Old 01-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #91  
Fiercely Determined Chick

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainBabiesBe View Post
But I envy -- grass is greener? -- the reality of your knowledge.

The applied-with-influence-world sounds like such a lovely place to be.....

B.
I think the grass is always greener...my world is applied in the sense that we use math to solve real problems (in constrast to theoretical math which doesn't ever have to have a real use, just too sound cool)...it doesn't mean the decision makers always listen to the analysis, so it's not as influential as you might think...
AFChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #92  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgregg View Post
Okay, I'm not a 30-something, but I'm 26 and my hubby is 37. So, if you avg. our ages together I'm over 30...haha! Can I please join your chat? I have nothing in common with the 20-somethings group.

Little about me...I am married, with one child who is 5 and will be starting kindergarten in August this year. I'm trying to get my degree in Elem. Ed and I also work at a boat dealership in the office.
Welcome! I don't feel like I should be 37, so we balance out I guess...
Old 01-08-2010, 02:23 AM   #93  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Well, today was one for the books, and I'm not sure if I should go overboard "good" tomorrow with my girls' day out.

Roundabout 10:30 I got hungry for my morning tea, so DH and I stopped at a cafe. No fruit and the only water was frozen, so I opted for a *huge* apple shortbread (smallest one in the cabinet, but still very heavy!). Ate the whole thing over an hour. Felt really sh*tty afterwards; heavy, sluggish. Ugh.

Lunch was 2 pieces of deep fried fish (batter removed) with about 15 chips and 3 mini spring rolls (about 2 inches long each) with a dab of sweet chili sauce.

Afternoon tea was a small piece of my MIL's birthday cake (bundt-type orange cake).

Dinner was 1/2 of a snack pizza (3 small slices) and 4 chicken tenders with dessert being 125 grams of yoghurt and a brownie. On the plus side, I've still got enough leftover pizza and tenders for another meal.

Ugh. I feel sick. Not looking forward to my scale tomorrow. This was my first real big "problem" for the new year and I'm hoping to not repeat it tomorrow.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 190/190/145

Height: 5'3

Well, I wasn't online much yesterday. It got to be a busy day for me here at work and I found that it was much easier for me to stay within my calorie range when I had work to do. Things have been very slow for me lately, but right now, I am just thankful I have a job. I think that once school starts back in about a week and a half, it will also be easier for me to stay within my calorie range, because I'll be too busy.

I only worked out for 20 minutes on my treadmill yesterday...I guess it's better than nothing. So far, since Monday, I've done really well with sticking to 1200 - 1300 calories. I plan to do this for 6 weeks and then cycle up to about 1500 calories for a few weeks. This seems to work well for me....well, it has in the past.

I am glad to hear that everyone else is keeping up the good work and sticking to their plans as best as possible. I'm going to the movies tonight with a group of my girlfriends and I plan to buy a small popcorn (no butter of course) and pickle. I know I can eat about 1/2 the popcorn and fill myself up with the pickle. Although, I really wish I could get nachos and candy, but I WON"T!!!

sgregg:
Don't worry, I'm not quite 30 either. I'll be 30 this year though. I moved over here for the exact same reason as you - I didn't feel like I had much in common with the 20 somethings group. =) welcome.
sockmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 204/191/155

Height: 5'8"

Well...Here we are - Day 5. Is anyone else struggling with headaches from the lack of "junk" in there diets? I'm guessing that I am having a bit of caffeine/sugar withdrawal. Thank goodness for Excederin Migraine-LOL! Anyways, I hope you are all doing well. The weekend is upon us...and many food challenges will be coming our way. Stay strong, and think about the weigh-in Monday morning:-) Happy Friday everyone!!
staffingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #96  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

sgregg -

Mollz - been there. Sheesh. Seems like when it rains it pours and being out and about is hard. Not all restaurants and anything like dieter friendly. I'm sure your doing better today!

sockmonkey - good plan at the movies. Haven't been to a movie since I was preggers...and - oh yeah - I ate whatever...hence my current situation.

TGIF. Thank the Lord we are done with this first week back to school. It nearly killed me. I am secretly relieved that the public schools were closed W - F this week due to weather. One of my DC baby's mommy is a teacher, so I was short one infant. Phew! Just my 4 kids and an extra 21mo old. I decided long ago that I wasn't going to charge for days their kids weren't here - I'm nearly unemployed due to the weather and Christmas Break!

Doing well all week sticking to calorie budget. I s'pose I should get moving again. One week past my back injection and it's time. Oddly, my back still hurts but my knee is all better. Go figure. I think the major problem with my back is my weight and it will get better with time as I lose weight.

BTW - I'm so happy to be reading new peoples' posts and getting to know you all better. There are so many women just like us - we never need to feel alone.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #97  
Carpe diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortonpixie View Post
Mollz - been there. Sheesh. Seems like when it rains it pours and being out and about is hard. Not all restaurants and anything like dieter friendly. I'm sure your doing better today!

I'm sure I will be much better today! I was up ever so slightly from yesterday (1 pound on the scale) but down overall on my trend. I saw the magic 83 for 2 days straight, so I'm pretty chuffed about that. Last time I saw 83 was when I was about 8 or 9 and that was 83 pounds, not kilos!

I've managed to lose my pound for the week (before Monday, so let's see how much I can lose between now and Monday!), but want to see that magic 84.9 on my trend tomorrow; it means I've beat 85kg into submission even though for the last 2 months, it's gotten the better of me. And I will not go back up to 85kg for anyone!
Old 01-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #98  

This has been a day for the books (Thank the Lord it's Friday!). We had a 2 hour delay for weather...the funny thing is that it DIDN'T snow last night and we really didn't have any ice...but anyway. I was driving to work 2 hours late...my kids were home with DH because, oh ya, they cancelled school for our non-existent weather!

Half way to work, my car suddenly didn't work. I called roadside assistance from my car warranty only to find out it expired in September! (I have the extended warranty but apparently that doesn't extend to the roadside assistance.) Luckily, I remembered that my auto insurance has roadside assistance in it to pay for the tow...my DH had to drag the kids out to come get me and we had to wait over an hour for the tow truck to arrive to drive the car the 2 miles to the dealer...I think I could have pushed it there and gotten it there faster!

DH drove me to work where I discovered that my ID card (nessary to log into my work computer) was in the visor of my car. DH drove back to dealer to get it, but I didn't make him drive it all the way here...I've been reviewing docs off line for people to keep myself occupied. I'm able to log into my laptop, but cannot even access webmail without the card. And I can only get internet on the WIFI, but only from a conference room down the hall from my office. Can this day get any worse? Please don't answer that, I'm AFRAID of the answer!

On the small upside, I've relost the 2 pounds I've been gaining/losing, so maybe, just maybe it's lost for good this time....

OK, done venting...thanks for listening...

Last edited by AFChick; 01-08-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #99  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeak351 View Post
mysweetiepie- where in TN, I am in Tn also. About an hour east of Knoxville. Same forcast expected here. They are having lunch early at school just in case it hits earlier and we are let out of school early.

Yes it is COLD. They called school off here for Thur and Friday for the snow and If the weather does not warm back up Im not sure they will go on monday either. I am in middle TN well actually Nashville on the airport side. It is 18 out side now with a wind chill but I haven not a clue what it is. It has been snowing outside all day and as it is getting darker I feel it getting colder as I sit by the window.

day 4 of logging what im eating and my points and exercise. I walked 2 miles. I started the Leslie Sansone's 2 mile walk and got up to a 1 mile power walk and it just got to fast for me so I popped in the one mile walk and did it too. I did not think I would sweat that much.

Im just not hungry today and drinking my water but supper time is rolling around and im feeling like nothing. I have not even used half of my allotted points for today. I have used 12. Hubby is also bringing a pizza home for dinner.

Last edited by mysweetiepie; 01-08-2010 at 05:44 PM.
mysweetiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Thanks for the welcome!

I did Jillian's 30 Day Shred Level 1 yesterday and my legs are soooo sore from it. Has anyone else every tried that dvd workout?

AFChick: Where in AL are you? I'm in East Mississippi close to Tupelo. Sorry about your day...that does sound like a bad one.

mortonpixie: What is your calorie goal right now? I'm trying to stay between 1500-1700 although livestrong.com says I can have a little over 1800 and lose 2lbs per week.

Sockmonkey: Good to know that I'm not the only one...

I have a mini-date with my hubby tonight! Whoohoo! We are going out to eat and then probably just going home after that because he has to be at work at 6 tomorrow morning. My son is staying over at a friends house. God bless his friends and their parents! Haha!
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 206/189.2/135

Height: 5'4"

sgregg: i did Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones yesterday and could barely walk today!! I went ahead and did it as best I could today, man I'm hurting!! I ordered the 30 Day Shred can't wait for it to get here!

I'm just so ready to get back into a routine! My kids were out Thurs and Fri this week b/c of the weather, hopefully they'll be in school next week all week.
I've done pretty well staying in my calorie range this week, I really hope to see a loss Monday! I did Walk Away the Pounds Tues, Wed Thurs and today so I've gotten 8 miles in this week. And the 2 days of the no more trouble zones so hopefully that will help.
lots2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #102  
Because I Can

Omg! You ladies are on a roll! I don’t post for a day and there are 2 new pages of posts on here! Monday will be my day 20 and I get to add a weight loss tracker, yay! I will be stylin’ like ya’ll!

AFChick, wtg on the inches lost around your waist! You are a beast for walking in snow flurries! I love it that your co-workers think you’re crazy! They’re jealous of your determination. I am. You could have pushed the car and counted it as your workout for the day.

Pixie, I love the parade. Between schooling, day care, and working out, how in the heck to you find time to post? How are you not constantly posting about being this close to Onederland? I am on pins and needles waiting for your ticker to be at 199. Do you weigh in on a certain day? I would totally cheat and weigh early. lol

Squeak, I have this goal to hike the Grand Canyon. One of the main issues people have is that their knees hurt by the time they get to the bottom. So, on one of these “train to hike the canyon” sites a guy recommended rebounding. He said he has had several surgeries and nothing has helped like this exercise. It’s basically a mini trampoline that you jump on. He said that he does like a high-knee jog on it. He also advised to walk backwards on a treadmill. The rebounding would work for you at home. How old is your DD? My 16 yo recently decided that she wants to be a chef. I’ve turned the kitchen over to her. She’s pretty good.

Shea, thanks for the kudos. What is NSV? Wtg on sticking to your meal plan and making it to the gym! What day/week are you on the c25k? I am on week 2 day 2.

Beachbreeze, I don’t think men take the initiative on very much. I’m not a man hater by far (love my man!). I just don’t think it’s their nature to see something that needs to be done around the house and think, “I’m going to take care of that.” Your pork chop and wild rice dinner sounds so good.

Lots2go, welcome back! Nothing like a disruption in your schedule to send you off track, huh? You’re right 300 calories isn’t bad at all.

Staffingchick, good for your DH in quitting smoking! That was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I am still drinking coffee. I have 2 cups a day. Why did you cut it out?

Sgregg, Welcome!

Mollz, man your post makes me crave some junk food! Is weight an issue in NZ? I have never heard that it was. How is it that they don’t offer healthy choices at these places? The US is known for being over weight but we usually have some healthier options when we go out. Maybe we cook badly at home? Lol Does your scale have pounds and kilos? So if you weigh in kilos, does it take longer for the scale to move since a kilo weighs more?

I didn’t workout yesterday. I was going to and then realized that I have exercised for a week straight already so I took it off. Of course I felt very guilty about not working out. Guilt will be the death of me. I also broke down and found my hidden scale and weighed myself. (which I feel guilty about lol) I am down 1# from Monday. I should be happy about it, but I’m not. I hope that come Monday it will be down another pound. Today I am doing c25k and strength training.

I hope you all have a great weekend! I’m sure I will post again before Monday as I have no life and my DH will be playing Call of Duty all weekend. Lol

-Mel.
MelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

There is so much to read and keep track of... this is hard! lol

Everyone still seems to be going strong and I'm happy to read about the walking, Jillian DVDs and other exercise getting done I did not get my work outs in like I wanted to this week- I missed Monday and yesterday but Tuesday, Wed and Today I've done at least 45 minutes of Cardio and today I also got 30 minutes of strength training.

Tomorrow is an hour of cardio and Sunday is supposed to be rest day but Monday is weigh in so I might do my cardio since I missed 2 days this week! Now that I'm in wonderland I guess my new goal is 189 but I still haven't wrapped my head around the fact that I'm not 200 pounds anymore!

My pants are finally starting to get too big and I was able to zip up my old size 16s, although they are TIGHT! lol... I haven't worn them in at least 10 years.

Anyway, I hope you ladies are staying warm and Mollz I know you're enjoying the weather like me so we should definetely send our warmest thoughts to our friends!

Anyone have any fantastic plans for the weekend? We had a lightening storm come through about 2 weeks ago and a bolt hit out fence which in turn ran a current through our house that zapped the washer AND dryer, my Wii, hubby's electronic drum set and our son's xbox 360

The gaming systems are in for repair already and we're waiting on a new part for the drums- the parts for the washer has FINALLY come in yesterday but then come to find out the timer was out too so again today the appliance guy is here and my fingers are crossed it gets fixed. If so I'm doing laundry all weekend and I'm happy to do so! lol... I'm tired of doing it by hand and I'm also amazed at how much I rely on today's technology!

MelO- I notice you're a 49ers fan! Me too, and my mom and aunt- my brother is a raiders fan and so you can imagine how Sundays can get, lol!

Last edited by bensempress; 01-08-2010 at 07:24 PM.
bensempress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #104  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

sgregg - Welcome! I just turned 30 this year (well last year) but at 27 would have probably wanted to post here also. Glad to "meet" you!

Mollz - We all have those days. It is amazing how once you eat well for a while and then don't how icky it makes you feel. Glad to see you're back on track with minimal "damage." I hope you had a good time! I love days spent with girlfriends.

sockmonkey - 20 minutes is 20 minutes. You could have decided you were too busy and done nothing. Great job staying on plan! I agree - when I am busy it makes it easier for the routines to flow.

AFChick - How frustrating! It's odd the way one thing happens and then another and then you just start rolling with the "punches." The worst day is only 24 hours. Wake up and start fresh tomorrow!

It cracks me up that you guys south of the Mason Dixon are calling off school for temps. We didn't have school, but there is quite a bit of snow on the ground and it's really cold - mostly for snow. I know, you don't have the same supplies we do, it's still amusing. The folks up along the lake in OH tease us for closing. They get WAY more than we do!

bensempress - Can we have just a little big of your weather? Blow really hard and send it this way! Mollz, you too!

lotstogo - It sounds like you're really back and groovin'! Welcome!

MelO - I love mine too. He's pretty amazing. Just does things in such a "guy" way.

Mortonpixie - Never underestimate the power of sleep! Hang in there! I am headed to bed early tonight. YAY! What a luxury!

I found a store today with an amazing produce section. I can't wait to go back Sunday and load up on fruit and veggies. I was surprised to see watermelon, canteloupe, berries and all of those summer fruits. I am not expecting the same flavor, but just having them is awesome! Even the tomatoes looked good.

I bought a new pan today so I can grill meat on the stove with a grill skillet. I also bought a wok skillet so I can make veggies a bit easier. I had been using a large skillet for both tasks which was a little tricky and the nonstick coating is coming off. I made dinner tonight with the new pans and love them!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #105  
Carpe diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelO View Post
Mollz, man your post makes me crave some junk food! Is weight an issue in NZ? I have never heard that it was. How is it that they don’t offer healthy choices at these places? The US is known for being over weight but we usually have some healthier options when we go out. Maybe we cook badly at home? Lol Does your scale have pounds and kilos? So if you weigh in kilos, does it take longer for the scale to move since a kilo weighs more?
Yes, weight is a big issue in NZ! Most overweight people here are from the Islands (Cook Islands, Samoa, Tonga, Niue, etc) where the bigger the woman the more "prestige" she has, but they're VERY unhealthy. And of course, there are a lot of overweight white people too. The restaurants do have substitutes you can make, but there's very little nutritional information because a lot of the restaurants are "one of a kind" and the menus constantly change; no major chains here except the fast food and NZ-based ones.

As for home cooking, we're an agricultural economy, so we eat mostly whole foods and use butter (never margarine!), cream, milk, eggs (I've never managed to see egg substitute here, nor the frozen concentrated juices I had in the States) and lots of organic beef, lamb, chicken, and pork. It's not necessarily healthier, but it's whole food and we don't put additives into our food the way most American companies do.

My scale takes pounds, kilos and stones, but I weigh in kilos (the numbers are smaller ). The scale moves in .2 increments (which is just under half-a-pound), so yes, it takes a little while for the numbers to move and that's the down side of working in kilos!