Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: Have you had the good fortune to (you can choose more than 1 answer, if it applies)
Met at least one person from this board (past or present members) 5 14.71%
Met more than one person but less than 5 people (past or present) 4 11.76%
Met more than 5 people but less than 10 people (past or present) 4 11.76%
Met more than 10 people (past or present) 2 5.88%
Talk to at least one or more people on the phone somewhat regularly (past or present) 6 17.65%
E-mail at least one or more people on a regular one-to-one basis (past or present) 8 23.53%
Haven't met anyone yet, but I hope to one day soon 10 29.41%
Haven't spoken on the phone to anyone yet, but hope to one day soon! 5 14.71%
Haven't e-mailed anyone regularly yet, but hope to done day soon! 2 5.88%
Just joining the board, so give me time!!! 5 14.71%
Have no interest in meeting, talking or e-mailing, just being on the board is enough for me. 3 8.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 07:29 AM   #121  

Default Friday

Just got a disturbing email from CNN Breaking News...
"Officials close an 80-mile section of Florida's I-75 and impose a no-fly zone in the area. Suspects are held following a terror alert"
I am hoping and praying all the Florida girls on the board and their families are safe. {hugs}

Not a nice way to begin a day. On top of that, but paling in comparison, all of our brand new windows have condensation on the inside of them this morning. It was a cold night but I am wondering what that is all about. I would hate to think we had them installed wrong or something.

Not many posts since my last one...

DEBELLI-You have been so busy lately. We are missing you but understand you have a hectic life to live nowadays!

BOB-Whatever happened to that weight loss contest thing you had going at work? Did they get a winner yet?
Old 09-13-2002, 07:41 AM   #122  

Default Its Friday! Hooray!

I have had fun playing with the DSL. Funny, but I can't think of a lot of places I want to go surf the web at. I would rather read a book!

We had a potluck dinner for the Cross Country team to attend last night. I made a ww crust chicken pot pie. I did not eat anything but a spoonful of the pie and a bit of salad. I had a few grapes when we got home too. I woke up at about 4 starving...but put off eating anything until 7. I hope this translates into some improvement on the scale!

Here is something for Friday Funnies:

The following breeds are now being considered for recognition
by the AKC:

1. Collie + Lhasa Apso - Collapso, a dog that folds up for easy transport

2. Spitz + Chow Chow - Spitz-Chow, a dog that throws up a lot

3. Pointer + Setter - Poinsetter, a traditional Christmas pet

4. Great Pyrenees + Dachshund - Pyradachs, a puzzling breed

5. Pekingese + Lhasa Apso - Peekasso, an abstract dog

6. Irish Water Spaniel + English Springer Spaniel - Irish
Springer, a dog fresh and clean as a whistle

7. Labrador Retriever + Curly Coated Retriever - Lab Coat Retriever, the
choice of research scientists

8. Newfoundland + Basset Hound - Newfound Asset Hound, a dog for financial
advisors

9. Terrier + Bulldog - Terribull, a dog that makes awful mistakes

10. Bloodhound + Labrador - Blabador, a dog that barks incessantly

11. Malamute + Pointer - Moot Point, owned by...oh well, it doesn't matter
anyway

12. Collie + Malamute - Commute, a dog that travels to work

13. Deerhound + Terrier - Derriere, a dog that's true to the end

14. Bull Terrier + Shih Tzu - Bull Shih Tzu, a gregarious but unreliable
breed

I'll be back later! Have a great day everyone!
Old 09-13-2002, 08:45 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Happy Friday the 13th,

Good morning everyone. Hope all is well with everyone today. It is cool here again, 59 this morning, but didn't feel as cold as yesterday. I think the winds were down today. Got my walk and workout done. Now to do the ones at lunch with the girls.

Saw the story on TV about the terrorists in Florida. I was wondering since it was Friday the 13th if something would happen today.

Gator, It all that close to you??? Be safe

LKF, Just a little advice, I started with at least 110 lbs to lose. I waited until I had about 50 off before I started working out trying to tone this stuff. I had always walked, but I added some weights and floor eaxercises for lower body and I can really tell the difference. I am smaller at 172 now then when I was 172 years ago. I really believe the wt training helped alot. I have slowed down considerably on my losing, but I will get there eventually.

Bob, aren't Nathans, the ones they have in NY? If so, I didn't like them. Call me silly, but give me the ole floor scrapings hot dogs.

Deb, That's ok about posting. We understand that you are busy. Nice just to say Hi!

Gracious, say that same story on TV this morning. I believe it was in Orlando. At least they caught them.

Monet, I too have trouble finding places to surf when I find I have extra time. Guess I just don't know enough about the whole internet thing.

I was so happy with the scale yesterday, that I peaked again today. Not happy today, right back where it was the day before. I think I need to hide it awhile.

Have a good day, I'll be back later. That's a promise.

Jackie
257/172/145
10-10-01
Old 09-13-2002, 08:54 AM   #124  
Mel

Default Friday the 13th

Starting on a light note: Here's my Friday funny:

Make Me Feel Like A Woman

On a recent transatlantic flight, a plane passes through a severe
storm. The turbulence is awful, and things go from bad to worse when
one wing is struck by lightning.

One woman in particular loses it. Screaming, she stands up in the
front of the plane. "I'm too young to die," she wails. Then she yells,
"Well, if I'm going to die, I want my last minutes on earth to be
memorable! Is there ANYONE on this plane who can make me feel like a
WOMAN?"

For a moment there is silence. Everyone has forgotten their own

peril.

They all stared, riveted, at the desperate woman in the front of the
> plane. Then a man stands up in the rear of the plane.

He is gorgeous, tall, built, with reddish-blond hair and hazel eyes,
he starts to walk slowly up the aisle, unbuttoning his shirt

......one button at a time.

......No one moves.

.......He removes his shirt.

.......Muscles ripple across his chest

......he whispers:

....."Iron this."

Hope none of the Florida Gals were attempting to cross the state thru alligator alley this morning!!! Debbie- you're not visiting BOB or visa versa today? How scary! will have to call my brother in Ft. Lauderdale and see what's up! It's his b'day so I need to call anyway!

Toni- before I gave them up, I ate Hebrew National Hot dogs, and their big spicy ones. YUM. Ony kind my family will eat too! Not full of filler or junk. The rabbis say so!

Gracious- Sure hope your windows are OK! Soon that will be frost, not condensation. YIKES! About the body fat question- yes most athletes, depending on their sport keep their body fat between 10-17% . I've been doing a body building type workout and diet since about last January and have built some really good muscle, and want to see it. I have several friends that compete and they (women) get to about 7-8% for shows (not healthy or maintainable). I would like to just see the muscle definition and see if I can maintain there. I am by no means skinny but I don't look like a steriod pumped body builder either- and I'm eating TONS of food, lots of protein and good carbs. If I can't get there or maintain at that level , so be it. Just want to try.

Deb- Hope your life gets a little less crazy soon. You are gonna run yourself ragged!

Monet- enjoy your new surfing freedom! When we finally got off modems I disappeared into cyberspace for a week. Loved the dogs!

gotta go to work,

mel
Old 09-13-2002, 09:55 AM   #125  

Default I'm new to the Group!

Hi SB Members,

I just joined this board and hope to get some really good information. I just started SB 11 days ago and am struggling. I've bought the SB book, so I'm pretty sure I'm following all the rules.

I've only lost 1.5 pounds. I've completely eliminated "illegal" foods (white bread, white pasta/rice) and replaced them with wheat products.

I've also been working out (which I didn't before) and am taking step classes 3 times per week.

I also had the bad habit of drinking a couple beers after work, which I now have eliminated and relaced with an occasional glass of red wine with dinner.

To top it off, I have replaced my usual 1 1/2 pots of coffee per day with 2 cups in the morning and no caffinated drinks the rest of the day.

Does it usually take this long to start dropping weight or am I just the most impatient person in the world?

Suggestions?

Denise Reier
Cincinnati, OH

P.S....what are the numbers below your names? e.g. 175/150/127??? Weight?
Old 09-13-2002, 10:03 AM   #126  

Good morning!

Looks like the suspected terrorists have been apprehended, thanks to an alert citizen that got their descriptions and license numbers at a Shoney's in Georgia, yesterday. Sounds like they possibly had plans in the Miami area for today. Thank goodness for our hardworking law enforcement officers that were on the look out for them.

gracious - you are so sweet to be concerned about us Florida girls! Wish I knew what to tell you about the condensation on your windows. Maybe you could call the place you bought them from and get some info??

Monet and Jack-K- there is a good search engine at www.lukol.com. You can put in a keyword for anything you might be interested in, and it will give you a list of many websites to check out, just in case you are interested.

I am off to visit relatives today that live about 1 1/2 hours away. DD is off from school for a planning day so will be going with me. My favorite Aunt just moved from Texas to Ocala area, so I'm sure looking forward to our visit. I will check back in later tonight when I get back.

Have a great day everyone!

Wendy
Old 09-13-2002, 10:12 AM   #127  

Default Friday Funnies

A man walks into a pharmacy and wanders up and down the aisles. The salesgirl notices him and asks him if she can help him. He answers that he's looking for a box of tampons for his wife. She directs him down the correct aisle. A few minutes later, he deposits a huge bag of cotton balls and a ball of string on the counter. She says, confused, "Sir, I thought you were looking for some tampons for your wife? He answers, "Yesterday I sent my wife to the store to get me a carton of cigarettes, and she came back with a tin of tobacco and some rolling papers, because it's sooooooooooo much cheaper ... so I figure if I have to roll my own, so does she!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two elderly women were eating breakfast in a restaurant one morning. Ethel noticed something funny about Mabel’s ear and she said, “Mabel, did you know you’ve got a suppository in your left ear? Mabel answered, “I have? A suppository?” She pulled it out and stared at it. Then she said, “Ethel, I’m glad you saw this thing. Now I think I know where my hearing aid is.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A young blonde lady had the windows in her house replaced with new double-insulated energy efficient windows. Twelve months later she got a call from the contractor, complaining that the work had been done for a year and she had yet to make the first payment. The blonde replied, “Now don’t go trying to pull a fast one on me. The salesman who sold me those told me that in one year they would pay for themselves”.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:15 AM   #128  

Good Morning All

I've just been watching CNN about the terror alert in Florida. Just wanted to let you know that my thoughts are with all you Florida girls and hope you all remain safe.

Gracious - The condensation on your windows is probably because the seal between the layers of glass is broken. This should not happen with new windows. I suggest you get on to the supplier right away.

I have to get ready to go out for badminton and then off to work this afternoon. No changes to report here - just maintaining as usual.

Bye for now.

Marie.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:44 AM   #129  

Dreier, Dreier, Welcome to our humble board. This is a great place for support and friendship. On how fast you lose depends on how much you have to lose. I started out with 110 and I lost 8 the first week. I strongly suggest you read the book and I think there are some newbie tips on the main page of the boards under info boards I think. Good luck. Looking forward to getting to know you. You are doing great with your exercise.

The numbers at the end of the posts are starting weight, current weight, goal weight.

Jackie
10-10-01
Old 09-13-2002, 12:44 PM   #130  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Good morning!

It has been two busy days yesterday and today. But good days. Yesterday Mom and I made 30 pounds of pinto beans for the softball fund raiser my neice is having. If that wasn't a sight I don't know what is. Mom has this giant crawfish pot and it was halfway full of beans. It took two of us to carry it but we could have used a third person if there had been another handle. The man helping me couldn't even pick it up by himself.

I figured out why my abs were so sore yesterday..it wasn't the exercise like I had hoped but the heavy furniture I rearranged in my son's room. I just finished making my husbands birthday cake...I'm so weak...a few taste made their way into my mouth. But I will be good the rest of the day...promise.

Might even get to ride Papa Sonny's bike again. We did that yesterday for exercise...it was all going along great and wack...wack...first a bug flew in the left eye..then one flew in the right eye...it would have been more funny if it had been someone else..LOL seriously..instantly I couldn't see. Mom was laughing as she helped me hobble inside and get the little buggers out. Two little hard shelled bugs had decided to embed themselves in my eyes. Soooo not only did we get exercise from riding we had a pretty good belly roll or two at the whole situation.

I'm using mom's computer so I guess I shouldn't be a hog and get off of here. I'll try to sneak on later and see how everyone is doing.

WELCOME Denise!!!! You will love this crowd..they are wonderfully supportive. And you will be amazed at how much help they can be.

Love and hugs,
Crystle

235/154/140
Old 09-13-2002, 01:59 PM   #131  

Sorry I did not get to post yesterday. Had to work, then had the boys last night for a while so DD could go to Open House at Middle School. She was not impressed. But we had a good time with the boys. Those 3 boys could eat us out of house & home, they have such an appetite. I made some cheese burritoes & I kept making them till they were full before I could make mine. That's ok. They enjoyed them & I enjoyed having them here. Have to pick them up at daycare this afternoon, so I will try to finish this post before then. Have alot to catch up in in 2 days.

Serene, Thanks for the sweet comments on my rememberance of dear late hubby, but as you also know, I have been blessed again with a wonderful man whom I also love dearly. He is a shining light in my life & all 4 of my GS now have a grandfather. Thurman never had kids of his own, so when we married almost 12 years ago, he became an instant father & grandfather. He just didn't have to go through all the hard years of raising teens LOl on the FF's You would make SEF proud! LOL loved em!

Jack-K Read note above to Serene. All ended very well. After 7 years of being a single parent, I remarried. But yes, that was my point about always parting on good terms with those we love. Where are you going on your cruise? Good luck with the new mini goal. I know you can do it! Oh, LOVED the poem os MYSELF. Sent it to my DD cause she was having a bad day.

Meliris LOl on the FF!!! Congrats on the 3 lb loss, but like you said, I sure hope it's not the muscle that you worked so hard to develope! Although my girls are grown with kids of their own, I can relate to the middle school age problem. My DD went to open house for her 6th grader last night & came home in dispair about several problems she & other mothers were discussing, like why are their kids up till 11 pm at night having to do homework, etc. One of the problems in math for instance was How much dirt in a 3x3x3 ft hole? The answer, none! There is NO dirt in the hole! Now I don't know about you, but I think this is no way to teach kids problem solving. That is playing guessing trick questions! Am I wrong? Where is the teaching in this?

Monet, Now that you have describe kibbe, I do remember eat them at a ME restraunt we went to a while back & you are absolutely correct...they ARE wonderful. We loved them. I think it's time to go back to that restraunt. I'm hungry for some ME food. IOn another note, we have cable connection & I would hate to think about going back to a dial up connection. I love my high speed cable internet. Loved your FF. Will have to show that one to my DH. He loves animals. Has lots of cats & a Sheltie (his 3rd one).

Gatorgal You sound so busy!! Are you having alot of opportunities to use your French? Did you go on your trip to Cuba yet? Maybe I just missed it.

LDBLOND, I sure hope that ice cream & cholate syrup was SF! Good to have you back on the board.

j red, Yes, the weight loss does seem to slow down to a crawl as we get closer to our goal. I noticed from my Weight Commander that I have only lost 10-12 lbs from last year at this time, but that's ok because I am keeping it off & it's down instead of up!

Gracious, I agree, sharing is one of the really great points about this board, that we can come to everyone here wheather it's with a heavy heart or one that is excited to the max! Sounds like the memorial services in Canada were just as special as those here. I was watching CNN earlier too & glad to hear that they have located those 3 men & getting it checked out.

Debbie, I sure hope things slow down for you soon so that you can catch your breathe! But it's easy enough to understand how it is when there's a lot going on in your life. I for one should understand since there are times I don't get to the board for a couple of weeks at a time

FILLISE, Lots to do before that election eh??

chrisb1022, It's just DH & I here at home, but he eats whatever I fix. He eats a little more at lunch time when he's at work, but likes this WOE. Even when I fix meals for company, I may add something extra, but mostly stick to the SB WOE then too & it's eaten, usually with lots of compliments. I do use recipes alot to try new things, so my family is use to my experimenting with them LOL

Beth2374, Sorry to hear that you are still having so much problems with your puter

CountryMom4Him, I'm so happy to hear that my story helped to confirm some things for you & yours. I just had the best chat with my DD who lives in Dayton, TX. We chat whenever we get online together. Sure saves on the phone bill. Anyway, we were talking about her dad & the memories she has of him. She was only 14 when he died, but it was one of the sweetest conversations we have had in a while. We're blessed to share good memories. My girls were 16, 14, & 8 at the time. OOPS!!! Watch those little licks of frosting. LOL Be strong, you can do it!

LKF, Your DH sounds a little like mind. Eats the SB WOE, but has extra on the side. That's ok. Sounds like you had a wonderful dinner at Landry's. I know how it is with church dinners, sometimes you don't have much choice.

dreier, WELCOME TO THE BOARD!! You've made a wonderful choice to do this WOE. It is one of the most effective & healthy WOE. The weight may not always come down in large numbers, but a slow steady pace is better than dropping it too fast. Stick to the book & you'll be fine. Lots of good info on our info boards too. Debbie is the best about good info. You'll get plenty of encouragement here too.

ROSALIE, Good to see you posting. Have funn at badminton! I have to work this week end. Glad to hear that you are maintaining. Better than gaining!

Hope I haven't missed anyone. If I did, it wasn't intentional. Will check in later!

174/133/130
Old 09-13-2002, 02:11 PM   #132  

Default Almost forgot

Red1, is due back home. How was the Gator Hunting???? Hope you & Ed had a great time. Sure did enjoy our lunch & visit with you both in New Orleans. Tried to upload the pictures to my Webshots album yesterday, but kept having problems. Will try again today so you can see them.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:17 PM   #133  

No puns intended towards blondes, just love blonde jokes & even considered by many to be a blonde myself even though my hair is red. LOL

The Phone Company Interview

A phone company put an ad in the paper in order to recruit
workers. The next day, two groups of workers show up - a crew of
five men and a crew of five blonde women.

The company can not decide who to give the job to, so they give
the two groups a test. The company boss says, "Each crew will
receive a telephone pole that must be installed into the ground.
Whoever is able to hammer it in first will get the job."

Both groups agree that this is a fair test, so off they go in the
Company trucks with the long telephone poles sticking out the
back. A few hours pass, and finally, at 5:00, the male crew
returns. "Yes!" they shout. "We came back first, so we get the
job!!"

"Good work, men," says the boss, "However, we must wait until the
other crew comes back to make sure that the reason they're
delayed is not because of traffic or the truck breaking down."

"Fine, no problem," say the men. An hour passes, two hours pass,
three hours. Finally, at 8:30, the Blonde crew arrives. All the
group is flushed and breathing hard, as if they had just gone
through harsh labor.

"What happened to you? What took so long?" asks the boss
incredulously.

"What do you mean, 'what took so long'?? Do we get the job?"

"YOU get the job? No way! The men were back here HOURS ago!"

"Well, of course they were," say the blondes. "They only put the
pole in halfway!!"
Old 09-13-2002, 04:31 PM   #134  

Just Checking in.

Getting ready to head home. Going out with some couples that we are going on the cruise with on a friends houseboat for the evening. Should be fun, probably a little cool later though. Taking some cheeses and sausage for snacks.

Going to get some firewood tomorrow. We go to a little town close by to one of my DH's clinets and they have some dynamite cases that are great for burning.

Other than that, think it will be a quiet weekend.

Mel, Loved your FF. Isn't that the truth!! Have a great day.

Serene, have a nice day with your relatives. Drive carefully. Thanks for the internet serach. I don't usually have much time to play around on it. Most of my time is spent right here on this board.

Rosalie, Have a nice time at badminton and a good day at work.

Country, That's a lot of beans. I don't want to be around when everyone eats those!.Whew! Got a good laugh about your bike ride. Maybe you should wear some sunglasses or goggles. Don't blame you on the bites of cake. I would rather eat the cake batter than the baked cake. Yum Guess you used some muscles that haven't been used before moving that furniture.

Melf, I am so glad that you have found love again. I don't think anyone should ever be alone (unless they want to ). Wishes for many, many years together for you and Thurman. We are going to the EAstern Carribean. St. Thomas, St. Maartin, San Juan and Bahamas. I can't wait. Cute. FF. (Amazing, when I see FF, I still think French Fries). Warped, I know.

Have a great weekend everyone. Hope to check in over the weekend.

Jackie
257/172/145
10-10-01
Old 09-13-2002, 06:06 PM   #135  

Default Friday Afternoon

Hello Everybody! Well the work week is over. Yippee. Let the good times roll!!!

I managed to make it from Sunday til now without any starchy carbs. I'm just as shocked as you that I actually made it through the entire work week. Feels great. Now I'm going to easy into two (maybe three) this weekend. And that will be a nice introduction to one serving a day next week. Thanks for all your ideas and advice and encouragement. You know what???? We are one smart group! Seriously, we truly do know a lot about eating right and how to do it. I sure am glad I know you all.

I just have time for one personal greeting. And it has to be to our new member DREIER. Hey, girl, welcome to the board! It's great to meet you. Just in case you didn't notice on my signature, I'm from Cincinnati too. There is actually another member from here too, but she's MIA for the past month. I need to get on her and get her back on here on a regular basis. But anyway, I just wanted to say WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME. Hope you find a lot of support here. Just know that the weight will come off. Eliminating the illegal foods is a GREAT start. Be sure that you are not overdoing it on calories for each day. If you don't know how many calories you should be eating, our fearless leader DEB can help you with that. Just hang in there and give your body a chance to adjust to this wonderful new way of eating. I think it's fantastic that you've lost 1.5 pounds already. Just look at it this way. At least you are going in the right direction. Good luck!!! BTW, I'm on the west side. Where are you?

To everybody else, have a fabulous weekend!!! Don't cheat! Make good choices! Do an extra lap!!! LOL

Kim
Closed Thread