Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: How many people currently reside in your household?
1 1 2.56%
2 12 30.77%
3 7 17.95%
4 12 30.77%
5 4 10.26%
6 2 5.13%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 0 0%
10 or more 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 01:33 PM   #106  
Maemae77536

Good day to all.............I have to say today is a BEAUTIFUL day here in Texas (Houston)....Makes me want to go walking....Miata, Countrymom is from the Livingston area.....Beautiful area of the state by the way.....I wanted to know if any of the products off the Atkins diet are legal......i.e. the shakes or the chocolate bars....I was at Randall's and saw them and looked and saw no sugar for the chocolate bar.....Any help would be appreciated...Im still hanging in there on day 3.....Had real bad headaches monday and last night.....But today I feel better.....Take Care
Old 01-08-2003, 01:48 PM   #107  
VR

Quick good morning to everyone..

Miata... thanks for the info.

Last night I didn't eat anything after 7pm. I'm really working on that because I really believe it's my biggest problem!! And how easy is that really... I don't have to think about what I'm going to eat, I just need to keep my mouth shut!!

Gotta run...
Old 01-08-2003, 02:04 PM   #108  

Maemae- Those headaches can be sugar withdrawals. It takes a couple of weeks to detox... So hang in there.

Quivondra- WTG on the weight. Oh my gosh you're just ten lbs. from your goal and will surely make your Feb. goal......

Melf- Only two lbs. from your goal... Wowwie.. How neat about you DD. Thats so great for her and her children.. Get to packing!!!

CountryMom- Yippee for you, a great big three lbs... Be proud....

Miata- Well now you have a whole new week in front of you... Just keep taking that one day at a time...

Monet- Just a big howdy!!
Old 01-08-2003, 02:05 PM   #109  

Miata - I just love Curves. I try to get in 3 days a week and then walk or something between times. The woman at mine said that 3 times is really optimal. She said that the results between going 3 times a week or going more frequently were really minimal. Meliris, who does a lot of weight training, also mentioned that your muscles really need that time in between to rest. The first month I went, I lost almost 6 inches. I didn't measure last month because of the holidays, but I'm anxious to measure again. My clothes feel like I've lost more inches.

Maybe we could meet up at the quilt show next year. My neighbor went to the one this year with her mother and sisters. She's my walking buddy and it took 3 nights of our walks to tell me about the show. It seemed amazing. I've never been but I'd love to see it. I don't quilt, but my grandmother always had a quilt frame hanging in her spare bedroom. I have a print of an old house with quilts hanging on the clothesline that really brings back some sweet memories.

Trish
Old 01-08-2003, 02:16 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Speaking of QUILTING, I had a lady online that made Boogie a quilt right before his surgery. It's beautiful and just the right size. While in the hospital, we got lots of comments on it. I think it's great that she does this for heart kids. She didn't ask for any money but I sent her a donation to help at least with the materials.

WIW- I have lost 5 1/2 of the 8 holiday pounds. I'm at 214.5 today. I hope the scale is right since I'm using a manual instead of my digital. The kids broke it! So only 2 1/2 more pounds and I'll be back on track! WOOHOO!

236/214.5/165
HW:270
236 is the SB start weight
Old 01-08-2003, 02:20 PM   #111  

Hello all,

I am new to the boards, but not SB. I started in April of last year and lost 60 pounds..... unfortunately for me, I lost my way through the holidays and gained 10 of them back....

The good news is, I have been back on since the 1st and 2 of those pounds are gone.

I am so glad I found you guys, my friends and family still don't understand what it is I am doing and do everything they canto sabotage it. i even gave my mother the book to read, but she is adamant that I am hurting myself regardless of how much better I look and feel.

Anyway, I am looking forward to joining in on the discussions and learning a new trick or two.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:34 PM   #112  
acw
Cuddly Kiwi

Good Morning

Just a quick hi and then I'm taking the kids away to the country for the day. It's to save my sanity really so they won't drive me up the wall! I'll make you all jealous and tell you it's going to be around 20degc ( not sure what that is in F) I know you'll all get me back when it's winter here!!

WIW. The first for me so a starting point of 321. I sat down this morning and worked out a mini goal and an end goal so I've got something to work towards.

Must go now baby needs feeding and things to pack up before we head for the hills!

Will post later. I hope everyone has a great day!

Anna
Old 01-08-2003, 02:59 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Man, you go to lunch and come back and the board is full.

I'm really6 having trouble keeping up. It is such a good feeling so see so many SB gals here.

Gator, I have always heard thyroild affected weight loss so maybe if they get yours regulated then you will start losing better. Men always lose quicker. Gotta hate that.

Marsh, cute joke. WTG on your loss. See it works.

Fillise, I had to get on the scale. I was hoping it would shock me into eating right again. Sometimes if we face that number we can control it from getting any higher sooner. They will come off. Hang in there. WTG on getting to the gym.

Trish, I know what you mean about doing "boss" things. I'm always making reservations for mine. They really don't appreciate it, they think it's part of the job. Hang in there, if you are eating and exercising you will see results. Keep doing what you are doing.

Toni, How wonderful for you. :clap: I know that was the motivation you needed. Come on we are going down!!!

Quiv, Wow 7 lbs in 2 weeks is great. You will get to that mini goal before your set time.

Melf, it sounds like everyone is ready for the move. That is good.

Country, I'm doing the for you too. 3 lbs is awesome. It really does help to come back here and read everyone's ups and downs. I'm glad we are getting back to being losers.

Miata, gotta say no to those potatoes. Theya re a big no-no. You are doing great with your exercising. If you have to go eat with dh, just get coffee or something to drink. I couldn't imagine eating that late and then going to bed with a full stomach.

MaeMae, the headaches are from sugar withdrawl. You are just detoxing. Another reason not to cheat. You don't want to go through that again.

VR, good for you not eating after 7:00. It will get easier. Sometimes it really depends on what you have for dinner. If I have a really light dinner, then I am really hungry around 8:30. I really believe it is all in my head anyway.

Heartmom, that is so neat about the quilt for Boogie. Yeah for you. Only 2 1/2 to go. You can do it.

Preciosa615, Welcome to our board. It is a wonderful group here. Got to keep a firm stand with those people who try to sabatoge you. My goodness they should see how well you have done and be proud. 52 lbs is awesome. Keep up the good work.

ACW, mini goals are good. Also try to reward yourself when you lose, say 10 lbs. I did that and it really helped. It helps not to get overwhelmed with the big pictures. I had 110 to lose when I started. Now I have 20 to go. See it is possible. You can do this.

Gotta getsome work done here.

Jackie
257/165/145
10-10-01
Old 01-08-2003, 03:01 PM   #114  

Boring day.. had a heathly lunch though! Good to see everyone losing the weight though! Boyfriend is sick and I haven't been able fall asleep at night. I'm completely drained after taking care of him and lack of sleep..not to mention TOM! Ugh..only 3 hours left of work.

acw- 20 degrees C is equal to 68 F. The southeners wouldn't be jealous, but I sure am!!! It's freezing in New York. Keep up the good work and you'll get to your goal in no time!!

Toni - I think those last 7 pounds were water weight. They flew off as I stopped eating so much crap. The next 2 or 3 will be easy..but I have a heck of a time getting below 145.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:03 PM   #115  
Maemae77536

So I now know the reason for the headaches and like Jack-k said I definatley dont want to do this again.......

I know the Lindt chocolate is alright for a treat but what about the things from the Atkins diet.....I saw the shakes and chocolate bars and thought about that instead.....It said 0g sugar but had something about Sugar Alcohol but I also saw that it had Splenda in it........Also what about there meal replacements in a can? I looked at Slim-Fast (OMG sooooooooooo much sugar) but Atkins ones didnt have any?
Old 01-08-2003, 04:02 PM   #116  

Had to go into town to meet dd for lunch. We had the chef salad. Hit the spot. Also went to the bank. I had all but forgotten that I needed money for my trip:? Packing is coming along pretty good, just having a hard time deciding what to bring.

Thought I'd try to respond to a few posts while I rest

maemae, My middle DD use to live in Pasadena, but moved out to Dayton a couple of years ago. It wasn't long after a window blew out of their house in the middle of the night when a tank exploded at a nearby refinery. She likes the country living much better. I like the Atkins caramel nut bar. It's just like a Snickers but without all the added sugars. I figured if it was good for Atkins, it should be ok if eaten in moderation. I may have one once a week or so when the need hits me, but surely not on a daily basis.

acw, hope you & the kids have a great time in the country. Sounds like a nice relaxing time.

preciosa615, 60 lbs is a great number. Don't kick yourself too hard for the holiday lbs. You sound as though you are definitely in control of things & heading in the right direction again. Welcome to our group. So glad you found us. This is a great WOE & also a great place to be for encouragement & support.

Heartmom, you're doing so well to get those extra lbs off. You go girl! You'll soon be back in the loosing track.

Lyn, Trish, are you bringing dress clothes or just casual/jeans? Guess I should bring one dressy outfit for Sat. night? I'm afraid I always pack too much because of being unable to decide.

It's almost time for me to go pick up the boys at daycare, so I'd best get back to my task of packing. Decisions, decisions.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:03 PM   #117  

Default Greetings and a Happy New to you all.

I know it is a little late but I just got back from my vacation in Orlando on Sunday and have been busy since.

We had a great time although the weather was not as warm as I would have liked. But it was definitely better than what we left behind and returned to here. The kids loved Disney, as well as SeaWorld and Busch Gardens. We had two visits to Busch Gardens. The first time it was very busy and had long line ups for the rides but on the second visit it was much less crowded so was more enjoyable.

I can't believe how busy the board is these days. It's good to see lots of newbies also some oldies returning.

I gained 5 pounds while away. I was surprised it wasn't more as I really hogged out on the french fries and the occasional baked potato. Not to forget the baked potato chips which taste so much better than the regular ones. It's just as well that they are not available here as I might be out searching for them. Anyway I am back op since returning home and have already lost 1.5 of those pounds. Weighed in at 202.5 this morning. I was down to 199 before my holiday so hoping I can break that barrier again soon.

Monet and Mel so sorry you are not able to meet up with the gang in Orlando this time. You would of had a great time. I have happy memories of our get-together in March last year.

BOB - Sorry that you too will not be going.

VR and Quilter - Welcome back. It is good to see you posting again and jumping back on the wagon.

Melf - Glad to hear that your daughter and family are getting settled into their new home. I am sure it was a strain having such a houseful for so long even though I am sure you enjoyed their company.

Sol - Good for you standing up to that person on the doggie board. She sounds very ignorant. Thanks for the compliment. I am certainly no expert on the GI although I have read quite a few books and articles on the subject.

Debbie - Hope your aunts end is peaceful.

Well I was planning on a longer post but I have spent some time doing a search for some GI lists and have now run out of time. I found a few websites that some of you might be interested in checking out. They are all glucose based (i.e glucose = 100 which is what is used in the SB book).

http://members.tripod.com/pvdw/glycemic_index_lists.htm -

http://www.melrosebaptist.org/fit4a.html - This looks like the original Mendosa list

http://www.geocities.com/nk_gr/diabe...index_list.htm - Same as above.

I was hoping to find some more information and lists on the Glycemic Load but most of what I came across was a bit confusing. Will keep looking.

Sorry I can't respond to you all but I am so far behind and the board is so busy.

I have to think about getting dinner ready. Need to eat a little early to-day as I will be off to badminton this evening.

Bye for now.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:07 PM   #118  

man asked his wife what she'd like for her birthday. "I'd love to be six again," she replied.

On the morning of her birthday, he got her up bright and early and off they went to a
local theme park. What a day!

He put her on every ride in the park: the Death Slide, the Screaming Loop, the Wall of Fear, everything there was!

Wow! Five hours later she staggered out of the theme park, her head reeling and her stomach upside down.

Right to a McDonald's they went, where her husband ordered her a Big Mac along with extra fries and a refreshing chocolate shake.!

Then it was off to a movie -- the latest epic, and hot dogs, popcorn, Pepsi Cola and M&Ms.

What a fabulous adventure!

Finally she wobbled home with her husband
and collapsed into bed.

He leaned over and lovingly asked, "Well, dear, what was it like being six again?"
!
One eye opened. "You idiot, I meant my dress size."

The moral of this story: Even when a man is listening, he's still gonna get it wrong.

BOB
Old 01-08-2003, 04:23 PM   #119  

Well the sun is shining here in NE Texas but it's a dismal day as far WIW is concerned. I finally took the plunge and stepped on the scale and found that I've gained back 7 lbs from Thanksgiving and Christmas. But I did good yesterday and have done really well today so maybe I'm back on track. The article relating refined carbs and pancreatic cancer was an eye opener. I find myself thinking about that whenever I'm tempted. For those who are new to the board, my mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last spring.

PRECIOSA: Welcome to the board. WOW! 60 lbs is great.

HEART: WTG! You'll do it!

MIATA: Another quilter here. I actually haven't done much quilting. But I have pieced quite a few. My MIL usually does the quilting for me. This summer I tackled my first hand quilting job and it turned out OK. It wouldn't win any prizes but I had fun doing it. I'm hooked now and have another project in the works.

I had good intentions on getting to most of you today but I'm not gonna make it. This has taken all day. I have after school practice with some kids who will be in any minute. I'll try to catch up tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:29 PM   #120  

Rosalie, so glad to hear that you're finally home safe & sound. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your holiday! Now get to work on those 5 lbs. You're in good company to do it!

BOB, :LOL: Loved the And you're right about men still getting it wrong.

Tina, sorry to hear that it's a dready WIW. We just have to re-group. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off & get back up on the wagon with the rest of us.
Closed Thread