Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: How many people currently reside in your household?
1 1 2.56%
2 12 30.77%
3 7 17.95%
4 12 30.77%
5 4 10.26%
6 2 5.13%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 0 0%
10 or more 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 10:24 AM   #151  

Toni- Congrats on the anniversary! What fun taking a leisurely walk with your DH.

Fillise- Thanks for the GL chart. I’m going to print it up and keep it handy as a reference.

Deb- Wow! What a bunch of info. I’ll be doing my best to read that throughout the day. Thanks!

Adams- It is tough at the beginning, but after just a few weeks on the WOE you learn which brands you can get at your local store and in many cases, you learn to make things yourself (like Peanut butter as some of the women were recently discussing). My first few shopping trips when I started this WOE took about two hours. I’m down to an hour now and that’s because my toddler can be a bit cumbersome. He loves to investigate everything!

Sweetbeater- 2 pounds in two weeks is great! Don’t get discouraged, this means you are on the right track! My doctor actually wants me to lose only a half a pound a week. I think that’s a little too conservative but that’s his medical advice. A pound a week is an excellent amount. Just remember, the slower and more steady it is coming off, the easier it will be to keep it off!

VR- thanks for the tip about SB for Kids. I’ve been wanting to read that one. I have an 18-month old and I want to teach him the proper way to eat (not how I learned J).

Preciosa15- Can you share some of your goodie recipes on the recipe board? I’ve got a husband that’s worse than any kid about his sweets! I just about drives me nuts!

Well, got some good news yesterday. My cholestoral levels are normal. This was the first time I'd had it tested and I was actually a bit concerned about it. One less thing to worry about. Now I've just got to get DH's results in and see if I need to worry about him. I'm pretty sure that I will need to given his family history. Doesn't SB help with cholestoral (I know I'm misspelling that)?

--Kat
Old 01-09-2003, 10:24 AM   #152  
Goddess

Thumbs down Thursday Morning!

I have a meeting in a little while so won't have time to respond to everyone individually. I will talk about some of the general topics that have been brought up over the last day or so. This post is for EVERYONE!

For the newbies--I understand the impluse to read everything you can about this WOE, I still seek out as much info as I can find after 2 1/2 years following SB. Another good recommended read is Michael Montiniac's "Eat Yourself Slim." This is where SB came from in fact. Most people find it too technical--so if technical info is what you are looking for then you should definatly put this on your "to read" list!

I heartily echo Deb's admonition not to look for sweet substitutes too soon. As I said before--get all the sugar out of your system and see if you even want sweets anymore. Chances are you won't have much of a sweet tooth after a month or so.

Deb has also posted some good reading material and she also posts on a suggested reading board--if you haven't checked that out I highly recommend it.

I will try for a longer post this afternoon when I can respond individually. For now I hope all those headed to Orlando have a safe trips and a good time. Those of us at home will be expecting to see pictures ASAP! Deb, running will be a good way to pay tribute to your aunt.

Everyone else have a good OP day!

Susan
Old 01-09-2003, 10:34 AM   #153  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Good morning!

I got hungry just reading your post Deb....I LOVE quiche. Haven't had it in years though. Grabbed me an apple. I've never been much of a fruit fan but this week I've been enjoying some wonderul yellow apples the store had on sale. I can't get over how sweet they taste. I had a red one also...sweet. They came in handy when I was making the family fried pies. I did use agave in the fillings. They loved them.

Sweet beater.....hang in there. You will find the combination that works for you. You may find you have to drop one of your starchy carbs...or adjust your portions. I'm one of those if I eat bread or brown rice...I'm gonna have a little water gain...but it passes. Also a lot of times the inches really do come before the pounds.

Jack-K...I did my 3 mile walk yesterday also. Where you as surprised as I was the first time I did it. It really is a super workout and you can add so much to it as you get stronger. I'm looking forward to when I don't put the weights down when she asked if you need a break to put them down..LOL I'm like yes..yes... I'm alternating between Leslie and Richard...disco sweat...LOL

I agree with what everyone has been saying about staying away from the sugar...even the artificial sugar when possible. The first 8 months when I had most of my weight loss..the first 80 pounds I didn't have any sweets..exept an occasional bite of SF ice cream. As soon as I started adding a little coffee with splenda..or the occasional SF candy my weight stalled and the loss slowed down. This week only one cup of coffee and I've seen a big difference. Next week if the weight loss is still good I'll know for my body that the atificial sugars are acting like real sugar.

Mel..thanks for the eating tips. I can't avoid all the canned things but I do try. I do like frozen though...now because of flash freezing some veggies actually have better nutriental value then the fresh. I can't wait to get my garden up and running. I LOVE tomatoes straight off the vine.

Well, off to do some chores.

Love,
235/156/140-135
Old 01-09-2003, 10:35 AM   #154  
Maemae77536

Good morning to all.....Its another beautiful morning here in Houston (and i'm stuck inside) :-(

I had a good evening with my eating last night....I was really proud of myself because my meal came with dinner rolls and I held out and handed them over to someone else.....

I have a friend that is doing Atkins so she is somewhat like my "buddy" through this all.....In speaking with her SB is alot better than Atkins because we are allowed fruits and breads (brown)....Im trying to convert her as we speak.....But she is the type of person that can't have any distractions.....

Good luck to all...........I haven't seen any pounds drop yet but it is only the 4th day.....
Old 01-09-2003, 11:00 AM   #155  

Good Morning!

I did something different this morning and had Cheerios for breakfast. I don't think I will do that again. Took my car to the mechanic, and when my friend dropped me off back at home, I ate a piece of homemade ww bread with dab of Polaner all fruit on it. I am fighting the urge to go eat more. I think I need to stick with a high protein very low carb breakfast to keep the carb cravings at bay.

We had a weird situation here last night. There is a boy at my daughter's school that seems to be stalking her. He showed up last night, uninvited, without calling, at the door last night. She has tried to discourage him, but he just won't take no for an answer. If he had been ten minutes later, she would have been home alone. That scared me, cause he struck me as the type that would have pushed his way in if I hadn't been standing there with my 'bulk' to discourage him. He is a big guy too.... My daughter has been nice to him, not wanting to hurt his feelings. We told her that time for niceties is over. She never gave him her phone number, he got it from eavesdropping on her giving it to someone else. If she can't get him to stop calling her, and coming over, guess I will call the school next, then the police. Sigh.

One thing I noticed that encouraged me: Used to be when situations like this arose, and I felt stressed, I headed for the kitchen and stress ate. In fact, I rarely had an emotion I couldn't eat for. I don't seem to want to do that anymore. Perhaps I really AM making progress!

ADAMS: I love Asian cooking, and have even taught classes in Chinese cooking. I know what you mean about the Hoisin and other sauces. I tried to find ways to cook without the high sugar sauces. I make teriyaki sauce with soy sauce and agave syrup. It turns out very well. Instead of thickening sauces with cornstarch, I have used a bit of gum, which I don't mind, but my kids think tastes slimy. Now I just remove the meat and veggies from the wok, and boil the sauce down to reduce it, then pour it back over the stir fry. This seems to work fairly well. Instead of using prepared sauce, I use other seasonings more now. I love using fermented black beans. They are pungent, and with the addition of some garlic, and soy sauce, you have a great flavor with NO sugar. I go heavier on ginger, Szechwan peppercorns, onions, garlic and red peppers when cooking now. We don't miss the sugared sauces a bit. If you want some recipes, just let me know. There are a few on the recipe boards, too. I make my own Italian dressing, using Good Seasonings little bottle and mix. I use Balsamic vinegar instead of regular, and olive oil, and it is mightly tasty, and doesn't have sugar in it. As for chocolate syrup..seems someone posted a recipe for sugar free stuff recently. I know it can be made with cocoa, water, and artificial sweetner. You just want to be careful with the artificial sweetners, especially with children. If you could get them to use less syrup, and perhaps plain cocoa, increasing the cocoa over the syrup, maybe eventually, their taste for sugar would diminish. Good luck! My teen age daughter is a sugar junkie, and we have to work really hard to keep her from going overboard. Thankfully, she runs cross country and track, and keeps it under control.

QUILT: Another thyroid patient, eh? Glad you dropped the soy. Do you feel better for it? I know I did.... This summer, we visited my husband's aunt in Iowa and she is an avid quilter. Her work was so inspiring...I almost came home and started a quilt. Then I got mono...too bad I hadn't gotten started. I could have laid in bed and hand quilted, huh? Nope...I am terrible with hand stitching. I can use the machine tho! My sisters all did embroidery, but they declared me hopeless. I always did like messier things..so I majored in Pottery in college!

SWEET: If you stick to the program and don't see any progress, ask your doctor to check your thyroid. If your TSH is over 3, that indicates thyroid problems, and that may be why you don't see progress. I lose really really slowly...and it IS frustrating. Hang in there!

PRECIOSA: If you want to keep track and write replies to people as you read, open Microsoft Notebook while you are reading posts. You can click back and forth between the two and write replies as you go. Then, when you are done, you just copy and paste what you have written into the reply window on here. Someone told me to do that when I first got on here, and it sure made it easy to keep track and keep up. Eventually, you get to know everyone and it does get easier! Glad you are here!

MOM2: Yes, SB will help with cholesterol levels and triglyceride levels too! My husband had high triglycerides and high cholesterol, and the doctor told him to do SB. I had been doing it awhile and he got more serious about what he was eating. He always eats well as he is a body builder, but he started taking into consideration the GI of things he was eating. The good news is that his triglycerides were half what they were when he got rechecked. His cholesterol was down some too, but his is ALWAYS high, has been all his life, so he also takes Niaspan, and it is hard to say what helped more, the Niaspan or SB. The reason it helps to eat this way is that insulin is what tells your body to create cholesterol. Too much insulin makes your cholesterol levels too high. Reduce your insulin levels and the cholesterol levels drop too.

OK, time for me to go do something constructive. Perhaps I will take a nap!

Last edited by Ellen; 01-09-2003 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:25 AM   #156  

Good morning everyone. Will try to answer all the posts but have a hair app. in 30 min. Hope everyone is having a good Thursday. Its our last nice day. Tomorrow we've got a cold front. Brr. Need to hit the grocery store today and stop and visit my sis. So lots of outside doing..

Nomoresugar- Hello its good to see you posting again...

Melf- Have a wonderful time. I'm so excited for all of you...

Meliris- Congrads on being just 1 lb. above your pre holiday weight. You're doing so good.

Sweetbeater- some times when your weight loss is slow you can speed it up by watching your starchy carbs and maybe try staying away from them for a week to see if it would help.

VR- Just a howdy....

Debilli- Your food sounds wonderful. Wish you could e-mail a little of that here.

The Quilter- Guess we'll have to stay behind and hold the fort down while they're all out there having fun.... Guess we'll be the cheering team...

Jack-K- Wow three miles is sooo good. Keep that up!!!! Yum LOL what a breakfast...But aren't we all inventive when those cupboards are bare. I've been married 15 years. This is my second marriage.

Zanne- Its so hard when we're tired and hungry. Its so easy to grab something like chocolate. I can't even keep it in my house. Hows that mini trampoline? I've wondered about them. Would my flab beat me to death?!!!!! I've been thinking of jouraling too.

preciosa- Good luck on holiday detoxing I'm going through the same thing.

Mom2Marsh- Yes SB helps with the cholesterol and triglerites(sp wrong). I have heart disease and my heart doctor loves this way of eating. Good for you on your blood work.

Fillise You're running as usual.... Hope you have a good day..

CountryMom- Isn't it funny how wonderful fruit tastes. I'm not a fruit eater either but SB sure makes me one.

Maemae- Good for you on your evening of eating well. Its great to have a friend at least understanding what you're going through.

Well time to run. Have a wonderful day. And all of you going to the get together hope you have a safe journey and a wonderful trip. Do us proud..

213/166/130
Old 01-09-2003, 11:29 AM   #157  

Monet- Guess we were posting at the same time. Wish I could have went to one of your classes on Chinese cooking. Yummy!!! Thats so scarey about the boy stalking your daughter. I sure would call the police too if it kept on.... I have that same problem you had with the cheerios. If I don't eat protein in the morning I'm hungry all day...
Old 01-09-2003, 12:32 PM   #158  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Just wanted to post a few replies so I don't get so far behind:

Maemae, good for you giving those rolls away. That is willpower. I think SB is much better than Atkins, b/c I don't think Atkins is something you can do forever and SB is. You might lose a lot quicker on Atkins, but as soon as you start adding breads, fruit, back in, people seem to gain. I think SB changes your eating habits for good and that's what it is all about. Keep up the good work.

Zanne, Hope you are feeling happy today. You should be proud of yourself for going out there and getting all that good for you food. Next time you need a boost, come here before you reach for that chocolate bar. You know we are always good for a swift kick or a hug, which ever you need at the time. Good luck. You and your DS will have fun on that trampoline and he won't even know you are exercising.

Preciosa, By the sound of your post, yuo have a great handle on this WOE. It is great that your kids are doing this too and you have things for them to substitute. There is a lot of pressure on kids, but it is worse when they are overweight. Keep up the good work.

Mom2Marsh, There are bunches of recipes on the info board. You have to try Deb's Cheesecake. It is awesome.

Fillise, Doing SB for 2 1/2 years is a great testimonial that this is a WOE and not a diet. Plus it is so easy to do.

Country, yes I was suprised at the tape. I really didn't have any intention of doing the whole thing the first time, but it was easy and it went quickly. I didn't use the weights the whole time either. We will work on that one.

Mel, I got so involved reading your post, I forgot to respond to it. I agree with you about eating at night. A little protein is good for you. Not just a heavy carb meal. Most of us are nite-time snackers like chips, ice cream etc. We have to get into a different pattern of eating. A little cheese, nuts before bed aren't going to hurt you. Thanks for the insight.

Monet, I might as well not eat if I eat Cheerios. They don't hold me. Oatmeal will last a bit longer but I do better with protein. I think those carbs just make you hungry. How scary for your DD. Maybe she should tell him that if he doesn't leave her alone you are calling his parents and then the police. You are right. Being nice is not going to solve this situation. WTG on not stress eating. Yes you are making wonderful progress. I love you idea of something constructive!

Toni, I guess we are getting some of your weather. It is supposed to be in the 20's here all thru Sunday. Yuk! I want to go to Fla. I don't believe you have a lot of flab at 166, but if you are anything like me, I have a lot of floppy skin. I need a whole body tuck.

Bob, Sorry about the game last nite. Did you get to see it? UT would have won if the one big shooter hadn't fouled out. SLay is good, but hasn't he been there about 8 years now? BTW, where are you anyway. You haven't been on here lately. Shape up or I'm coming down there to check on you. Especially since it is so cold here.

Be back after lunch.

Jackie
257/165/145
10-10-01
Old 01-09-2003, 12:35 PM   #159  
Hanging in There

Smile I'm very proud of myself!!

Last evening I went to the grocery store--can you believe that Valentines candy is already out?? Puh-lease.
Anyway, while it was VERY tempting, especially the prices, I told myself and walked right on by! There were some goodies there too: Peppermint Patties which I adore, plus those little sugary valentines with the lame sayings on them. It was hard, but I did it!!!!!
Old 01-09-2003, 01:23 PM   #160  

Hi SB's...Miata here...Just want to tell you..still doing well, haven't had any sugar...going to a quilt meeting tomorrow and will have to bring my own food. they are awsome cooks and i know what ever they have will not be sb legal. Need to do more planning, etc. Can't post very much, got to get busy with my house...

Country Mom:::: Maemae Said you were from the Livingston area is that right??

Maemae: did I tellyou my sister-in-law lives in Houston??? yes and someday I will visit her esp when the quilt show happens...

Trish: thans for the Curves tips..it makes me realize I need to join the other exercise program at the college. i will prob take the dog walking but will definetly do the fitness lab..i really like that sweat!!! Trish..I would love to meet you at the quilt show!!! 2 of my art quilt friends went last year and just loved it...with my siser in law living there in Houston, I will diffently go..someday, maybe even next year.

If I don't get off this computer and clean house, dh is going to freak, so better go..Hello to all sb's and hope you have a good sugar free day..

miata
Old 01-09-2003, 01:29 PM   #161  
Maemae77536

Hello Miata.....Yes I live in the Houston area (Pasadena)....My step-mom lives in Huntsville and is a wonderful quilt maker.....She has made my kids quilts every year....I would love to learn but don't have the time....
Old 01-09-2003, 01:31 PM   #162  

Hi! Just popping in to say hello to everyone! I'm having a busy day at work, and so is Tranquil. We are trying to get all caught up since we both have tomorrow off for our trip to Orlando. So, you know what that means - Double Trouble on the way from J-Ville. Can't wait to get there and for all the fun to begin. I wish everyone were able to be there with us.

Besides, having fun this weekend, I'm hoping to get some fresh motivation. My eating has been terrible. Don't know why I've been having such a hard time staying in that wagon. I thought about going out at lunch and looking for a pair of pants that have a target in the rear end area since I will be expecting a "BUTT" kicking from Deb. Though I don't think she will have a hard time finding it, even if it isn't marked.

Don't have much time to make individual replies now, as I need to get back to work, however, I do have to say a big welcome back to Quilter! Good to see you on the board again, girlfriend. I've missed you and knew you would make you way back.

Will try to post again before going out of town.

Take Care,
Wendy
Old 01-09-2003, 01:39 PM   #163  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Miata....

Yes I live near Lake Livingston...actually in the Coldspring/Evergreen area. *smile* I saw you mention an rv park the other day but I'm not sure which side of Lake Livingston it's on. We live on the dam side of the lake. About 20 minutes away...maybe a little less.

Love,
Crystle
Old 01-09-2003, 01:41 PM   #164  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Sweetbeater- I would recommend only having about 2 starchy carbs a day-drink lots of water-increase your protein and veggies- and I bet you will see a difference! BTW- a pound a week means you could be 50 pounds lighter next year!

As for me, I'm at 213.5 today-only 1 1/2 Holiday pounds to go!! Thanks ladies for cheering me on!
Old 01-09-2003, 02:39 PM   #165  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Journaling

I have noticed a lot of people have talked about journaling. Some have resolved to do it this year. I tried it. Went for a few days then didn't have time once and never went back to it. Someone on another board was talking about the Oprah show yesterday about Obese people. Since I work I don't get to watch her. I went to her website (Oprah.com) and you can see what the show was about. But I noticed she has a place where you can journal on-line. In fact, it is 6 journals. Not only for weight, but for gratitude, health, etc. It looked pretty cool and you just have to become a member which is free.

Just wanted to pass this along in case someone wanted to look into journaling.

Jackie
Closed Thread