Old 08-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #211  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

3rd day fully back OP since returning to work...did 20 minutes on the elliptical and 15 minutes of yoga tonight...feeling good!

Friday will be 2 weeks since my last WI, but TOM is on its way, so we shall see...

Hope everyone is having a great hump day!
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #212  
Maintainer since 8/15/09

S/C/G: 173/118.6/110-115lbs.

Height: 5'3

jdonato- Thanks, you made alot of progress too, you'll have those extra pounds off soon, you've done it before, you will do it again!

Well, I knew more weight would pile on. I gained a total of 3.3 lbs. from my three day mistake. At least it's better than 5 lbs. that's usually how much I gain. I made sure I ate lower sodium foods, unfortunately alot of them, but it did help. Today I had 1285 calories. I ate all my normal healthy unprocessed foods and because of that I am running to the bathroom every 2 hrs today, losing that water. There will be a weight loss tomorrow for sure!
fruitlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #213  
certifiable

S/C/G: 189/see ticker/155

Height: 5' 5"

I learn so much just reading all of your posts --

I have been seriously considering whether or not I want to lower my goal weight -- I have never been less than a size 14 on bottom in my adult life (I am a 10 on top) -- although they say that sizes have changed, and what is a size 14 now was really a size 12 in the 1970's, so maybe I was -- I remember fitting into a men's size 34 in my thinner days in college, and wearing a size 14 -- what would be the equivalent in today's sizes? Maybe I'll research it --

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLife View Post

If I eat more than 1550 cals a day, I gain. I have to eat 1400 or so, or less to lose. Am not petite, but older; we women get those parameters from all sides. I'm on low carb. When I was only counting calories, I couldn't eat more than 1350 a day, or I'd gain. And had to eat 1150 or less per day to lose. Low carb is great for me.
EM, you and fruitlady have given me so much to think about regarding a goal weight that I can maintain.....

fruitlady, I read all of your posts with great interest, as you are someone who started out at about the same size that I am, and you really disciplined yourself and got down to a tiny size, which is fantastic ! But -- it seems to me that you have to struggle so hard to maintain, and that you will effectively "be on a diet" your whole life. If you eat more than about 1500 calories too many days in a row, you gain, is that correct? Truthfully, I have no trouble eating 1500 calories while I am in "weight loss" mode, but once I reach my goal weight, I hope I can relax and eat a bit more. When I lost weight before and got down to about 164, I maintained on between 1800 and 2000, and could occasionally go up to 2300 as long as I ate a bit less the next day, and still maintain.

I looked it up, and to maintain 150 lbs I would be able to eat about 1800 to 2000 -- that I can live with the rest of my life. But the thought of having to do 1500 forever to stay small just bums me out....

That's why I am seriously contemplating this goal weight thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLife View Post

Low carb is great for me.
Em, please explain this to me -- how is low carb any different? I really don't know much about it at all -- all I have ever done is count calories, cuz that always made the most sense to me -- with low carb, do you not consider the calories in food at all? And how does that work -- if you eat too many "low carb" calories you can still gain, right?

Last edited by KarenBee; 08-18-2010 at 09:28 PM.
KarenBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:34 AM   #214  

Height: 5' 8"

Jdonato - One nice thing about getting up early to exercise is that I get to watch the sunrise while I am jogging.

Shylah - I hope those legs are feeling better soon. Does it help any if you stretch them? Sometimes when my legs are really sore, I try stretching a few times a day.

Jigglefree - glad to hear the new plan is going so well. I am really trying to push it these last few days of the month to see if I can surprise myself too.

NorthernExposure - you are doing great!

Fruitlady - I have noticed that if I go from eating non processed foods to processed foods I do have some major weight fluctuations. I think that it is mostly water though since when I eat non processed again it falls right back off.

KarenBee - Your post really got me thinking.

When I get to my goal weight, I may change it. I know that I will continue to exercise and eat healthy, so the weight may continue to come off...I think I am going to let my body guide me at that point. Right now I eat an average of 1550 cals a day. I am hardly ever left feeling hungry, I try to plan to have healthy choices around and if at the end of the day I am still truely hungry, I will have another snack. My goal is to continue eating this way with an occasional dinner out or piece of cake. I forsee calorie counting for the rest of my life, mainly because when I do, I make better choices.

I went to bed early last night, and woke up after 7 hours of sleep. I think I am going to go try to lay down for another hour...then I am going to do W5D3 of c25k - my first 20 min of non stop jogging.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:18 AM   #215  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Good Morning, everyone!

KarenBee, the link in my signature to Eat Fat and Grow Slim, explains the basics of low carb eating and how it works. The book is a bit older, but the principles are the same. The way Dr. MacKarness wrote, was very easy to understand and think about. You might also be interested in reading Barry Groves' books. Here is his website: http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/
He explains things in a way which is very easy to follow as well. If you are interested in the science behind it all, the links in my signature to the blogs, are written by doctors who write about metabolism, macronutrients (proteins, fats, carbohydrates) and how they are metabolized, as well as what causes, prevents, and cures or alleviates diseases.

Envelope, your plan sounds very familiar. I stayed about ten or fifeen pounds heavier for several years, just living in maintenance and this year, when that crept up a bit, I realized that I really, really wanted to be thinner, and so I'm working on it. I guess I needed the stability of being a bit heavier than my ideal, after having been so heavy and then losing fifty pounds. It's been a multi-year process, and I see that it is simply ongoing.

JiggleFree, NorthernExposure, Fruitlady,

Sending you all best wishes.

Last edited by SilverLife; 08-19-2010 at 06:53 AM. Reason: corrected typeface
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #216  
saggzz

S/C/G: 222/205.6/170

Height: 5'9"

Good morning. I've got the back to school blues today. I officially go back to work tomorrow ( I know, I can't complain since I am off all summer). I have been feeling kind of bummed b/c my son will be starting kindergarten next week. I just can't believe it. Last night he told me he was going to miss Vicki ( our babysitter). Vicki has watched my kids for 7 years and I just know that I am going to cry on his last day when I pick him up after work.

So, I tried to join a gym the other night. It was an all women's club and they had a man working there. I was really put off by him. He told me he was going to personally train me. WHat????? Then he kept asking me what my goals were. When I told him I was tired of my treadmill and just wanted to take classes he looked at me like I was nuts and then said "but what is your goal?" Then he asked me if I had belonged to other gyms. I had in the past. He kept asking me why I had quit them. Well Einstein, I don't know why. I think because I had kids and I just didn't have time. So, after my meeting with him I took a class. I really enjoyed it. But on my way out, the guy wanted to go over all the machines and put me on a personal plan. Now, I'm the kind of person who just wants to do her thing and be done. I liked the gym, but did not like him. So, now I don't know what to do. I have a 2 week free pass, but every time I go in, I have to schedule with a trainer. And I don't want to be trained especially by him.

I am down .4 this week. Small loss, but I'll take it. I had TOM and ate more than I should have.

Hope you guys have a great day!
saggzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #217  
certifiable

Em, I glanced at the Eat Fat and grow Slim link in your sig before, and if I remember right he talks a lot about eating animal fat. I can't eat any animal fat at all because I had my gall bladder out. I am in a real big hurry now cuz I have to get to work, but I'll look at it again tonite after I get home....
Old 08-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #218  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Karen, there are many resources for low carb. If it interests you, you could ask things in the low carb forum you might find something that appeals to you. That would be the place for low carb questions

I just follow what works for me.

Sagzz, congratulations on your loss. I agree, we'll accept all progress!

Wishing you all lovely successes today.

Last edited by SilverLife; 08-19-2010 at 09:19 AM.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #219  

Good morning everyone!

Legs are still sore, but have been stretching them out and today seems to be the best day so far. I hope I am able to get some kind of work out done on Saturday, we'll see.
ShylahEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #220  

S/C/G: 148.8/130.0/118

Height: 5'3.75"

Just got back from my workout...3.32 miles and burned 276 calories! wahooo....of course if the bf was doing that he'd burn 600 calories lol. Feels good to get back into the swing of things. I had a late breakfast because I got my hair done this morning and i'm not really hungry for lunch...it's 3:47pm and the bf get's home in 2 hours and i'll eat dinner then so i might just have a snack and then eat my dinner. We will see.

So our TV is broken and has been for about a week now and it's been sooo nice! The bf and I have been more active and the past couple of nights we have been playing cards together and spending quality time and getting in bed early. Last night we got beer...Bud select 55 calories...so I had 2 he had a few more we played Phase 10...great game! and got in bed around 10:30pm. so so nice.

ShylahEQ: Thanks! I love getting back into the routine and I'm so excited for Monday too just can't wait to see what I can do hope your legs feel better

SilverLife: Thanks for the support! Yes I found the best low carb wraps today from OLE....71 calories and 12 grams of fiber with 17 grams of carbs omg love it!

jigglefree: way to go on the treadmill! you are kicking mmmmaaaaajor bootie!

NorthernExposure: way to be back on track congrats on your 3 OP days!

fruitlady: Thanks for the support I know I can do it I just have to be patient...I am curious when you say no processed foods...I'm looking to add some better food into my diet...any suggestions on some really good foods I should stock up on in my fridge? Thanks

envelope: Oh my how beautiful that is to watch the sunrise in the mornings. I want to start running outside to see that every morning.

sorry to cut this short ladies, but i have some cleaning to do, cooking and getting ready before the bf comes home. Hope you all have a wonderful night!
jdonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #221  

S/C/G: 148.8/130.0/118

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBee View Post
I learn so much just reading all of your posts --

I have been seriously considering whether or not I want to lower my goal weight -- I have never been less than a size 14 on bottom in my adult life (I am a 10 on top) -- although they say that sizes have changed, and what is a size 14 now was really a size 12 in the 1970's, so maybe I was -- I remember fitting into a men's size 34 in my thinner days in college, and wearing a size 14 -- what would be the equivalent in today's sizes? Maybe I'll research it --

EM, you and fruitlady have given me so much to think about regarding a goal weight that I can maintain.....

fruitlady, I read all of your posts with great interest, as you are someone who started out at about the same size that I am, and you really disciplined yourself and got down to a tiny size, which is fantastic ! But -- it seems to me that you have to struggle so hard to maintain, and that you will effectively "be on a diet" your whole life. If you eat more than about 1500 calories too many days in a row, you gain, is that correct? Truthfully, I have no trouble eating 1500 calories while I am in "weight loss" mode, but once I reach my goal weight, I hope I can relax and eat a bit more. When I lost weight before and got down to about 164, I maintained on between 1800 and 2000, and could occasionally go up to 2300 as long as I ate a bit less the next day, and still maintain.

I looked it up, and to maintain 150 lbs I would be able to eat about 1800 to 2000 -- that I can live with the rest of my life. But the thought of having to do 1500 forever to stay small just bums me out....

That's why I am seriously contemplating this goal weight thing....

Em, please explain this to me -- how is low carb any different? I really don't know much about it at all -- all I have ever done is count calories, cuz that always made the most sense to me -- with low carb, do you not consider the calories in food at all? And how does that work -- if you eat too many "low carb" calories you can still gain, right?

before I go I wantd to address this...

Karenbee: I fully 100% understand where you are coming from and agree with you. Now for Em and fruitlady their bodies maybe different than yours. Allow me to explain....it all has to do with your muscle mass, bone structure, metobolism and genetics to determine what you body can take as far as calorie range. You may find that once you lose your weight you have a higher muscle mass and actually need more calories inorder to matain your weight and you can eat more. Your body may not fluxuate as much as theirs....you have to take in to consideration age, height, weight, muscle, fat % and the big one...genetics! As for genetics goes there is bone structure....this also will determine the caloric intake you will need. So those ladies may struggle with the calorie range for them and may have been the same starting weight but their genetics, bone structure, and all can be way different. Let's take me for instance....I am the same height and probably frame as fruitlady...assuming by our sizes we wear...I however can't be at her weight due to my muscle mass and genetics. If i get to 115 that's the lowest I can go, any less and I lose muslce mass and bloodsugar loss...etc....now I may be the same size as her but it takes my body 1600 calories to sustain life and when I work out 1700-1800...which for someone who is a lil over 5"3 is alot...but that's what I need. 8 years ago I needed 3000 calories to matain my weight due to activity level and my metobolism. So when considering you goal weight please look at all the factors and what works for you. A good indicator is your bone structure...and muscle mass. You maybe have been at a size 14 but just as phsyically fit as someone who was a size 2. And how and were you carry your weight will determine what you want to lose.

I hope this helps, my family's in the medical field and really get into genetics when it comes to health and i've had to deal with my own for my body. Good Luck!
jdonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #222  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

Hello there!

After 4 days on the road, and 3 months in Cali, it seems so weird to be home. I'm not exactly ready to go back to school, work, and move, but i guess it has to happen.

i've been on plan all day today, and didn't do so bad on the road. it feels good

dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #223  
certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdonato View Post
before I go I wantd to address this...

Karenbee: I fully 100% understand where you are coming from and agree with you. Now for Em and fruitlady their bodies maybe different than yours. Allow me to explain....it all has to do with your muscle mass, bone structure, metobolism and genetics to determine what you body can take as far as calorie range. You may find that once you lose your weight you have a higher muscle mass and actually need more calories inorder to matain your weight and you can eat more. Your body may not fluxuate as much as theirs....you have to take in to consideration age, height, weight, muscle, fat % and the big one...genetics! As for genetics goes there is bone structure....this also will determine the caloric intake you will need. So those ladies may struggle with the calorie range for them and may have been the same starting weight but their genetics, bone structure, and all can be way different. Let's take me for instance....I am the same height and probably frame as fruitlady...assuming by our sizes we wear...I however can't be at her weight due to my muscle mass and genetics. If i get to 115 that's the lowest I can go, any less and I lose muslce mass and bloodsugar loss...etc....now I may be the same size as her but it takes my body 1600 calories to sustain life and when I work out 1700-1800...which for someone who is a lil over 5"3 is alot...but that's what I need. 8 years ago I needed 3000 calories to matain my weight due to activity level and my metobolism. So when considering you goal weight please look at all the factors and what works for you. A good indicator is your bone structure...and muscle mass. You maybe have been at a size 14 but just as phsyically fit as someone who was a size 2. And how and were you carry your weight will determine what you want to lose.

I hope this helps, my family's in the medical field and really get into genetics when it comes to health and i've had to deal with my own for my body. Good Luck!
Thank you jdonato, that really explains a lot --

I have been thinking about it -- in 1978-1979 when I was in college I went on this starvation diet for months, eating about 1000 calories or less. I got really skinny -- for me, that is -- I went down to 132, and was a size small on top, but still a size 12 on bottom (about a size 10 now). I have been "blessed" with a pear shape -- I am 100% Italian, and the women in my family are all "ample" in the butt -- no matter how much weight I lose that will still be true.

I decided that I am going to see how I look and feel at 155, and then decide then if I want to go further....
Old 08-19-2010, 11:42 PM   #224  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

It's late trying to catch up, I'm pooped. Not doing bad saw a new low today of 173.6 just hope it keeps going down so I can make goal and possibly even see 169.

Jiggle how are the shoes coming along? You're doing great

Flower congrats on making your goal

Shylah hope your legs feel better soon

saggzz, he sounds pushy. Glad you enjoyed the class. Maybe the everyday training is just their protocol to get you familiar with their machines. But I don't think I would want someone with me for two weeks either. Maybe you can ask for someone else that would be less pushy.

jdonato, no tv and quality time, ahhhhh

dcapulet, glad you made it home safely wow that seems fast. You were rolling

Hi to Everyone I missed ... I'll catch up. to you ALL
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:40 AM   #225  
Maintainer since 8/15/09

S/C/G: 173/118.6/110-115lbs.

jdonato- eating no processed foods works for me instantly. I basically live on, about 10 servings of fruit, 1 serving of fiber one cereal, 1 serving of veggies, 2 greek yogurts, 1 serving skinless chicken a day, fish and lots of peanut butter( I make it myself) other times as substitutes. I think the cereal is the only processed food I eat all day, except the days I want to overeat, then it's a different story. lol

KarenBee- Everyone is different, but when I was losing weight I was only eating 900 to 1100 cal. a day. Now that I am trying to maintain, I am up to 1300 to 1500 cal. and some days it is higher than that. I have a small frame and am very active, so it doesn't take much food to keep me going all day. It seems like alot of food to me. It's the type of food you eat that counts, I eat more a day than every other member of my family, but they eat junky food, you can really eat more if you eat unprocessed foods. I really am still lost when it comes to maintaining, this is all a big experiment right now til I find the right calorie amount needed to maintain, and I've been doing it for a year. Don't worry, you find what works for you.

As for me, I had 1440 cal today. At work I was munching on raspberries, strawberries, grapes and cherries. That's the advantage of working at a fruit stand, and I get a great discount on the fruit I take home too. I noticed I'm dropping water weight faster for the past 1 1/2 months now. Instead of 4 to 5 days, it's taking 2 to 3 days. Not sure why, I have only been working for 3 weeks, so I don't think that has anything to do with it, but I like it. I can over eat on my days off and lose it on the days I do work. But when will that stop, that's what scares me. Will i eat like a pig for 1 or 2 days and all of a sudden I won't be able to lose it? I am learning that eating more calories is actually put my weight down. I feel like an idiot sometimes, I could have been eating so much more and not going to bed hungry for the past year, while still keeping my weight down.
fruitlady is offline   Reply With Quote