Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 07:15 AM   #46  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Lily, The news of the bridge collapse was the lead item discussed on the local news last night. It was "strange" because ever since the storm, nothing but Katrina news has been the lead story every night (actually about 3/4 of our news on every local station is about the storm every night for the last 2 years..then a couple of minutes of national news..if we want national news, we have to wait for the national stations). I can't believe it's been almost 2 years since my "normal" world fell apart. The very last of my family (husband's sister and BIL) are now leaving...moving to Dallas this weekend and my heart just broke again on the news that they had decided to go also. They sold their ruined house about 8 months after the storm after gutting it and lived with their daughter's family since then...they are all going to Dallas together.

The bridge collapse is such a horrible thing to have occured. My heart goes out to families that are now just "waiting" for loved ones to be found or to find out where they are etc. It's an overwhelming "cloud" of a feeling I remember well.

Last edited by femmecreole; 08-03-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:28 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Default Friday - August 3

Good Morning Everyone,

I've decided to "steal" an hour to get back up-to-date here.

About peanutbutter - I use only Simply Jiff peanutbutter - eat a Tbsp a day. It's lo-carb; lo sodium; 8 g of protein.

Hi Linda (Meowee), I've read all your apologies about the thread's name change. I know you were just trying to help. As my father used to say - "Thnks be to God it wasn't me."
I had the same problem with hot flashes as you - stopped the HRT & they descended on me. 100 or more each day and VERY intense. I tried everything. They lasted about 10 years. Stopped last year - not totally, but now they are infrequent & not so intense.

Welcome Oakridge. One-a-Day vitamins puts out a daily vitamin for people on lo-carb diets. It's called Carb-Smart. Here's what I've been doing to boost my metabolism - a diet that's 50/30/20 (fat, protein, carbs); weight lifting; eating 3 meals + 3 snacks/day; and drinking 6-8 glasses of water/day.

Hi Heidi, hope you have a great vacation.

Welcome Ali, see my post to Oakridge (above) about what I do to jog my weight loss. Congratulations on getting back to walking. You wrote, "I am sort of floundering in the diet dept. I seem to have lost my enthusiasm." I'm going to PM you some ideas for "getting back on track."

Hi Lyn, you wrote, "I guess when I don't track what I eat I forget what I've eaten and end up eating more." When I got serious about breaking the 160 lb plateau, I started weighing and measuring what I was eating - I always keep track of calories/fat/carbs/protein. But, I had been underestimating the portions. Of course, that meant my calories/fat/carbs/protein counts had been off. Amazing the way we can fool ourselves!

Hi Trish, I don't know if any college offers any music courses online, but I love the online environment. I also love school - taking courses or teaching courses is really one of my pleasures (no matter how much I complain when I'm teaching).

Hi Margaret, about the peanutbutter. I've had lo-carb vanilla yogurt + a Tbsp of peanutbutter (as a snack about 2 hrs after dinner) every night for the past 4 months. Helps me.
I LOVED Hairspray. I had seen the play a few months ago. My SIL's son is the set designer & manager for a company that puts on this show in various places. Right now, he's in Japan with the show. I'm anxious to hear how Japanese audiences respond to the play. I loved it bc it brought back so many memories. Plus, I love musicals - Harispray is a typical musical - I think that they often oversimplify life, but make a point through song and dance.
I'm so HAPPY that your family is safe.

Hi Paula, Congratulations on the Jazzercise class. When I get back from MD, I'm going to join some of the classes at my new gym.

Hi LindaD, Congratulations on the great blood work results! I pick up my blood sugar test results today. Sorry about the curvature of the spine. Sounds like you have a good doctor. I actually heard about the warm meals years ago from a WW lecturer. Cooked veggies & fruit - instead of raw - allow your body to use more of the fiber & retain fewer of the carbs.
I am actually following her recommendations pretty closely. Except for the calories - I'm averaging 1,000/day.
The pumpkin muffins sound delicious - unfortunately, too many ingredients I can no longer eat. Enjoy!
See my post to Margaret about my SIL's son.

Hi Zoe, you wrote, "...as for 3 tablespoons of wheat pasta or flatbread or black or kidney beans or soy or lima beans, well I just wouldn’t be able to restrict myself that much, or I’d end up on an all-out binge within a week or two." If you add a bunch of fat - polyunsaturated/monosaturated - the restriction on the wheat/beans wouldn't make you hungry. It's actually pretty amazing.
BTW - I tried those Flat-Outs you were all talking about. I had a half. Popped my blood sugar right up. The only bread product I can eat is lo-carb bread.

Hi Karen, did you look at the photos of my grandsons? Take a look at the end of the July thread. See if they still look like yours.

Hi Rhonda, hope the CAT scan results are good. My last CAT scan showed "masses" that resulted in a lot of stress, multiple doctor visits, and an end result of "no problems." So, even if the CAT scan finds something - it's not necessarily a problem.
One of our other members - Theresa (Littlered) also works at a nursing home.
Congratulations on NOT eating those cookies. Doing any scrapping? I'm taking my stuff down to MD - I told my great-niece to take hers. Hoping to get an album I'm working on finished down there.

Hi Bobbi, I'm so sorry about all the stress with your MIL. Know that we love you & are sending you all of our best wishes.

Hi Cat, Hmmmm - if I can find a lo-carb fudgesicle, I'll try that. I know that they now have SF Cool Whip. I know just how you felt when you hit success with your genealogy. My DD & I spent some time in archives in Philly & NYC - it's a blast when you hit "gold."
I just read your shrimp remoulade sauce recipe - I could actually do that one. I'll PM my recipe to you.

Hi Phyllis, I hope you LOVE your dream condo. Be sure to take photos so we can see. In one way, having online friends is great - doesn't matter where we move, we will still have each other.
Congratulations on fitting into clothes. I LOVE that - better than scale readings any day!

Hi Joanne, your post just helped me with a problem I've been grappling with about our trip to England (in November). What will I do about all the fish and chips - I can just take the batter off - duh! Thank you.

Hi Lily, I'm so glad you are safe. Sorry for your city's losses. Was this a bridge that you use?

OK - so it took an hour and a half - not an hour! It was DEFINITELY worth it to catch up with all of you. Where's Theresa? Where's Gary?

Today, I'm going to try to get everything done for home and class so that I can go down to MD tomorrow. If I don't get it all done today, I'll go down on Sunday.
I'll be able to be in touch next week, bc I have to take my laptop to get online for my course.

I hope everyone has a Happy and Healthy day,

Lynn
Old 08-03-2007, 08:49 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

Ouch- I'm hurting a little this morning. Not as bad as I thought I would. I think I'll go on Monday and officially join the Jazzercise class. I wish it were part of the gym, but they rest space from the gym. Maybe when I get thinner I'll consider joining the gym too and do some of their classes as well. The spinning classes always look like fun. Right now I'm trying to pay off the credit cards so even the Jazzercise is an expense I probably shouldn't take on.

Yesterday was a good day. I ate well & I exercised. I'm still working on getting the water in. With 90 degree temps I should really have a problem with that.

I just had my oatmeal for breakfast and I'm going to take my shower. I might try to get a walk in before it get any hotter. I know I should shower after the walk, but I like to wash my hair and refreshen up before I got out in public. If needed I can always jump in the shower again when I get back from the walk.

Lily- I'm glad you are safe. I've been watching the news and feel for all the people that have lost family and friends.

Lynn- I think I'm the one you are thinking about when you asked about your grandson's photo. My grandson Brendan is the one that I thought looked like him. The photos you posted doesn't look as much like him as the other one you posted when we first started the Golden Girls. Of course, Brendan now had orange hair. His other grandma was trying to give him streaks and messed it up so ended up having to do his whole head. It's growing out, so now he has brown roots.

Ok off to the shower. Have a good day.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:48 AM   #49  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

G’morning all you lovely GOLDEN GIRLS ...I took today - and Monday - off, and we’re planning to head up to the beach later on this afternoon. We’ll find ourselves a place to stay, have supper, take a walk along the water, and then have all day tomorrow and Sunday to enjoy the sun - and BREEZE off the water - without dying from the heat, plus catch a little color. (WILL wear sunblock, Lynn ) Then we’ll have all day Monday to catch up on stuff here at home and settle back in before going back to work (ugh) on Tuesday.
Jo-annie, I’m so glad that you and your mom had a good day together. Glad, too, that she’s glad about what’s being done with the old family home. In reading what you were saying - and how you were feeling - about making her happy, I found myself thinking about daughters and their relationships with their mothers, and oddly, identified with your mother for a few moments as I was reading your description of your time with her. Your desire to make her happy, and your pleasure at doing so - and the difficulty, sometimes, in doing so. I couldn’t help but wonder if my daughters - or more specifically, my youngest daughter, whom I see the most of, and am really closest to - doesn’t find herself trying her hardest to please me, and feeling that it’s difficult (or close to impossible?) to do so? In reading your perceptions of the day and your mom in general, I found myself identifying both with you and with your mom - suddenly seeing from both perspectives - and was struck by the inherent awkwardness that seems to accompany growing older and being done with “raising” your children in our contemporary western culture. I have not had to face the difficulties of dealing with an aging parent because my parents were in their forties when I was born. My sister and brother are 12 and 14 years older than I am. My father died suddenly at 69 of a massive heart attack, but had been active and perfectly healthy (or so he appeared) until then. My mother lived longer - into her eighties - but my sister was living in Florida, and my mother sold the old family place up here and bought herself a home down there. So the brunt of dealing with an aging parent fell to my sister rather than to me. I have difficulty seeing MYSELF as an “aging parent”, and owing to more contemporary standards, in my sixties, I am probably more vigorous and physically active than my mother was at my age. Younger-thinking, as well. And ALSO opinionated, stubborn, and overly critical, no doubt, of society-at-large...and it doesn’t help, I suppose, that I came of age in an era of questioning, critiquing, challenging authority and demanding accountability from those who presume to “lead”. In short (or long - I DO seem to just run on and on at every opportunity, don’t I?) I really dread the day when I can no longer make my own decisions/choices, and cannot live autonomously and independently. I suspect that it would/will make me quite angry and frustrated, and that anyone trying to “take care of me” will be greatly challenged. I don’t want to be in that place, and my suspicion is that nobody does. If my health is impaired - if I need regular medical attention - that will ALSO really pi** me off, because in general, I think of the medical profession as a network of leeches, profiting from people’s suffering. Maybe more than the medical profession, I should be more appropriately blaming the HMO’s and gargantuan pharmaceutical companies who have pushed costs up so astronomically, but by the same token, doctors practicing in these United States (I can’t speak for outside of the US, Jo-annie) DO enjoy a pretty nice lifestyle at the expense of their patients. And of course I’m speaking in general...clearly there are some medical professionals who practice quite unselfishly, and with very needy populations. Just not the majority.
So, as you can see, these are issues that I’ve given some considerable thought to, and being who I am, I keep my medical appointments to a minimum, and subscribe to the “what you don’t know can’t hurt you” theory of maintaining well-being. Maybe it could more accurately be described as the “what you don’t accept, or refuse to OWN” can’t hurt you. Except, of course, this theory may not be fool-proof, and I MAY, eventually, have to face my humanity and mortality just like everybody else. I don’t envy my daughter - and my other children - the experience of dealing with their mother’s thoroughly ungraceful and “kicking and screaming” journey into old age.
Blah. See what happens when I have too much time on my hands?
Of course, I’ve followed along with Paula’s experience in finding suitable care for her dad, and Bobbi’s difficulties in getting her MIL into the appropriate setting, and the fact that so many of us baby boomers seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place - some of us with college-age kids and all of the associated expense and emotional upheaval PLUS on the other end of the spectrum, an aging parent, or parents-plural to deal with - well, we just seem to be subjected to HIGH levels of stress, don’t we? (Not to even mention George Bush being in the White House - I won’t go there, or I’ll be writing into tomorrow morning). And then there’s our own aging process to come to grips with. Whew!
Good thing we’re all getting healthier and more physically fit: we NEED to be!
Oh my goodness. How terrible about the bridge collapse! I'm glad you're safe, Lily! I worry that it won’t be too long before this country just deteriorates completely...and we’ll all revert to living in tribes and running about in loincloths hunting down our food and rubbing two sticks together to create a cooking fire. THEN, what will we Golden Girls do to communicate? Send up smoke signals, I suppose!

I wish you all a wonderful and relaxing weekend!

TTFN,

Z
Old 08-03-2007, 10:21 AM   #50  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning GOLDEN GIRLS & GOLDEN GARY . . .

Boy, I am running late this morning . . . well, actually, just late getting here . . . I have been busy designing and trying out a new crocheted slipper style. Strange, but when it gets really really hot I start thinking about how cold my feet and ankles will feel come January or February. Actually, I think it's just an excuse to sit still more. Another scorcher of a day and the humidity is back up to the astronomical levels. Once again, not one of my better nights for sleep, so I feel a bit draggy already. Oh well. Just like the weather, this too will pass.

Here's a cute little article I came across about sleep apnea . . . pretty sure I suffer from it . . . sometimes I snore so loudly, I wake myself up.

http://www.dukediet.com/publicsite/n...?issueid=28312

Guess I'd better get a move on, gang. Hope everybody has a really great day and, for those of you with a long weekend on the go -- we do in Atlantic Canada, too -- hope it is terrific. See you soon . . .
Old 08-03-2007, 12:21 PM   #51  
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
I really dread the day when I can no longer make my own decisions/choices, and cannot live autonomously and independently. I suspect that it would/will make me quite angry and frustrated, and that anyone trying to “take care of me” will be greatly challenged.
I was just talking to my youngest son's girlfriend about that the other day...what becomes of us when we can no longer care for ourselves. Daddy died 9 months after Katrina and my Mother (almost 82) spends the winters here and the rest of time in North Carolina with my sister (a nurse). I don't even want to think of life without her. We have never been this far apart before..she was always an hour away. Before the storm, I was the one closest to them and could get to them quickly in an emergency and my sister would come when Daddy was in the hospital to make sure the meds. were doing their jobs. After the storm, she had full responsibility when they went to North Carolina and I felt so bad that I could not do more for her and them.

Anyway, back to the conversation with the girl friend (who I just adore and she loves me too) I was telling her that it's something you really don't think about when you are young and all in love, but before you marry into a family you have to make sure you love the parents as much as you love the boyfriend or girlfriend and you have to ask yourself "Do I love this person enough to know that I may one day have to change their diapers and care for them when no one else will?" I told her that it was really important and even if she and Beau didn't stay together and she ends up with someone else, she needs to think about that. I told her that she may be the one to one day have to take care of me. I would have to love her enough to let her change my diapers and she would have to love me enough to do it. Thank Gawd my first husband and I are divorced. I wouldn't change my ex MIL's diapers if you paid me. On the other hand, my present MIL and My own Mama...it would be an honor to care for them.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:30 PM   #52  
Moxiesd

S/C/G: 235/175/155

Hello Golden Girls

It's been a trying day. I was at the Dr. office for a itchy patch on my back. I don't think he helped much. If the "freeze" doesn't work, I'm back in 3 weeks for a skin cancer check.

Lily....the bridge is a very scary thing. I thought I was rather calm about it, until I started getting calls from my (add any number of combinations)....SIL asking where so & so were, no one has heard from them and we've been trying for hours. I started to panic....finally I heard from someone who had heard from them and they are still on dry land. So terrible.

Linda: John Travolta was eerie....I thought he handled the dancing great, but the rest of it was for the most part irritating. The Cd of the musical would be great.

Pal: Congratulations for avoiding the cookie/frosting mouth combination. That would be a very hard one to overcome.

Ali: Everyday is a new day to get back with the program. Everyone blows it from time to time....not important....just "turn around at the next available opportunity" and climb back on the wagon. One technique that helps me after I've had some very bad days is to use some time at the end of the day to go over the events of the day and ask myself what I could have done differently. You can come up with some "saving" scenarios to try out the next time you have to blow it. Also the next morning as I am getting out of bed I repeat "I am on program today" several times. With every diet busing idea that comes into your head scream back "I AM ON PROGRAM TODAY". Good luck....we are waiting to hear how you got through this!!

Hellos to Theresa, Trish, Cat, Joanne, Phyllis, Karen, Lyn, Meowee, Paula, Lynn, Zoe, & June.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello GG's!!

We sure enjoyed having the grandkids last night but now I am waiting for the sheets to get dry and then ready to make the bed again! I waited until late this afternoon after "Mom and Dad" picked them up before stripping the beds in case someone wanted to come and see the house. Of course, no one came!! But we did show the 5th wheel twice today and there is someone who is supposed to come tomorrow and he has called twice on it!!

Lynn, I did look at the photos of your grandsons and they do look a lot like mine!! Of course, that means that we both have very HANDSOME grandsons!! My Travis, has ears of his Great-grandfather(my Dad) and kids have teased him so bad about them. He has let his hair grow out pretty long but after meeting us and seeing pictures of my Dad he doesn't feel so bad. Kids can be so mean!!

Bobbi, good to hear from you. But sorry to hear about your mil. I know that is one of the reasons why I'm wanting to get back to MO. asap. Right now my younger sister is doing all the caregiving of my Dad. He is living there with them and my brothers are pretty good about coming and taking him places on the weekend but I want to be back there with them!

Lily, glad to know that you are safe and sound. That has to be a terrible ordeal for so many people to be dealing with. So Very Sad.

Wunderpal, YAY!! For not eating any cookies-- That would be so hard!! Congrats!!

Hi Ali, I am having trouble also getting back on track --- I just have to make up my mind and start doing it-- I was doing so good before and just have to get back into a routine.. Guess we need to find that So tomorrow is a new day and I plan on making it my new beginning!

Paula, The jazzercise sounds like it would be so much fun. I have checked into that before and found out the closest place for me would be about 35 miles from here!! I think if we EVER get moved to MO. though I want to try that.

Zoe, I printed out the fiber one meatloaf recipe and I want to try that soon. It sounds so good. And I really remember the traffic back there when I lived there--- scared me!! We lived in W. Peabody and I worked at the Peabody Industrial Park at Mutual Fire Insurance. I did not like Rt. 128 at all!!

Cat, LindaD, Trish, Lyn and anybody else that I might have missed Hello!!

Gary-- where have you been the last few nights???

Have a good evening! Karen
Old 08-04-2007, 12:14 AM   #54  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Thanks everyone for the kind words and having been there. I am so thankful for having two brothers and two sisters that all helped out with my mom and dad when we went thru this with them. But unfortunately, my hubby is an only child and we are doing this all by ourselves. What a pain in the butt! When I wake up in the morning and think about driving into town, I want to puke. We have lost our summer out here in the country, I have more weeds growing in my flower gardens than ever, our huge garden is going to waste. My many tomatoes are rotting on the vine, we just don't have the time or energy when we get home to harvest them. O.K. Now I've got that off my chest, how is everyone else doing. I apoligize for not keeping up with our Golden Girls thread. I didn't even know about Gary, hey Gary, who are you? I have probably put on 8 pounds in the last month, we're eating fast foods everyday, a big no-no. But we are just so boggles by all the work of putting 60+ years of household junk in boxes, cleaning out the garage, attic, old papers that have MIL social security on everything. The auctioneer wants everything in low boxes, it's bad enough that I do this every day, but I dream about it at night too.
I think it should be illegal to send papers thru the mail with a persons social security number on it. Today's world have "Dumpers Divers" who seek out S.S. numbers, use them for gain. I see I'm back to bit*ching and complaining, sorry! I'll shut up and go to sleep now, maybe I'll dream of being thin again...............NOT!
Good Night Girls and Gary, who ever you are.
Bobbi
P.S. I haven't had the time to change my weight bar, I'm not at that weight anymore.
I got these jokes in my email box today, humor sure lightens the day.

60 Plus

Q: Where can women over the age of 60 find young, sexy men, who are interested in them?
A: Try a bookstore under fiction.

Q: What can a man do while his wife is going through menopause?
A: Keep busy. If you're handy with tools, you can finish the basement. When you are done you will have a place to live.

Q: How can you increase the heart rate of your 60+ year old husband?
A: Tell him you're pregnant.

Q: How can you avoid spotting a wrinkle every tme you walk by a mirror?
A: The next time you're in front of a mirror, take off your glasses.
Q: Why should 60+ year old people use valet parking?
A: Valets don't forget where they park your car.

Q: Is it common for 60+ year olds to have problems with short term memory storage?
A: Storing memory is not a problem, retrieving it is a problem.
Q: As people age, do they sleep more soundly?
A: Yes, but usually in the afternoon.

Q: Where do 60+ year olds look for fashionable glasses?
A: Their foreheads.
Q: What is the most common remark made by 60+ year olds when they enter antique stores?
A: "I remember these."T

Old 08-04-2007, 07:30 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Default Saturday - Aug 4

Good Morning Everyone,

Hi Paula - Orange hair! How is he dealing with that?
After reading your post about the Jazzercise class, I decided to go to one of the classes at my gym. It was a senior aerobics class. I made it through - constant moverment for 30 minutes.

Hi Zoe, I hope you enjoy your weekend at the beach - sounds delightful. You wrote, "I worry that it won’t be too long before this country just deteriorates completely...and we’ll all revert to living in tribes and running about in loincloths hunting down our food and rubbing two sticks together to create a cooking fire. THEN, what will we Golden Girls do to communicate? Send up smoke signals, I suppose!"

Hi Linda (Meowee), my dh had sleep apnea - they think it may have contributed to his stroke. You should get that checked.

Hi Margaret, is your doctor doing a biopsy on the tissue from you back? I initially went to my family doctor about my skin problems. Because of the way he scraped the spot, I had to have deep biopsy done. From now on, I will only go to dermatologist who specializes in skin cancer with any suspicious spots.

Hi Karen, I'll keep my fingers crossed about the potential buyers for your fifth wheel. I'm with you about Rhonda's cookies - I'm giving away all my cookie making stuff - no way I could make them & not eat any of the dough and/or cookies!

Hi Bobbi, I wish I lived close enough to you to help. I'm so sorry you and your dh must go through this alone. Those jokes are REALLY funny - unfortunately, because they're REALLY true!

Today, I have to go to the gym, pay bills, get cat to my dd's B&B (where she stays when I travel), get my course in order, see my Little Sister, and pack so I can leave for MD tomorrow morning.

Hope you all have a Happy & Healthy day,

Lynn
Old 08-04-2007, 07:40 AM   #56  
-

Happy weekend everyone!

Man, oh man, did we have an "interesting" afternoon yesterday. We decide to have a "date" and go out to eat and go to the movies (too hot to do anything else!) So we went to a great Mexican restaurant. I was good and had a delicious mahi-mahi that was grilled with vegetables and I told them to leave the rice off the plate. After we finished eating, husband asked if there was an ATM so he could get some cash for the movies. There was one in there, so he got $40 and came back to the table and they brought the bill which was in the $30 range. So he gave them our card. A manager comes back a couple of minutes later and tells us "Sorry, it would not take the card and they want you to call them". Hmmm..well I knew there was $ in the account cause I had checked it earlier in the day to make sure my husband's check had been automatically deposited and it had been.I had made a deposit the day before also. Then I said that maybe because we were trying to use the card at "2 different places" (atm and restaurant) within a few minutes that it was a "safety" thing from the bank in case the card had been stolen. So we just paid with the cash Terry had just gotten from atm.

We had about a 1/2 hour to kill before the movie started and there was a new decorating store that had just opened and it was on the way to the movies, so we went to go look. I found a bottle of lamp bergere "juice" and brought it to the counter to buy. The guy swiped my card (we had used my husband's at the restaurant)...so I enter my pin number and the machine said "thankyou" and then made a funny noise. The guy tried it two more times and both times it was declined. I was so embarrased. So we decide to go to the bank to find out exactly what the problem was. We got there and there was a huge line inside. We saw a few people that looked very mad. We finally found out that the bank's whole system had gone down. People had been at gas stations, grocery stores etc and their cards would not go through. One lady was there that had run out of diapers and couldn't get any and was livid.Apparently it had gone down seconds after Terry had used the ATM. Thank goodness he did, because we could not have paid for our meal...talk about embarresment!! I never carry checks or cash with me. We were able to get enough cash at the bank to go to the movies and for groceries today in case it didn't come back up.
And the movie was great..No Reservations..go see it!! Afterwards we went to cold stone and I got a sinless "ice cream" with almonds...and the card worked once again... the guy there said they had the same thing happened to lots of other people there that afternoon...they hand you your ice cream before you pay for it..people had already taken bites and licked cones and then could not pay for it. Just goes to show how much we depend on computers for everything and it's very scary to have to do so.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:16 AM   #57  
Lifetime Loser

Hi Golden Girls.....and where are you Gary????

I am not going to try to answer all the post from the last couple of days, this is a very busy group indeed.

Loved the jokes Bobbi, you'll lose those lbs. quickly when you get back on schedule. Loved the jokes and as Lynn said they are true!

Karen, Good luck on the sale, it takes time....that is what scares us...HOW MUCH TIME. We think we found the perfect condo in Ohio but don't reallly want to move until after the first of the year. I guess if it's meant to be it will happen.

My weight is stalled again, I'm starting to think it must be some medication I am taking.....my one Dr. said it could be, I go to my kidney Dr. in 2 wks., I'm asking her.

Lynn, have a good trip....you travel more than we do girl. Hope the class is going well too.

Cat your story could have been a lot worse. I always have my checkbook with me and 1 credit card but when we travel I but then I leave the ckbook home. We do depend on plastic to live, my dh always uses his debit card. I think your story taught us all to carry a little cash with us.

Moxie, I hope the freeze works for you. Keep good thoughts.

Lily, I am glad your ok, what a terrible terrible disaster with the bridge. Your city must be a mess.

See our Zoe is taking a day off and out playing! lol You speak of getting color, I live in Florida and I looked in the mirror and noticed my face is becoming pale! I need to get to the pool or the beach too, it's just so hot out now I don't enjoy it. Have fun on you mini vacation.

Paula, hope your Dad is doing well. Jazzersize, hummmm guess if I can walk the 2 brisk miles maybe I could do that, don't know. Have fun.

Need to get busy here, sorry to all those I missed....I'll catch you next time.

Phyllis
Old 08-04-2007, 10:19 AM   #58  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Good Morning. . .

It's still hot and sticky around here. My garage door decided to give up the ghost again yesterday (guess it doesn't like the heat either ). At least it stuck open this time so I can get in and out. Called the guy who said he'd be over sometime 'before the end of the weekend'. Nothing else is new and exciting in my world. No new kitten surprises so far.

Here's an interesting little FFFF for you today . . . The residue from the commercial manufacture of orange juice -- discarded pulp, seeds, and peel -- are used to make other food products such as cake mixes, candies, and soft drinks. Over 100 million pounds of orange-peel/orange-seed oils are sold annually for such purposes. The residues also find their way into paints and perfumes.

You hang in there, Bobbi . . . hope things settle down for you soon.

Yes, Cat . . . definitely sounds like we need to get back to a "cashful" society. I seem to use my Visa or debit-card for almost everything - except groceries (for some reason I still use 'real money' in the grocery store )

Hi there for everybody else. Gary does seem to have disappeared again doesn't he?. I know he's around because I've seen him in other places on 3FC.

Anyway . . . I hope everybody is having a great weekend whether at home or away. See you all soon . . .
Old 08-04-2007, 11:36 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 237/238/165

Height: 5 feet 7

Thumbs up It's a good day!!!!

Hi everyone!!!

I completed 2 miles WATP this morning. My scale below is a little off. I've got to update it again. I figure I'm really at 3 miles of excercise today.

My daughter and has Senior High School Class is having a Yard Sale at our home this weekend. They are really a great group of kids. They will use the proceeds to apply to the Prom Tickets. [All socio-economic groups attend this high school. They don't want the tickets to be too high for anyone.] Any who---I'm close to home and acting as their gopher. [I do love it, though]

They even have dh grilling hamburgers, hotdogs, and chicken wings!!! I think he's also having fun.

Needless to say, I ate much too much yesterday. I'm determined to eat more sensibly and just let yesterday remain in the past.....

TTFN,

Trish
Old 08-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning Golden Girls and Gary!!!
Well, I weighed this morning and I'm still stuck! Same weight for 5 weeks now but I'm sure it is my fault since I haven't been doing what I should be! SO I'm really going to try to get back on track this week and see if I can't make those scales move!!

I can't remember who it was that asked about the cinnamon rolls--- after all we are in the "Golden Girls" but I did remember to post it in the Favorite recipes this morning. The recipe came with my breadmaker and I jsut cut out the sugar and used splenda or soem other subsitute. If any of you have any ideas how to make it better be sure and let me know. I guess nutrition info. would really depend on how big you make the rolls. So I don't have a clue on that. But I do make them sugar free.

Well, I need to get busy and get stuff done this morning. Teller County Fair is this weekend and I'm hoping we get some "traffic" to see the 5th wheel and the house. It is in Cripple Creek and they need to go right past our house to get there.. ...
Have a good day and I'll check back later. Karen
Closed Thread