Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #121  

Height: 5' 8"

Default Anybody else ever have this problem?

Hi Ladies,

Hope you all had a super weekend!

I don't know all of you very well yet so a thousand pardons for not speaking directly to everyone.

Lynn - Don't worry about the wrong day thing - The brain is like a computer - when you get soooooo much information stored in it, it takes a little longer pull up the right file

I was bad on Saturday but it was ever so fun DH & I went to the Strip and played tourist and I (gasp) drank beer. Surprisingly though, this time I didn't berate myself, decide I need to learn how to communicate in oinks and use the slip-up as an excuse to give up all together. Told myself that one day of no-nos is not going to completely negate the other 6 days of healthy eating. Shook myself off and packed my hard boiled eggs, raw tomatos, and raw almonds for work.

Now, here is my problem - for the last, oh, 25 or 30 years I have been a one meal a day gal. Just dinner. This is obviously not working since I had to come find this web site I understand from all the articles I've read that, for metabolic health, you need to spread your caloric intake out over the course of the day. I am getting started in that direction and am also being diligent the amount of water I drink (I have never been good at getting all the water I should - 16oz in a day would be about usual). For breakfast I had one hardboiled egg. Midmorning snack was a small handful of about 10 raw almonds. The problem? I feel so stuffed I don't think I can eat the tomatos I brought for lunch. Not eating enough has just never been an issue for me. Can I be that full from the extra water? I haven't even had 4 servings yet. Do you think I am trying to make the adjustment too fast jumping in to breakfast (even if it is just one egg)? I'm having an argument with myself and the "old dog/new tricks" adage feels like it's getting the upper hand.

I'm hoping that with the experienced dieters and avid researchers in this string someone can give me a clue as to what may be going on here.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:16 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/140

Height: 5-10

Hi Everyone & Happy Monday!

Been tied up moving stuff around the house. Tired of my desk in the bedroom With DH's computer stuff & mine in there it looked like the cockpit of a 747, not at all relaxing. Forget snoring, try sleeping when monitors mysteriously pop on in the middle of the night thanks to a cat on the mouse or keyboard. I feel almost like a grownup now. Entire office & store in one room that no one else has any business in here but me. Woohoo! Peace at last!

Sorry, that was out loud wasn't it?

Welcome home Bobbi! So very glad to see you again & so very sorry to hear of your trials with your MIL. God bless you for being so nice anyway. I saw that diet in Prevention magazine & as a result have bumped up my monosaturated fats (almonds, olives & avocados for me) without any damage so far. Yum! Leet us know how it's working for you. I was downright impressed with the article but missed the television showing.

Welcome Yoyo! You live in a wonderful place for a decent walking program. The few times I've visited your city I thought it was a terrific place for distance walking. I saw your post about water & breakfast & was wondering if you are journaling your intake? There are a couple of decent sites that offer free online journaling. I'm enjoying fitday.com. Another thought, I would consider making sure you have a real breakfast that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 calories minimum to bump up the energy through the day. This thread seems to have a variety of women doing a variety of programs, each with our own success. You're going to see lots of good advice coming & going. (I just love these people, they're REAL) Very interested to hear of how it's going for you. Personally I've discovered, the hard way through years of doing plans B, C & so forth... that I'm better off counting calories & putting in workouts that give my tee shirts that 'plop factor' when it's all done. Hang tight & let us know how you're doing. Meanwhile WELCOME!

Karen! Hi! I love hearing about Ginger & Sissy. I'm still walking the boys between 1 & 2 miles a day & Rocky (the darker cinnamon one) is having pack leader issues. He's not fond of being led, at all. Thanks for the suggestion about the laundry basket for their toys. Right now they both have cardboard boxes in the kitchen (w/ blankets) & in my new 'office' with a heating pad in Furby's box. I know he's a male but he's our princess all the same. Stay warm over there & we're still sending vibes for a buyer for your home!

Zoe! Moving, no matter how you work it, bites! Make sure you can find the coffee pot & the job is half done already. Looking forward to the pics, your description should give me some inspiration over here. We've been in this place over a year & I've yet to figure out what to do with the windows, any of them. Glad to hear the C# is going well. Give DH a hug for us & remind him that Rik has no problems with any phone calls at all. If you've lost our watts nuimber,let me know & I'll pm you with that number.

Hi Lynn! If there were the thinnest sheen of what used to be snow that would be enough for me to reschedule a dental appointment. But then again, I'm native Texan. We really don't want to be out on slick roads with other native Texans who have no idea how to stop a pickup truck going 75 mph on the ice. It's ugly! Made me smile about the lost day you had. At least I'm in good company. Bobbi is talking about the same diet that's in the current Prevention magazine (I think it's on the shelves now) if not, you can find more details on their website. Any excuse to eat more avocados gets my attention. So far I havent GAINED, which is promising.

Actually, since bumping up the monosaturated fats, have lost another pound. Yipee. All I have to do is log more than 35 miles a week, write down every bite & maybe I'll lose two more before Easter!

ALERT ALERT!!!!! Just so everyone knows! DH (Rik) ran 10K at the Y yesterday on our long run! He's more surprised than anyone. There's a new movement of slow running that's coming alive out there led by John 'the Penguin' Bingham. He actually advocates running as slow as 3 mph. Rik's running is a little faster but he's so proud of himself, as he should be! He's actually agreed to do the Nashville half marathon with me in April! See? There is hope for old goats! He's proof!

Hey there Freda!
Isn't it cool to have clothes that are too big? Think about donating those too big clothes instead of keeping them. I'm getting mine out the door once they're hanging wrong so they can bless someone else & I don't have the option of going back to them. I'm starting to see what Lynn keeps talking about. We need to plan our maintenance NOW. I fear without planning, I'll gain it all back!

Gayle! How are you? Will the wedding be out of state? When will it be anyway? I'm sure you've already addressed these questions, I've been like a day late, dollar short & rearranging stuff here too. Finally unpacking a couple of stacks of boxes here too. Looks like we're all going to stay put eh? Hope you're doing well, keep me posted k?

Lyn, so nice to hear that you & dh hit the gym together. I think we should be more like you guys personally. We have the gym thing down pat but seem to have forgotten how to date otherwise. Now if it's Friday night & we want to go out he offers Cardio, Weights or just the sauna tonight? Sigh. I have got to get back to my search for decent dancing around here.

Meowee, Zoe & all others in the Northeast! How are you through this latest storm? The Noreaster is making the news down here in MS, that's impressive. I clearly remember the winter of 2004 in Boston & want to tell all my friends up there to stay warm & don't fall!

Everyone consider yourself hugged. I'm tired!

Marylynn

Last edited by Dulaneycat; 01-14-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:45 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodieterinvegas View Post
Hi Ladies,

Now, here is my problem - for the last, oh, 25 or 30 years I have been a one meal a day gal. Just dinner. This is obviously not working since I had to come find this web site I understand from all the articles I've read that, for metabolic health, you need to spread your caloric intake out over the course of the day. I am getting started in that direction and am also being diligent the amount of water I drink (I have never been good at getting all the water I should - 16oz in a day would be about usual). For breakfast I had one hardboiled egg. Midmorning snack was a small handful of about 10 raw almonds. The problem? I feel so stuffed I don't think I can eat the tomatos I brought for lunch. Not eating enough has just never been an issue for me. Can I be that full from the extra water? I haven't even had 4 servings yet. Do you think I am trying to make the adjustment too fast jumping in to breakfast (even if it is just one egg)? I'm having an argument with myself and the "old dog/new tricks" adage feels like it's getting the upper hand.

I'm hoping that with the experienced dieters and avid researchers in this string someone can give me a clue as to what may be going on here.
Sorry,

I don't have a clue. I've never known anyone who eats just one meal/day. If an egg and 10 almonds make you feel too full, there may be some medical problem. Have you seen a doctor about this?

Lynn
Old 01-15-2008, 07:49 AM   #124  

OK Bobbi & Marylynn, I'm picking up a copy of Prevention Magazine for this diet. I can't find the website. There are MANY "belly fat diet" sites in Google.
Not sure which is the correct one.

I hurt my arm yesterday - getting into the tub - I think I threw my shoulder out. I'm off to the gym this morning, but will have to stay away from the arm wt machines.

Today, my df and I are headed for a museum in Newark. I've never been there.

My class (that I'm teaching) is going well. Students are REALLY nice.

Take care everyone,

Lynn
Old 01-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #125  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . .

Things are all white and sparkly outside this morning . . . Winter is definitely back . . . trouble is, it's still snowing and the wind is just howling. I definitely got spoiled over the past week.

I read about that diet plan in the latest issue of Prevention -- sounds great except for the comments about olives being such a great food -- just me, I definitely do NOT like olives.

Anyway, better go and visit a few more 3FC places fairly quickly -- my power is feeling a wee bit 'flickery' this morning -- see you all later and hope you have great fun plans for the day everybody.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #126  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/140

Height: 5-10

Ouch Lynn! Hope that shoulder/arm gets to feeling better soon!

Stay warm Meowee, looks a lot like winter on the map in your direction.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #127  

Mornin' all, Just got back from taking my grandson to school. I was surprised this morning to see the white stuff on the ground and still falling. I knew they said it was going to snow but they have said that a few days this week and it didn't. I should have known that sooner or later they would get it right. One good thing, it is covering up the ugly mud and bare lawns. I just hope it doesn't snow too much, I have to work tomorrow.

I got bad news yesterday. A friend called and said that another one of the nurses I work with son had been killed in a motor cycle accident. And I went to the bank and found out that my favorite teller had died also. Sunday there was an accident in front of the hospital at the time we were going to work. A jogger had stepped in front of a car and was killed. I'm not sure if they are calling it an accident or sucide yet. That makes 3 this week. I'm terribly supersticious, so that should be the end of that.

I got on the scales this morning and I had gained a pound!! Now, how could that have happened? I have stayed on the number of calories I can have, not went over one time. Bummer!!! I should only weigh myself once a week. Daily weighing is not acurate and just bums you out if it doesn't say what you want it to say.

YoYo, Don't worry about having a beer. Just count it and move on. If you are going to be in a situtation like that just save enough points or calories to have a beer if you want. This is about living the good life, not doing without everything we want. I don't understand the one meal a day thing. I am always hungry in the morning. Butmy mom says she can't eat anything untill around noon. Different types I guess. I do wish 1 hard boiled egg filled me up like that. But you are slowly making changes and that's a good thing.

Marylynn, I have already started planning maintenance. That has always been my big problem anyway. One of the things i've decided to do is reward myself for every month I stay the same. I got a pandora charm bracelet for Christmas and i have only 2 charms so far. I am going to buy a charm a month for not gaining. May not work for everyone, but I think it will for me. That, and comming here and confessing!

lyn, I'm adding my name to the list of people who are picking up the magazine for the abs diet. I hope your shoulder is ok and you enjoy your day at the museum.

Meowee, We're getting the snow too. We must be having the same weather. I got spoiled with all the nice weather last week too. I love olives. I won't find that part of the diet a problem at all. Only the green ones though, don't like the black.

Karen, I tried keeping my dogs toys in a box and he would pull them all out and arrange them on his blanket. He has a place for everything. If I take his blanket up to vacuum, he will be trying to carry his toys back before I am finished. He doesn't like us touching them unless we are playing with him.

Everyone, have a great day, and stay warm. Freda
Old 01-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #128  

Default Candy Toss!

Mornin',

I just love listening to all you guys talk about the snow. I grew up in it and lived in Tahoe for 5 years before moving here. I never have to shovel again (or play slip-n-slide on the highway).

Boy do I feel in control today - there was a half a box of chocolate candy (creme centers - yummy my fav) left in the cupboard from the holidays. Did I eat any? Did I say "we can't waste this"? nope - this morning I tossed them without a second thought. Didn't even eat just one not even a nibble. I do think a lot of this newfound power and control is coming from you guys, my new buddies, who I can tell I tossed candy and know you won't just roll your eyes and say "big deal" so many many thanks!!

Lynn - Have seen a doc. 2 in fact. First one told me I ddn't feel well 'cause I was fat. Made me feel like $&*% so I ate less and less and less but still gained weight. Then the sweet little doc said "well it must be monopause, get used to it" and wanted to perscribe anti depressants - I assume so that I would just no longer care that I was fat. Found a new doctor quick. This new one is wonderful. Told me I was bordering on malnutrition (even though I was way overweight?!?) and put me on a potent multi-vitamin. I really like this new guy - he is an MD but refers to himself as an "aesthetic physician" meaning he really is licensed to practice medicine and can write perscriptions and all but leans really heavily toward an almost holistic approach. He thinks I may have a "sensitivity" to something I'm eating. Had me spend 2 months writing down everything I put in my mouth, right down to every piece of gum and any little tastes I took while cooking dinner. I also had to document how I felt each day - tired, manic, energetic, down in the dumps, etc. Nice guy let me slide until after the holidays but now we are eliminating things. Starting with the really obvious. For the next 8 weeks I am to have no processed sugar or sugar substitutes - brown sugar or honey is so-so as long as it's at least 5th on the ingredient list but I'm supposed to avoid those too if at all possible. He told me not to worry about counting calories or carbs just yet - but I do have to keep writing down everything I put in my mouth which sort of keeps me honest (and trying to shop for foods with no sugar has to be burning calories - all that lifting, reading, and returning to the shelf )

Freda - I believe in that "3s" thing too - hope we're right and no more bad news for you.

Oops - I'm writing this from work and duty calls. I'll try and check back later but if I don't make it, have a fabulous, fit Tuesday.

Kim
Old 01-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #129  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodieterinvegas View Post

Lynn - Have seen a doc. 2 in fact. First one told me I ddn't feel well 'cause I was fat. Made me feel like $&*% so I ate less and less and less but still gained weight. Then the sweet little doc said "well it must be monopause, get used to it" and wanted to perscribe anti depressants - I assume so that I would just no longer care that I was fat. Found a new doctor quick. This new one is wonderful. Told me I was bordering on malnutrition (even though I was way overweight?!?) and put me on a potent multi-vitamin. I really like this new guy - he is an MD but refers to himself as an "aesthetic physician" meaning he really is licensed to practice medicine and can write perscriptions and all but leans really heavily toward an almost holistic approach. He thinks I may have a "sensitivity" to something I'm eating. Had me spend 2 months writing down everything I put in my mouth, right down to every piece of gum and any little tastes I took while cooking dinner. I also had to document how I felt each day - tired, manic, energetic, down in the dumps, etc. Nice guy let me slide until after the holidays but now we are eliminating things. Starting with the really obvious. For the next 8 weeks I am to have no processed sugar or sugar substitutes - brown sugar or honey is so-so as long as it's at least 5th on the ingredient list but I'm supposed to avoid those too if at all possible. He told me not to worry about counting calories or carbs just yet - but I do have to keep writing down everything I put in my mouth which sort of keeps me honest (and trying to shop for foods with no sugar has to be burning calories - all that lifting, reading, and returning to the shelf )

Kim

Hi Kim,

After I wrote to you this morning, I realized that I do know about people who eat once a day - Buddhist Monks - they eat once a day & eat low protein/vegetarian diets.

I think that your doctor sounds like a "keeper." Glad to hear you're getting medical advice.

Lynn
Old 01-15-2008, 07:48 PM   #130  

Default Opposite today

Okay - so yesterday I was stuffed after one egg and a couple of almonds. Today I was ravenous! Kept checking the clock to see if it was time to eat. Chewing ice and drinking water trying to make tummy shut up. Called the doc to check on something else and casually commented (don't want him to think I'm obsessing). He said not to worry. My body is probably having a little tantrum about me trying to make it adjust to the new foods and eating schedule (I'm thinking Del Taco withdrawals ). Said as long as I am not feeling naseous or light headed, and being diligent about the vitamins, I don't have to force myself to eat but should keep gradually making the change.
Here's to health!!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #131  
Birgit

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6'0"

Default Got room for one more?

Hello to all of you from beautiful Vermont. Is it OK with you all if I just jump right in here?

YoYo, your doctor sounds great. Sensitive and caring, and apparently he listens! I'm jealous. I have not been able to find anyone here with whom I can work confidently on my weight problem.

I think what you are experiencing (feeling stuffed one day and starving the next) is plain and simple adjustment. My guess is, since you are overweight, that when you ate your one meal a day in the past, it was probably a huge one, right? So now you are being asked to eat in a different way, changing your pattern - and your body doesn't know what to make of it. Just stick with it, Girlfriend. Be patient, and your appetite is bound to adjust eventually. And keep drinking that water - it really does make you feel "fuller." Besides, it's good for the skin.

Freda, I am so sorry to hear about the three recent deaths in your life. Guess I'm a bit superstitious too, cuz I do believe in those "3's." I hope this is the last of it for you for a good long time, and gosh, my heart goes out to your coworker whose son was killed. How horrible!

I laughed when I read about your dog's insistence on keeping his toys "just so." I have a little Chihuahua-Terrier mix, whose interior decorating style differs vastly from my own. I feel that his pillow should stay inside his crate, and he doesn't. In fact, he believes that one of the sofa cushions would look better in there... and apparently is more comfortable. I just wish he'd make up his mind about. I'd happily let him have the sofa cushion, if it would stop the battle - but noooo... I think if he had his way, he'd stuff the entire sofa in there! His toys, on the other hand, are all over the house. No effort on my part to keep them contained meet with his approval. I've given up - it's best to just pick my battles.

Day 2 of turning over a new leaf, and so far so good. Getting on the computer and "talking" with all of you at night helps. Sure beats standing in front of the fridge, deciding what to eat - doesn't it? Thank you all for "being there," and I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

Birgit
Old 01-16-2008, 09:18 AM   #132  

Good Morning Everyone,

Welcome Birgit!

OK, after reading the Prevention magazine article about reducing belly fat (Thanks Bobbi & Marylynn), I've decided that I'm going to try this new way of eating - basically, eat 1600 calories/day (4 meals of 400 calories each); and eat monosaturated fat at each meal - seeds/nuts/olives/dark chocolate/canola or olive oil.

My concern is upping my calories to 1600 - right now, I'm eating around 1200/day - but I do want to increase that over the next few months. So, here's my plan. My new Elliptical gets delivered a week from Friday. Beginning on Friday, I will be increasing my exercise from around 30 min/day to around 60 min/day. On that same day, I will start the new way of eating.

I'll measure my waist on that Friday & add a weekly waist measurement to my Challenge post.

I'll let you know what happens.

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 01-16-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #133  
Debbie

S/C/G: 296/218/160

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone. I've been MIA and will explain in a minute. Welcome Birgit! Is it Birgit or Brigit?? One day I typed my name with 2 Xs instead of Bs - go figure!! Sure, just jump right in!!

Zoe - about the snoring. Has your husband had a sleep study?? I have apnea so bad - well not as bad as it used to be when I weigh nearly 100 lbs more - but what I learned about snoring scared me to death. Almost literally!! The amount of oxygen that gets cut off to the brain and organs is scary, so he should definitely see his dr. Does he stop breathing at all when he sleeps??

Kim - my brother is a once-a-day eater, and his dr has told him over and over how bad that is for him. His one meal would be huge, and he would have blood sugar fluctuations because of it. But he just won't listen to anyone. I've asked him why he eats like that, and he doesn't really have a good answer, but he is very, very overweight. He's a lot older than I am, and I really worry about it. I think journaling everything you eat is a great idea. I do that, too, on the WW site. It does keep you honest!!

Marylynn - congrats to your man!! What an accomplishment for him, and I can so hear the pride in your voice!! That's just really special for both of you.

Freda - I'm not superstitious at all, but it is so stressful to have to deal with so many things at one time. Did it affect your eating?? I'm a big stress eater, so I was just wondering how you handle it.

What an unnerving time I've had. I told y'all about the light pole that was replaced behind our house. Well, when they put it in last Thursday, they put it in the sewer line. Not the light company's fault - the city guy mismarked the sewer line. What a mess I woke up to on Monday morning in my bathroom!! And it's still not fixed. Well, they've got it open, and the light company has moved the pole, but the line needs to be repaired for about 10ft either side of where the pole was put. Problem - my elderly neighbor who has dementia, has a shed on her property right over where they need to replace the line. It has to be moved. She doesn't have the money, etc., and the people who are supposed to care for her (family) evidently don't care enough to see to it. The city used to do stuff like that for folks, but because of a couple of frivolous lawsuits, they don't do it anymore, and this widow woman catches the fallout. I have a big, gaping hole in my backyard, and a sewer line that's iffy until it gets repaired. Happy days

The short version of a long story - Beavis and the Buttheads is how I refer to the man and teenage sons who used to live next door. They moved and rented out the house, but they got kicked out of where they were living, had a confrontation with the people living in the house next door, and may be moving back in next door to us! Quelle nightmare! We actually have a police lieutenant assigned to us because of this guy and his kids. Well, Beavis actually got picked up by police Friday night - his 4th DUI. He also got charged with felony evading and felony endangerment of a child cause one of his kids who was in the car is a minor. The guy bonded out Sunday morning. How does somebody with that kind of record and these new charges get out?? I'm trying to keep control, but this man terrifies me.

Consequently, I was popping stuff into my mouth all weekend and saw the 2-lb loss I was working on turn into a maintain for the week. Help me out with tips for controlling stress eating, will ya??

Lynn - forgot to say that I frequently don't know what day it is! My husband is a shift worker.....sometimes my nights are my days!!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #134  
Birgit

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6'0"

Hi Debbie,
No - my name actually is Birgit, not Brigit. Pronounced like "get beer" in reverse. I was born and raised in Germany (moved to the USA when I was 12), where the name is as common as "Jennifer" (or Debbie ) is here.

I feel for your septic troubles, and the problem you're having with your neighbors. I am a Property Manager, and I often struggle with the septics in many of our properties, and I often have to help my residents resolve issues with their neighbors. It can be extremely stressful!

But it's not worth eating over (I know you know this). Eating when you're stressed out just defers and then multiplies the stress. How about journaling, instead? Or sitting down at your computer and writing to us instead? I'm new to this site, but that is my plan for dealing with those inevitable stressful situations...

And good morning to the rest of you. Hope everyone's day is going well.

Birgit
Old 01-16-2008, 01:59 PM   #135  

Default Milk Thistle?

Good morning ladies,

Hi Birgit and welcome. I'm kind of new here too but this is a great place to hang out. The ladies are really supportive and caring. Doctors can be soooo unhelpful can't they? See if you have any doctors in your area that are "aesthetic physicians". They are licensed MDs (so most insurances cover the visits) but they honestly seem more interested in helping than in squeezing in as many patients as possible so they can pay off their student loans faster.

Ooh poor Debbie! I grew up in a rural area where we had septic tanks and in the winter, when the ground was saturated, the leech line couldn't drain properly which caused our downstairs bathroom used to flood with ick if you flushed the upstairs toilet so I really feel for your mess. Thank heaven's I've never had to deal with scary neighbors though (nosey sounds downright pleasant after hearing your story). I'm sorry your brother won't listen to his doctor (or you) but this kind of bad habit is almost like an eating disorder (or maybe it is an eating disorder) and all the pleading, arguing, and harping isn't going to make him change - I know, I spent a lot of years telling everyone who tried to help me with suggestions that "I've tried that and I just gain more weight". And it was true, if I added lunch or breakfast I gained like mad but that's because what I was adding wasn't healthy (salad good - processed, bottled dressing by the truckload bad). It's going to take him making the decision because he cares about himself - before we can make lifestyle changes we have to make attitude changes. Maybe the best thing you can do for him is keep to going forward with your healthy lifestyle goals and when he sees how fit and happy you are becoming he'll want to follow suit. And, maybe see if you can help him find a site like this for guys so he knows he's not alone.

OK, what I really needed to ask was - Has anyone tried Milk Thistle? That "other thing" I mentioned calling the doc about was results of a liver panel. Turns out my liver is stressed and fat (so is the rest of me so why am I surprised?) I am working on developing a "non-alcoholic fatty liver". Not advanced so I have a really good shot at keeping it from progressing into full blown liver disease (studies say there's no such thing as reversal but let's try to prove them wrong ). Sooo I did some reading about fat livers and one of the recommended herbs for liver health is Milk Thistle. Just wondered if anyone has tried it. Doc says it's OK to give it a shot but start with low dose and work up to avoid possible side effects (not harmful ones but can cause frequent bowel movements - I might have to poop in public restrooms! I shudder to think! ). Low and slow -thank goodness age has given me a better handle on that instant gratification thing Other interesting thing - One of the symptoms of a fatty liver is persistent weight gain even when on a reduced calorie diet. I need to call that first doc and tell him to jump in the lake, menopause my patootie! This is serious but I feel much better now that I have a reason for the fat happening - still totally my fault for prior bad acts like mega doses of acetaminophin back in the cramp days (gone but not forgotten ), crash diets, and we won't even talk about the 70s ......... But at least it's not because I'm just a gluttonous piggy.

Lynn - I haven't read that article yet (going to find it after I leave here) but the increase in monosaturated fats sounds a lot like the liver health diet I'm working toward and, one of the other symptoms of a stressed liver is a chubby tummy. Wonder if there's a whole slew of peeps out there with underfunctioning livers and that's why it works so well for them. My apologies if I'm confusing you with another poster, but did you mention somewhere that you are diabetic? If you're on insulin you might want to double check with your doctor - from what I've been reading, improved liver function can have a big effect on insulin resistance so diabetics are supposed to have their doses monitored closely for a while.

Happy, Healthy Hump Day to all

Kim
Closed Thread