Old 08-11-2005, 02:01 PM   #181  
Haley

Suzefactor, congrats on your 6 pounds down. This is an open group, so feel free to jump in!! I haven't gotten to the point where I've hit a plateau but as far as I know there are ways to break it without supplements (if you don't want to go that route) things such as decreasing your caloric intake or increasing exercise (or both, obviously). Keep it up, you never know, you may not have a plateau where you think you will....Happy (almost) Birthday!

Karen, I'm studying finance. I'm planning on getting my MBA after I work for 3-5 years (they're suggesting that now) and want to get into upper-level management (CEO/CFO/VP of Finance, somewhere UP there).

Nicki, that is awesome! So proud of you!!! Softball is so much fun and it seems like you love it. So, good luck with your homeruns, soon that's ALL you'll be hitting, they'll be amazed!!!
haleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:52 PM   #182  
Melanie

Suzefactor - Welcome to our group - I have an 18 month old son, so I hear you on the dilema of exercising - they make it nearly impossible, that's why I can only do my Tae Bo during his nap or at night when he's asleep! Congrats on losing 6 lbs!

Nicki - Great job on eating well and exercising by hitting homers - LOL! So proud of you - keep it up!

Haley - Your aspirations in the finance world sound fantastic!

Karen - Go on vacation so I can live vicariously through you - ha ha! I agree with what Nicki said - make it an active vacation.

Oh Ladies, I am a bit down in the dumps. I have been extremely consistent and dilligent with my eating and exercise and I seem to be at a plateau - how is that possible at losing only 10 to 12 lbs?? I thought people plateaud when they were very near their goal weight, but I certainly am nowhere near. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated......I am not going to give up because the scale hasn't moved this week, but it seems like a lot of effort on my part and no results. Also, I noticed that yesterday I was ravenous - I coulda kept eating all day, it was like the bottomless pit or something, but I only ended up eating 1500 calories......what's wrong with me?? LOL!

Melanie
Meldiggety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:14 PM   #183  
NICKI

Melanie, if you were ravenous, your body is trying to tell you something! You should for sure eat! Also, I just read (maybe in my Fitness Magazine?) that you should change your calories everyday, because it keeps your metabolism guessing. I think it's supposed to help through a plateau. So maybe try eating 1800 cals today? I dunno, what do you think?

Welcome Suzefactor! So nice of you to join us. Please, just jump in at any time. I love having more support, as do the other ladies of course! And I agree with Haley, if you don't want to go the supplement route, there are other things you can do.

And thanks you guys for telling me you are proud of me. You are all so sweet!
Sunfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:21 PM   #184  
Karen

Hey ladies!

Melanie-Sorry you feel down and out. I get that way sometimes too. I think that there can be many factors at work here. You are doing so great with eating within cals and working out. My ? is. What types of foods. I know when I eat a high % of carbs, I retain lots of water. But, with I eat a high % of protein it seems like I am peeing all the time. Also, I eat more of a % of protein the day before I weight in and Wow. I lost more weight. So, I do not know if that will help you. I am sure you may know about glucose index in foods. If one is eating a high glucose index food, a lot of them, they tend to eat all day, so I do not know if you are having that problem. Also, is it that time of the month? Also, Nicki gave some great advice too. Also, don't always go by the scale!!!!! You hear me!!! It is not worth it. Next week you may lose even more weight that you thought you did. Just keep on going! And next week it will change. You can do it! I know you can!!!!

Haley-Wow, finance that is great!

Suzefactor-Great to have you here! What a great start you have on changing your life forever!

Nicki-way to go today.
fitnessweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 07:58 AM   #185  
Karen

Has anyone heard of the body for life women. I just got done working out and one of my partner and I talked about it a little. I feel like Melanie too. Somehow, I am busting my -ss and I gained two pounds. Today, I am planning on eating high % of proteins. Do a yoga class and cardio. My trainer thinks that I am doing way to much and not giving my body a rest. I did rest on Thursday. Hum...I think I will get the book of body for life for women. I need some answers and motivation. I know I will have my ups and downs... I will keep on pushing...Hope that everyone is doing well...

Karen
Old 08-12-2005, 10:40 AM   #186  
married the village idiot

The absolute strangest thing happened this morning. As I was getting ready to walk out the door, my husband was like, turn around and bend over. I was like uhhhh....but he was holding the baby, so I knew he wasn't going to pull any prank or anything. After I did, he says to me, "Yup, I knew it. Your butt shrank."

That's totally crazy. It's only 6 pounds, but my rear end is totally smaller. I've only worked out twice this week, though (today is my third circuit training day).

I'm finding myself totally sick of cooking. If I have to set foot in the kitchen again this weekend, I'll scream.

Sarah
suzefactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:35 AM   #187  
Haley

Sarah, that is so funny! good job!!! Sometimes I can't stand cooking and just must have a bowl of cereal for dinner, that's what I did last night. I'm not a very creative cook so when I cook, I have an omelet (is that even considered "cooking"?) and I can't really flip it so its usually 1/4 size of the regular omelet cause it got screwed up and is tiny now, but it's REALLY tall, so its still big!

I woke up this morning and stood on the scale and it says 205, I dont know how! I didn't eat too much yesterday, maybe 1000 cals (which I talked to my doc about and he said thats okay for ME occasionally, so dont follow) and had 3 or 4 pieces of chocolate. I won't question why I'll just be happy about it. Today is my last day of work and i have 2 weeks off before I go back to school, I'm sooooo excited!

Melanie, you may want to look at how many carbs you're eating a day. I don't really like the whole Atkins type thing because I've heard it can be unhealthy even though I know MANY peope lose weight on it. So, you may want to look at that and try to limit yourself to 100 or so carbs a day, people on Atkins, if I'm not mistaken are required to eat less than 20, so it's a big difference. Keep up with the exercise and the healthy eating, and don't get discouraged, I doubt you've hit a plateau. That's occasionally happened to me where I'll get home and I'll just start snackin on whatever is around, usually wheat thins, and no I don't want a meal, I just want some wheat thins. I don't think it's a bad thing as long as you're not eating a whole box of whatever, but get yourself out a serving and go to town on that one serving (or two if necessary). At least your snacking still kept under 1500 cals, good job!

Ew, there was a thing of perfume sitting on my drawers today and I picked it up and smelled it and it smelled pretty good, so I sprayed some on my wrist and now I'm realizing it smells weird, it's very floraly and I'm not a big floraly perfume person, I think I'll go wash it off, ick.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:23 PM   #188  
Melanie

Nicki - I tried eating higher calories yesterday (1850) to vamp up my metabolism - let's see if it works!? How are you doing today?

Karen & Haley- Thanks for your words of encouragement. As far as carbs go, I don't eat them at every meal, and if I do, it's only whole grains and small portions. For example, I will have 1 piece of toast with breakfast and one serving of brown rice or wheat pasta with dinner. I never eat processed or white flour carbs. I think my body may just be going through some sort of fluctuation - it's almost like it's resisting my effort, like it's comfortable at this weight and doesn't want to go down. I, on the other hand, am going to give my body a good kick in the butt, because I am NOT ok with this weight!!!

Karen - Keep your chin up - Boy, do I know how you feel though! Let's push through this together, ok? It helps to be on the same page with someone & we've got that going for us. You are doing everything like you are suppose to be, so now our bodies just have to catch up with our efforts

Haley - Congrats on the loss. I am so glad you are more encouraged this week than last and you've stuck with it - good going Girl!

Sarah - Good job on your buns shrinking I will be elated when I can tell that mine has shrunk - ha ha!

So, after I work out today, I will weigh in - I bet it's a 1 to 2 lb gain - BLAH.

Melanie
Old 08-12-2005, 02:02 PM   #189  
Karen

Hello gals,

Just checking in....

Suzefactor that is so great. Work that butt!!!! Did you do your measurements? And take a before and after pic. I did the measurements with my trainer, but I have not got the courage to take the before pic.

Haley I think I need to try to make an omelet. I need a change...It sounds yumy! You did so wonderful this week! Wow! 2 lbs

Melanie thanks for the movatition. I just took a yoga class today, and did 45mins of weights, that is cutting back for me. Today, I am trying to limit my carbs and cals trying to eat 1200. So we will see in the morning weigh in. Thanks so much for your encourgement. This process is so crazy!!
Old 08-12-2005, 03:52 PM   #190  
Haley

Karen, I was looking through the earlier threads when you asked how I eat 1200 a day, especially when working out. But I've found that 1200 is more than enough to satisfy me and I don't really find myself snacking a lot (very rarely). This is what I usually eat (just to give you an idea)

Breakfast (between 8:30-9):
Protein shake (1 frozen banana, 1 cup soy milk, 1 scoop Spirutein protein powder, a little bit of cinnamon and nutmeg)

Snack (around 10:30-11):
Low fat yogurt (between 80-110 cals)

Lunch (usually around 12): 2 egg omelet (or three depending on if I actually got breakfast in) and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese (I'll just use a 1/2 cup if I'm really hungry) and 2 vegetarian sausage links

Snack (around 3): Low fat yogurt or a piece of fruit or some cottage cheese

Dinner (around 6 or 7): it always varies but the other night i had one cup of pasta with 2 cups of vegetable soup on top with 1/4 cup of cheese

I really just like plain omelet's with just cheese but if you loaded it up with veggies that'd be a good way to have it more filling!

Fitday is down right now or I'd give you the exact cals. Good luck!!!

Last edited by haleys; 08-12-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:38 PM   #191  
Karen

Thanks Haley-I use fit day too! I like keeping track. I think I am going to try to cut back to 1200 cals. I like my omelets with just cheese too. Also, my sister gave me some of that soy protein powder. I think I will try that too. What kind of workouts do you do? What would be some other good snacks? I really do not care for yogurt. What is a typical day of food anyone? If helps me to know and gives me some ideas to try. Thanks for your input!
Old 08-12-2005, 04:47 PM   #192  
NICKI

Karen, I tried Body for Life, but not the woman version. I personally liked BFL. The workouts were great (except for the whole 6 days a week thing. that's too much for me!) and the food was good, because I ate every 2 hours! I didn't stick with it because I don't stick very well to "plans". I realized that eating what I want, but in moderation, works best for me. BUT if you are one who can stick to plans pretty well, this would be a good thing to do! Let us know if you decide to do it. Oh and I LOVE the smilies you use! They are so cute! LOL

Sarah, that's totally funny! Your hubby sounds cute! I know what you mean about cooking. Ugh. I try and make food a few days in advanced. That way I don't have to cook EVERYday, you know?

Haley, great job on losing! And honestly, having some chocolate like you did isn't gonna hurt. I have had a handful of Skittles almost everyday this week, and I still lost weight. It's all about working it into your day, you know? So yay for you! That's awesome.

Melanie, I say give it another week. Sometimes crap happens with your body and it's just weird. I bet you lose 2 pounds next week. And I am doing good! I did good this whole week, I'm pretty proud of myself.

So I lost 1.5 or 2 pounds this week, lol stupid scale. Yesterday it said I lost 2 pounds, but today it was more like 1.5. So that's kinda lame, cuz I ate good yesterday. But just in case, I'll stick w/ the 1.5 pounds. I'm pretty happy, because I still ate what I wanted, but in moderation. That's my goal! To still live and be happy and healthy! Yay!
Sunfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #193  
Melanie

Default Weigh-In

Thanks Haley for your food ideas - sounds yummy

Karen - I tend to like carmel rice cakes for a snack (50 cals per cake) or 5 whole wheat triscuits with low fat cream cheese or string cheese. If you marinate sliced cucumbers in garlic and balsamic vinegar (or any vinegar really) - they are very yummy too and hardly any calories!

Ok, so my weigh in isn't as bad as I thought;

Week 1 - 190.5 (7/10) - 0
Week 2 - 185.5 (7/22) - 5
Week 3 - 181.5 (7/29) - 4
Week 4 - 178.5 (8/5) -2
Week 5 - 179.0 (8/12) +.5

Total lbs lost: 11.5

At least my gain is only .5 lb, but when you aren't cheating and you're not losing weight, it's still a bummer. Oh well, better luck next time.

Melanie

Last edited by Meldiggety; 08-13-2005 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #194  
Haley

Typical workout for me (when I have a full week of working out) is like Monday through Friday an hour on the elliptical each day and Mon/Wed/Fri with full body strength training (upper arms, abs, legs, chest, back, butt).

Hah, I think we all posted at the same time (Nicki, Melanie and I) those are some good snack ideas, Melanie! Good job on your 1.5 pounds down, Nicki! And .5 is nothing, Melanie, seriously, it's probably just water weight. Keep it up!!

Last edited by haleys; 08-12-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:06 PM   #195  
Melanie

Hey Gals

Went to a wedding last night - I figured my calories when I came home for the meal, cake & wine and it was about 1400 cals!! Good thing I had only eaten 600 for the whole day before the wedding. So anyways, I was way up on calories, but the way things have been going, maybe a high calorie meal would do me some good and boost my metabolism. We'll see. Tonight I have a dinner w/ my hubby and his frineds from high school before their 10 year reunion.......so I have to have a game plan about what to order instead of waiting till the time comes.

How is everyone's weekend coming along?

Melanie