Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 06:41 AM   #241  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

HealthDay

By Robert Preidt

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

TUESDAY, Aug. 14 (HealthDay News) -- When it comes to exercise, a little may go a long way.

A new study finds that even low amounts of weekly physical activity can reduce blood pressure and improve overall fitness in adults, a new study finds.

The 12-week study, published in the current issue of the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, included 106 healthy, but sedentary, people ages 40 to 60.

Researchers at Queen's University in Belfast, Ireland, had 44 of the participants do 30 minutes of brisk walking five days a week, while 42 others did 30 minutes of brisk walking three days a week. The rest of the participants maintained their normal lifestyle.

By the end of the study, there was a significant reduction in systolic blood pressure and waist and hip girth in both groups of walkers, along with an increase in overall fitness. The non-walkers had no changes in any of these areas.

The authors noted that even slimming a few centimeters off hip and waist circumference and gaining a slight reduction in blood pressure is enough to reduce the risk of dying from cardiovascular disease.

Currently, it's recommended that adults get at least 30 minutes of moderately strenuous exercise at least five days a week. But many people find it difficult to meet that goal. This study shows that people can still gain health benefits even if they can only manage three sessions of moderate intensity exercise a week, the authors said.

HealthDay

Copyright (c) 2007 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:21 AM   #242  

Default Thursday - August 16

Good Morning Everyone,

Hi Linda (Meowee), you wrote that you taught for years - did you teach actuarial science? I taught English as a Second Language & Basic Skills to adults. Then, I taught various education and administration courses to undergraduate and graduate students who wanted to become teachers or educational administrators. Now, I teach ed research online to teachers who are pursuing graduate degrees for the Univ of Phoenix.

Hi Phyllis, I gave up drinking & smoking around 15 years ago. They were a lot easier to quit than bad eating habits. I'm so happy to hear about your kidney doctor's report. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Hi Theresa, I LOVE the photo of darling Jessie & her daddy. I can't imagine how difficult it will be for her to build up the muscles in her legs to walk. Does she go to Physical Therapy? Are there exercises she needs to do to strengthen her legs? I'll go searching for Zoe's Spa. Can't miss that!

Hi Gary, what does your wife teach?

Attached are some photos of Wildwood - dd & sil playing some kind of "shoot the rubber balls at a tank that's shooting rubber balls at you" game, and one of dd & me getting on the "watch the tram car please" tram that travels the boardwalk.
All the walking and biking saved me - I actually lost a pound on this trip. Maybe I'll get to my August goal of 160 by the end of the month.

Today, my friends and I are headed for scrapbooking. Looks kind of gray and dreary outside.

Hope we all have a Happy and Healthy day,

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 04-07-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:47 AM   #243  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post
Good Morning Everyone,

""Hi Theresa, I LOVE the photo of darling Jessie & her daddy. I can't imagine how difficult it will be for her to build up the muscles in her legs to walk. Does she go to Physical Therapy? Are there exercises she needs to do to strengthen her legs? I'll go searching for Zoe's Spa. Can't miss that!""
Hi Lynn,
Yes Jessie gets Physical Therapy... She gets 2 hrs a week at the one, and about that much in the other town. Mommy and Daddy work with her alot too.

""Attached are some photos of Wildwood - dd & sil playing some kind of "shoot the rubber balls at a tank that's shooting rubber balls at you" game, and one of dd & me getting on the "watch the tram car please" tram that travels the boardwalk.
All the walking and biking saved me - I actually lost a pound on this trip. Maybe I'll get to my August goal of 160 by the end of the month.""
See, Thats why I need to get back to Curves I am asking again today... When I can go back. Can't wait.
Congrats on loosing one pound while on vacation.

Today, my friends and I are headed for scrapbooking. Looks kind of gray and dreary outside.

Hope we all have a Happy and Healthy day,

Lynn
See you at the spa, Can't wait to see the robes.

here is Jessie on her 2nd birthday 2 weeks ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0988.jpg (23.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0961.jpg (24.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by littlered; 08-16-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:22 AM   #244  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5 2

Good morning everyone!
Thank you for the concern and advice. To answer some of your questions, DH is power of attorney again. I say again because 4 years ago she was mad at us for not buckling under to her demands. She was lying to us all the time, she even marched into Bruce's office and said, "I'm going to ruin your career"! Not that she could but that cut Bruce to the deep. She then made her pastor Power of Attorney. After 3 years of silence from us, she finally came around and our relationship has been good for about a year. She paid about $500.00 to put Bruce back to Power of attorney. Now it's starting all over again with her demands and lies. She's 87 years old and just doesn't learn. She will die a very lonely old woman. The doc said she did have early stages of dementia but her biggest problem is her ego. Bruce and I were taken out of the will 4 years ago and we're o.k. with that. What ticks us off is that MIL only granddaughter could use the money more than the church can. Also the college education for her only two great grand sons. Our daughter is a single parent that gets NO support from the boys dad, he hides in Mexico and doesn't work much. Everytime the law catches up with him, he quits his job and moves on. So the money that's going to the chruch should be used in MIL own back yard. Her first priority should be her family, but she's trying to buy her way into heaven. O.K. Now I done preaching, Thanks everyone! Forgot to mention that she's already given over $10,000 to the church and she doesn't have that much money. After the sale of her house she might have $70,000 tops and the nursing home will go thru that real fast.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 08-16-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:24 AM   #245  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi there . . .

Afraid I'm running a little late again today. Spent too long over coffee with my neighbour, I guess. The humidity is down; the temperature is very comfortable; and the sun is shining -- all in all a very nice day. Certainly hope it continues. Other than that, nothing too exciting on my agenda.

Hopefully the kittens will be coming home today -- of course, I may have to mortgage the house to pay the Vet bill -- but, all this peace and quiet is driving me absolutely

BTW . . . I taught remedial English and remedial Mathematics for all those kids (pardon me - all those young adults) that had made it through the high-school system without the basic skills to handle University level work. Unfortunately, there were (and still are) far too many of them. Strange way to use a degree in Actuarial Science, I guess, but I enjoyed it. Overall, I spent more of my working career in the 'lay' world than in the 'academic' world.

Anyway . . . I'd better get some other stuff done. Have a wonderful day everybody. Hope all your plans come together in the best way possible . . . See you soon . . .
Old 08-16-2007, 10:43 AM   #246  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Bobbi, some of us really do understand where you're coming from, and please know that we're in your corner. I'm certainly hoping for a good outcome.

I had my dr's appt, and sure enough, have a nasty bronchial infection, for which I am now in possession of antibiotics, inhalers, and what-have-you. The GOOD news, though, is that they did a chest X-ray, and despite 30 years as a smoker, my lungs are only MINIMALLY scarred, and are in really good condition (except for a raging brochial infection. Go figure. ) Also, my bood is WELL oxygenated, and the Dr. feels that it's because of my increased exercise. I didn't tell him I haven't been on my bike in nearly two weeks! ) So, it looks like I'll be around a while longer.

Spa? What Spa? <looking around> I don't see no spa....

I'm at work. Don't ask. I KNOW I should've stayed home another day...

I haven't weighed myself. I know you'll find that extremely shocking...

BBL,

Z
Old 08-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #247  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Morning all you GOLDEN GIRLS not much to report (so far). Still lovely weather here so I still enjoy my walk in the morning. Although I was dismayed to find out that my classes here on campus are cancelled for the next two weeks -- something about term start up and people having to do their jobs -- the nerve!!!! Well I will do what I can to amuse myself and get some exercise. All this spa talk reminds me I need to make an appointment for a pedicure -- NOW!!!!!

Bobbie -- hang in there -- as I said I know how crappy this is for you and your husband. But you are better than her and remember that. Remember that scene in Its a Wonderful Life when Jimmy Stewart says to Lionel Barrymore something about him sitting in his chair spinning his evil threads -- that is how we felt about our grandmother -- and how sad for us to feel that way about another human.

Lynn -- great information -- glad you had a great trip and the pics are nice to see.

Zoe -- so glad you got good news -- now take those meds and get better soon!!!

Big hi's to Theresa, Linda, Karen, Phyllis, Cat and everyone I might have missed

Thought for the day: No one is in control of your happiness but you; therefore, you have the power to change anything about yourself or your life that you want to change
Old 08-16-2007, 03:33 PM   #248  
Lifetime Loser

Zoe, glad to hear the good news from your doctor. Why are you at work?????
Take care of yourself.

Joanne, I am so looking forward to getting some of your weather down here in Florida.....now the hurricanes are picking up as Aug. & Sept. are the main months for them.....the news drives us crazy now with reports every half hour.

Theresa, your gdd is beautiful, hopefully she will get walking by Christmas how wonderful that would be.

Karen the housing market is the pits here, we will list our condo in a couple weeks with a realtor but not holding out too much hope.....but it just takes that one person right! Cleaning out my kitchen and getting rid of a lot of STUFF today.

Bobbi, hang in there my dear. Coming here to vent is OK, we are all good listeners. Keeping you in my prayers.

Linda, hope the kittens are OK and aren't too mad at you! How about sending some of that cooler weather our way.

Hi to everyone I missed........Phyllis
Old 08-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #249  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

OMG . . . kittens have been home an hour and Frick (the dumb blonde) has pee'd on the couch again, which is something she hadn't done in the last couple of weeks. Hopefully she is just mad at me, because I do not know what to try next. Frack and Freckle seem okay so far. Freckle even decided he'd cuddle for a minute or two.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #250  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

Days off ~ yippee!!!! Finally getting a chance to catch up here. Got to visit with my daughters via phone. Got to go visit my son and check out the apartment he recently moved into and visit him a little. Have been invited to a baby shower for my daughter next weekend, so have to go get something for the baby. They finally decided on a name for the baby ~ she will be called Madison Elle McKay. Tomorrow Corbin will come stay the day with me. We have a good time ~ playing games and talking and stuff. Trying not to think of Saturday (back to work ~ would like to pretend that's not happening ~ LOL).

I didn't do my homework to be able to do the personals this time. You all would probably get a laugh out of what I had to do to remember it all. I think Zoe mentioned in one of her posts ~ something about a mind like a sieve (sp?) that's me. I had to make little note cards for each one of you to keep the stuff straight

More next time ~ take care
Old 08-16-2007, 07:32 PM   #251  
Moxiesd

S/C/G: 235/175/155

Hello Golden Girls....

So nice to be back (for me.....maybe you'd rather not hear!!!)

Anyway, it has been a tuff Aug....and somehow I knew it would be. I started out pretty good....but this past 2 weeks have blown me out of the water. I try not to get down on myself....tell myself that this is a learning experience and do the best you can and keep on keeping on. I guess this time I have learned that I cannot deal with stress....and life is about stress. So the next thing I think I will try is the camomile (sp?) tea, it is supposed to be calming. Of course...when August gets through with, most of the stress will be gone. I am counting on that....and praying for a better September!!!

I took my baby kitty to the vet today. They have decided that she will have to take her shots in series as it nearly kills her when they give all the shots to her at once. She seems to have forgiven me for the trip to the vets, and is in much better shape than when she was there 2 weeks ago. I am planning on taking her on a trip this weekend........originally I thought that a cat was one animal that you could leave at home for a few days and get by with it................................................ BUT............................this kitten thinks she is my baby and is just beside herself when I leave for an overnight. The last time she stood on her two back feet with her front feet up and was all but crying when I walked in the door. So, this weekend I will try taking her with me......probably I will live to regret this also!

I will be leaving tomorrow morning, and will get back for about 1 day, and then head in the opposit direction for another week. Then home again for a day before company arrives and we all take off for another weekend. (I hope this cat decides she either likes traveling with me, or definately would rather I just did my own thing without her!!!!) Anyway that will be the end of August, and hopefully I can get back on program and continue with better habits. (I'll gladly take all the will power dust anyone can shovel this way!!)

Hello to everyone in the group....and s to all. So glad you're here!! Who else would understand the frustration of a bad month!!

I may not get to post until Sept....but wanted to let you know that I'm still around...........needing all the help I can get!!
Margaret
Old 08-16-2007, 08:40 PM   #252  

S/C/G: 148/146/124(edited goal)

Height: 4' 11"

Hello Golden Girls! I finally got an evening alone with the computer. DH is golfing and going out for dinner afterwards, so I can spend a little time catching up. Lynn - you are always a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for all of the web links and tidbits. Looks like you had a great time on your latest jaunt.
Theresa - that little girl is so precious and always smiling. She must bring such joy to everyone in her life. Hope she gets stronger every day.
Margaret - hello neighbor, don't let one month discourage you from keeping up the fight. I felt the same way in March and April and actually gained back what I had lost before I decided I had to take control again. Hang in there things will get better.
Zoe - take care of yourself! You must be dedicated or (like many of us) there is no one to do your work when you take time off. Don't you just feel when you're sick that you'll never be well again? Makes us appreciate our health even more when we are finally back to normal (whatever that is) again.
Meowee - kittens are so precious, you must just sit and shake your head some days at their antics. HD is so allergic to cats and most dogs that we can only have non-shedding things in our home.
Phyllis - good luck on selling your home. Now that summer is nearing an end and people are starting to think about warmer climates, you may have a better chance of selling.
Karen - good luck to you too. Any more activity??
Bobbi - I may be reading between the lines, but the history here sounds like this is more than old age with your MIL. Could it be a way of controlling people? If so, as someone (Joanne I think) eluded to in a quote "you are in control of your own feelings". Others can make it pretty da_ _ hard to keep in control sometimes, but don't let them win.
Gary - congrats on your weight loss! You may have to post a new picture soon.
Cat - you must have found your calling cause you'd have to be a saint to deal with that many 5-year-olds.
Paula - Good news about your dad. Hope things continue to improve for him.

Hello to everyone else, LindaD, Gayle, Heidi, Lyn, Joanne. I know I missed quite a few but know that you are wished well.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:30 PM   #253  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Hi Gals ~ gotta be quick tonight...ballgame on!

Did my 3.25 on the treadmill after work. Angie, nephew and I had burgers outside...it was so nice and cool after a warm day here.

LYNN ~My wife is starrting her 23rd year of teaching. She teaches 6th grade. My son and daughter in law are starting their 3rd years of teaching, they teach high school history and government...my son to seniors and juniors, my daughter in law to freshmen and juniors. My daughter "teaches" NAVY S.E.A.L.S. about their muscles! Nice pictures!

LILY ~Thanks for the kudos on my weight loss! I'll post a new picture if I get 10 down! .....wink

Later dears ~ My prayers are with you all!
Old 08-17-2007, 06:39 AM   #254  

Good Morning Everyone,

I actually have a day at home today with nothing planned! Maybe I can get my house straightened up, my bills paid, and my bags unpacked!

Hi Theresa, here's hoping you and Jessie will be able to go to Curves together in a few years!

Hi Bobbi, if DH is PA, can't he sell everything before she can get to it? If she's going to be so hateful, might as well give her something to be hateful about.

Hi Linda (Meowee), glad your kitties are home again. Time to change your profile - still shows your weight at 240.

Hi Zoe, so sorry about your bronchial infection. I LOVE the picture down by your ticker. Where did you find that?

Hi Joanne, I'm glad you're having beautiful weather. Ours has been hot and muggy. We need rain REALLY badly - all our green is turning brown.

Hi Phyllis, have you tried Craigslist.com for selling your condo? Give it a try - can't hurt.

Hi Gayle, have you tried Notepad? I pull up Notepad when I start reading the posts. Then, as I read, I post my messages to each person. When I'm done, I copy and paste into 3FC. Besides eliminating need to remember, it also saves your messages for those times that 3FC freezes.

Hi Margaret, travelling is tough on the diet. My only advice is to try to get in as much exercise as possible. My daughter's cat is like yours. When my dd is away, her cat cries for her in the middle of the night.

Hi Lily, I get the info from my Diet Power website. Every week they post a link to an article about health/nutrition. When they seem interesting, I post the info here.

Hi Gary, wow! You're surrounded by teachers. My dd just got recruited to teach for Univ of Phoenix. They're beginning an online program in Hospitality - she's got an MBA and 12 years of experience running a B&B. I hope she does it & likes it.

As many of us (especially me) seem to be suffering from a lack of patience, I've decided to post a quote about patience each day. Today's is -
"He that can have patience can have what he will."
Benjamin Franklin

OK, I guess it's time to get off the computer & get to work on creating order out of chaos in my condo.

Lynn
Old 08-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #255  
Lifetime Loser

Margaret, Sorry your so stressed and little kitty adds to it I know. I hope she likes going with you and look forward to your return in Sept.

Lynn, we thought about Craiglist, might put it on there for a couple weeks. I am still clean out kitchen have it about done, doing the spices today and the junk drawer then on to the pantry. All this needed badly done anyway so if the place doesn't sell, it will be all tidy! You staying home for awhile?

Hi Lily, good to see you again, my dh and I almost fight over computer time. I finally claimed an hour in the a.m. to check on my mail and groups....seems to work well that way.

Gary, how much weight do you want to lose? Are you just trying to tone up now and get in shape for more races? You don't look very much overweight.

Gayle, I love the name your daughter has picked out for the baby....lovely. And also I am jealous that your spending the day with your grandson.....maybe someday I can say the same.

Well, I did get on the scales (sorry Zoe & Joanne) down 1/2 lb. for Aug.! Hey it beats 4 oz. Zoe so don't laugh . But it puts me at the lowest I have been in several years so I am getting excited and more encouraged to keep walking and eating healthy.

Phyllis

Last edited by floridarusty; 08-17-2007 at 07:07 PM.
Closed Thread