Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #181  
California licensed CPA!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

morning chicks

DH and I rode our bikes 21 miles last night - feels good to get going on that again! BUT, a lot of good it did me (not)! Weight was up .4 today for no reason I can see...dinner last night was a boneless pork chop, bean vermicelli w/coconut oil and sriracha, and steamed organic broccoli. I did have 1/2 of a mini chocolate bundt cake filled w/chocolate butter cream from Omaha Steaks
but it was only like 160 calories and I burned 1,000 on the bike ride. I do realize that the sugar could still have caused the water retention since i didn't really drink that much after dinner. We'll see tomorrow!

TODAY:
Breakfast - Omaha steaks oven-roasted chicken breast (pre-cooked, 100 calories), steamed organic broccoli w/Frank's red hot
Snack 1 - fresh pineapple
Lunch - SALAD (classic mixed greens, 1/2 filet mignon, BHF creamy blue cheese dressing)
Snack 2 - mixed nuts or pop corn if needed
Dinner - TBD

no exercise today! tired!
Syckgirlsfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 226.6/173.4/154

Height: 5'6"

Syckgirlsfv - what I tend to do from time to time when it would seem the math works out to me losing and I don't - I think the fat cells hang onto water instead of releasing it. Then suddenly you find yourself in the bathroom all the time and whoosh - off it goes.
msgooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #183  
California licensed CPA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgooch View Post
Syckgirlsfv - what I tend to do from time to time when it would seem the math works out to me losing and I don't - I think the fat cells hang onto water instead of releasing it. Then suddenly you find yourself in the bathroom all the time and whoosh - off it goes.
I totally agree! I just get frustrated by it. I put too much value in what the scale says, I know...can't help it though
Old 03-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #184  

S/C/G: 255/229/155

Height: 5'9

OMsmgoosh

We typically cannot lose more than 2lbs of fat week.
If we lose more than that then it's possible you not just losing fat. Mostly water.
Where the big difference is in exercise.
7800 calories is two pounds. That's alot of restriction.
So maintaining muscle is important because if we're burning muscle on sever restrictions for a long term more than 21 days.
Then we're no longer only releasing fats and glycogen from energy stores , but also proteins. know of any protein muscles that you don't want damaged? The heart for one it's not exempt.

So short term loses of 3 or more especially in the beginning of sever calorie restriction and heavy exercise will help with those very obese more than 300 lbs. But under a doctors care.

What I aim for is 5lbs a month. I don't want to lose muscle.
So I aim for 2lbs a week.

That's 104lbs a year. And that a bit unrealistic. But possible for those under 300lbs.

Under that 300 most of the fat lose is through calorie restriction. But a smaller amount from exercise.

So my plan I use for myself, and I'm not qualified to give advice to others.
Is 1 1/4 lb from food restriction and 3/4 lb from exercise.
5250 calorie food restriction + 2550 calories of exercise in a week.
This is much harder for those that are not fit. Or just beginning to walk away from a sedentary lifestyle. It's take ten minutes of jump rope to release 100 of fat fuel. That's like finding time for 25 ten minute sessions a week. Extremely unlikely in my case.. but I do walk alot on the job, so that number comes down 15, I also do two hour lifting sessions , that brings it down to 11. I have 8 planned which leaves three to stuff in there somewhere. But I'm not proficient at jumping yet. So I fall short of the 2lb goal from my formula. So I'm doing what is doable.
So there are some tweaks to being low carb like when weight lifter cut. But a realistic fat loss plan will be between 1 and 2 lbs a week. I have more to say but I'll take the time say it in a clear way.
I'm happy with 5lbs a month. As long as my food is not allowing me to become malnourished. Fast weight-loss doesn't really address long term weight loss. I like the keytone and exercise approach, but even that doesn't seem to change my menu very much. I try to go low carb for a week . The the next week low carb and low fat with exercise. But I've changed that approach in this 13 week plan. To low glycemic followed by strength training. Two times a week. My lifts are compound lifting. Short for multi movement or not isolated . I'm not trying to transform I to a massive body , I'm already massive. So my approach is to maintain the muscle groups I have at their current mass.
It's just a trial for me . Trying not to lose muscle mass and being excited on the scale that I lost muscle.

I'll say it's not impossible.to lose 3lbs of fat. But very difficult.
https://youtu.be/eXTiiz99p9o
This you tube isn't expert advice , but it makes a few good points.
If you're wanting to lose 3 lbs a week for three weeks to fit into clothes. Well that's different. That's not fat loss nor permanent weight loss. I'll never tell anyone they can't. I'm not qualified for one thing.

So to draw from my own experience . When I haven't dieted in a while, and I stopped eating as much. Not drinking as much fluids.
I've burned a little fat. , and halted putting in as much food and water as I usually do. That's why it seems at first to be 3 or more pounds.

The reason I aim for two is because , I cheat.
However as my weight nears 200 than 250 I don't cheat as much. So knowing my trends. I slow down to 1lb a week.
The problem I faced was I would cheat every once in awhile. Once every 2-3 weeks. This led to losing a pound 1 week and nothing the next. And gain it back the week after that.
That's very frustrating to lose only 1 lb a month .

So I now aim for two lbs a week.
I work in a warehouse so standing up 14 hours a day, and lifting. Going home and walking after y last meal for an hour,
Going to the gym two days a week.
Skipping roped for 3 hours a week. It's tough .but not impossible. Actually I could do alot more. But I'm happy with pace, it become a long term lifestyle for me .
In this way around the 200lb mark I know I need to ramp it up.
And strive for 5lbs a month. Especially with what I'm doing.
For me that 5lbs can easily be protein loss. So I'm very focussed.

What many researchers are looking for, especially those researching for weight loss plans for marketing. Is Wether well stay on it. Lose weight and keep it off.

About 25% of Dieter that lose 30 or more lbs can keep it off. For a year and even less for five years.
I've been there and done that.

I've seen so many names of people come and go over the years on these types of forums. I don't want to sound like we're all in 75%, but point to other 25% that keep it off.

Make fat loss a lifestyle.
Use sleep as strategy.
Don't eat high calorie foods like cereal and breads.
Eat nutrition dense foods.
Enjoy your exercises as if you could do them for years to come.

I personally pick one week a month as strict week. No way no how going to anything but the plan.
I aim for 8lbs a month. But I'll take 1lb a week as successful.
I aim for 100 lbs a year. But ilk take 40lbs as successful.
So in essence those 2 lb fat loss weeks are 12 of those 40 lbs.
That's how I draw the line.
After start up losses. After three months.
I start to hone in on a schedule.

Hmm
I'm going on and on .please forgive.

I have a 13 week plan.
Week 1 CRON 3400 + light exercise
Week 2 CRAN 5250 + HEAVY exercise
Week 3 CRON 3400 + light exercise
Week 4 CRAN 5250 + HEAVY exercise strict
Week 5 CRON 3400 + light exercise
Week 6 CRAN 5250 + HEAVY exercise
Week 7 CRON 3400 + light exercise
Week 8 CRAN 5250+ HEAVY exercise strict
Week 9 CRON 3400 + light exercise
Week 10 CRAN 5250 + HEAVY exercise strict
Week 11 CRON 3400 + light exercise
Week 12 clear the cupboards
Week 13 planned break
Then I start over.
If I could maintain the strict weeks I certainly would.

This may not answer your questions. But it's what my experience is.

My understanding is there are differences in the way people respond to exercises. So are high responder and others are low responders.
I'm somewhere in the middle , but I overeat.

If you're a high responder you may go to muscle building gym. And gain a lot of muscle and your resting metabolism will absorb lots more calories.
But if you're a low or non responder. You may not gain very much muscle at all . And this can be unsettling.

However what is proven to work. Is 1lb a week from calorie restriction. This can be achieved even if sedentary.
So if your a high responder. Go for it. If not , then understand the proven calorie methods. Both can get you to goal.

I Wish there was more data on the 25% that keep off their weight for more than 5 years. And how much the 300 pounders lost and how long it took.

So we could look at a simple chart.
If I start at 250 how long will it take to lose 100lbs. And how long can I keep it off.
I know the answer , but it would be nice to a chart.
I'm betting not many can do it in 33 weeks , And walk away with a satisfying maintenance lifestyle.

I didn't lose weight this week for the first time since I started in December. So I got to say I'm very motivated to be strict on my 2lb week plan this week and next.

For me . Losing 24lbs in 12 weeks. In the first 3 months seems doable, but I will be happy with the 21 I've already lost in 11 weeks.
To go further.
Drawing from own trends in the past.
The first 13 weeks. About 20 lbs
weeks 14- 26 18lbs
Weeks 27- 39 12lbs
Weeks 40- 52 8lbs.
I want more than that but I'll take it over nothing or gaining it back.

Last edited by Pang; 03-14-2017 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Because i go on and on and on.
Pang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:21 PM   #185  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Total Approx 1540 Calories +

Breakfast (405 Calories + coffee)
spritz olive oil in pan
2 large eggs 140 calories
300g. Mediterranean Blend Veggies 90 calories
14 g. Organic Valley feta cheese 30 calories
1 T. tomato paste 10 calories
1/2 Ozery OneBun 50 calories
1 T. pumpkin butter 25 calories
juice equivalent to 60 calories
coffee w/sugar/stevia blend and cream

Lunch (385 Calories)
Ozery OneBun 100 calories
2 slices Applegate Farms Smoked Turkey Breast & lettuce 50 Calories
Laughing Cow spreadable cheese wedge 35 calories
Siggi's vanilla yogurt 100 calories
1 Apple 100 calories

Dinner (750 Calories)
Salad w/grilled chicken & BHF's ranch 700 calories
shared a Sumo Mandarin w/DH 50 calories

Exercise:
Alum Creek Dam Virtual Run from youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5DIIr4UlR4
I ran/jogged for 4 minutes and then did lower impact moves for 1 minute. This worked out pretty good. I also played Country Cardio Workout Mix from youtube in the background for the music.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:00 AM   #186  
Trying to live below 200

Good Morning, Everyone!

Stay safe with the cold weather.

Last night I added on: Tamilee Webb's Total Body Stretch (sitting)
Nothing for this morning <-> I think it being dark in the AM is causing me problems with waking up.

Calories for yesterday: 1540 +
Weigh In: 174.2
Down: .2

Waving Hi all around! Have a great day!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #187  

S/C/G: 226.6/173.4/154

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for your thoughts Pang. I think the weight was coming off because of my increased exercise. Here is what was startling to me - yesterday was a rest day for me. I was also really tired from a long day the day before walking all over the city. I only burned a little over 2000 calories on a day of no exercise. On days I exercise I can burn anywhere from 2700 on up. It just shows me, no wonder I gained weight! 2,000 calories when you aren't on a diet is pretty easy to blow past. Especially not exercising. This is a true education on the reality of what it will take to continue losing and maintaining.

I gained a lb the other day from eating off plan, I'm sure there was some water weight in there. I still have .6 to lose to get it back off. One day, indulging a little has consequences for me that last for days.

I went on the treadmill today - it is awfully cold today. I'm trying to mix up what I do on the treadmill - one day a week I do interval, one day I just do a fat burning, today I did a hills program that was mostly cardio, some days I'll do speed, some days I'll do incline.
msgooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:35 AM   #188  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

Good morning to all
Pang thank you for your research and insight again. But I have to say that the formula looks good and works for really does not always work for everybody. I am a prime example. I have not strayed from my game plan, no cheats, no off plan eating with light to moderate exercise with little (less than .4) or no weight loss for weeks. This has happened several times on my journey which has resulted in great frustration but not enough for me to throw in the towel.

With that being said I do enjoy reading your depth of knowledge please keep it up

Now this mornings WI same as the past 3 days no loss no gain and I am op. I think I will increase my carbs and see where that gets me in the next week or two to see if this will make a difference.

I am off to work
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #189  

S/C/G: 187.4/187.4/125

Height: 5'1"

Hi everyone,
Joining in today. I'm really trying to lose some serious weight until June 15 when I go on vacation. I've tried doing low carbing but I'm a vegetarian and was eating a lot of dairy so I ended up lose great the first week but gaining half a pound the second :-(. I basically decided I'm just going to do my own calorie counting plan with foods that I like and know I can live with and keep to reasonable portions and also exercise every day at least 30 minutes.

Today's menu:
Breakfast: Egg made into an omelet in cooking spray with chopped cucumber and tomato, 2 slices light whole wheat bread with fat free cream cheese. Coffee with dash of half-and-half.
Snack: 1 orange
Lunch: Salad with homemade balsamic dressing and nutritional yeast, crock pot vegetarian chili with a little bit of light sour cream, 2 tablespoons of white chocolate chips
Snack: 1/4 cup Fiber One cereal
Dinner: Lentil soup, couscous,
Snack: 1/2 cup Puffins cereal, 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips

Exercise today was 40 minutes of house cleaning.

Tam
djunamod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:01 PM   #190  

S/C/G: 255/229/155

Height: 5'9

Hi
Nancy, Diane,msgooch, and DJ.

Sometimes I worry my communication skill can put others off.
So I try to keep from being grandiose.

Today is fastday for me. Just walnuts , and dried berries for 600.
I'm one of the types that's overeat because I'm slow to feel full.
So I've adapted to full one day and empty the next.
High energy day followed by low energy day the next.
I keep notes, especially what I enjoy.

My plan
My plan is a 1200 a day 7 day average. So I'm not able to stay on it yet. My thought is to keep practicing maintenance long before I get to goal. I'll already know what I like, and have practice.

I know I like fish, walnuts, blueberries, cherries, strawberries, coffee protein shake, salads, chicken dinner, and steak dinner.

I just had to learn the protein shake factors.
When I feel like doing more exercise I add more protein, but when I skip exercise I go Pgs minimums on the shakes.
It was a good fit for me , like being able to dial in what need on the fly without having to go in the kitchen and cook.
For me the protein shakes don't awaken binge hunger.
In fact , I can usually keep adding ice to it and make last-ditch two to three hours just sipping it slowly.

Having the last of my calories now.
But it's not all I can do to nourish myself on a fast day.
I get some direct sunlight , for vitaminS, I drink and
zero calorie vitamin water for A,Bs,C,E , and calcium supplement with D and K , and sometimes a fiber supplement.

Plenty of water with lemon.
Pang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:15 PM   #191  
Trying to live below 200

djunamod Hi and welcome to the check-in!
Old 03-15-2017, 08:19 PM   #192  
Trying to live below 200

Hi Everyone!

I hope you are doing well.

Total Approx 1490 Calories +

Breakfast (405 Calories + coffee)

spritz olive oil in pan
2 large eggs 140 calories
300g. Mediterranean Blend Veggies 90 calories
14 g. Organic Valley feta cheese 30 calories
1 T. tomato paste 10 calories
1/2 Ozery OneBun 50 calories
1 T. pumpkin butter 25 calories
juice equivalent to 60 calories
coffee w/sugar/stevia blend and cream

Lunch (385 Calories)

Ozery OneBun 100 calories
2 slices Applegate Farms Smoked Turkey Breast & lettuce 50 Calories
Laughing Cow spreadable cheese wedge 35 calories
Siggi's vanilla yogurt 100 calories
1 Apple 100 calories

Dinner (700 Calories)
Salad w/grilled chicken & BHF's ranch 700 calories

Exercise:

KCM's Strength & Stamina combined workouts no swings w/10's & 5's
Old 03-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #193  
Faith. Family. Fitness.

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'2"

Diana - Chamomile tea is a good idea. I will be sure to buy some!!
Syckgirlsfv - sometimes after intense exercise like that, your muscles retain water in order to repair Check again in a few days.

Today's workout: IM30 Sweat Intervals

Breakfast: Coffee, protein bar, banana

Snack: more coffee, strawberries.

Lunch: Homemade chili, applesauce

Snack: Celery w/ PB, some prunes

Dinner:Grilled chicken salad, a glass of milk.

It's been a busy week! Hope everyone is doing well
EmilyLarnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:53 PM   #194  
California licensed CPA!

Emily of course you are right...I had forgotten that! LOL thanks for the reminder

So busy today I'm just now checking in - got home a little while ago after getting a much needed haircut. It was in the 90s today

Today:
breakfast - Trader Joes high fiber cereal w/almond milk and ground flax
snack 1 - fresh pineapple
lunch - SALAD (romaine, beets, chicken breast, BHF Creamy Blue Cheese)
snack 2 - popcorn, cocoa glazed almonds
dinner - (planned, I haven't eaten yet) asparagus, turkey burger w/swiss on Flat Out fold-it

no exercise - bike ride tomorrow after work!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #195  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

Good eve to all

Today was one of those ....there is not enough food....days Ever have them? I ate my regular routine but if I am honest was not really hungry, just not satisfied. So I am a bit sideways tonight and ate dare I say someone else un-breaded chicken wings for dinner along with a glass of wine. Now this did push my calories up to 1400 and my carbs to 29. but this is within reason. I know the sodium will show up friday...always takes it a day or two. I don't regret it, I do have to live a normal life and this was one of those nights
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote