Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: How many people currently reside in your household?
1 1 2.56%
2 12 30.77%
3 7 17.95%
4 12 30.77%
5 4 10.26%
6 2 5.13%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 0 0%
10 or more 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 01:01 PM   #61  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Unhappy IN MOURNING

It's a BLUE, BLUE Day at Chez SolShine.....

I had to tell Meister and the "princess" that MEL and BOB will not be there to receive "kisses" and admire her ribbons.

Speaking of She got Winner's Reserve in the show on Sunday - It was a "major" meaning there were lots of dogs in her group, so it was a big deal for us. Of course, I had to pay the $25 to get our picture made with the judge. Proud Momma and Pappa couldn't have been more goofy acting. All the 'old timers' were really amused with us.

BOB, KATE is very blessed to have a wonderful daughter that loves and takes such good care of her....just don't tell MY mom or she'll start asking me where she went wrong!

MEL, I sure hope that ankle heals up quickly! I'll be happy to provide wheelchair duties, too, if you decide you can't live without seeing DEB cross the finish line and strutting your stuff in the fashion show.

MONET, my dad used to put a jar in the kitchen every month with our lunch money for school. When it was gone, it was gone. If we spent it on other things then we went hungry. He did lots of other MEAN things like that when I was growing up - and, considering how I turned out - I hate to think of what would have happened if I hadn't had such a mean old Daddy!

YELLOWROSE - For clothes in Florida - I have one word for that - LAYERS - It will be 30 degrees in the morning and 70 degrees by lunch time. Me? I'm thinking of getting some flourescent jackets and multi-colored striped socks to wear with my skin tight leather pants so I can run up and hug DEBBIE when she crosses that finish line!

I'm outta time, Gals..... WELCOME to the newbies on the board!! You're definitely in the right place!!

Old 01-07-2003, 01:34 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 285/210/130

Height: 5'1

Trying to get back into my regular grove now that the kids are back in school hurah!

GatorGal
Have your daughter check out http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/
My mom used it to help her quit. They have a great support group.
Tell your daughter to hang in there. I quit after 15 years and haven't smoked for 4 years now. It's the greatest thing in the world! Well besides SB

Mom2Marsh
Triskets have been my main source of holding off the munchies. I don't know what I'd do without them!!

heartmom
I cannot wait to see the scale drop below 200 too! I keep on going because I know if I don't it never will.

lindarn
Welcome to the group! You can use splenda as a sweetener it's legal. Agave tastes a whole lot better though!
Old 01-07-2003, 02:07 PM   #63  

Miata- Great attitude re: weigh ins! I’ve really struggled to overcome the desire to “falsely” lower the numbers on weigh-in day. I just make sure to weigh at the same time of day and leave it at that.

Fillise- Can you share your bread recipe? My SB friend and I are going to have a baking day soon and I’d love to try that one out.

Gracious- Yes, you have another sister in Christ on the board! I’m also lucky enough to work as a receptionist/secretary at my church (hence why the music minister’s candy dish serves as constant temptation!). I’d love to be a Stay-at-Home-Mom to my 18-month old son, but circumstances don’t allow that. I feel very blessed that I get to serve the Lord so directly in my work.

GatorGal- How’s your daughter doing? I’m praying for her success!

Well, today has gone well. I went out to lunch with my SB buddy and stayed legal. I'm headed to my MIL's for dinner which should be interesting. I love the woman to death but I swear she deliberately sabotages me when I'm dieting. She knows SB backwards and forwards and knows that I'm doing it. In fact she knows that as an overweight diabetic she should be doing it also. Does that stop her from serving fried chicken and potatoes with rolls for dinner every time I come over? Of course not! I'm foiling her this time. I've packed my own meal! Luckily she's not the type to be offended.

--Kat
Old 01-07-2003, 02:41 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Lin- also, read the labels- if it says over 3 grams of sugar(like in the cereal) stay away. 3 and under is okay.

ACW- I read the posts from my fellow SBer's and their menus they had for the day- and almost always I eat ALOT more than that. But it's all in what you choose to eat,also. I drink lots of water and have increased my protein(helps with the sugar cravings). I woke up this morning after 5(early for me) and had a NSA yogurt and an orange. By 9, I was feeling hungry so I made me an omelette(2 eggs,1sl cheese, and 1 sl ham). Probably in an hour I will make a big chef salad and have Kraft's Lite Done Right Three Cheese Ranch dressing(if you love ranch, then you gotta get this! just go easy on it..) I may eat a piece of fruit or something about an hour before supper. Supper tonight is going to be hamburgers, salad, and whatever veggie I decide to throw together.

Okay, I'm still at 215 today(3 more to go!). I'm REALLY wanting to loose 10 pounds within the next 4-5 weeks! It's time to start loosing again.....
Old 01-07-2003, 02:52 PM   #65  

Someone posted about the juice and it's sugar-MAEMAE? All though it doesn't have sugar ADDED to it, it's the natural sugars in it(26 g). But it's always better to eat the fruit itself than the juice. Something about the processing increases the GI with the juice. But, I sneak a glass of orange juice from concentrate from time to time Legal, but only in moderation.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:03 PM   #66  
Maemae77536

Thanks Heartmom......Im gonna try and drink only a glass in the morning.......For dessert today I had a cupful of fruit......Im on the right path (finally)
Old 01-07-2003, 03:24 PM   #67  
Goddess

Thumbs down afternoon all!

The board is so busy that I feel like I need to pop in twice a day just to keep up!

Just had an egg salad sandwich for lunch--yum.

maemae--heart is right--the fruit is better than the juice. I try to have grapefruit or an orange in the am. But juice without added sugar is ok in mederation and the book suggests on an empty stomach.

heart--souns like a good menu for today--you'll get to 199 in no time!

mom2marsh--it's a bread machine recipe--will that work for you? If so I'll be happy to share it. I'll try to get it on the recipe board in the next day or so. I'm the DCE at my church--and our secretary keeps a big bowl of candy on her desk--plus the senior minister is a sweet freak so he is always bringing sweets to our staff meeting--actually the church (or rather the people in it) is the biggest obstacle to my weight loss!

Sol--you must be so proud of the Princess!!!! Belle is a champion napper--just like her mama!

ok back to work though I'd really rather spend the time here.

Susan
Old 01-07-2003, 03:41 PM   #68  

Fillise- Bread machine recipe is perfect. I'm really freaked out by the thought of making bread on my own!

How true about the church members!!! I was doing really well before the holidays hit. Then as soon as Thanksgiving arrived, it felt like the entire church body collectively thought "Um, let's all back cookies, cakes, pies, homemade candy and bring it to the staff!" We actually had to clear a desk off in the reception area (where I work, of course) to hold all the goodies! You just love 'em to death for thinking of you, but it's hard to have to look at it all day. I put on 8 pounds between Thanksgiving and New Years.

Well, I'm off to get my plain yogurt w/polaner's all-fruit from the fridge. It's one of my all-time favorite SB treats. I'm heading to the HFS tonight to get some legal chocolate. I'm getting near that time of the month and I need to be armed and ready with a healthier option!

--Kat
Old 01-07-2003, 04:13 PM   #69  

Just a quick post before I head off to Curves again, I did one round already but since my stomach was strating to grawl, and I have a tendency to get low blood sugar if I exercise on an empty stomach I thought I had better go eat..

Anyway here is the official TOPS WEIGHT IN::::

So that will be my starting point. i like it..It is under 200 and that is good. The group of ladies are so funny, most are in there 60, 70, or 80's....but I don't care, it will be fun, Christ decided to join curves with me..and if we do our walking tog, that will be great..My dog will like it. I actually know 2 people who go, they are quilters from my big quilt guild.. It was so nice to meet and talk with them..I will show my quilts to the tops group next week.

I will write back later to tell you of my evening!!! So far did good. Had small bowl sw, and for lunch I had sauted pork in O fat, green beans with a little feta cheese, and prob a 1/2 cup of sweat potatoe, and a pear..

What do you think about acorn squash???Any one know the gi number thing for it??? I really like that kind of squash and am hoping it is not considered a sweet potatoe..

bye for now

Kathy
Old 01-07-2003, 04:15 PM   #70  

I am still playing with my packing. I have a list I follow so I will be sure to include all my creature comforts.
However, I need to finish playing and get on to some other activities. I decided to take a break and see what is
happening on the board. I am glad to see that it is very busy. Debbie will be proud of us.

Jack-K: I guess that I just blocked that statement about not eating after 8 PM. I bet it would be better for a person
but my schedule does not always permit that. You sound very calm for someone whose DD is getting married just
next week. Having something you feel good about wearing helps, I bet.

Maemae: Although juice is good, I think that having the whole fruit is better for you because of the fiber and it
takes longer to eat. I see others have also suggested the whole fruit, I guess, we are all in agreement then.

Gracious: I understand what you mean about being above the board stated weight. I did not go back in and
change it but now I am back to that weight and I don’t need to. YEAH!

Solshine: Thanks for the information about what to wear for the race. I will be putting a little light hat and more
layers in the suitcase now. I will be happily waiting for you ( camera in hand ) to welcome Deb across the finish
line in such fine attire.

Rest break is over.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:25 PM   #71  

The board is busy- I was bored and got back on the computer...

Fillese- Thanks for the words of encouragement(and everyone else).

Okay, I got thru with my chef salad and I was still a little hungry so I ate a slice of WWSF bread topped with peanut butter. I use the Jif's simply. It has only 2 grams sugar for 2 tbs. BTW- I have been eating artificially yogurt forever now. I really like the sweetness of it-but am concerned about the effects the AS might have. So how do you guys make your plain yogurt yummy? I don't have any agave..

MIATA- don't think I ever had acorn squash before, but I eat yellow squash all the time. The yellow is low in carbs and natural sugars.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:44 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Goodness we are a talkative group this week. I guess we need the extra support to get going.

Getting ready to head home. walk, workout and work on wedding list will be my agenda tonite.

Music, we were posting at the same time. Stay out of that lounge now. We are ALL getting to goal this year, so come join us.

Toni, I know you are going to have a good WIW tomorrow, I can just feel it.

maemae, There isn't a certain # of times you can have juice, but you get more fiber and the real fruit is better for you. I try not to drink alot of juice. Just in the am and in smoothies. (and with my vodka - but I'm not doing that anymore).

Gracious, I think you have caught up with me and left me in your dust. I hope to be at 162 soon though. More than anything I want to see a 150 #

Solshine, The Princess is doing great in her shows. I know you must be very proud. You're not bribing those judges are you??? All I can say is someone better take tons of pics of this event. I got such a laugh out of your "outfit".

Cherylco, you are so close to 200 you willbe there in a couple of weeks. Keep on Keepin on and you will see it before you know it.

Mom2Marsh, WTG girl on taking your own dinner to your MIL. That is being prepared. I am so proud of you. That's the way this thing works.

Fillise, Egg salad, yum one of my favorites. SOmetime for breakfast I will have a hard boiled egg sandwich (open face with mayo).

Miata, 199.5 is a great place to start. Remember only 1/2 sweet potatoe counts as 1 starchy carb. Squash is a veggie.

Yellowrose, My DD wedding is not next week, it is the week after Derby. I'm sorry didn't make myself clear. I have 4 months to worry.

Good luck to everyone for WIW tomorrow.
Are we having CHAT tonight? I will try to look in around 9:20. I assume we are all still in one room? Don't like that. ish we could get our own room again.

Jackie
257/167/145
10-10-01
Old 01-07-2003, 04:45 PM   #73  

heartmom- I add Polaner's All-Fruit or other similar jelly to my plain yogurt. In fact, I just finished some!
Old 01-07-2003, 04:59 PM   #74  
Little Engine That Could

Thanks you Monet for explaining about the p-nut butter. It was a great, and correct, description. And anything other than “natural” or the kind you grind yourself, will probably have hydrogenated oils, also known as trans-fatty acids. They are bad!!
If you are afraid of the oil that comes with natural p-nut butter, even after mixing it in, wait for it to separate again and just pour some of it off. Debelli does that. It probably will make your peanut butter rather dry, because it is naturally oily, unless it is Jif or one of those brands with the bad “extras.” Actually, the article I read in Eating Well said that natural oils such as that in peanut butter, were really pretty good for you and would help to lower cholesterol.

ACW--I don’t think there is anyone else here from NZ, but one of the scientists who has done a lot of work on the Glycemic Index comes from either NZ or Australia ( I can’t remember which). You might get more information re. this on the mendoza.com website, as he uses a lot of her data for his GI tables. Her name is Dr. Jenny Brand. It really doesn’t matter to us that you are 12 hours different from us here on the east coast of NA, or 8 hours from us on the west coast. This board crosses all country borders. It is a worl-wide community of friends we have here.

Monet--Your comment: “There is some question on whether your brain decides to release insulin just from the taste of sweetness alone. “ makes me wonder about that also. I had a very healthy SB “legal” breakfast of SB pancakes, a pat of butter, SF syrup and fresh fruit. By 10:30 I was thinking “food”. I would have eaten a candy bar if it had walked by. That was unusual, and I am thinking that the sweet taste in the syrup perhaps triggered this. This might have been something associated with an unnecessarily high rise in my insulin levels in response to that sweet taste. Next time I’ll try them w/o any syrup and top them, perhaps, with sautéed apples.

Mom--I loved your comments about churches and food. What IS it about Christians and food??? I volunteer one day a week at a crisis pregnancy center and it has a Christian basis to it. And there is always tons of candy, nuts, crackers, etc. They staff think they are being nice to us volunteers by having it there. Showing their love for us, stuff like that. But actually, it sabotages me. It actually is NOT loving, really, and I am in a quandry as to how to handle the myriads of temptations I face when I am there. When I fall off the wagon, it invaribly is either there or on Sunday night at our small group get together. Any suggestions, anyone?

Am having pork tenderloin roast for dinner. It is cold here, and that sounds hearty. I fix it roasted with red and green cabbages sautéed with Granny Smith apple and a little balsamic vinegar. Also probably will fix an easy version of ratatouille (that is, w/o eggplant). I’m gonna split the 1/2 pound of pork between 3 of us, so it will be mainly veggies with a bit of meat on the side.

Gotta go. Want to get a 1.5 mile walk in before DH gets home.
BTW, my DD made an appt. with a holistic health center for help to get off the coffin nails. She is going there on Friday for some accupuncture, some drops to help, and, I think, some tea and some stuff to put in bath water to soak in. Thanks for all your kinds words and prayers sent up for her. I think the prayers will help the very most of all.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:19 PM   #75  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Howdy ya'll!

Sitting here reading all the neat post ya'll have left today. I should have taken notes so I could write back..but I admit it...I'm lazy today.

WTG Kathy! I think it's great you ate normal before your weigh in. That way you don't have to worry every week if you have a bite or two.

Some one asked about juice...I persoanlly don't drink it because I don't want all the nautural sugars. As many have said fruit is sooooo much better for ya. Though, if I don't eat enough I will have a bit of juice to jump start me and give me a little energy. I'm also one of those who tries not to eat after 7. They say it takes like 3 hours for your food to digest. I think it also helps me to not add calories to my day I don't need.

Welcome to the new people that I've missed over the last few days!! This group is precious. You have come to a wonderful place for ideas, support and encouragment.

Love,
Crystle

235/?/140
Closed Thread