Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 07:17 AM   #46  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

GOOD SUNDAY MORNING CHICKS

LOTS OF COOL 62 DEGREE AIR OUT THERE AND IT EVEN SMELLS GOOD. THE KIDS ARE AT THE TRAILER GETTING THINGS CLEANED UP FOR END OF SUMMER. JEN MUST BE FREEZING SHE TOOK WINTER CLOTHES
IRONICALLY I AM SPENDING THE WEEKEND "CHILLING" OUT! NOTHING NEW HERE. JUST SUN & REST
HAVE A GREAT DAY

SHAD.....THIS MORNING I SAW PICTURES OF NZ AND HOW THE SCIENTISTS SAY THE EARTH CRACKED AND MOVED IN 2 DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS. THIS CERTAINLY WAS A WHOPPER. SENDING PRAYERS AND GOOD THOUGHTS. I AM SORRY TOO THE JOB IS BEING A PITA BUT AT LEAST IT IS PAYING. I SEEM TO HAVE THE OPPOSITE PROBLEM DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE E-MAIL...THERE WAS NOTHING TO ANSWER...I WAS JUST FILLING YOU AND THE SISTERS IN. TUESDAY THE PROCESS BEGINS ALL OVER AGAIN CREDIT CARD DEBT IS NOT FOR THE FAINT AT HEART...I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MANY AGENCIES TURNED JEN DOWN FOR HELP. FINALLY A LAWYER FELT SORRY FOR HER STORY AND GAVE HER FREE ADVICE AND PHONE NUMBERS. SHE IS GOING TO SEND A THANK YOU NOTE. AS FOR YOU...THE MONTH WILL HAVE COME AND GONE AND WILL THE WORK BE FINISHED?? WHAT ARE THOSE GUYS THINKING?? HOPE THE LADS HAD A HAPPY FATHER'S DAY AND YOU AS WELL!! AS SINGLE MOMS, WE DESERVE TWO HOLIDAYS!!!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #47  
Happy September

LAURA....WAS JUST THINKING OF YOU WHEN I WAS OUTSIDE IN THE SUN...THIS IS FOR YOU!!
Old 09-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Happy Sunday morning.

I'm at work. The water plant never closes and since I work on Monday and Tuesday I get the priviledge.

Mel
Sorry that you are having such a hassle. I'm debating on whether or not to retire in a couple of years. Enjoy the day.

To the rest enjoy your week end. Hope it's as cool as it is here. A nice 61 degree's this morning. It actually has felt like fall in the mornings this past week end.

Last edited by ceejay52; 09-05-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #49  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Happy Sunday Morning kids,

Well I finally bit the bullet and got tired of all this trouble with Internet Explorer and the ads on this website and switched over to Firefox. JUST TO VIEW THIS WEBSITE.

Shad - pictures are starting to come in from the earthquake. It really looks like it was quite destructive. And it's sad to say but I think I have to agree with you about NZ helping everyone out but yet will be on their own for clean up. I daresay the same to be said about the U.S.A. I guess it's the same thing as everyone figures the strong and independent child never needs help. My heart and prayers go out to these people. Looks like they will be affected for a long, long time. Can't believe the number of homes that have the facing torn away - looks like a tornado hit. Have you heard from your cousin yet?

Ceejay - if Monday is your normal work day and many of our holidays fall on Mondays - does that mean you get stiffed having to work most of them? I would think they would rotate to accommodate everyone.

Mel - we have cool breezes here too - it's actually quite pleasant sitting outside now in the evenings. I'm sure Jen will be cold but if it's cooler it might not hurt so much to close up the trailer for the winter. If it was still warm, might feel like - wait - there's still more time to enjoy - let's leave it open an bit longer and then the chilly rains come rolling in. Hope you're enjoying the nice weather - get some rest - sounds like you have had a long week. Tell the office to pay you IN CASH from now on.

DH and I are checking out places in New Hampshire (New Hamp-shah). It's not as far north as Wisconsin (surprisingly) even though very close to Canada (also surprisingly). Still trying to find that ideal place for retirement even though we have a few years to go.

Anyway - lots to do today so let me get off the computer. Have a good Sunday chicks.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #50  

Happy
Ahhhhh, the joys of dreaming about retirement! I know I'll be headed to Springfield, Mo. even though the aunt wants me to stay in this part of the country. There's absolutely nothing left for me around these parts. The closer I get to 62 the better I like the idea of retirement, and now that I have a nephew who works with the social security department I may just do it then.

I've got the electric stand by crew out and as soon as he calls me back I need to call the water/sewer stand by to go check on a lift station in he area.

More later.

Last edited by ceejay52; 09-05-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #51  

Oh I forgot to answer Happy's question about working on the Holiday's. Yes, I have to work most of the but I'm off for Thanksgiving and generally that's my long week end. That's the holiday I like the best.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #52  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
Nope - haven't heard from the cousin yet. But the news will come in from a couple of sources when it does so I will wait. Still no reports of deaths. I am in positive frame of mind. The son and dil live on the family farm and I know there has been a few problems with farms, silos, wheat crops and storage so there is probably much to do. As per normal everyone will assume that someone else has done the job.

Mayor Bob Parker - who used to be one of my neighbours in Wellington, has said that they are getting fantastic support from Government and private companies - donating their engineers and labours - and the army, airforce and navy are in there helping out. They can't rush this, some things will be fixed before the day is out, however they don't know what has gone on underground. The CBD is still closed off to the public and the kids can't go back to school until their schools have been declared safe. I understand the police and navy dogs had an interesting time on Saturday night. Plenty of people trying to sneak about so to speak. And they had to go find 9 people who fell in a hole! Must have been some size hole.
They have had the avalanche and cadaver dogs around and about as well and they haven't found anyone trapped under the rubble. That also gives me much hope.

Had a lovely dinner with my friend last night. We laughed and giggle and had a few drinks - including and expresso martini. That was interesting.

Ceejay - with a job like yours and mine, you get used to working the weekends. It comes a time especially when you are out in the bush, when you wake up in the morning and ask yourself what day it is. It's a way of life.

Happy - New Hampshire? - snowy winters? rainy April? But beautiful in the autumn.

Mel - poor Jen. There is no easy way for her is there? I hope this all gets sorted out and very soon. Chill out easy my friend. It's raining down here - supposed to clear today. I still did my walk to walk from the city train station this morning.

Okay - that's about it from me. I am about to put in my timesheet for last week, minus the times I left early, and then write a note to the man I think is my manager and suggest that if they can't come up with something for me to do, then maybe I should cut my hours back to maybe 3 days a week or 5 hours a day or something.

I'll be back later.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #53  
Choose your hard

New Zealand sits above an area where two tectonic plates collide. The country records more than 14,000 earthquakes a year — but only about 150 are felt by residents. Fewer than 10 a year do any damage.

New Zealand's last major earthquake registered magnitude 7.8 and hit South Island's Fiordland region on July 16, 2009, moving the southern tip of the country 12 inches (30 centimeters) closer to Australia, seismologist Ken Gledhill said at the time.

That's a whole lotta rumblin'. Just amazing (and good to hear) that no one has died although they attribute alot of that to the time when it happened and most folks were still home in bed. They said one of the plates shifted 11 feet up. Must be quite roly poly looking in the land there. I'd be afraid to be walking those cracked streets - I'd be thinking sink holes.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #54  

Yep - our earthquakes are interesting. Yes, the fact that it was 4.30am meant that not too many were out on the streets, but it would have been catastropic had it happened in say Sumatra or Taiwan where the building codes are virtually non-existent and everything just collapses like a pack of cards. If that had been the case, there would have been many, many bodies buried under the rubble. I'll not complain about the costs of builiding to code again.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #55  

Default Picture tells 1000 words

Attached picture shows what happens when the earth moves.

This was I think a car park in Kaiapoi. My dad was born and bought up not far from here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kaiapoi.jpg (36.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #56  
Happy September

CEEJAY....SEEMS LIKE WE'RE BOTH HAVING THE SAME BEAUTIFUL WEATHER. I CAN ALMOST SMELL THE LEAVES ON THE TREES BEGINNING TO TURN. I HOPE YOU HAVE PLEASANT DREAMS FOR YOUR RETIREMENT WHENEVER THT MAY BE I ALSO LOVE THANKSGIVING. THERE IS SOMETHING VERY SPECIAL ABOUT THE FALL HOLIDAY

HAPPY....HARD TO BELIEVE THAT YOU AND DH WILL RETIRE IN THE FROZEN NORTH!! AS MUCH AS I LOVE THE 4 SEASONS...NOW THAT I AM AT RETIREMENT AGE, I WOULD PREFER THE SOUTH NEW HAMPSHIRE IS SUCH A GORGEOUS STATE. VERY DIFFICULT TO RESIST SUCH BEAUTY. HOPE YOU BOTH FIND WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR

SHAD....I AM GAD TO READ YOUR POST ABOUT THE NZ AREA. STILL THIS MORNING THERE ARE NO DEATH REPORTS AS WELL. THINKING OF YOU AND THE FAMILY LIL SIS I SAW SOME PICTURES THRU AN AOL LINK....HUGE CRACKS!! THEY SAID THE PLATES WENT IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS....WONDER HOW MANY "HOLES" THERE ARE?!?!?!?
GLAD YOU HAD A GOOD TIME WITH THE FRIEND AND GOT OUT FOR A BIT. EXPRESSO MARTINI?? WOW!! BET THAT PACKED A PUNCH...CAFFEINE & ALCOHOL
SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING I COULD GET ADDICTED TO! MAYBE THEY WOULLD HAVE TO TAKE MY "DRIVER'S LICENSE" AWAY AS FOR YOUR JOB...THAT IS A VERY GENEROUS SUGGESTION TO MAKE. I'M NOT SURE AT THIS POINT IN MY LIFE IF I WOULD BE SOOO HONEST BTW, JEN SAID HELLO AND IS SOUNDING MUCH HAPPIER.

GOOD MONDAY MORNING CHICKS.
FOR THOSE IN THE USA....HAPPY LABOR DAY!!!
IT'S SO QUIET IN THE BUILDING YUOU COULD HEAR A PIN DROP. THE WEATER IS GORGEOUS AND THE WINDOWS OPEN. NOTHING NEW HERE. JUST RESTING FOR THE WEEK AHEAD. BETWEEN YOU AND ME, I'M NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO BEGINNING THE PHONECALLS ALL OVER AGAIN. THE PEOPLE DON'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN JEN'S AND MY VOICE SO I WILL TAKE A TURN TOMORROW. FOR NOW I AM GOING DOWN WITH THE RECYCLING AND GET SOME COOL MORNING SUNSHINE. BETTER FILL UP MY SUNSHINE TANK FOR THE MONTHS AHEAD

Last edited by MELODY525; 09-06-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #57  

Happy
Just remember that we sit upon top of the New Madrid fault line.

Mel
Enjoy the morning sun. I could be very contented if the weather stayed like this all year long.

Shad
Those were good pictures. And we are so thankful that you and your family is okay.

Michelle, Laura and Annie must be ennjoying their long week end.

The plant suffered some more mechanical problems last night. Ugh. And this morning we had a small power outage. I'm a bit suprised that no one is calling about garbage pick up today. Hopefully it will be quiet for the rest of the day.

I seem to do the best on the whole foods way of eating. I'm not much of a veggie eater but there are a few veggies that I like raw. I love fruit. And I'm using regular sugar instead of the artificial ones. I think those mess with my thyroid. I'll see how this goes for the rest of the month.

Last edited by ceejay52; 09-06-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: typo's
Old 09-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #58  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Good Morning Chicklets....

The lake was marvelous. Went tubing for the first time in like 30 years. Have some muscles in my arms that haven't been used in a while. Whew. Corn on the grill, pulled pork, salads, fresh fruit..watermelon..I made braunsweiger ball, cheese ball, fresh salsa, dark chocolate decadent cake with dark choc chunks and dark choc glaze...it lasted about 15 seconds. Also made pumpkin bread. HUGE bon fire. Fabulous!!

Shaddie...yikes, earthquake. Hope you have heard from everyone by now. How devastating.

MELLIE...glad you are back...lots of hugs and prayers. Wake up and say dear GOD send me your favor and I know I am going to get it....He will send it but you also HAVE to believe you will get it....it's crazy.

Chelle...saw on facebook you had a great time fishing. I am jealous, I love fishing and still haven't been in several years.

Ceejay...sorry you have to work. YUCK...at least you have us chickies to read. I know not much condolences.

Happy....New Hampshire area sounds beautiful....maybe you will run into Kelly Ripa now and then. She hangs out all around that area.

Laura...I think you are getting rain??? Not sure, but our weather is rockin. Maybe you are getting it too!

Not much else, gotta hop in the shower and cut the grass.

Love and Hugs,,,
Old 09-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #59  

Good Morning everyone!

Annie - Sounds like you had a fantastic weekend getaway! Not getting any rain at the moment. It's actually sort of blustery, with intermittent sun and clouds. I'm enjoying, but I moved from the yard to the 3-season room to get out of the breeze. It was making it hard to read the paper!

Mel - Glad to see you back here lady! Enjoy that cool weather and sunshine. Very good idea to keep a "slush fund". I don't keep a stash of cash in the house but if something happened and the banking systems couldn't be accessed, where would I be then?!?! I need to get one set up pronto. Good luck straightening out the mess when you get back on the phone tomorrow.

Shad - I think I saw the same site Happy did about the # of quakes in the NZ area - called the "ring of fire". I'm happy to hear NZ is getting some help locally. Thank goodness for the timing of this quake, and the good building codes. Hoping for no casualties.

Ceejay - Hope the mechanical problems haven't hung over to today and been a PITA for you. I like Thanksgiving too - seems to be the least commercialiazed of the holidays.

Happy - NH isn't as far north as WI?? Huh. Didn't know that. You'll have to let us know how it checks out for retirement potential.

Michelle - Hope your weekend is going well. Guess I'll have to pop onto fb...

Yesterday was pretty good. I relaxed in the morning with the paper, then trimmed some shrubs up front. These are the shrubs that won't go away, no matter that we cut them to the ground and tried to get all the roots out. They're quince, notorious for their sucker shoots coming up all over. I found a tiny fruit on the ground after trimming and took a couple tiny bites. Very tart (I'm sure being underripe has something to do with that), but sort of like an apple. Also trimmed the lilacs. Yeh, shoulda done those right after they bloomed in the spring...

We drove w/ bf's mother to the brother's place. There was a bet between the mom and the aunt about the number of guests. The brother said there would be about 15 people. The aunt bet less than 20, mom bet over 20. There were about 25-27, so mom won. I think a lunch was riding on this bet.

It was a nice time, and I'm glad we got to see the niece and grand-nephew, and the other siblings and their kids. It was the brother and his wife I wasn't too keen on seeing, and I have to say I kept my contact cordial and brief. Bf had a nice time w/ his brother and seems happy to have ended the "estrangement". I'm happy with that as long as the respect is there... Still not sure I like the strings they attach to the niece's financial assistance.

No plans today, except we need groceries. Just gonna take it easy and maybe grill something for dinner. It'll be hard going back to work tomorrow!
Old 09-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #60  
Choose your hard

Happy Monday morning chicks,

Back to work for Ceejay and Shad. Holiday for the rest of us. No doubt fall is in the air. But it is supposed to be 93 degrees today and the pool closes for the season on Wednesday so we are hoping to get one more swim in during the middle of the day when the sun is out enough to heat (at least me) up. We were sitting on the swing last night and I stuck my foot in the water. Brrrrrr. I think it's 78 degrees.

Spend a good part of the day yesterday waiting to get a pedicure, I had her wax my eyebrows too - just to shape them. She did a much better job than my hairdresser. I did stop and pick up some groceries at the specialty market but was running late so I picked up some Chinese take out food for supper and came back home in the early evening. Did several loads of laundry and watched a little TV. Today I have a few more loads to finish, my car desperately needs washing, I have a couple of things to pick up at the grocery store and I do want to go swimming. I also want to try out my new yoga CD tonight and I should tackle some hot spots. The weekend flies by way too quickly. Actually time home - be it weekday or weekend screams by.

I'm not a fan of winter at all. But the warm southern states have alot of issues that make it a not so ideal place for me to want to settle down, particularly as I get older. We are looking at cost of living, having a few acres of land (not alot but not on top of each other as is here), crime, access to medical care and we both want to get away from the big cities where people are truly going off the deep end. I am very concerned about the escalating violence of criminals and punks in general. It looks like alot of what we are looking for is to be found in those cold northern states. I'm sure a big part of it is overcrowding in the warmer areas. So... while I'm no snow bunny, as DH says - you have to make your list of wants and decide what you are willing to trade off to get the things that are most important to you.

Annie - sounds like you had a most marvelous weekend of fun and fooding. Good to hear - you certainly deserved it. The food and bon fire sounds great.

Ceejay - there is a huge debate over sugar substitutes. The people who use them will tell you that they have been around forever and there is nothing wrong with them. I can only speak for myself - every single one of them - the blue packet, the pink packet and Splenda - ALL of them give me stomach issues. I also think there's something to be said that several of the companies are switching from high fructose corn syrup back to sugar in their drinks. I know Pepsi was experimenting with something and Newman's own lemonade is made with sugar only. As for the New Madrid fault, I hope I am long gone from here when the quake hits - they say NM has been quiet for the last five years. There's another fault line heading north which is busy.

I'm trying to post here and DH is yakking away. I stop and listen. He stops and then 2 minutes later starts talking again. This is getting futile so I'm going to drop off and at least get something posted. Hope you are enjoying your day.

Shad - I hope you find something to FILL the day
Closed Thread