Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #151  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

Wow, I sure wish they bloomed all summer, not just one at a time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0605.jpg (33.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0611B.jpg (48.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 000_04561.jpg (38.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #152  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning!

YAY! I was able to move my ticker today!!! Finally down 2 pounds!! I was beginning to think I was going to be stuck at 160 forever!!

Theresa your flowers are beautiful!! I'm still trying to convince the deer around here that my geraniums are not good to eat!! They keep them nicely pruned for me!!! I guess it would be kind of tough to put Bear in a Sunggli!! Ginger, my red one weighs about 8 pounds and Sissy, the sable on weighs just about 6 pounds!! So together they don't make the weight of Bear!

Margaret, I'm really working hard with the Slimfast now too. I usually have a chocolate shake for breakfast and then for lunch I've been trying to do a french vanilla shake with a cup of strawberries in it! I just put it in the blender and it taste like a strawberry shake! I had Tim try a sip yesterday and he asked if I mixed strawberries with frozen yogurt!! That coming from a guy who doesn't like slimfast!! Of course at 150 pounds he doesn't need it!!

Phyllis, I don't know if you would want to try it but I put our house and 5th wheel on craigslist and have had quite a few calls just from doing that. And you can even add pictures to your ad.

Gary, Glad to hear from you again! How is it going on the treadmill? Is Angie still have to stand over you to make you do your miles!! I have this mental picture that is just too funny!!!

Well, I need to go and get stuff done around here this morning, We have a couple people coming to look at the 5th wheel and hopefully one to come to see the house..

Have a Good Day everyone and I'll check back later.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #153  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I started the Golden Girls, had lots of help in deciding the name. We all put in names and voted on the "Golden Girls" since we're all from that era. I haven't checked in very often because I've made my weight goal. (not any more, gain 6-7 pound thru stress)I apoligize for that but still get e-mails on everyone that has posted. Gary, maybe you need to start your own group under the "Golden Boys". I bet you would get lots of hits, because the 3FC's is not just for girls.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #154  

Hi Everbody!! I just got this and I scored 25!! That makes me Older Than Dirt!! Thought that we could all use a laugh!!

You should ALL get a good laugh out of this one!!

Unfortunately I remember all the things in this message so I must be older than dirt. lol

Older ' n Dirt

"Hey Dad," one of my kids asked the other day, "What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?"

"We didn't have fast food when I was growing up," I informed him. "All the food was slow."

"C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?"

"It was a place called 'at home,'" I explained. "Grandma cooked every day and when Grandpa got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it."

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table. But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis , set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears AND Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11, but my grandparents had one before that. It was, of course, black and white, but they bought a piece of colored plastic to cover the screen. The top third was blue, like the sky, and the bottom third was green, like grass. The middle third was red. It was perfect for programs that had scenes of fire trucks riding across someone's lawn on a sunny day. Some people had a lens taped to the front of the TV to make the picture look larger.

I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called "pizza pie." When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a car until I was 15. Before that, the only car in our family was my grandfather's Ford. He called it a "machine."

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers. I delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which I got to keep 2 cents. I had to get up at 4 AM every morning.. On Saturday, I had to collect the 42 cents from my customers. My favorite customers were the ones who gave me 50 cents and told me to keep the change. My least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. Touching someone else's tongue with yours was called French kissing and they didn't do that in movies. I don't know what they did in French movies. French movies were dirty and we weren't allowed to see them.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren.. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend:

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to "sprinkle" clothes with water because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
Real ice boxes.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using ! hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about Ratings at the bottom.
1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933)
12. Pea shooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S&H Green Stamps
16 Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are the best part of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!
Especially to all your really OLD friends....

"Senility Prayer"...God grant me...
The senility to forget the people I never liked
The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
And the eyesight to tell the difference."
Have a great week!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 12:08 PM   #155  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Well, as most of you well know, I am Post-post menopausal and therefore no longer subject to the ravages of hot flashes or unfounded (but oh, so delicious!) crabbiness at inopportune times, but yesterday, I could’ve sworn I’d returned to an (un)happier time when the blast furnace was my semi-permanent residence. Dunno WHAT it was, but driving home from work with the sun just BLAZING through the windshield on me, and the AC off, I had goose-bumps and kept feeling chilled. Got home feeling like a limp rag, fell through the door into DH’s arms, and he said, “Oooooh! You’re so hot!” He unclasped the necklace I was wearing, and said….”Omigosh! Feel how HOT this is!” And yeah, it was REALLY HOT. So, we took my temp and it was 103, which made me immediately feel even worse than I already felt. No appetite. Omigawd. Since WHEN did THIS healthy eater have no appetite??? I mean, I’m definitely an all-occasion eater. Feeling sad? Eat! Feeling happy? Eat! Feeling sick? Eat! (You need to keep up your strength!) Feeling full? Eat! (It’ll push whatever’s making you feel so full right along and you’ll feel EVER so much better!) So for me to actually not want ANY food is abnormal in and of itself. So, I took four Ibuprophen & a glass of Arizona diet green tea and went in and laid myself down in the spare bedroom. Got up this morning after this long, hibernation-like sleep filled with strange foggy dreams and imaginings, and seem to be okay – except for some sneezing and some soreness in my throat. Nothing that you could outright say “My throat is sore”…it’s just on the EDGE of being sore, if you know what I mean. So, I’m at work this morning feeling befogged to some degree, but with deadlines on several articles that HAVE to get out today, or I would’ve stayed home & pampered myself. In my NEXT life, I want to be CAT, working out of my house.
Theresa dear, how GREAT to have you back with us, and congrats on the continuing losses! (I’m still avoiding the scale). And you betcha there’s a robe for you, girl! I LOVE having friends in my fantasies!
Good luck, Phyllis, on selling your place when you’d like it to sell….hopefully, things will just fall into place when you least expect them to. And Karen, good luck on the sale of YOUR house, too. (I can’t wait to be in the position of needing to sell so we can move away from this overpriced non-paradise of ours).
But Cat, remember…..we’re paying that personal trainer of ours to exercise FOR us…we’re ALL going to look slim & willowy in those big, plush white robes!!! We’re never again going to have to DRESS to accentuate our good features, because it’ll ALL be good, eh? (That’s how fantasies work).
Glad you’re back, Lynn…I missed you. Don’t blame you a bit for not trekking into DC in that heat. It’s a CITY, for goodness’ sake! Who wants to be in a CITY when it’s that hot? It’s so humid there, too. The last time I was there in summer, I saw people walking around with towels around their necks – to absorb all the perspiration, I guess? Not MY idea of a relaxing vacay, for sure! Good luck at the dr’s!!!!
Hmmmm, Moxie, J.K. Rowling I’m not, but YOU have quite the imagination yourself! Wanna collaborate????
Oh, Lyn….I haven’t been on my bike in 3 days, and prolly won’t be on it again today as it’s currently raining, and rain is predicted well into evening. Honestly? I just haven’t felt up to it. I really think I have some kind of low-grade something-or-other going on, here. The only saving grace is that while I haven’t felt much like exercising, neither have I felt much like eating, either, so I’m probably light on calories, which could help scale-wise if I ever get around to weighing myself.
Welcome, Mom!
As always, Jo-annie, you’re amazing, and yep, tribemembers we clearly are!
And a great big hello-hug to all the rest of my Golden GirlsLily, Bobbi , Paula, Marylynn, Gayle, Meowee-Linda, LindaD, Trish, Peg, Deb, and EZ of course.

Tah,

Z
Old 08-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #156  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi everybody . . .

Another day has gotten away from me. Actually this has been the most beautiful weather we've had all summer so far. Our really funny stormy day yesterday washed and blew away all the nastiness of the past couple of weeks and left an absolutely gorgeous day -- and, if the weather man is right -- the good stuff is supposed to continue at least through the weekend. Sooooo, the day didn't actually sneak by me, I just did not spend very much of it around the house. Don't feel the slightest bit guilty about not being here either.

I got an "older than dirt" score of 24 on your little quiz, Karen. I've never heard of that chewing gum (probably only available in the US). The rest . . . oh my goodness, what memories. Thanks so much for sharing that.

Afraid I do not have time to respond to everybody individually (as usual) . . . but I do want to welcome you to the group MOM247 and as well. I'm originally from Ontario but now in Nova Scotia. As well as becoming a regular here, I hope you'll find your way over to our "Crazy Canuks Cluck Club" once in a while, too.

Anyway, I'd better go visit a few more 3FC places. Hope everybody has a great evening and that'll I'll see you all again tomorrow.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #157  

Hello Everybody,
I thought that I would jump back on here and see how everyone is doing. We decided to grill some hamburgers outside tonight and wouldn't you know as soon as we started the grill it started to rain!! But Tim just pulled the grill inside the garage a little ways and still grilled them. I just wrapped mine in a whole wheat tortilla and had a salad. And believe it or not-- I'm really full!!

Linda-- Glad you liked the "Older Than Dirt" I thought it was kind of cute and it is scary how much you remember!! When I started thinking about all those things I could remember things from way back!! My older brother had a paper route when we were growing up and I can remember goign with him to collect and he would "Let" me rig the doorbells! And one time I went up ahead of him and rang the doorbell and there was a note to NOT ring the doorbell because he was a day sleeper--- I couldn't read yet so I didn't know and when he came to the door he was so mad--- scared me really bad!! Funny the things that you can remember that you hadn't thought of in years.

Where is everyone tonight??? I hope everyone is doing good and hope to hear from everyone soon.

Have a good night.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #158  

S/C/G: 237/238/165

Height: 5 feet 7

Wink Hi!!!!

Hi everyone. Had a problem with the internet yesterday and couldn't log on

Columbus is currently experiencing a cold snap!!! It's only 87F today! We haven't had a day under 90 since August arrived.

I had the nicest surprise on Thursday. As you know I fell off of the WW program last week. I still lost 0.8.

So far I'm on program!! I spent today finally getting my kitchen rehab in gear. That's good for some points in exercise!!! Anyway, I'll finish sanding and probably get a coat of primer on the walls tomorrow afternoon. The next time I'm hiring someone!!! I'm doing this to prove to myself that I can! Plus I need to watch something else on television---the family says that I'm watching too much HGTV! 'Cause I have PLANS! If only the DH was available to help. He hurt his back 8 weeks ago and is still relatively down. :frown:

I've got family here visiting.

Karen I scored a 25---I'm older than dirt!!! Now, I have the test to prove it!!!!

Lynn and Theresa It's good to have you back.

Phyliss If only I could join you and Zoe in the "LOOSE PANTS CLUB". I'm still struggling to button mine---but I must admit the struggle is a little easier

to Mom

Karen Hang in there!! I've been in jobs where I was undervalued. It's not fun and awefully stressful. I'm sending you some GOOD VIBES

To everyone else that I failed to mention, HELLO!! I hope you all have a nice weekend.

Last edited by Piano51; 08-10-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:48 PM   #159  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Hi Theresa, I'm so sorry to hear that your back is still hurting. A BIG CONGRATULATIONS on 155.8!!!!
Enjoy it while it lasts. I LOVE your flower photos (but not as much as I love to see your beautiful face).

Hi Karen, And a BIG CONGRATULATIONS to you too! You are my new hero - below 160! My goal is to get to 160 by the end of August. Hopefully, I'll be following in your "scale-steps" some time in September.
BTW - I am DEFINITELY Older than Dirt - I remember all of them! I've got one for you - do you remember when comic books provided a way for you to "win" a pony by selling some kind of salve? Guess who sent away for the salve & didn't win the pony? I didn't even know what "salve" was - I thought it was some kind of shoe polish!

Hi Zoe, Wow 103! That's really high (too bad you couldn't have it as a scale number instead of a thermometer number).
Have you tried Cold-Eeze (SP?). I used it along with Vitamin C when I was in ME & had caught my Little Sister's cold. It worked pretty well.

Hi Linda (Meowee), my dd & sil are REALLY interested in buying a retirement home in Nova Scotia. Any advice for where to look?

Hi Gary, glad you're still with us. We can use a little diversity.

OK - the doctor story. When I found out I had diabetes, I went online & found best endocrinologist in the Philadelphia area. I called in May and first appt. I could get with him was in September. I get called yesterday & his nurse tells me Sept appt. is cancelled, I need to come in today. I drive 40 miles (one way) to get to this doctor's office. I get in his office & in walks another doctor - a woman.
She asks why I'm driving all the way to their office & I told her it was bc I wanted to see the other doctor! As it turned out, I really liked her a lot - good thing for them. She's changing my meds - says it's not realistic to have to stay on a 1,000 calorie diet with a maximum of 60 g of Carbs/day. She says with the new meds, I should be able to at least have a piece of fruit once in a while.

After the doctor's visit, I called my scrapbooking friend in South Jersey & we went to see Becoming Jane. What a BEAUTIFUL movie. Of course, now I have to go and get some Jane Austen books.

Glad to be back home in my own (sleep number) bed. I'll probably not stay down in Wildwood more than 1 night bc my bed there will be one of those pull-out couches with the metal bar across your back. [Gary, you probably wouldn't like it - I think it's what people now call a "chick-flick."]

Check with you tomorrow morning AFTER I go to the gym - I can't wait to get back there. I haven't exercise since last Saturday.

Have a nice evening,

Lynn
Old 08-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #160  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Default Sneaking in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano51 View Post
I had the nicest surprise on Thursday. As you know I fell off of the WW program last week. I still lost 0.8.

Hi Trish,

You snuck in there on me. I think that have a day here and there (not too many heres and theres) where you eat more calories than usual can actually jog you away from a plateau. It has happened to me several times.

I know that if you follow the WW plan, there is a strategy that they talk about where you periodically eat quite a few more points on a couple of days and then fewer points on others.

At any rate, a BIG CONGRATULATIONS on another loss!

Lynn
Old 08-10-2007, 10:29 PM   #161  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/140

Height: 5-10

Happy Friday to Everyone!

Karen - I love your posts, they're so entertaining! Just so you know, I scored a 23 and am either older than dirt or older than Moses, think I went to third grade with him. So very sorry to hear that the guy couldnt get the loan. SOMEONE can and they will! We'll just keep hoping, it is a good sign that people are looking at the house. Congratulations on the two pounds! They add up!

Zoe! Thank you for the old fat analogy, its so true! You mentioned Copley Square and that brought back memories. My husband used to work in the Hancock bldg & in my commute I'd try to get some walking in by walking from South to North station to finish the ride home. Sometimes I'd drop by Copley Square to meet husband & fend off the homeless while we shopped in the open air market, other times we'd detour through the Commons. Boston is a lot of things but I can vouch that it's top knotch for walking (since I refused to drive there, it worked for me!) I hope you get to feeling better soon, take care of yourself.

Eleanor where are you? I'm worried about you.

Welcome Mom! These people are wonderful! Would love to get to know you better. Believe me the big M has been a big pain but I have to have faith that I can overcome the aftereffects of this thing. (refused HRT due to family hx of cancer)

Down two pounds. So nice to know that all of that sweat actually budged something.

Uh oh.... they're starting family night without me! (husband is the blackjack dealer & adult kids & parents gather with diet soda & watermelon & break down our weeks for a couple of hours) Hope everyone has a terrific weekend!

Take care!

Marylynn
Old 08-10-2007, 10:36 PM   #162  

Hi Trish,
I know I went for quite awhile after we got back from vacation in June just trying to get back on track. And I know there were days that I just ate because I just felt like eating-- not because I was hungry. So don't feel bad about going off plan for a little while, we all do it. But be Happy that you still showed a loss--- I went from the first week in June until now without showing any loss! So give yourself a pat on the back and keep moving.

Lynn, Glad to hear after driving all that way that you liked the Dr. Maybe with the change in meds things will really start looking bighter for you. Thanks for the congrats on the weight loss! I just need to stay motivated now and keep it up.
That is a funny story about the comic books!! I don't remember that. But my girlfriend and I when we were about 8 or 9 would write letters into the Western Horseman magazine and tell them we had about $40 between us and we would like to buy one of the "ugly" horses that they had--- Funny they were Appaloosas!!! We never did get a reply from them either!!

Enjoy the rest of your evening and I'll check in tomorrow.

Glad that you both liked Older Than Dirt quiz! I thought it was cute.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #163  

S/C/G: 237/238/165

Height: 5 feet 7

Talking Thanks!

Lynn,

Thanks for the encouragement. You're right WW does have bonus points---35 per week. The problem is I've been averaging at least 45.

I've just got to gain more control!!!! I tend to binge on the weekends. I'm working hard to get more control on this obvious weakness. Anyone have any advice????

TTFN,

Trish
Old 08-10-2007, 10:42 PM   #164  

Marylynn, We must have been posting at the same time! I really thought that we would all get a good laugh out of "Older than Dirt"! Just wanted to say Hi and enjoy your family night.

Zoe, Sure hope you are feeling better.. Don't mess around with that high of a fever.. Keep us posted on how you are feeling.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:32 PM   #165  
Moxiesd

S/C/G: 235/175/155

Height: 5'2"

A quick hello....am trying to get a new avatar....don't think it is working....so forgive the intrusion!!
Margaret
Closed Thread