Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: How many people currently reside in your household?
1 1 2.56%
2 12 30.77%
3 7 17.95%
4 12 30.77%
5 4 10.26%
6 2 5.13%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 0 0%
10 or more 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 04:45 PM   #121  

Default Help

I am having such a hard time jumping back on the SB wagon. Two questions.
1st question:
I am having sugar cravings so bad. I tried to curb with sugarfree candies or cookies but that isn't working and besides as I'm sure some of you know the terrible side effects. What can I do to fight these cravings? I have lost before but the holidays killed the control I had.
Second question:
My work scheduled changed and I need help on trying to figure out when I should be eating lunch or what I should eat when.
I begin work at 7am ( I usally eat protein for breakfast around 6am)
1st 15min break is at 8:15
Lunch is from 10:30 to 11:30
2nd 15min break is at 2:15
I end work at 4pm
Unfortunately I cannot change my schedule at all since I am a customer service rep on the phone.
Can someone please help me.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:50 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

maemae, don't know anything about the items from the Atkins diets, but sugar alcohols will give you the runs. Slim fast is a no-no. Why would you wnat to drink those instead of eating real food?

Melf, still packing? Just throw it all in there. From the sounds of things planned, you better bring a plastic rain suit. I think it is going to be messy, pillow fights, food fights, etc.

Rosalie, glad to see you are back and had a great time. Don't worry about those vacation pounds, they will disappear before you know it.

Bob, cute joke.

Music, If you mom had pancreatic cancer, then the more reason for you to do SB. I think facing that scale is good. It shocks back into being good. Those extra pounds will come off quickly and you will be ont he downward path before you know it. Remember, we are ALL getting to goal this year.

Jackie
Old 01-08-2003, 04:50 PM   #123  
Maemae77536

Hi Sugarless,

I'm also new at this.....Today I found chocolate bar from Atkins called Endulge.........Believe it or not it was great......I'm just getting over the detox headaches and am feeling much better.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:53 PM   #124  
Maemae77536

Jack-k...........thanks for the word of advise about sugar alcohols.....i was just looking at the drinks from a smoothie standpoint..........sometimes it hard in the morning to get going with 2 small kids......lol
Old 01-08-2003, 05:04 PM   #125  
Goddess

Thumbs down Busy board!

Goodness! I'm glad to see everyone on the board this week!

So far so good today. I had some black bean soup and a small salad for lunch. It was good.

Music--hop on the wagon! A lot of us goofed up over the holidays!

BOB--Ha Ha! Heck, I'd love to be even 12 again.

Marie--Glad you are home safely and that you had a good time. Just get back to the plan and you'll be fine! I found a site on the glycemic load yesterday. It is a pdf document but it lists the GL and GL of lots of foods. Very interesting.

Glycemic Load

According to this the GI for chocolate cake is 38. The GL is 20. What's up with that? According to last month's Prevention, anything with a GL of 20 or above is considered high. 10-19 is moderate, and below 10 is low.

Anyway, those of you who are curious might want to take a look at it.

Who asked about Adkins? I can't handle the taste of the Adkins bars and have not tried their other mixes.

For the new folks--don't be fooled by some of the research you see that shows M & Ms with a low GI as well as some other candies. They are still loaded with refined sugars and you really want to get that poison out of your system. Chocolate with more than 60% cocoa is fine. It is verybittersweet and is an aquired taste, but there are some health benefits to dark chocolate so I
will have a small piece of a Lindt bar or a Schiffenderger bar from time to time. But you will find that the longer you stay away from sugar, the less you will crave chocolate and other sweets. I would never have beleived it but it is true. I also suggest going through detox completly (about 2-3 weeks) to cleanse you system of the sugars and then see if you even want it.

OK gotta go back to work now.

Have a good afternoon and evening everyone!

Susan
Old 01-08-2003, 05:24 PM   #126  

I just read all 9 pages of posts -- it sounds like everyone is getting back on the wagon. I am trying but am finding it soooo hard. I am trying very hard to make today day#1 of healthy eating. This board helps me get motivated.
It looks like the Orlando trip is this weekend. Have a great time--I know you all will. I want to hear all about it.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:29 PM   #127  

Fillise - Thanks for that site for the GLYCEMIC LOAD. It's the best I have seen yet. I think it is good that it gives both the Glucose and Bread based GIs as well as the serving size AND carb content.

Marie.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:53 PM   #128  

Fillise,

I am having a hard time finding where the refined sugars are so bad. I mean from what I'm reading it's all about the insulin and the GI and GL are what you look at to get an idea there.

So I start looking at different GIs for different foods and they are low on a lot of foods even though sugar busters says to stay away from them. It is a little confusing to say the least.

It kind of goes like this:

(new sugar busters book)
Refined sugar is bad stay away from it, same with refined white flour. Why is it bad? It causes fast and high releases of insulin in the body which can be very bad for you (some mention of GI).

(more research)
Why do some of the foods they say stay away from have such low GI/GLs? What makes them bad if they don't cause massive insulin releases?

I just picked up The New Glucose Revolution book to try to clear some of the technicals up. I finished the new sugarbusters book this weekend.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:14 PM   #129  
Goddess

Default About that refined sugar . . .

Adams, I'm glad you asked that question. I've also struggled with that question. From all the reading I've done over the past few years plus my own experience this is what I've figured out.

Refined sugar is as addictive as cocaine (I'm not kidding here). Many, many folks on this board will attest to the withdrawal symptoms that we went through while we were getting the refined sugars out of our bodies. If you continue to eat refined sugars you will continue to crave them. And let's face it, most of us are here because we have not been able to consume small amounts of sugars. We overindulge.

A strong second reason is that calories from refined sugars are truly empty calories. Refined sugar has no nutritive value. If I eat foods containing natural sugars (e.g. fruit) then I am also getting vitamins and fiber--and the fructose does not do nearly the number on my blood sugar. Read Dufty's Sugar Blues for a discussion of why refined sugar is bad for you.

Refined flour is bad for the same reason--the grain has been so over processed that all of the nutrients and fiber have been removed. The body breaks it down more quickly and it is absorbed faster into the bloodstream. Whole grains have more of their natural nutrients and fibers--always a better choice.

Jeanie Brand-Miller has done much valuable research on the Glycemic index and the glycemic load, but she is still too hung up on dietary fat.

Hope this helps.

Susan
Old 01-08-2003, 06:41 PM   #130  

Sugarless - If you are having such bad sugar cravings maybe you just aren't eating enough. You don't say what you eat at breakfast, just protein. Perhaps you just aren't eating enough to tide you over to your next meal/snack. Anyway I don't think it is a good idea to snack on sf candies or cookies. This will only increase your cravings. I think some nuts, a piece of cheese or some fresh fruit would be a better choice for a mid morning/afternoon snack. For lunch try to eat some protein, a piece of chicken would be a good choice, and some veggies and/or salad. You don't mention what starchy carbs you are eating. We should be having no more than 2 or three servings a day. Maybe you could have a slice of whole grain bread at lunch and add some oatmeal or other legal cereal at breakfast. Just my 2 cents worth.

If you posted a typical days menu maybe someone would be able to give you some other suggestions.

Gotta run.

Marie.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:56 PM   #131  

Default Question

Here is a sample of what I eat in a day. Could you please let me know if I am eating enough.

Breakfast
Protien shake(yogurt, no sugar verylow carb protein powder and mix fruit blended together) Or a couple of slices of meat and cheese or sometimes a slice of bread w/PB&J

AM snack
A piece of fruit ( apple, orange, etc)

Lunch
salad and a piece of chicken and veggies

PM snack
Another piece of fruit

Dinner
I cook various SB chicken or turkey receipes and lots of veggies and a salad

Dessert
A piece of fruit or 1small piece of chocolate 85% cocoa
Everyones input is greatly appreciative
Old 01-08-2003, 07:06 PM   #132  

Susan,

Thanks for the quick reply! I like to get into the technical details of issues and "The New Glucose Revolution" looked like a book that would have some good technical info on GI/GL (hopefully it wasn't a waste of money on the purchase). The new Sugar Busters book is what alerted me to GI in the first place.

I will take a look at the Sugar Blues as well.

The whole thing seems to be important. Especially in light of the fact that we are finding it extremely difficult to find foods that have no added sugar. I am truly amazed at things with sugars in them.

All the chinese sauces we love for stir fry, Italian dressing, you name it sugar is added. All the stats about the problem in the sugar busters book really comes to light when you look at the added sugars in foods. I am reading in these forums that small amounts of sugars like below 2G per serving is acceptable sometimes which I think might have something to do with how hard it is to find foods without sugar added (at least ones people are used to).

Also, it appears it has to do with the "type" of sugar as well. I need to read up on all the different types of sugars and the names for them on labels.

Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:51 PM   #133  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Evening All

My Aunt finally did pass away. I went to see her today and 45 minutes after I left, she died. Boy, she did hang in there, longer than anyone expected. Thankfully, she's out of pain now and in heaven, for sure. Her funeral is Sunday, the kids will go with my parents. I will run/walk in her memory at WDW.

Haven't had but a minute to skim the board VERY quickly, so can't address everyone individually, but want to make a couple points to things I did see.

NEWBIES If you haven't done so already, please post your BIO on the BIO BOARD so we can learn a bit more about you. The link is below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...0&pagenumber=1

Also, NEWBIES hope you don't mind a little bit of advice. I don't think it's a good idea, esp. at the beginning of this WOE to try and find an alternative for sweets such as Atkins bars, or SF chocolate. The idea of this WOE is to get the sugar out. One problem with SB that they surely didn't fix in the new version is about chocolate. Number one, they don't say, as Montignac does, that you shouldn't include it until maintenance, and they don't say how often either. The idea of getting the sugar out, well, what kind of sense does it make to eat chocolate from day one? Your body does NOT know the difference between real and fake sweets, your brain doesn't know that you are giving it false sugar and doesn't allow your body to detox, hence, you continue to have your sugar cravings. Unless you do this WOE 100% and allow your body to detox from the sugars, you'll continue to crave sugary junk. Please take my advice, don't eat that stuff, at least at the beginning of doing this WOE. If you allow your body to get it out of your system you won't crave it. I have a lot of"tips" but this is one of the most important.

Also, for those of you who are newer to the board, if you should ever want to chat on the phone, as I do with many of the gals on the board, you can e-mail me your telephone number. I have FREE NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS on my cellphone plan and would be happy to talk to you whenever. I've had the wonderful opportunity to meet so many people from the board, past and present (will be 23 total after this weekend) and have had the opportunity to talk to many more. Just wanted you to know that I'd love to include you as well

Okay, cheesecake is done, have to go to the oven, then try to do a few other things - I'm not ready - does that surprise ANYONE!

Will try to give a quick hello to you all in the morning!!

Keep the board hoppin' while I'm away!!!!!

Toodles

Deb
Old 01-08-2003, 07:55 PM   #134  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

SUGARLESS, I don't know what you currently weigh, but unless you have just a bit to lose, it doesn't look like you're eating enough. PLUS, I'd tell you to STAY CLEAR OF THE CHOCOLATE at this point - just my humble opinion. Also, watch your fruit intake, depending on the amount of what you are eating, it could hamper you a bit. Remember, approx. 40% of your intake should be carbs, 2-3 starchy carbs. If you want, e-mail me with your current and goal weight and I can give you a bit of info.

[email protected]

Debbie
Old 01-08-2003, 07:57 PM   #135  

Wow its hard to keep up with the board lately. I really need to keep posting and not lag behind. It was such a beautiful day here in Missouri that my DH and I went for a walk at the campground near here. Its our anniversary today so we've just kicked back and enjoyed the day.

Bob- Loved your joke and its soooo true....

Music Teach- Glad you got on the scale and got that nasty part over with. The holidays were a killer for me this year and one I hope not to repeat. So come on gal we can do it...

sugarless- So sorry you're having such a hard time. That happens to all of us if we get off program. Its darn hard to get back on and sometimes you have to take just one hour at a time. Be sure and get far away from the carbs. Drink lots of water and think positive. You can and will do it, you're stronger than you think. Just keep trying and trying and it will come. It takes about 2 weeks to get through detox. Then you're on your way....

Fillise- Hadn't thought of black bean soup for awhile. Need to get the stuff and make some that sounds awfully good... I liked your post about sugar... It really make one remember how bad sugar is for you.

linworthlady- Hope you made it through day 1. Just keep trying and you'll get it. Read the SB book again to give you some motivation. Or good to the Sugar Buster site and look at the sweettalk board. Keep posting lots.. We're all pulling for you...

Rosalie- Good to see you posting.. I wondered where you were.

adams- Hello there I don't guess we've met yet.

Well think I'm caught up again. LOL.... Have a great evening..

213/166/130
Closed Thread