with food in a healthful manner. Hope you get in your snowshoeing. Daily checking in is so, so helpful.

Seadwaters - I hope your heat lessens soon. I hope you have been safe from the cyclone. The videos on the news have been heartbreaking to see - for some folks. Sorry to hear about the banana’s (and other crops devastated). Banana’s are my favorite. Credit for the willingness to focus on hunger/desire/cravings.

Carols2 - sorry to hear the discussion of fruit tarts with the nutritionist set off a craving for them. You can learn to walk away at some point and more often. This is what I do, when willing.:
One of my favorites is from my response card on dealing with hungers, cravings and desires. I re-write the information from that response card into my journal every day as a reminder:

[I]The Five D's - Distance, Distractions, Drink Water, Deep Breathing, Destroy the food. (I usually cover it with dishwashing liquid)
(ISNIR) - it’s how I remember things.
I - Identify as craving or desire - but, because it is a craving or desire, eating it is NOT an emergency,
S - Stand firm and Strengthen your resistance muscle and strengthen your reserve.
N - No choice - the hardest part of a craving or desire is the anxiety and urgency you feel when you want to eat it - you don't think you can get through it. But you can.
I - Imagine how bad you'll feel after eating it.
R - Remember why you want to do this.

If I am willing to go through these things in my mind as I face food - I can work past the craving/desire.

Rubyjan - glad you went to the WW meeting. Many folks live well with their program. You said: Ate lunch with a friend and ate a slim person's lunch. That is just what doctor Beck says - learn to be around food like a thinner person might eat. Well done.

New/lifestyle - glad you checked in. It really helps. I don’t always have time to do personals, but - I find checking in is a good reminder of what I need to be doing.

Mary contrary - I am sorry to hear of all your stresses and work load. I know it’s so hard to fit it all in. Credit for trying to make a daily plan that could help get it all in. Remember - even in writing - we sometimes just need a break. Maybe you could use that time for healthy eating and some exercise. Exercise revs us up to keep going.

Andrea - credit for starting to do the Beck ‘tasks’. In the first book - she said we can weight daily or weekly. However, in her other books she recommends daily. I too struggle with this concept. I sometimes weight daily now - but, sometimes every other day. As a long time 'weekly weigh' person, I had the mentality of “I can overeat’ on the day I weigh myself. I had to stop that thinking. I find that weighing more often keeps me on my plan more effectively. That being said - It all boils down to willingness for me.

Shepardess - hope you are feeling well (you and the little one). Credits for being so mindful of healthy eating and exercise and planning ahead often.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 02-06-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 186/165/150

Height: 5 9

Oh SuperBowl Sunday... a day devoted to horrible foods (and a football game with advertisements for horrible food abounding... ) . I have picked out a couple healthy and low calorie recipes to make. Even DP's request isn't so bad... well he asked for fried chicken, but was agreeable to shake n' bake drumsticks (a little less evil) as an alternative. I'm planning to allow myself some flexibility today.

I had a just overall great day yesterday. I spent nearly the whole day with my sister (my twin) and my neice (who is just 3 months). There have been times in our recent lives that my sister and I have had a lot of tension... really as our once parallel lives began to go separate ways. But my neice has brought us back together. I feel so fortunate to live less than 10 miles from them. We had a suprise call from a good friend of ours from college (my sister and I attended undergrad together) who was in town for the day. We enjoyed a nice visit with her and her DH at a sushi restaurant. My sis and I shared a small snack to stay on plan. I ended the day out with a run to the grocery store to stock up on supplies for my snacks today. It was snowing when I came out of the store, so DP and I snuggled in for dinner and a movie in our condo. I made a delicious greek style salad with my new favorite super food- Quinoa.

Waiting to hear from my sister about snow shoeing today.

I weighed-in a few minutes ago and was suprised by a drop of two pounds since my weigh-in on Thursday. I feel confused by this- it seems too fast. I haven't eaten breakfast yet- perhaps that's why. My body does not feel like its lost 2 lbs in the last 3 days. I think I am still learning a lot about my body and weight loss.

onebyone I was really enlived by your post! What a relief it must be to have your future living situation coming together. CREDIT for all the hard work organizing and donating that you did!!!

Beverlyjoy I really like your 5 D's and ISNIR. I think I'll make a similar card for myself.

I think I'll start my evening check-ins tomorrow.

Happy Sunday Beckies!!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #73  
Green Tomatoes

Finally a new low, the first in more than a month. Apparently, shoveling snow is good for me. I know it made me more hungry and I had to declare hunger as a non-emergency more often yesterday than usual!

I sometimes watch the Super Bowl for the commercials, but I realized, like ChefJoona, that there will be a lot of commercials for things I don't want to eat so I think I'll skip it entirely this year. We talked about going to a movie in the theater (we're trying to see most of the Academy Award nominees), but I think we're going to stay home and see if we can get the driveway cleared to pavement.

WI: -0.9kg (new low), Exercise: +105* 300/1300 minutes for February, Food: 95%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 02-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Coaches/Buddies, I’m beginning to feel human again, as is my husband, though he’s still a little behind me. Time to get back on track with my food now, as I haven’t been tracking or planning the last few days. Any planning I had done already was tossed out due to lack of energy to leave bed.

Today’s Essentials:
Weigh-in: no change
Read Advantage Cards two times: no
Read Response Cards at least two times: no
Ate slowly, sitting down, noticing every bite: yes
Gave myself credit when I engaged in helpful eating behaviors: yes
Did spontaneous exercise: a little cleaning to get rid of germs
Did planned exercise: none planned
Wrote out food plan for tomorrow: not yet
Tracked today’s food: not yet
Left food on my plate: no
Ate only to normal fullness: yes
Identified and responded to a self-deluding thought: yes

BeverlyJoy, just curious, how did you count the chocolate from the fountain? I wasn’t able to find a close match when I had that. I love the idea of dance PT. That is fantastic. I have a great aunt that lives at The Gardens @ St. Elizabeth. I wonder if she gets such a fantastic offering. Extra credit to DH for noticing your healthy food choices. Sounds like Southwest has good service, as they have direct flights Indianapolis too.

BillBlueEyes, mmm… Ginger steamed cod sounds incredible. I’ll have to look for that on Thai menus around here. The closest I’ve found is a poached fish in a special Thai tagine type pot. I was a little nervous eating it, and I’m not sure why. Great job decluttering books too.

ChefJoona, your day yesterday sounds terrific. It would be wonderful to be that close to my brothers! Quinoa is delicious. Are you using Superfoods Rx as well? I do, which is why I am asking. (I thought you were on WW.)

Onebyone, great job on your successful tossing of junk food.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone:

Warning- bummer of a post. Skip if you don't want to go there.

As you can probably guess, my absence here since last Monday means I am not doing well. I have a lot of excuses. But my life is going to provide excuses forever. The challenges are not going anywhere. I can modify them, but I can not remove them. It all comes down to choice. Am I going to give up- eat what I want-which is fat and sugar, when I want- which is whenever the stress gears up? And not bother with any weighing, measuring, planning, recording, reading, planning, struggling, planning, counting...

Problem is when I give up-- with giving up comes depression, anxiety, worrying, feeling guilty, thinking the heart attack/stroke/cancer/diabetes is right around the corner, and all-around lousy self esteem.

I stay on plan, I fall off. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. When I stay on I lose but gain it all back the next week when I fall off. So I am yo-yoing up and down and in the end I am the same weight. Except today I got on the scale and I am within 5 pounds of where I started in Oct 2009.

I know what I have to do- I am just having a crisis of faith that I can actually do it for any length of time. Feel like I am going to eventually get some horrible diagnosis and then I will be wondering why I chose eating over living. I don't mean to be dramatic but there it is. I am 49 years old. I don't fool myself in thinking I have forever to deal with this. I have been in CB therapy- I know this eating is about self-comfort- I know why-I have made huge changes in the way I think about and approach life and the weight is my last hurdle. How come I can't get through it, around it or over it?

Thanks for listening. I did some things this morning like read my advantage cards, read a few chapters of Beck, weighed in, and ate a healthy breakfast. But I don't feel like CREDIT- I just feel like so what?

I cannot help but feel this is over-sharing in a major way but I know many of you understand and thank you for being there as the only people I would ever lay this all out to.

Closed Thread