Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:43 PM   #241  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Hi Gang!
Lynn........I missed where you hurt your shoulder, were you skate boarding or something? I haven't check your challenges, how are they going and who's been the big winners?[/COLOR]

See ya girls , Bobbi
Hi Bobbi,

Nothing so interesting. I was lowering myself down into the bathtub! Those pre-20th century folks were right - bathing can be dangerous to one's health!

The Challenge thread is up in the Sticky area. There is also a sticky with previous Challenge winners up there.

Lynn
Old 01-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #242  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulaneycat View Post
[B]Lynn I'm sorry to hear that the flat belly people don't want to work w/ type 2 diabetics (there's so many, you'd think that they would rethink this decision). From a medical perspective I'm not understanding their logic. Interesting about the soap on the bed thing, it can't hurt. How's that shoulder?
Marylynn
Hi Marylynn,

Flat Belly folks are probably right - I don't need to fool around with other ways of eating - I'm just looking for something "new" that will get me losing again. I think I might do South Beach - that's diabetes-friendly.

Shoulder is hurting less - by the time I get to the physical therapist - I have appt. on Monday, it will probably be healed!

Lynn
Old 01-25-2008, 01:20 AM   #243  

I was going to ask what you did to your shoulder as well. Mine is getting better after two years - I had a frozen shoulder - apparently very common <ahem> at this age and among hypothyroids and diabetics.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #244  

Quote:
Originally Posted by llavender View Post
I was going to ask what you did to your shoulder as well. Mine is getting better after two years - I had a frozen shoulder - apparently very common <ahem> at this age and among hypothyroids and diabetics.
Did you ever get a cortisone shot to help it? I've have problems with my shoulder before - the other one - and the shot has always taken care of it.

Lynn
Old 01-25-2008, 09:42 AM   #245  

Good Morning Everyone,

My Elliptical gets delivered today - hopefully. I never trust that I'll get what I ordered when I'm supposed to get it.

If it gets here, I'm going to start the increase of my exercise & do something to change how I'm eating. Will still be low-carb, but I want to do something different to shake things up.

I'll let you know what I decide - maybe South Beach, maybe Weight Watchers...
Anyone have any ideas?

Lynn
Old 01-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #246  
Birgit

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6'0"

Good morning, Everyone -

Don't have much time today cuz I'm planning on leaving the office early to get down to Boston. But YoYo, Marylynn and others - thank you for your suggestions on keeping myself "safe" on my long drive. I will definitely use some or all of your suggestions. Mostly, though, my plan is simply to hold true to my commitment: no eating while driving. It just seems to make sense on several different levels. Certainly eating while driving is unsafe as it distracts me from paying attention to the road. It's also unsafe as driving distracts my attention from the food. So one thing at a time. Either I'm eating (bringing hardboiled eggs, water and almonds along is a great suggestion - thanks!), or I'm driving. No doing it at the same time.

Assuming I can find a working internet connection at my friend's house, I will check in with you all over the weekend. Be well, Everyone...

Birgit

PS - Lynn, glad to hear your shoulder is on the mend. Let this be a lesson to you: Cleanliness is next to painfulness

B.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #247  

I had (have?) low cortisol anyway. Cortisone made it hurt a bit less, but it was only short term. Physical therapy made it worse. It's just a condition that has to work it's way through. One of those ones that doctors shrug their shoulders over. (at least they*can* shrug)
Old 01-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #248  

Default Toe Cramps

I just lost my reply to this - but for cramps of any kind, try magnesium (citrate is what most people take, but everyone is different..) Magnesium relaxes muscles, (calcium does the opposite, and many suppliments do not have the best ratio of cal/mag)

Deficiency is very common these days - it's depleted by many everyday things - and as estrogen levels decrease, magnesium needs increase. it's needed for proper heart function, energy, insulin regulation, etc.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #249  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi everybody . . .

Sorry I'm late getting here today but I had to take my friend LouLou for some early morning tests at the hospital and it sort of turned into an all-day event. At least we succeeded in taking her mind of the reasons for the tests for a little while (lumps in both breasts and a discharge from the right one). Hope she gets the results fairly soon. No matter what the outcome (and I certainly have my for good news); the waiting always seems to be the worst part of things like this.

At least it was another day -- but boy was it ever cold -- and the bad news is that tomorrow is supposed to be even colder. Everywhere you go, you hear people grumbling about the cold (of course) but even more so about the level of the home heating costs so far this season.

Here's an interesting little thing that was in my e:mail today -- again, aimed mainly at those with Diabetes because vision problems are so common for us -- but kind of interesting for anyone "of a certain age" -- a set of three little "vision simulators" that you can try. I can definitely vouch for the effect in the one that simulates cataracts. . . . http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowCo...simulator.html

Have a good evening, gang . . . see you tomorrow . . .
Old 01-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #250  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Lynn...please get South Beach Diet book. I have been on the beach for a year and have lost a good 50lbs. I don't take any meds and my BP and chlorestrol have always been perfect. But have a husband who is diabetic. Since the only thing he knows how to cook are hard boiled eggs (cover with water and boil until water disappears!), he is totally dependant on what I serve. So he is south beaching it too. His blood sugar have stablized and he has had decrease in oral meds. Plus his high BP is normal now. karen3
Old 01-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #251  

hi you all........ooops! I let the cat out of the bag. Level one has been doing it's trick and I have lost that ugly 5lbs I gained over the holidays. Ah but it was such fun being a piggy. Will admit I choose my treats and enjoyed them, but when it came time to settle back into the program I was aimless until I found you all. karen3
Old 01-26-2008, 01:17 AM   #252  

Hi everyone..my mom has worsened and im leaving for minnesota..be back in a couple of weeks..im sad..keep doing the good things for your selves (((hugs))) rosey
Old 01-26-2008, 08:30 AM   #253  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
Lynn...please get South Beach Diet book. I have been on the beach for a year and have lost a good 50lbs. I don't take any meds and my BP and chlorestrol have always been perfect. But have a husband who is diabetic. Since the only thing he knows how to cook are hard boiled eggs (cover with water and boil until water disappears!), he is totally dependant on what I serve. So he is south beaching it too. His blood sugar have stablized and he has had decrease in oral meds. Plus his high BP is normal now. karen3
Hi Karen3,

I actually have the SB book. My only problem with this one is having to make all those recipes. Is there a kind of "exchange" program for SB?

Lynn
Old 01-26-2008, 09:39 AM   #254  
Lifetime Loser

Rosey.....I'm send prayers for your Mother, you and your family. I know your sad hon but take care of yourself too. Have a safe flight.

Phyllis
Old 01-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #255  

Lynn...No only the American Diabetes plan has exchanges...what I found was I copy the lists of can and can not haves and make up weekly diet up using those good foods and adjusting my own recipes to be beachy. Mostly more olive oil,ww pasta,and substitue so I get the flavor I wanna without the carbs and nasty fats. A broiled sirloin hamburger on a portabella mushroom cap with slice of fat free swiss makes us happy. I can't stand the riccotta desserts but jello sugar free puddings take the edge off. Plus eating 5-7 helps of vegies gets creative,too. I nuke package of fresh vegies barely done and drizzle sundried in evoo tomatoes over them....finger lick'n good. Sometimes feels like I get my excercise by working so hard at be a creative cook. I found that using a Tsp of panko bread crumbs and couple spoonfuls of parm cheese dash of garlic and pepperika makes a great shake'nbake boneless chicken breast.Spray pan with pam so breast doesn't stick.
I have another week of level one before I can start with ww pasta, but the ww angelhair with chicken sausage is good. Add ww noodles to vegies pot. Found ww needs to cook longer and took some getting use to, but now reg tastes starchy.
My biggest miss is good bread....ww just doesn't cut it.
I love to cook and am constantly trying new recipes out. Watch the Foodnet and then figure out beachy way. Luckly my dh will eat everything.
Have lived my life on diets...lost a ton with Atkins, WW and every fad known to man. SB is kinda no longer a diet but a way of life. I gotta a little north of the beach, but I"M BACK!
Closed Thread