Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: How many people currently reside in your household?
1 1 2.56%
2 12 30.77%
3 7 17.95%
4 12 30.77%
5 4 10.26%
6 2 5.13%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 0 0%
10 or more 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 03:01 AM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Post Sugar Busters Weekly Support Board 1/6-1/12

This is the
SUGAR BUSTERS WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD
where all of you who are following this WOE, or are thinking about doing so, are welcome to come join in and be a part of our wonderful group.

Other than finding support and friendship on this board, we also try to do something during the the week to add a little difference to our board.

MONDAY-MOTIVIATIONAL MONDAY
TUESDAY-TUESDAYS TIPS & FACTS & CHAT AT 9:15PM EST
WEDNESDAY-WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY-THURSDAY RECIPE DAY
FRIDAY-FRIDAY FUNNIES

Please take some time to check out our extensive recipe boards. Our RECIPE BOARDS can be located at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=89

We have SEVEN INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! New information is continually being posted, so please make sure you visit them often!!! The boards are listed below as well as the link that will take you to the boards:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD
THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD
THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD
MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD
MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS
SB 2002 BIO BOARD
SB 2001/2002 PHOTO ALBUM BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=87

We also have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on which is located on our weekly support board:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=23426

Then there's our latest addition to the SB BOARDS which is called OFF THE EATEN PATH This board is for everything NOT related to SB. You can use this board to post questions or comments on just about anything (okay, within reason). A book you recommend, a cleaning tip, a great website deal, etc. etc. Here's the link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=90

NEWBIES! (aka new members) If you would like to REPLY to any of our threads, please hit POST REPLY not NEW THREAD, then type your message in and hit SUBMIT REPLY. If you need to edit your reply, just click on edit located in the body of your post and make changes as you need to, then hit SUBMIT NOW.

WELCOME!

Old 01-06-2003, 03:03 AM   #2  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

GOOD MONDAY MORNING EVERYONE!

Will post my usual morning post sometime later, as you can see, I'm up in the middle of the night and can't sleep, but wanted to make sure I got our
MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY
done early in the morning, so here's my contribution for MM, I think they are all good, and I hope you read them and in between the lines as well

LEARN FROM IT

When the result is not what you expected, learn from it. When you get the result you want, learn from that too. Every experience is a wonderful opportunity to learn. Wisdom comes from learning the difficult lessons which experience teaches.

With wisdom comes respect, authority and effectiveness. You pay a hefty price for wisdom, and yet what you get is even more valuable than what you paid. It is indeed difficult to console yourself to "learning from this" when things fail to go your way. It is much easier to get angry, to get depressed, to complain or even to forget about the whole thing. But when you
do that, you end up paying the price without getting any value in return.

Whatever happens, let it increase your wisdom and, ultimately, your success. Whatever happens, get past the concerns of the moment and learn from it.

Copyright 2001 Ralph S. Marston

THE BEST EVER

To make this new year the best year ever, start small. Start with one small moment, this one you now have, and put into it all your energy, your enthusiasm, your passion and commitment. Make full use of what you have right here and now, whatever it may be. Though it may not seem like much, this small moment can put you solidly on course for magnificent positive achievement.

To make this new year the best year ever, keep going. Though challenges and disappointments will certainly come your way, you do not have to go their way. At times you will know discouragement, yet there is no value in continuing to be discouraged. There is every reason to continue moving forward, no matter what, for that is the best response to every discouragement.

To make this new year the best year ever, take responsibility for it. Instead of making excuses or assigning blame, put your energy into focused, creative effort, into creating value, into living with purpose.

This new year can be the best year ever. Because it will be for you whatever you are willing to make it.

-- Ralph Marston

Have a wonderful day, and a fabulous week!!!!!

Debbie
194/1??/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 01-06-2003, 07:27 AM   #3  

Good morning!
Hope everyone has a great OP day. I just got on the scale & $#^*&%! Well, who's fault is that?? Thought I was doing ok but.... Anyway, I'm off to work.

Yes, I'm the one that voted with 6, yes count them...6 people in my household. We're all praying that the weather will hold out & that the movers can get DDs double wide moved in by the end of the week. Wouldn't it be wonderful if I'd get back from my Fl trip & she & the boys were moved back home? It's been 3 months!

OK, I'll calm down now & go to work
Old 01-06-2003, 07:58 AM   #4  

A new week and the kids are officially back in school. Things are getting back to normal with regards to my usual routine and I am a person who likes routine to keep things in order.

The junk food has dwindled down to a reasonable amount and all the tastiest stuff is gone so the temptation to eat it has been quenched. I have been exercising every day from Monday to Friday and taking the weekends off so I am looking for good things to happen on the scale.

Haven't really had a chance to read the boards thoroughly, only popped in here and there so I will start fresh with today. Hope everyone is recovering well from the holiday eating and getting re-focused. Just think....summer is coming and that means shorts and t-shirts and I want to be able to wear them, how about you?! I better get moving!
Old 01-06-2003, 08:51 AM   #5  

Morning! Hopped on the scale this morning, and I am down another pound. Only one left to be back to where I was hovering before the holidays!

I feel really tired this morning, but I have a ton of things to do. I have to get my fixed flat tire, get an alignment, take down the Christmas tree, and clean up the mess my daughter and her friend made in the kitchen. They were experimenting and made a chocolate cake. They swear they did not use a recipe, but it looks like it turned out really good. Perhaps a bit dry, but they ate some and liked it. I think they had a few other experiments that did not turn out well. Half of my carton of whipping cream was gone, along with a can of tart cherries. hmmm...

I spent a lot of time researching online last night about getting recertified to teach. I am thinking about going back, and noticed there are even openings for art teachers listed online in Georgia. Guess I will see what all is required and make a decision from there.

GRACIOUS: Good to see you back! I have missed you! Hope your Christmas was a wonderful celebration of the birth of our Savior!
Old 01-06-2003, 09:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Happy Monday

It's going to be a long week. The first one in a while that contains no holidays.

I was so good over the weekend. Made it thru happy hour drinking only ice tea. Then to a bar and drank water. Sat went to 2 parties and drank diet coke and water. Eating was good. Except I think there was sugar in the bbq sauce at one party. But no cake or goodies.

The cupboard is getting bare. Won't be able to get to the grocery until this weekend. Hope we can hold out.

Well I have spent 1 1/2 hours reading all the posts from the weekend (boy was it busy) so I had better get some work done.

Trish, Yeah for you losing a pound thru the holidays. Those beans and sausage sound good. Think I'll try it.

TV, I'm with you. Don't know how I'm going to make it days this week. Great idea walking on your lunch hour. Two of the girls I work with exercise with me during our lunch hour 2-3 days a week. Glad you had a good time at disney. Hope yur DH's knee gets better. Men can be such big babies.

Sweetbeater, You didn't offend anyone. We are easy to get along with. Just trying to help you along. Nice on the job. If you are talking about frozen ww waffles watch out. They probably aren't really ww only enriched and they aren't legal.

Fillise, Glad your traveling is over. Sorry about your GA. Yes Auburn & Ga were the only SEC teams to hang in there. Thanks for the info on the new book.

Gator, It's usually in the 30's when I walk. I just bundle up. The only that gets cold are my cheeks. The say you burn more calories walking in the cold. I keep telling myself that anyway. There's no flour in your pancakes? Taking 1 day off is a good idea.

Cherylco, Welcome back. Glad you did so well over the holidays. I have the same problem with diet cokes telling the from the real ones.

Miata1, Good for you making it 2 days. The next ones will be even easier. I think Curves is a great idea. I don't want to spend a lot of time exercisng either. I think you can stick with it better doing it shorter times.

Toni, How's you're not eating after 7:30 doing. I was starvig last nite so I had some air popped popcorn. It is easier during the week for me than weekends.

Scooby2, 4 days OP good for you. Keep up the good work.

Mel, I was good over the weekend. How horrible about your ankle. Keep it propped up.

Monet, Those GI index really confuse me too. The wedding is May 9th. We are kicking it back into gear since the holidays are over. They bought a house over the weekend so now we have to deal with that too. I love kids. Can I borrow some of the diiretics. 6 lbs is awesome. My 2 cents on the Geo Foreman Grills. Get one that the plates come out so you can wash them in the sink or dishwasher. I hate cleaning the GF. I won't use mine they are so hard to clean. Glad there is only 1 lbs left. it will go soon. Good for you getting back into teaching. I admire teachers.

Sugarless, You are not alone in holiday eating. Just come on back to the wagon. It is hard to get back on track. Just another eason not to quit.

Heartmom, good for you being OP 2 days. It will get easier. Those 6 lbs will be gone before you know it. That SF candy can do it to you. Good idea on the exercising. Shame it doesn't come off where you want it too. for you putting that candy back. I'm proud of you.

Mom2March, WTG on 2 days OP. Keep up the good work.

Yellow, Those ritas are hard to resist aren't they.

Sef, hope your ear is better.

VR, Welcome back. Sounds like you have a great plan. Good luck.

Bob, I'm sorry you won't make the trip. I know you are disappointed.

Melf, Sorry you are unhappy with the scale. Hope it gets better. That would be nice surprise to find your DD moved out. You will miss them though!

Gracious, I need routine too. I do so much better during the week. I can get my fruits and water in. Weekends just keep me out of kilter. Let's get going.

Deb, the MM was great today. I especially liked the learn something. If we cheat and gain, then we should learn that is what happens. When we lose we should look back and see what led us to that loss and learn to keep doing it. How is your GA? I feel for you now being the only walker in the marathon. Wish I could come down there and join you.

Have a great OP day everyone.

Jackie
257/167/145
10-10-01
Old 01-06-2003, 10:05 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Someone just sent me this so I thought we all could relate:

THE MONTH AFTER CHRISTMAS

'Twas the month after Christmas, and all through the house
Nothing would fit me, not even a blouse.
The cookies I'd nibbled, the eggnog I'd taste
All the holiday parties had gone to my waist.
When I got on the scales there arose such a number!
When I walked to the store (less a walk than a lumber).
I'd remember the marvelous meals I'd prepared;
The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared,
The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese
And the way I'd never said, "No thank you, please."
As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt
And prepared once again to do battle with dirt--
I said to myself, as I only can "You can't spend a winter
disguised as a man!"

So, away with the last of the sour cream dip,
Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip
Every last bit of food that I like must be banished
'Till all the additional ounces have vanished.
I won't have a cookie, not even a lick.
I'll want only to chew on a long celery stick.
I won't have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or pie,
I'll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.
I'm hungry, I'm lonesome, and life is a bore---
But isn't that what January is for?
Unable to giggle, no longer a riot.
Happy New Year to all and to all a good diet!
Old 01-06-2003, 10:16 AM   #8  
Goddess

Thumbs down Good Monday Morning!

Motivational tidbit!

In case you need another resaon for a low GI lifestyle, this is from the Jan. Prevention magazine:

"Two new studies suggest that eating a diet high in refined carbohydrates (which raise blood sugar and insulin levels) may put women at risk for two kinds of cancer, including one that's usually fatal. But there's also a new improved tool that may provide an easy and accurate way to choose the foods that will protect you from both.
Looking at data from the 18-year Nurses' Health Study, National Cancer Institute researchers found that sedentary, overweight women who ate diets high in added sugar and white flour (both refined carbohydrates) had a 53% increase of pancreatic cancer, which has a 5-year survival rate of only 4%.
The second study, which looked at the diets of more than 2,500 Italian women with breast cancer and an equal number who were cancer-free, found that the women with breast cancer ate more foods high in refined carbohydrates. Those kinds of foods, such as white bread and cookies, boost blood sugar and insulin levels while triggering a rise in the insulin-like growth hormones that are linked to breast cancer risk."

The tool to combat this in the Glycemic index and the improvement is the concept of glycemic load:

"The GI is a measurement of how fast and how high blood sugar and insulin rise after you eat enought of a food to total 50g of carbohydrates. By that measure, both white bread and carrotshave high GI numbers of 70 and 71 respectively, suggesting that they both send blood sugar soaring. In fact, that's only true if you eat more than a quart of carrots compared with just four slices of white bread. By contrast the GL measures the effect on blood sugar of a normal serving of food. By this standard, the GL for two slices of white bread turns out to be more than five times higher than the GL for 1/2 cup of carrots. Cancel the carrot warning!"

So if your motviation weakens, just think about the health benefits of getting the sugars and refiend flours out of our diets!

BOB--so sorry you cannot make the trip to Orlando. You aren't having much luck with travel plans are you???????

Jackie--WTG on resisting the drinks while you were out! hey--it's only four months until derby day!!!!!

Monet--Congrats on getting all but one pound of the holiday weight off! I actually lost weight over the holidays, but I put on a lot during the fall campaign so I am nowhere near my low. But the scale is finally going back down.

Gracious--The holidays are nice, but it is also good to get back into the routine.

Mel--good luck getting your house back!!!! But your DD is lucky to have had your support while recovering from the storm!

Deb--enjoyed the motivational posts this morning!

Off to a good start this morning:

1/2 grapefruit (no sweetner or, God forbid--sugar)
Coffee
1 slice of homemade WW bread with PB and SF cherry jam.

About 10:00 I'm going to have a SF yougurt.

Tuna fish and CARROTS for lunch.

My challenge--lets see if I can be really motivated and get my arse back to the gym!

Have a good Monday everyone!

Susan
Old 01-06-2003, 10:32 AM   #9  

Why Women are Cranky
> >
> > We start to "bud" in our blouses at 9 or 10 years
> > old only to find anything that comes in contact with those tender,
> > blooming buds hurts so bad it brings us to tears.
> >
> > Enter the almighty, uncomfortable training bra contraption the boys in
> > school will snap until we have calluses on our backs.
> >
> > Next, we get our periods in our early to mid-teens (or sooner). Along
> > with those budding boobs, we now bloat, we cramp, we get the hormone
> > crankies, have to wear little mattresses between our legs or insert
> > tubular, packed cotton rods in places we didn't even know we had.
> >
> > Our next little rite of passage (premarital or not) is having sex
> > for the first time which is about as much fun as having a ramrod
> > push your uterus through your nostrils (IF he did it right and
> > didn't end up with his little cart before his horse), leaving us to
> > wonder what all the fuss was about.
> >
> > Then it's off to Motherhood where we learn to live on dry crackers
> > and water for a few months so we don't spend the entire day
> > leaning over Brother John. Of course, amazing creatures that
> > we are (and we are), we learn to live with the growing little angels
> > inside us steadily kicking our innards night and day making us
> > wonder if we're having Rosemary's Baby. Our once flat bellies now
> > look like we swallowed a watermelon whole and we pee our pants every
> > time we sneeze.
> >
> > When the big moment arrives, the dam in our blessed Nether Regions will
> > invariably burst right in the middle of the mall and we'll waddle
> > with our big cartoon feet moaning in pain all the way to the ER.
> > Then it's huff and puff and beg to die while the OB says, "Please
> > stop screaming, Mrs. Hearmeroar. Calm down and push. Just one more
> > (or 10 ) good push," warranting a strong, well-deserved impulse to
> > punch the ******* (and hubby) square in the nose for making us cram
> > a wiggling, mushroom-headed 10lb. bowling ball through a keyhole.
> >
> > After that, it's time to raise those angels only to find that when all
> > that "cute" wears off, the beautiful little darlings morph into
> > walking, jabbering, wet, gooey, snot-blowing, life-sucking little
> > poop machines. The teen years. Need I say more?
> >
> > The kids are almost grown now and we women hit our voracious sexual
> > prime in our mid-30's to early 40's while hubby had it somewhere
> > around his 18th birthday (which just happens to be the reason all
> > that early hot man sex got you pregnant in the first place).
> >
> > Now we hit the grand finale: "The Menopause," the Grandmother of all
> > womanhood. It's either take the HRT and chance cancer in those now
> > seasoned "buds" or the aforementioned Nether Regions, or, sweat like
> > a hog in July, wash your sheets and pillowcases daily and bite the
> > head off anything that moves.
> >
> > Now, you ask WHY women seem to be more spiteful than men when men get
> > off so easy INCLUDING the icing on life's cake: Being able to pee in
> > the woods without soaking their socks...
> > Now I love being a woman but "Womanhood" would make the Great Ghandi a
> > tad crabby.
> >
> > Women are the "weaker sex."? Yeah right. BITE ME!!!!!
> >
> >

BOB
Old 01-06-2003, 10:51 AM   #10  

Unhappy Monday

Happy Monday - I am still walking around with this creeping crud in my lungs and sinuses - I am on my 3rd round of antibiotics! But, I will be in Orlando regardless - even if I have to be wheeled in a wheel chair....

This is my first day back to work, and I weighed despite the fact that I am SO SWOLLEN!!! and I am horrified that I have gained back just about every pound I had ever lost...though I know with exercise, stop taking all this medicine, and eating back on program again, I will drop it since a lot of it is water and infection...

Just call me a whiney walking germ....

So - just wanted to say Hello to everyone and that I am still here... I don't know how legal Egg Drop Soup is or how illegal it is - but it sure does make a body feel good when they are sick like this....

Sabrina
Old 01-06-2003, 11:14 AM   #11  

Good morning everyone. Wow the first of the week already. Hope I'm losing pounds. I sure have tried my best to stay OP. I watched Suzanne Sommers on the Today show. Her diet sounded very close to SB. She said the same things white flour, white rice, sugar...... Its so surpriseing how many people are finding that this is the best way to eat..

Debilli- good message today....

Melf- Wow you've really got a full house. I'll bet its hard to cook for everyone and stay OP. Hope you get your house back when you return from your exciteing trip. What a way to get some motivation...

Gracious- Glad you got your routine back and now is the time..... Yep spring is just around the corner and this is the time to start. We can do it gal....

Monet-Congrads on the pound. You're doing really well.... Hope you go ahead with your teaching...

Jack-K- Wow you had a great week-end. YOu really need to give yourself a pat in the back!!! You inspire me... Its working so far not eating till after 7:30. We'll see what the scale saids Wed.

Fillise- Way to go girl!! Your menu looks great. And I love to see peoples menu's. You can get to that gym!!! We can do this......

Bob- Love your Why Woman are Cranky... How ya doing?

Tranquil- Well you know lady that the sickness causes bloat so when you get over this nasty stuff you'll have a better weigh in. So sorry you've been so sick and hope you get well soon.

Okay got a busy day planned and need to walk on my treadmill. Have a great OP Monday....

213/171/130
Old 01-06-2003, 12:25 PM   #12  

FILLISE: I was lurking and saw your post...I had to laugh. If that article is from Prevention, they sure are eating crow now! About four years ago, I was on Atkins and they published an article that totally slammed The Zone, Atkins, and Protein Power, and then stated that the healthy diet was one that followed the food pyramid. They then put their diet plan out, and it was basically a pretty much vegetarian high carb/low fat diet- the same diet I gained weight on! It is nice to see the truth is finally coming out in all these new studies.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:32 PM   #13  
Little Engine That Could

Jack-K--Nope, no flour at all in the pancakes. Just those 3 Tablespoons of raw oats. I fix mine in a mini-food processor. When you whirl the ingredients, it chops the oats some, and that is the starch that holds them together. They are really good tasting, low GI and low cal. What more could you ask of a pancake?!

Fillise--Good luck getting to the gym to work out.

I got my 3 mile walk in this morning. I have a really busy week: two nights of classes and 1 night of a meeting. Then we have tickets to go to a symphony on Friday, and on Saturday off to Gainesville to watch the Gators play basketball against the UGa puppies. Iíve been hoping to do 2 walks each day, each 2 miles, which would give me a total of 4 miles daily. But with my busy schedule and being out almost every night this week, Iím relegated to one walk per day. Iím happy I got to do 3 miles this morning. Tomorrow I work at the womenís pregnancy care center and it will be tough getting in the 3 miles. Especially since it is supposed to be cold here in the early morning which makes it harder to get out there and walk.

Last night we went to our small group get together that we have every Sunday night. It is a study, friendship and prayer group. Everyone brings something to eat so we have a small potluck dinner. It always is predominantly no-no high GI foods. So, smart me fixed a great salad to take so I could have a nice meal and not feel deprived. Would you believe that we got half way there when I realized that I had forgotten to take my salad. So I had mainly fruit (thank goodness someone brought some) and some chicken breast, and a nibble of my rice casserole (low GI but high cal). Iíll have the salad for dinner tonight.

I answered the weekly poll as 2 people because it is my DH and I. However for several days this week we have our daughter staying with us. She is trying to quit smoking and is having a really rough time. Her hardest time is when she gets home from work until she goes to bed. She is alone and has some time on her hands so she fills it with smoking. So, she decided that if she stayed here for several days she might get over the hump of the cravings and could be successful for the long haul. So, we have 3 for this week. Hope that her plan works and she can ditch those coffin nails.

My motivational thought for Monday is aimed at anyone who believes in God. It probably wonít be motivational for anyone who doesnít.
Here it is:
Make every act of eating an experience of worship. God is not just there on the day we attend a worship service. He is in every act we do every day we live. He cares about all the tiny details of our life, even how we handle food, and He does not want our love for Him to be supplanted by our love for food. Therefore, when we eat, make this time an act of worship to God by our attitude and how we eat.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-06-2003, 12:42 PM   #14  

Hi All. Just have a few minutes..have to make dh his 7 grain cereal that i get from the flour mill. Good tasteing stuff except one of the grains is guess what??? corn..I don't eat it...I eat either shreded wheat /bran or an egg with WW toast.

Day 3 went great..We went out late (12:00 am )last night for a snack. Jim forgot to eat so he had dinner, I had toast. It was Denny's so it prob wasn't real good WW toast but at the timeit tasted real good and it wasn't the usual green shake or pie alamode. Next time maybe I will bring my own toast to toast, and bring the apple/peanut thing..I can't wait to get me some natural peanut butter from Raleys!!! I love pb and promise not to eat the whole thing, just dab it on the apple..

Today starts day 4, have some good ideas of what I want to do...They have tri tip on sale at one of our stores, so i will go get one and have dh cut it up and we will have tri tip steakes and I will be able to freeze a few too.

I will everyone a wonderful Monday...

Kathy
Old 01-06-2003, 12:59 PM   #15  

MIATA: Ok, I give up...what is tri tip steak? I have honestly never heard of it! (is it the same as whole sirloin tip?)
Closed Thread