Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 AM   #226  

Height: 5'1"

Godd Morning G G's, The snow has finally stopped here, but it's still white outside, and COLD. I never understood why people would want to move to Florida (I hate hot weather) but now I'm beginning to get it. It takes me forever to get warm. I mentioned it to my sister and she said it was the weight loss. I suppose she's right. I was always the one that was too warm all the time, never wore long sleeves. Still getting used to this new me.

YoYo, so good that your husband is trying to be supportive. Mine says he is, and them brings home butter pecan ice cream. I'm the only one here that eats that. He never touches it. I've gotten used to it and it's something I just have to deal with. If it's something the kids will eat, I send it home with them. If it's not, I just throw it away. And that is very hard for me. Throwing good food out is something you just don't do. jTook me a long time to be able to do that. I use flax seed too. I buy it in bulk and grind it as i need it. I throw it in everything. Muffins, cereal... I read somewhere, hungry girl I think, that they were selling it in those containers that store and grind. That would make it so much easier to use. I haven't found it here yet, but i'm looking. How was the weigh in?

meowee, enjoy the good weather while you have it. Hope it stays around for awhile.

Birgit, You did get a revelation! Sometimes, 5 lb. loss doesn't seem like much. But pick up a 5 lb. bag of sugar and carry it around for awhile! In your case a laptop! Just think about how much lighter you'll feel when you lose a couple of laptops! It is easy to get obcessed with the scale, and set our mood on what it says. Hide it somewhere so it won't tempt you every day, and only dig it out once a week. Don't let a silly scale determine how you feel.

Lynn, I'm sure that the Diabetic association will have a diet that you can follow. What have you been using?

Hi Joann, Sorry to hear that you're sick. Feel better! I hope you didn't get sick untill AFTER you got home. Looking forward to seeing the vacation pictures and hearing about your trip.

Karen3, I seldom have leg cramps since I started taking the magnesium, but i'm going to run right out and buy some of that irish spring soap! The cravings do get easier to handle. I know you will do will at the games. Just decide before hand what you are going to eat. And stay away from the rest of the food. Remember, there are always going to be things that tempt us. And it's not like you're never going to see this food again!

Phyllis, I am trying to get back to walking again too. It's a slow process. I've never used to tapes but I know they have them at the local library. I'm going to check one out and try it.

Everyone take care, and to all the GG's that haven't posted in awhile, hurry back, we miss you. Freda
Old 01-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #227  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . .

SSDD around here -- although there has been a slight change to the long-range weather forecast -- they are still calling for partly sunny through the weekend bu now are admitting that the temps are on the way back down to that nasty, nasty -30C (-20F) range that we had at the beginning of this week.

Already did a little time on the Gazelle this morning and my main exercise today will be coming from the weekly 'mall-crawl' that I do with my buddy LouLou on Thursday afternoons. How's it going for the rest of you?

BTW, LYNN I think you will find that the ADA (like the CDA) are still favouring the exchange system they've been pushing for years and years. However, you can change it up a little by cutting back on the starch exchanges and increasing the protein exchanges a bit.

So sorry to hear you came home sick, JOANNE. Hope it passes soon.

Big for everybody. Keep things moving and shaking today, gang -- see you soon . . .
Old 01-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #228  
Lifetime Loser

Lynn, I'm sorry they wouldn't let you do the diet but it's nice to know they are being careful. How is the shoulder? Don't you think with what your cal. intake is and starting to exercise again you will lose? They have me on 1200 cal. a day but if I can't save something for an afternoon snack from the meal, like yesterday, I have to add one....I added a tiny apple/1 wedge laughing cow cheese at 4 p.m. and a 50 cal. unsweetened applesauce around 9 p.m. and that put me up a little over 1300 cal. and I still lost a lb. I did walk a mile also.

The main thing with the diet is the good fats with every meal which I don't see why you couldn't add those in and try to keep your calories under 1600 and eat your proper foods and times of the day with your exercise.

Email me if you want any more info.

Phyllis
Old 01-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #229  
Birgit

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6'0"

Good morning, Ladies--

YoYo, I can't say whether you're being obsessive about the food journaling or not. But I do know that if you are anything like me (and most of us who are significantly overweight are fairly similar in this way) then you have certainly been pretty obsessive about eating in the past. So now you may be substituting one obsession (eating) with another (food journaling). On the one hand, unhealthy - on the other, healthy. Put in balance, I'd go with the obsessive food journaling. It works for you, Girl - so keep it up! And yes, you absolutely are an inspiration to me!

Joann, I don't know you yet cuz I'm new here. But welcome back - I'm looking forward to getting to know you. Hope you feel better soon.

I'm facing a weekend trip to Boston, leaving here tomorrow afternoon. The drive is about 230 miles each way. Being in the car alone is always a challenge for me because many years ago I developed this weird habit of stopping at a convenience store along the way, loading up on crap, and mindlessly scarfing it down while driving. Also, I'll be spending the weekend with a very old and much beloved friend who, unfortunately, has been a willing eating accomplice in the past. It will be a challenge, keeping myself on the straight and narrow for the weekend. But I will bring my laptop with me, and will check in occasionally over the weekend. Thank you, All, for being "out there" to help me keep myself accountable.

Hope you're all having a good day...
Birgit
Old 01-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #230  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
Hi you all...well tried the soap between the sheets and didn't have any cramps, BUT my dreams were full of lovely half naked young Irish Lads........did I say it was Irish Spring soap!

Got thru day 4th without cheating and my cravings are disappearing. Tomorrow is a hard day since I don't play bridge on Thurs. Have to keep on the move or I will "just taste" something. karen3
OK, Karen3,

I'm running out to buy some Irish Spring soap right now!

Lynn
Old 01-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #231  

Height: 5' 8"

Good morning, good morning

Welcome back Joann sorry you came back sick but I bet the vaca was worth the airplane germs I love Maui - when I win the lottery that's where I'm going to retire.

How's the shoulder doing Lynn? Did you have any luck with your other on line resources about a diet similar to flat belly? I bet if you were to take as much info as you do have on it and review with your doc, he/she would be able to help you tailor a version that would work for you.

Good for you Freda for not letting your hubby's shopping habits interfere with your plan - especially now that you reached goal and might be vulnerable to that little voice that says "you can relax now and eat some ice cream". You know the one that ends up putting us right back here? (I'm picturing you covering your ears and doing the "la-la-la, I can't heeer you" thing to it ) I'm sure he just doesn't realize what he's doing. If he's never been concerned with his weight then he just doesn't get why not having trigger foods around is so important - especially since he loves you what ever size your are. And for learning to throw away food!!! That was half my problem too and since DH doesn't like leftovers it was easier for me just to make sure there weren't any by eating it all.

OK Birgit here's my little O/C (inspirational ) self with positive thoughts to get you through your challenging weekend. Here's where that plan, plan, plan mentality can really come in to play! You still have some time before you leave and you've already identified a couple of weak spots so try and think of some alternatives. Before you leave, stock up the car with bottled water and some healthy munchies that you know you like - raw nuts? apples? grapes? couple of hard boiled eggs? (already peeled and in baggies please - we can't have you running off the road because you were trying to peel an egg!!) And take enough of them to keep you satisfied for the drive. Even if you have a little more than is on your meal plan it's better than a bag of chips. If you have to stop for gas on the way, pay at the pump with a debit (or credit) card or try to find one of those stations that have a bill accepter at the pump - Don't go in if you can possibly help it. Waaay to much nasty, chemical laden, empty calorie, impossibly tempting stuff in there. The much beloved friend can be a little tougher. Unless they are carrying around some extra pounds as well they aren't going to understand and will use the "one weekend won't hurt you" thing that we all fall for every time (then hate ourselves for on Monday). Maybe don't mention that you are trying to lose weight but just say you have some health concerns so you'd prefer to pass on the dessert. Or, if they do have a few they want to lose too you can sway them from being an eating accomplice to being a healthy eating accomplice If you do slip, we'll be here for you when you get back but I'll be thinking of you and I know you can come back with some strong moments to be proud of.

OK, me. Two things I am happy about today. Last night DH really, really wanted to have some frozen taquitos he had picked up. Package of 20. Usual procedure: Cook them all, DH has maybe 5, the rest? I think you can guess. New procedure: Cook DH his 5, put the rest in the freezer. I have some soup and frozen blackberries (whole - no syrup) for dessert. Owww, I just hurt myself patting my own back Second, I got the upper hand on that irritating entity called a scale for the second week in a row! I am only half a pound away from being down a whole laptop

Healthy, happy thoughts to you all!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #232  

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarusty View Post
Lynn, I'm sorry they wouldn't let you do the diet but it's nice to know they are being careful. How is the shoulder? Don't you think with what your cal. intake is and starting to exercise again you will lose? They have me on 1200 cal. a day but if I can't save something for an afternoon snack from the meal, like yesterday, I have to add one....I added a tiny apple/1 wedge laughing cow cheese at 4 p.m. and a 50 cal. unsweetened applesauce around 9 p.m. and that put me up a little over 1300 cal. and I still lost a lb. I did walk a mile also.

The main thing with the diet is the good fats with every meal which I don't see why you couldn't add those in and try to keep your calories under 1600 and eat your proper foods and times of the day with your exercise.

Email me if you want any more info.

Phyllis
Hi Phyllis,

I've been sticking to around 1,300 calories/day for the last couple of weeks & maintaining. I think that if I up my exercise by 30 min/day (my Elliptical gets delivered tomorrow), and stick to the same number of calories, I should start losing again.

I think I'll just keep on doing what I've been doing - 1,300 calories + low-carb + good fats + daily exercise.

Lynn
Old 01-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #233  

Hi Everyone,

Shoulder still hurts - I got a prescription for physical therapy from my doctor. I went to my class this morning. I like the teacher very much - a kind of pleasant hippy from the 60's. He's also a folk singer.

My online class is almost over. It ends a week from next Monday.

Hope everyone is doing well. Joanne, I hope you're feeling better.

Lynn
Old 01-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #234  

Default Perfect! Had to share!

Some of you who've been here a while may have already heard this one but another poster on another thread used a quote this morning that I am adopting as my mantra. I just love it!!

"Being fat is hard, exercise is hard, dieting is hard. Pick your hard"

I told her I fully expect people in the grocery store to think I need to be committed when they see me in the aisles reading labels and muttering "pick your hard"
Old 01-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #235  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/140

Height: 5-10

Hi Everyone! Happy Thursday!

Good grief it's easy to get VERY behind if I miss a few days here. Busy busy thread!

Still grinding forward over here trying to ramp up the running so I don't look like a duck the next time there's a public race & so DH dosent 'outdo' me. I guess we do have a competetive streak in us at times. Goaling for a marathon in April. We'll see how that plays out.

Welcome Karen3 & Bonnie! Wonderful to have you here & look forward to your posts!

Joanne welcome home & what do you mean you went to Hawaii & came home sick? I'm so sorry! I'd be outside braving chilly winds & cold rain thinking that you were basking in warmth & having the time of your life. Okay, here's an idea. Get well & GO BACK! If I had any sense I'd go too.

Lynn I'm sorry to hear that the flat belly people don't want to work w/ type 2 diabetics (there's so many, you'd think that they would rethink this decision). From a medical perspective I'm not understanding their logic. Interesting about the soap on the bed thing, it can't hurt. How's that shoulder?

FREDA! Goal!!! Go you! Congratulations! Now that you've hit your goal, what's your new nonweight goal? It's been so long since I've been at goal I thought I would live vicariously through you for a while. So very happy for you!

Yoyo & Birgit I like your logic. The real science that I keep coming across in weight loss tells me that losing anywhere from a half pound to a pound a week is almost the max amount of FAT that a body can shed in that time span. It's healthy to look at how much fat that comes up to. You're right. The next time I'm in the grocery store I'll swing by the meat department & find some high fat thing over there that weighs a couple of pounds so I can say that much has come off this frame. It's not how fast we go, it's the direction we're headed. Congratulations!

Birget
, just being mindful of our old habits makes it a lot easier to develop new ones. I have trigger foods that can wreck my day, apparently you have trigger convenience stores. Any way you can change up the way you refuel & have your own healthy happy sack in the car? Good luck & whatever happens, looking forward to hearing from you when you get back home.

Zoe,
so glad to hear of your sister's successful surgery. Those kind would be spiritually jarring to me to stand by while someone I loved was in progress. May she have years & years of perfect health! How are you anyway?

Lyn, Florida? Have a great time! The thing with my homemade washing detergent stems from last year I was looking for constructive ways to cut costs & put the difference in the bank. One of those quests resulted in making my own laundry detergent from washing soda, borax powder & Fels Naptha soap then using vinegar in the rinse. The result is no dyes or fragrences added & four gallons of the stuff costs me about $2.00 to make leaving me with about 26 a month into the bank. Odd how the closer I get to retirement the more interested I'm becoming in tightening up the money leaks. My in laws think I'm crazy but that's okay.

Phyllis
I agree, I don't understand why this diet (which is insanely sensible) is off limits to a diabetic. Hope all is well for you. Enjoy the warmth, I'm starting to wish I were there, or in Hawaii.

Gayle! I wish your manager had thought out her review a little more carefully. In your profession she has a choice, does she want something done fast or without errors? Personally I understand an environment that constantly threatens your license if you fall below the perfect line. She sounds like she's torn between good nursing and an accountant somewhere. I suspect your work is very thoughtful & hope if I'm ever in a position of needing a nurse that I have someone just like you.

Work to do around here. Contemplating learning how to build a privacy fence my ownself for the backyard. That might keep me occupied for a while. Still planning our nightclub style Christmas Eve party. This weekend will be testing some finger foods on the family then filing away the results. Still running, still playing with Zumba in the living room.... life is short I'm busy.

If I missed you it wasn't intentional. Warm hugs to all the GG's everywhere!

Marylynn
Old 01-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #236  

Default Oops - correction to quote

OK - got so focused on the last phrase I messed it up. This is a copy/paste version of the quote:

"Being fat is hard. Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Pick your hard"
Old 01-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #237  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Afternoon you all...Thursday my day of errand running and ducking tempation. So far so good. Made big salad for lunch. Have this wonderful dressing. Sounds weird but is outstanding. Use the "4 Season" mixing jar. Fill bottom with vinegar, next line instead of water use sugarfree maple syrup(Smuckers) and the last area use cannola oil. Add package of "4 Season" powdered dressing...........shake and pour on salad or vegies so good tempted to eat by the spoonful!

Well figured out how/why the soap trick works. Spent the night with toe cramps. Everytime I woke up with one I automatically reached foot out for soap bar. That Stretched out the muscle and cramp subsided. That plus staying horizonally made a difference. Guess me Irish Lads disappeared.

After making a complete fool of myself last year. I have problem raising my right knee/leg high enough to swing over the U part of a girl's bike I found a German design and made one that the U is like 2" off the ground. So with weather cooling off have been biking around the neighborhood. With old bike I fell off 6 times with people watching when trying to dismount. Last time had an 18 wheel trucker blowing his horn in laughter. It wasn't pretty.
Time to bike.....Stay warm. karen3
Old 01-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #238  

Hi Again, just jumping in here for a min., in between things.

Birgit, Those road trips can be dangerous. I know, we visit my family a couple of times a year and it's 13 hours down and then back. Long time in the car with nothing to do. I have found that it helps to have a book on tape (casset) in the car. I usually get several from the library so I know that I am going to have one that I really like. It keeps me interested and takes my mind of the time. And the snacks too, like YoYo said, make sure you pack some fairly low cal things. maybe some popcorn that you make before you leave? The Fiber One bars are really good and fill me up. Lots of fiber, like 9 grams in one bar. And they have a new one out now, caramel. Haven't tried it yet but the other 2 are really good. But if it's mindless eating to kill time, the popcorn might be your best bet.

have a good trip, and remember, it's not all about the food. AND I will never again think of 5 lb. as anything other than 1laptop!
Old 01-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #239  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5 2

Hi Gang!
Lots of interesting subjects on this thread. I tried to scanned them all but once you get behind you can just forget it.
Phyllis, I lost a whole week of Flat Belly program after 's MIL flood, don't know If I mentioned it here but she flooded out her whole apartment and part of the next door neighbors. What a mess, she was washing out some underwear, left the water running and went back to bed. I do have the Flat Belly book but wouldn't bother getting it if I were you. You have access to all the information on-line except for the recipes.
I did get back on the program last Monday, started the 4 Day Anti-Bloat again. I'm on day 4 today, haven't seen my weight drop off like the first time (6 pounds lost). My weigh in day will be Monday so we'll see what happens. Are you registered under the same name? Bet you get confused when you see me registered as Bugsy. But that's my nickname that I've had for 58 years, Geeeeeeeez I'm getting old! I tried to register under that name here but they already had all kinds of versions of that name. I just registered under what my grandkids call me, Bobbi. I'll look for you, where do you hang out?
Lynn........I missed where you hurt your shoulder, were you skate boarding or something? I haven't check your challenges, how are they going and who's been the big winners?
I'm going to check into the recipe section now and see what's new and tasty.
See ya girls , Bobbi
Old 01-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #240  

Hi everyone.. ive been reading posts but not posting have been in a kinda after xmas slump..happens to me every year..so im hybernating with agood book..i admire all who are so committed to their programs and esp the exercise part..i swear im allergic to exercise..i need motivation (sigh) my wt's staying the same tho so thats a good thing..weathers been cold again.. my mom is now at my sisters,they have her all set up with hospice.. what a wonderful organization..shes got all the euipment she needs and caring people to help her with daily needs..im greatful..congrats to all those loosing,((((hugs))) rosey
Closed Thread