Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: Have you had the good fortune to (you can choose more than 1 answer, if it applies)
Met at least one person from this board (past or present members) 5 14.71%
Met more than one person but less than 5 people (past or present) 4 11.76%
Met more than 5 people but less than 10 people (past or present) 4 11.76%
Met more than 10 people (past or present) 2 5.88%
Talk to at least one or more people on the phone somewhat regularly (past or present) 6 17.65%
E-mail at least one or more people on a regular one-to-one basis (past or present) 8 23.53%
Haven't met anyone yet, but I hope to one day soon 10 29.41%
Haven't spoken on the phone to anyone yet, but hope to one day soon! 5 14.71%
Haven't e-mailed anyone regularly yet, but hope to done day soon! 2 5.88%
Just joining the board, so give me time!!! 5 14.71%
Have no interest in meeting, talking or e-mailing, just being on the board is enough for me. 3 8.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 07:19 PM   #31  

Default Monday Night!

Hello Everybody! I am feeling pretty ashamed of myself for not posting at all last week. Gosh, what a lousy thing to do to all my friends. You all were in my thoughts, but just had no time to post or catch up with all your wonderful posts.

Hello to all the newbies! Wow, it’s great to have so many new people gathering into our group. Keep working at this and keep posting. That’s the key.

I’ve been eating legal. That’s not the problem, but have seriously been thinking about the amount of starchy carbs I eat. So SERENE and I came up with a plan that she already told you about. We are cutting WAYYYYY back on the starchy carbs. Actually we are eliminating them all together for a few days. (Exactly how many did we say, S?) Iknow I’ve heard many of you speak of this tactic to get the scale moving in the right direction. I’m still sitting at five pounds lost and getting pretty frustrated that it’s not more. Yes, I’m the person who keeps saying just hang in there, be patient, and all that. But last week, I was really getting low about it. At this rate I’ll be collecting social security before I get to my goal weight. LOL

Here’s what I’ve eaten today:
breakfast: 4 oz cheese and one apple
lunch: apple, chicken drumstick and thigh (no skin), baggie filled with celery sticks
snack: peach
supper: big salad with lots of greens and sauteed mushrooms and cooked chicken on top.
Okay, I did drink a beer for supper, but I don’t call that a starchy carb!
If I get hungry after while, I’ll probably cut up another apple or possiblly have some cottage cheese.
A day without one single piece of bread. Eureka!!! It can be done!!!
How does that list of food sound?

SERENE: Thanks for getting after me on the board. You made me sit down and start typing. Let’s hear it for Tough Love. LOL. Hope your day is going well. Sounds like you are getting through without the starch. Way to go.

MELF: Okay, I missed last week, so please tell me who was in the pics with you. I swear, woman, you have met more people on this board than DEB. You sure do get around! That’s good though. We all need to regularly see somebody who’s met their goal and is staying t here. Thanks for all your great support.

JACK-K: Girl, it was a hot mama out there today here too. I am so sick of it. But here’s the really pitty thing. We have leaves already down in our front yard and need to rake already!!!! Somebody please tell me what that’s all about!!! Isn’t it a rule that when you rake leaves you need to be wearing sweatshirts and jeans???? Not shorts and a tank top for goodness sake. Do you make your ww pizzas on pita breads or do you have a recipe for ww pizza dough? Sounds yummy.

JRED: You probably won’t be reading this because you will be out celebrating your big day. But HAVE A HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY DAY. I hope you blow out all the candles and that your wishes come true!!! I know some of your wishes have already come true, because you are so much smaller now than you were when you started. That’s got to feel better than any birthday cake would taste.

TONI: Oh my gosh, girl. I couldn’t believe when I read your post and you said that you were going to stay off the starchy carbs. Wow, we are really in sync with each other. Sounds like you, me and SERENE came to this same idea about the same time. Good luck. I’ll be thinking of you every time I pass on a piece of bread.

DEB: Sorry to hear that you aren’t feeling well again. You got some bug and it doesn’t want to let you go. Hope you are back to 100% soon. How’s ELI? Hey, does Eli count on the people I’ve met on the board? If he does, then that puts me to FIVE (you, Narda, Kimmy and Chris, plus the E-man, but I don’t know if he counts). That sure is a good buy on magazines. We have let all our subscriptions end, except Paul still gets Modern Drummer because it’s so hard to find in the stores. I usually just go to the library and leaf through them there. Plus a girl I work with gives me her old Oprah mags. I love those. Years ago I got so many magazines I wouldn’t even get then all read.

Hey, I have a funny to tell you. Last night I was finishing up a book called Clay’s Quilt. It’s an excellent novel set in the mountains of Kentucky. But the last chapter started out with this sentence. “The quilter died on a cold spring day.” Yikes!!!! I about fell off the couch. That was VERY unsettling to me! I had to go get a glass of water and calm down.

One more thing I have to say about this no starchy carbs thing: I was NOT hungry today. That feeling of always wanting to stuff something in my mouth has disappeared. It may be all in my head because I’m not sure if one day can really show those kinds of results. But it sure has been nice today. I’m hoping I don’t cave tonight while I’m sitting watching tv. But I just wanted to share how different I feel today in comparison to the other days when I have way too many starchy carbs.

Take care, friends
Kim
Old 09-09-2002, 07:22 PM   #32  

BOB: We bought some of those seedless peaches last year. I guess they tasted okay, but I was having a hard time getting past how weird they looked. I think 79 cents is pretty high for a single peach. Our regulars were 88cents a pound at your favorite store. They had those deflated looking kind, but I just don't like them. I feel like they are unnatural and the product of some weird hormonal treatments.

Sorry the football season isn't going your way.
Kim
Old 09-09-2002, 07:43 PM   #33  

Default An Inspiring True Story

I received this in email today and thought it was worth sharing.

A true story. May it inspire you.

My son, Gilbert, was eight years old and had been in Cub Scouts only a short time. During one of his meetings he was handed a sheet of paper, a block of wood and four tires and told to return home and give all to "dad".

That was not an easy task for Gilbert to do. Dad was not receptive to doing things with his son. But Gilbert tried. Dad read the paper and scoffed at the idea of making a Pinewood Derby car with his young, eager son. The block of wood remained untouched as the weeks passed.

Finally, "Mom" stepped in to see if I could figure this all out. The project began. Having no carpentry skills, I decided it would be best if I simply read the directions and let Gilbert do the work. And he did. I read aloud the measurements, the rules of what we could do and what we couldn't do.

Within days, his block of wood was turning into a Pinewood Derby car. A little lopsided, but looking great (at least through the eyes of Mom).

Gilbert had not seen any of the other kids cars and was feeling pretty proud of his "Blue Lightning," the pride that comes with knowing you did something on your own.

Then the big night came. With his blue pinewood Derby car in his hand and pride in his heart we headed to the big race. Once there my little one's pride turned to humiliation. Gilbert's car was obviously the only car made entirely on his own. All the other cars were a father-son partnership, with cool paint jobs and sleek body styles made for speed.

A few of the boys giggled as they looked at Gilbert's lopsided, wobbly, unattractive vehicle. To add to the humiliation, Gilbert was the only boy without a man at his side. A couple of the boys who were from single parent homes at least had an uncle or grandfather by their side. Gilbert had "Mom".

As the race began, it was done in elimination fashion. You kept racing as long as you were the winner. One by one the cars raced down the finely sanded ramp. Finally it was between Gilbert and the sleekest, fastest looking car there. As the last race was about to begin, my wide eyed, shy eight year old asked if they could stop the race for a minute, because he wanted to pray. The race stopped.

Gilbert hit his knees, clutching his funny looking block of wood between his hands. With a wrinkled brow he set to converse with his Father. He prayed in earnest for a very long minute and a half. Then he stood, smile on his face and announced, "Okay, I am ready."

As the crowd cheered, a boy named Tommy stood with his father as their cars sped down the ramp. Gilbert stood with his Father within his heart and watched his block of wood wobble down the ramp with surprisingly great speed and rushed over the finish line a fraction of a second before Tommy's car.

Gilbert leaped into the air with a loud "Thank You!" as the crowd roared in approval. The Scout Master came up to Gilbert with microphone in hand and asked the obvious question, "So, you prayed to win, huh Gilbert?"

To which my young son answered, "Oh, no sir. That wouldn't be fair to ask God to help you beat someone else. I just asked Him to make it so I don't cry when I lose."

Children seem to have a wisdom far beyond us. Gilbert didn't ask God to win the race, he didn't ask God to fix the outcome, Gilbert asked God to give him strength in the outcome. When Gilbert first saw the other cars he didn't cry out to God, "No fair, they had a father's help!"

No, he went to his Father for strength. Perhaps we spend too much of our time asking God to rig the race, to make us number one, or too much time asking God to remove us from the struggles of life, when we should be seeking God's strength to get through the struggles.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:13 PM   #34  

Default Howdy All

Well I have a bit of a headache, getting ready to call it a day and hit the sack. But, I had to post because I miss you all - I feel like I miss out on so much if I don't read or post! I am still a bit puffy, but I know I am being good and that it will go away - sorry Deb for spreading the puffiness.....Toni - I like ww pita, but there are crackers at the hfs you can get to use that are made with rye or something legal....yummy...

Did not make the hummus or tabouli, instead I made the cheesecake - yummy - and a chicken recipe I found on this sight that has cream cheese, onion garlic, baked in a tinfoil pocket - it was good - I will have to leave Serene to tell you as she is the guinea pig right now.... I crushed blueberries for my cheesecake and I do have to say I loved it!!!!

Tonight was open house at school - so I had to go with exH and we kept changing classes just like we were students - it was fun - he and I had a really good time - those are the times you think back and remember why you married each other in the olden days....meanwhile, DS is doing well - needs a little improvement here and there - but they said that he is quiet, well mannered and they seemed to really like him! Meanwhile in his Soc Studies and Science - out 25 kids in the class - DS and another boy are the ONLY boys in class!!!!

Better go now straying from reality I am getting so sleepy.

Sabrina
Old 09-10-2002, 12:14 AM   #35  
Goddess

Thumbs down Mon night

Tingly nose--allergy season is approaching!

Thought I'd say hey before I go to bed. I'm printing some walking lists for one of my candidates--they take forever to print out.

BOB--I didn't take Deb's threat to root for Bama seriously. Like she would even know what to do! Long season my arse. At least you aren't sitting at 1-1 like a lot of teams (mine, gator's, and missy's for example). Perhaps if y'all played serious opponents early in the season. . .

Gator--Hmmm, it seems to me that the SEC is off to a slow start this season. I want to say that the SEC is 1-2 with ACC teams. Your remember the ACC? The one that was only good for roundball?????

OK because I feel like I should talk about something that is remotley connected to our WOE in this post---I eat the Blue Bunny SF NF yogurt from Super Walmart. It is yummy--has all the calcium and NONE of the bad stuff! It is sweetened with Splenda--which is better than Aspartame as far as I'm concerned.

Jenn--are you getting excited with the wedding so close? Or do you feel like you have a million things to do before you get excited?

Kim--sure we miss you when you don't post, but you should't feel shame. We all get busy and a girl has to do what a girl has to do! I'm probably going to disappear myself for a lot of October when the campaigns really heat up--so it happens!

I'm sleepy now so I'm going to bed. Nity nite everyone!

Susan
Old 09-10-2002, 08:35 AM   #36  

Default Good Tuesday Morning!

I took a good nap yesterday morning...and will probably take one today too. I don't think I sleep very well at night.

Made tabouli and hummus and some Greek style beef for dinner last night. Yum! I could eat that kind of stuff every night.

My hubby is really sticking to the SB guidelines now. His cholesterol was very high as were his triglycerides. It is a mystery as to why...this man is Mr. Healthy. He runs three or four times a week, lifts weights three times a week, is careful about what he eats, drinks all his water and looks fabulous. (poor man has ME for wife! Why he loves me so much is a mystery too, but one I am thankful for...) The doctor put him on time release niacinamide. Anyone got any advice for getting triglycerides down?

SERENE: I very much enjoyed your 'true story' about the little boy and his race car.
I like the message it conveys...doesn't matter if we are lopsided, or crude looking..
we can be winners. The idea of asking God to help him not to cry when he lost was
precious...I think I will keep that in mind for my trials! The name on my signature was from the Captain Underwear post someone did about 3 or 4 months ago. Perhaps they will repost it, and you can figure out your cool new name!

TRANQUIL: What time is dinner? If Serene wants to give up the position of guinea pig,
I am applying for the job! Hope you are feeling better.

MELF: Thanks for the pictures! It was fun to put faces with names!

LDBLOND: I homeschooled my children for eight years. It sure was an adventure. Why are
you trying to homeschool a 3 1/2 year old? I got started with homeschooling through Raymond
and Dorothy Moore's books. They were of the philosophy 'better late than early'. It sure
is easy if you just wait until the child is dragging the school books to you and begging
you to teach them! Thankfully, there were a lot of homeschoolers in our church, and we
had plenty of support and fellowship.

JENN: I hope you are doing fine with the wedding plans! My daughter got married in June
so I am very aware of what you are going through! Hope it all works out perfectly, and if
it doesn't, you can laugh at it!

TONI: Did my treadmill yesterday. It was not easy as I felt pretty lousy. It felt good
to get it done though! I find reading while I walk on it helps me to get on. Any excuse
to read!

DEBYJ: Good for you in tossing out the brownies! Were those cookies made with whole
grains? Even if they are sugarfree, if they are made with white flour, you ought to avoid
them. I find if I eat those 'goodies' it creates cravings for more. If I concentrate on
fruits and veggies, the cravings go away.

QUILT: How is the no carbs going for you? Since I used to do low carb, I know it can be
hard to get started, but once you get past the first few days, the cravings for bread go
away. Hope this helps you. I am a turtle slow loser, and sometimes eating very low carbs
helps. Of course, the boatload of medicine helps too, but not as much as I would like...

FILLISE: Hope your allergies don't bother you. Especially with how busy you are! How is the
sweet little Belle kitty?

BOB: I hope your football season improves. Except of course, when your team plays UGA...

DEB: Hope you are doing great! Went to Harry's yesterday, and thought of you. They have changed it all around! I was totally lost! I looked for agave, but I am not one of the lucky ones who finds it on a shelf somewhere. Whine.

Today I start classes with my private art student. Better go and get prepared! Have a great day all!

Last edited by Ellen; 09-10-2002 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:55 AM   #37  

HAPPY TUESDAY! YEAH! the scale is moving down already!

Good motivation to help me stick with not eating starchy carbs today.

Have to get to a another Doctors appointment - will check in later today.

Take Care,
Wendy
Old 09-10-2002, 09:27 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Happy Tuesday Gang!

Nothing going on with me. Didn't sleep to well last nite. I was so tired. I think when I'm that tired, I can't sleep. Turned over when the alarm went off so I didn't get my walk or workout in. Will have to do it tonite. It would have been a lot cooler this morning. Oh well

Mel,You may think you are losing your mind about paying your bill twice, but at least it was a good surprise. You should treat yuorself sometimes.

Debyj, Good for you tossing those brownies. Those cookies are probably made with white or enriched flour. Not legal. Check them out. I love my SF ice cream, but I have a hard time controling it. Who ever heard of eating 1/2 cup???

Bob, We didn't run up the score, we were using all the "walk-ons". We would have had to quit to keep the score down. Tim didn't play due to scar tissue in his elbow. His replacement did a heck of a job. Tim could be out of work??

Quilter, I was just thinking about you. You had better get back on here. Give yourself some credit. You have done great so far. We all get in the same boat, wanting to lose quicker, frustrated with stalls. But don't you feel better? Clothes fit better? I though so. Good idea on the carbs. Just don't do it too long. You meals look good, except for the BEER. Don't think that is legal. I used pitas for my pizza, cut mine in have and topped both halves. I do make the ww crust but my kinds like the pitas better. What's up the the leaves. I hate to rake leaves at all, much less in the heat. Yuk! Hang in here. Keep posting, we miss you when your gone.

Serene, Sweet little story. Makes you think. Good luck at the Drs. WTG on the scale.

Tranquil, Share oiur chicken recipe please. It sounds yummy. I used to love "mock" schedule night. I miss that now that my girls have graduated. Glad DS is doing well and I bet he is loving the fact he is 1 of the only 2 boys in the class.

Fillise, Just to stick in my 2 cents, my team is 2-0. I'm gonna have to lkook for BLue Bunny yogurt. I miss yogurt. Didn't know what kind to buy. My Wal-mart probably doesn't carry that brand. Hope things don't get too crazy for you at work.

Monet, I think that cholestrol stuff is hereditary. We ate every fried thing in the world growing up and mine is very low. Go figure. I don't sleep well at night either. But I don't think my boss would like it very much if I took a nap. LOL. We all know why your DH loves. You are such a sweet and caring and loving person.

Have a great day everyone. Will check in later.

Jackie
257/173/145
10-10-01
Old 09-10-2002, 09:40 AM   #39  

I can't believe I made it to the end of the page and I am still here! Perhaps the computer is having pity on me. I am attempting a small post...let's see what happens...

QUILTER-I was missing you! Glad you are back. I am doing my own personal exercise challenge this week. The past 2 weeks, when I lost those 6 lbs, I had cut out all starchy carbs, fruit and anything overly carb'd. Yesterday, I added back in a WW pita toasted for breakfast, but kept that as my only starch. I did the same for today. Since last WIW, I haven't lost anything and I know that is a sign for me to up my carb intake a bit, hence the pita. Let us know how it works for you!

SERENE-Amen to your post. I loved it.

I dare not scroll up to see the posts. Just to say I am off to do my 2 mile WATP tape and then will go into Fredericton for an errand and walk across the St John River walking bridge with the kids after school to add to my exercise. It is probably over a mile there and back.

LDBLOND-Oh yes, today was Number 2 and the Letter Uu! He is loving it and was so excited to start this morning.

ciao
Old 09-10-2002, 09:46 AM   #40  

Can you cope? It didn't freeze!

BOB- I loved the pic of the donkey in the fridge!

FRUIT-How is Cozmo doing at home, I haven't seen you mention him...mind you, you haven't been posting much either!

DEBYJ- I agree with JACK-K, those Sorbee cookies might be sugarfree but I know they are made with illegal flour. I have checked them out before. You might be missing the sugar in them, but the white/enriched flour is illegal and is high on the glycemic index.

JACK-K-Tell me about it! 1/2 cup ice cream is a joke. I used to use a soup bowl in my fatter days! Now I use a small dessert dish or ramekin...but fill those too. Just last night I had a bowl of it..very yummy!

MONET-You teach art class on top of everything else that you do? Yikes...you do it all!

Okay...I am outta here before it crashes again. I can't believe I got this far!
Old 09-10-2002, 09:49 AM   #41  

Dare I? Someone asked about our crazy names...here is the post to figure out your new name!

The following is an excerpt from a children's book, "Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants", by Dave Pilkey:

The evil Professor forces everyone to assume new names...Use the third letter of your first name to determine your New first name:

a=poopsie
b=lumpy
c=buttercup
d=gidget
e=crusty
f=greasy
g=fluffy
h=cheeseball
i=chim-chim
j=stinky
k=flunky
l=booger
m=pinky
n=zippy
o=goober
p=doofus
q=slimy
r=loopy
s=snotty
t=tulefel
u=dorkey
v=squeezit
w=oprah
x=skipper
y=dinky
z=zsa-zsa.

Use the second letter of your last name to determine the first half of your new last name:

a = diaper
b = toilet
c = giggle
d = burger
e = girdle
f = barf
g = lizard
h = waffle
i = cootie
j = monkey
k = potty
l = liver
m = banana
n = rhino
o = bubble
p = hamster
q = toad
r = gizzard
s = pizza
t = gerbil
u = chicken
v = pickle
w = chuckle
x = tofu
z = stinker

Use the fourth letter of your last name to determine the second half of your new last name:

a = head
b = mouth
c = face
d = nose
e = tush
f = breath
g = pants
h = shorts
i = lips
j = honker
k = butt
l = brain
m = tushie
n = chunks
o = hiney
p = biscuits
q = toes
r = buns
s = fanny
t = sniffer
u = sprinkles
v = kisser
w = squirt
x = humperdinck
y = brains
z = juice

Thus, for example, George W. Bush's new name is Goober Chickenshorts.

Bill Clinton's name is Booger Liverchunks.

And remember that children laugh an average of 146 times a day, adults laugh an average of 4 times a day.
Put more laughter in your life!!!
Old 09-10-2002, 09:58 AM   #42  
Goddess

A quick hello this morning!

Jack-K--look for th Blue Bunny--it is really good! I know your team is 2-0, but for some reason folks in this state like to pretend that UK isn't a real team. What's up with that?

Serene--Glad the scale is moving down. After my initial fascination with the new digital scale, I'm trying to go back to weighing once a week!

Monet--actually my allergies have bothered me less since I've been on SB! I've also had fewer colds--but I think the campaign stress might weaken the ole immune system a tad this year. So far just an itchy nose and some sneezes, if it doesn't get worse than this I'll be OK! I'm comming through Atlanta next week--if I get to come by myself I'd love to see you--I may, however, have a carload of folks with me who won't want to stop and play.

Time to get to work--Have a good day everyone!

Susan
Old 09-10-2002, 10:00 AM   #43  
Goddess

That would be Snotty Cootiebrain to you!
Old 09-10-2002, 10:15 AM   #44  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

QUICKIE...

Sorry, I don't have time to get in a post this morning. I am chairing a fund raiser for Michael's academy at school this evening and have lots to do to get ready for it. Just finished making some signs.

Did get in my 4.5 miles this morning. Seemed a little easier and was a little better time 50:24. Even did some weeding afterwards.

Please remember, TONIGHT IS CHAT AT 9:15PM EST I don't know if I will be home from the meeting tonight in time or not, but if I am I will try to join in. Hate missing out on the chats lately, but haven't had much choice in the matter. I don't foresee any reason I can't next week though!

Will try my darndest to post something this afternoon if I find myself with any time, though it doesn't look hopeful.

Have a wonderful day today, oh yes, and remember, TOMORROW IS WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY!!!! I wish you all luck on the scale!

Toodles

Debbie
194/1?? (no idea)/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 09-10-2002, 10:35 AM   #45  

Hi all!!!

Just a quick post to say hello!!! Boy am I bloated today TOM arrived with full force. My sister swears everything falls apart when you hit your 40's I sure hope not.

I made Deb's cheesecake last night for guest we had over. Everyone loved it and especially my boys. We had baked fish, brown rice, and roasted veggies.

Well I will miss chat tonight I have one of my DS Open house at school we get to follow his schedule and go to all his classes for 2 hours.

Hope everyone has a great evening.!!!
Closed Thread