Old 01-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #76  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

Okay chicks - I think we all deserve a PARADE for staying on plan for the last 3 days!! So here it is!
:ch eer2:

My mom and I text each other in the evenings to help stay OP - and she agreed - the last few days have seemed much loooonger.

I am SO encouraged to read about the food choice and exercise victories on this thread! You ladies make it easier to fight another day.

Well, it's about time to start school. We didn't quite finish yesterday (wow, what a wild day!) so extra to do today. We are on day #2 of Public School cancellations due to extreme cold and we got another 3 inches of snow yesterday ... HOW much is that so far ... about 18 inches!! My kids think they shouldn't have to do school today either...HA!

Have a great day, everyone!
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #77  

Height: 5'6"

Morning all!!

staffingchick- WTG Very hard to ignore pizza and eat a salad but didn't it make your feel like a huge victory afterward? It should have because it was!!!

mysweetiepie- where in TN, I am in Tn also. About an hour east of Knoxville. Same forcast expected here. They are having lunch early at school just in case it hits earlier and we are let out of school early.

Cold, cold, cold.... brrrrr... Last night my feet were so cold that when I got into the shower the hot water felt like my feet were burning. I am not used to being that cold. I know I sound like a wimp compared to our more northern posters but gees, East TN is not used to a wind chill factor of -5 below.

All you that have been exercising is reminding me that I need to get back to it. I do really good for a while, then my knee acts up then I stop for a while. I need to find something I can do even if my knee is acting up. I joined some classes at the community center but hurt my knee. They have other classes but I don't have a sitter in the afternoons and it hard for me to find someone to watch dd for a couple hours in the evening. Plus I live in a very rural area and it takes me 30 minutes to get to the community center. Yuck.. then drive back home. It takes all my evening away and I feel like I am never home. I know.. excuses.. right. I need to find something I can do at home and enjoy. I hate dvd's because once you see them a couple of times it gets old. I can't walk because of the rural road, people speed on it and it would be dangerous to walk on. I have no tread mill, it makes me dizzy to walk on one anyway. I don't really have any room for one even if I could walk on one. Anyone have any ideas? If you couldn't get to a gym, or walk, or do dvds what would you do?
squeak351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #78  
Fiercely Determined Chick

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortonpixie View Post
We are on day #2 of Public School cancellations due to extreme cold and we got another 3 inches of snow yesterday ... HOW much is that so far ... about 18 inches!! My kids think they shouldn't have to do school today either...HA!
When I was driving home yesterday, they were already planning to close schools today at noon in anticipation of snow today...we're only supposed to get 1/2 to 1 inch! I called my folks in the DC area to make them laugh about it. They got 24 inches before Christmas. I told my mom it was sunny without a cloud in the sky and they were already announcing school closings. I know AL has no equipment for snow/ice, so it's probably a good call, it just seemed so dang funny at the time...after having lived in OH and VA.
AFChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #79  

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeak351 View Post
Morning all!!

Anyone have any ideas? If you couldn't get to a gym, or walk, or do dvds what would you do?
Do you have stairs in your house? (And will that hurt your knees?) You could do stair climbing. Also lunges with weights up and down a hallway. I also like to get a stability ball and do a good core workout. You could get a few DVDs to start (I like the "Core Secrets" series) and then mix and match the exercises to make your own routine that you could change up.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #80  
Starting to lose

S/C/G: 298/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

MelO - 85 minutes of cardio is amazing!! No wonder you are seeing such good NSV...keep up the great work!

AFChick - Very cool about the fitness check, I remember some of my siblings talking about passing the fitness tests (I'm pretty much one of the only one's who didn't do some sort of armed forces) and they always sounded way too hard for me

squeak351 - We're not nearly as bad as you, and I'm so cold I can barely feel my fingers...this is just crazy!

mortonpixie - love the parade, I think we all deserve it too

A little more difficult yesterday, I ended up having 2 diet soda's, 2 pieces of low carb candy, and a piece of low carb gum. I do better when I skip sweets altogether, even one's I'm allowed to have. I'll just have to do better today, although I appear to still be in ketosis (the scale didn't move at all though, so I know the sweets affected me) Got to get my water in, and not miss my snacks. I did go to the gym this morning, and did my c25k, and some strength training
shea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #81  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Mollz - Yes and Michael Weatherly too! ...quiet moment...okay I'm good. Do you watch NCIS:LA? We started it and I like it but I am not sure if I would tune in if it weren't on right after NCIS.

I tried to keep control over what I ate and exercise when I was in school, but it just didn't happen. Like some of you, I worked full time, had two children, a house and went to school. There wasn't much time left for anything. In hindsight, I really could have gotten 30 minutes of exercise a day and eaten better. I would attribute about 40lbs to being in school. Whoever put the McDonald's accross the street from the school was not only a commercial genius but responsible for the weight gain of many students. I worked until 5 downtown and then classes started at 6 at the school downtown. Not a lot of food options available. I could have packed something for myself but honestly remembering my homework for the day on top of all of the other things I had to remember was all I could handle. Sometimes I think it's okay to focus on some areas of your life more than others. We need to find ways to fit healthy eating and moving our bodies into our lives regardless of what is going on, though.

Now that I am out of school I am really growing as a person. I have discovered some new hobbies, cooking being one of them. Now that I cook healthy meals, my family eats better. Just a side note - why is it that DH never took control to make healthy meals and that all fell on me? He wasn't in school and could easily have taken the lead on that. I have found a lot of men don't take initiative when it comes to meals especially for other family member.

I cooked some boneless pork chops on the Foreman grill, made some wild rice and steamed some broccoli for dinner last night. I have been keeping to the plate proportion rules. Most of my plate was broccoli, some of it was rice and a smaller portion was meat. After dinner, I rode my bike again to Modern Family and Cougar Town. I am turning into quite the TV buff. Moving the bike upstairs was the best decision ever!

Have a good one ladies!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #82  
Positive Focus

Squeak - along the same lines as the stability ball idea - by now you probably know most of the moves that go into the DVD routines. Get your step, ball or whatever equipment you have out, turn up your favorite songs and go to town! Also, try strength training. Dumbbells, resistance bands, stability balls and your own body weight are really the best tools. No gym needed! One day focus on lower body and abs, really spending about 45 minutes. Alternate between cardio moves and strength moves (still jamming to your favorite songs). Another day pick upper body and do the same. If you need specific movement ideas, pick up a book that will show you. I have the Muscle and Fitness Hers book that shows gym moves but also shows a lot of great at home moves. I bet you'll find that you know your body more than the fitness DVDs do and will get a better workout. Keep yourself responsible by setting a timer or alarm to exercise for the whole time. Have fun!

Last edited by BeachBreeze2010; 01-07-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: I can't type without typos!
Old 01-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #83  

Sorry no stairs at the house unless you count the five that go up onto the porch and stairs kills my knee. Lunges also very bad. I have had 3 surgeries on left knee, two ACL repairs, and some bone shaved with repair to cartilage one time as well. I know I hate the dvds but I think I need to expand my collection of dvds and just rotate them.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #84  

Oh and school is being let out at 1 pm. No snow here yet and we are only supposed to 1- 2 inches "maybe". I am not gonna argue at all because that means I get to go home early. I am sure everyone will drive straight to the grocery store to get milk and eggs. In fact I am gonna do that because I am out and DD is on a kick about baking and she used all the milk and eggs up last night.

Does fighting the crowd at the grocery store count as exercise! lol JK... hahhaa
Old 01-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #85  
Positive Focus

Squeak - Did you go to physical therapy after your knee surgeries? Do you have the exercises they gave you? Keep doing them if you are having pain that is keeping you from wanting to exercise. Upper body strength training, ab work and balance exercises in addition to those old PT exercises should help a lot. Try doing punches and low impact aerobics moves for cardio. There are still lots of opportunities to exercise even with bad knees! Don't let them stop you. I made excuses and sat on the couch for 4 months feeling sorry for myself when I hurt my ankle - and gained 15lbs. Don't let that happen to you! You can do this!
Old 01-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 206/189.2/135

Height: 5'4"

I feel kinda funny about joining in the conversation again, i dropped off the earth for a few months there....i've been op for 3 of the last 4 days and only went over my calorie count yesterday by 300 or so. 300 is a lot though....I've done WATP videos for the last 3 days too, and am planning to try a jillian michaels one today.
Ugh.....my kids are out of school today and tomorrow because of the temps, we got no snow, but the winchill is below 0 and lots of kids walk to school or have to wait for a bus outside...i'm ready for a routine, we just went back this monday after christmas, now we're out....AGAIN. I'm going crazy!
lots2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 204/191/155

Height: 5'8"

Well..day four is upon me. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement..it really makes a difference. I woke up with a massive headache this morning...which I'm sure is from not having sugar, carbs, or anything bad this week. Excederin Migraine is my friend :-) I am looking forward to my salad for lunch, and healthy dinner with the hubby. He is joining me in trying to get healthy in 2010...and he is also trying to quit smoking-YAY! I've been exercising with the help of WII Active-I LOVE IT! It really gets your heart pumping! Good luck today. Can't wait for the weigh in on Monday!!
staffingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #88  

It started snow flurries here just as I went out for my lunch walk...I kept going. I did change the route to stay close to my building in case it turned to rain and would get me wet (and cold!), but I think I did about the same mileage...my coworkers think I'm nuts...maybe I am...
Old 01-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Okay, I'm not a 30-something, but I'm 26 and my hubby is 37. So, if you avg. our ages together I'm over 30...haha! Can I please join your chat? I have nothing in common with the 20-somethings group.

Little about me...I am married, with one child who is 5 and will be starting kindergarten in August this year. I'm trying to get my degree in Elem. Ed and I also work at a boat dealership in the office.
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #90  
Multi-tasking is fun

S/C/G: 200/188/150

Height: 5'9

Default piled higher and deeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChick View Post
I finished in 2007 and then almost immediately started traveling with my job about 50% of the time for the last 2&1/2 years (that added the other 20 or so pounds)...I'm still debating as well...I guess it's kind of cool when I watch numb3rs and know what algorithms they're talking about...does that make 3 years of pain worthwhile?...LOL

what's your field of study?
Technically: human geography / water resources
Reality: social theory and policy implications for why we (society) can't seem to get our act together related to environmental (water) issues. I'm in an interdisciplinary department, which allows for a lot of intellectual flexibility. But I envy -- grass is greener? -- the reality of your knowledge.

The applied-with-influence-world sounds like such a lovely place to be.....

B.

Last edited by BrainBabiesBe; 01-07-2010 at 08:12 PM.
BrainBabiesBe is offline   Reply With Quote