Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: Have you had the good fortune to (you can choose more than 1 answer, if it applies)
Met at least one person from this board (past or present members) 5 14.71%
Met more than one person but less than 5 people (past or present) 4 11.76%
Met more than 5 people but less than 10 people (past or present) 4 11.76%
Met more than 10 people (past or present) 2 5.88%
Talk to at least one or more people on the phone somewhat regularly (past or present) 6 17.65%
E-mail at least one or more people on a regular one-to-one basis (past or present) 8 23.53%
Haven't met anyone yet, but I hope to one day soon 10 29.41%
Haven't spoken on the phone to anyone yet, but hope to one day soon! 5 14.71%
Haven't e-mailed anyone regularly yet, but hope to done day soon! 2 5.88%
Just joining the board, so give me time!!! 5 14.71%
Have no interest in meeting, talking or e-mailing, just being on the board is enough for me. 3 8.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 08:28 PM   #61  

Default Tuesday Evening!

Hey! Hope your day went well. I must say that I felt really lousy this morning, tired, aching, illing belly. The usual thing. I wasn’t hungry for breakfast and decided to make a shake with blueberries and strawberries. I had been putting soy in it, but since MONET shared about soy and thyroid problems not being a good combination, I didn’t know what to do. So instead of the soy I put a container of yogurt and a cup of milk. Yummy. And boy did it hit the spot. I didn’t eat lunch until after 1:30. So that one shake held me all morning. Good stuff.

Tonight I came home and took the leftover chicken and made some yummy chicken/vegetable soup. I’m not a big fan of the flavor of chicken broth so I added a dollap of sour cream and that really made it good. I’ve done okay with the no starchy carbs again today. I already told you what the breakfast was. Lunch was a serving of chicken, some cottage cheese and some celery sticks and a sliced up peach. Snack was a sliced up apple. The the soup for supper. I think that’s a good amount to eat. I feel really full. We’ll see what happens at 10 p.m. Ha!

TRANQ---Sorry to hear that you have a case of the puffs. Not fun. I’m fts (fixin’ to start) this week, so I’ll be right there with you in a day or two. Hopefully, you’ll be done by then. I heard from SERENE that the cheesecake was wonderful. Good job! Did you eat it all right away. I wanted to put some in the freezer the last time I made it, but neer got any into that safe place. Now I’m wishing I had frozen some. Rats!

FILLISE---Thanks for missing me when I’m not around. You are so sweet. And I appreciate how understanding you are. Some times are just better and more cooperative to post. Hey, did that new couch come yet???? Fill me in on it. I never did hear, did you order the chair too?

MONET---Glad to hear that dh is on the band wagon now too. I sure do hope this woe helps with his cholesterol. Doesn’t make sense that somebody that fit and healthy could have anything out of balance. Hey, you just keep telling yourself that he’s lucky to have a wonderful wife like you. Sounds like you both are blessed! I have to admit that I’d like to have a triscuit right about now, but I promised SERENE that I’d try this for a few days and I’ve got to keep that promise. And the desire for the triscuits is not really that bad. I can see a difference in my feelings about food just after being off the starchy carbs for two days. Actually, Sunday I only had a ww pita for breakfast and that was it. So it’s almost three full days so far. I wonder what would happen if we did no starchy carbs during the weekdays and then allowed ourself a few starchy carbs on Saturday and Sunday. Would I have to detox all over again from them on Monday? Any thoughts???

JACK-K---Thanks for giving me a tender kick in the pants. LOL. You are right. We all have gone through these plateaus and they are no fun. I wish I was wearing a different size, but can’t see that a smaller size is necessary yet. I’ll tell you one thing . . . I feel so much better when I don’t gorge myself with food (legal or otherwise). It’s nice not to have that feeling of a belly that feels like it’s going to pop, because I just couldnt’ say no to that second helping of something or that next snack. Just so you know, I did NOT have a beer tonight. Seemed pretty stupid to do that again when I’m trying to see a loss on the scales. Hey, what did you mean, by not staying on the no starchy carbs for too long? Is that harmful?

GRACIOUS---Hey, it’s great to be missed! Thanks so much for the kind words. That’s interesting about needing to up your carbs. I haven’t stopped eating fruit or milk or other high carb things, just the bread, rice, pasta. All that good stuff. I love fruit and can’t imagine kicking it out of my diet. Besides it keeps me feeling much better in the digestive systems if you catch my drift.

DEB---Sounds like you got down and dirty with those coffee beans. Man, if I splurged on something like that I’d have been sick as a dog afterwards. I hope that didn’t happen to you. Hey, Michael’s party looked like so much fun. How cool for him. There were a ton of people there. Was that at your house? Who were the people singing and playing? Besides Michael. Hey, can you explain to me why one ww tortilla will count as two carbs? Does it have something to do with calculating something on the label? I can’t believe how subsided my appetite is right now. And this is PMS time too. Could it be a real live miracle.

SERENE---I am doing the same as you with eliminating just the starchy carbs like the breads. That’s a big sacrifice for me, because that’s my favorite food and that’s what I always get hungry for. When I was on weight watchers many, many years ago, my one girlfriend and I would borrow breads from the next day. Well, sooner than later we were eating breads for three months down the road!!! Can you tell why I failed at that eating program??? I’ve not heard about a low carb beer. Sounds interesting. I usually drink red wine when I want some alcohol, but DH put an entire 12-pack of beer in the fridge and I thought I’m help to make some room for real food. Ha! Well, it sounded like a good excuse at the time.

MELF---Thanks for setting me straight on the pics you posted. That’s so great that the two of you got to meet. I’ll have to go back to last week and read about your visit. Looks like you had fun.

Okay, that’s it for me! Hope to get on the chat later. I’ve got a ton of pans to wash in the kitchen. Yuck. I hate that job. I may comandeer dh to assist. That would be really sweet.

Catch ya later!
Kim
Old 09-10-2002, 10:49 PM   #62  

Okay--- the sorbee cookies have wheat flour and splenda in them---which if i want a beer and have a cookie instead.......

How is everyone?? I'm at work so i can't really post too much. I'm down another 2 pounds and am still exercising and the cold from **** is gone. I'm watching everything with sugar in it and watching the glycemic indexes also---hope all is well---

Going to bama this weekend to watch bama vs n.texas---bama is only favored by 2 points which has gotten everyone in an uproar!!

May have to give the diet on saturday---Going to dreamland's for some ribs!! mmm, smacking!!!!

later-debyj
Old 09-10-2002, 11:16 PM   #63  

Hi! I actually have been eating great! I just want to go from 168 to 138 so bad that I get anxious!! Lordy, Lordy!!! I will stick with this though, knowing that so many of you are out there doing the same thing, worrying about the same stuff etc....... that keeps me going!! Please stick with this WOE . ( not a diet) and we will win this war!!! Everyone take care and please let me know if you have any difficulties that you can not handle by yourself!! I will help because you will help me!!
Rosemary ........fortytude
Old 09-11-2002, 06:59 AM   #64  
Goddess

Unhappy Wednesday morning

It's a sad day. I can't believe it has been a year. In other respects it seems like it has been a very long year. I hope everyone will pause for a moment today and remember . . .

I had planned to officially ignore all today's memorials--but you just can't. I have all my candidates off the campaign trail today since this is a day for us all to be united as Americans. I was going to hole up and catch up on some work, but you just can't. Life goes on. More importantley life has to go on--or the terrorists win and victory far more complete and far more devistating than that of 9/11.

Susan
300/247/150
Old 09-11-2002, 07:22 AM   #65  

God Bless Everyone-----love-debyj
Old 09-11-2002, 07:33 AM   #66  

Default Wednesday Morning

Hello Everyone! Well, today I got up and turned on the tv and was immediately brought to the harsh reality that today will be very hard for many, many people. My thoughts and prayers go out to all who have lost loved ones and to all of us whose lives will never be the same. May we never forget those victims and those heros! Let's hug those we love just a whole lot harder this morning and say a prayer of thanks that we are still together.

I will report that my WIW showed me down three pounds. I guess the no starchy carbs thing is working. Do you all think I should add like one carb in for the rest of the week. This will be my third day with no starchy carbs. How long is too long to go like this?

SERENE----Thanks for trying to help me get to the chat last night. Sorry I couldn't get there. But it was nice (as always) talking to you a bit. Also another request. Please tell me about your digital scale. I would really like to get one,but don't know what kind is a good kind.

I'd better go. We are running late this morning. Yikes!

Hugs to you all,
Kim
Old 09-11-2002, 08:06 AM   #67  

WIW....9/11

A day to be grateful for our family, friends and the gracious care of God. A day to remember those lost on that fateful day and for those who risked their own lives to save others.

I am down only 1 lb this week, but I will take it. I knew I wouldn't be losing like the previous 2 weeks when I was back on the wagon, losing some water weight and doing little or no carbs.

A word to those who are cutting starchy carbs...I think it certainly works, but QUILTER, 3 days without starchy carbs is definitely not too long when you are still eating the other good carbs like fruit and veggies. It has obviously given you a boost with that 3 lb loss so why not keep it up another week? I find that when I am cutting way back on carbs that if I eat more protein and a bit more good fat, then it keeps me from craving the starchy carbs. I also think your idea of keeping the starchy carbs out until the weekend is a good way to deal with your *need* to have some, just keep them to the 2-3 servings of legal carbs and you should be fine! You will still be cutting back on them overall.

FORTYTUDE-Good to see you so excited about this WOE!

DEBYJ-Congrats on the 2 lb loss!

BOB- That was a hilarious picture! Sometimes I feel like that...yesterday I drank 5 litres of water! (20 cups)

JRED- I agree. I do keep it simple, the homeschooling that is. We use colouring, blocks, songs and a lot of fun to learn. Kids just seem to want to soak it up. My kids don't watch any TV at all so they don't get things like Sesame Street, etc. Instead, they get their Mom showing an interest in them with books and things, which is why they enjoy it so much I think.

I am going to post this now before it crashes then I will look back!
Old 09-11-2002, 08:12 AM   #68  

This is an excerpt from a healthy weight loss newsletter that I get in email from Greg Landry, M.S.

"Healthy Weight Loss Newsletter"

Fitness Greetings!

Today, as we remember the events of last September 11, and our hearts go out to those most effected, I'd like to share with you a letter I received from a lady last September 12:

"Greg, yesterday has made me take a hard look at my life and my priorities. I've decided that two things I'm going to put on the top of my list are spending more time with family and friends, and getting healthier so that I can enjoy time with family and friends to the fullest."

"Today I'm going to get serious about losing the weight that has dragged me down and affected my health, vitality, and relationships for the last 24 years. Thanks for your program and your persistence."

Becky
Atlanta, GA

I will check in later for WIW!

Take Care,
Wendy

When the heart grieves over what it has lost, the spirit rejoices over what it has left. - Sufi epigram
Old 09-11-2002, 08:14 AM   #69  

ATLANTA MOM-Welcome to the board! Love your new name!!

JACK-K- The walk was very nice. It was 1 mile long and is a beautiful setting for a good walk. So I can count my exercise as 3 miles yesterday!

SERENE-I don't know much about the Captain Underpants book because FRUIT was the one that originally posted that. However, I have seen his books advertised in those Scholastic catalogues that the kids bring home from school, so they must be recent.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:49 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good morning everyone.

I'm sure all of us share a heavy heart this day. My heart goes out to all those you lost loved ones that horrible day and my deepest gratitude to those you died and all those who tried to save them. I just pray that everyone is safe today. This is a very somber day and I will be glad when it is over and America is safe.

Other depressing news, I stayed the same today. Didn't help my mood any. Think I need to evaluate some things.

Hope the scale is good to the rest of you.

Melf, Sorry you did not make it to chat. There were only a few of us and we didn't last long. I think we all want a little cushion with our goal wt. You have to go with what you want and how you feel. Start slow with exercising and build it up. It's not too hard. I actually enjoy it.

Bob, Hey my wildcats have a chance to go 4-0! Heck yes we have a football team!I would like to make your donkey my screensaver! Hope that was a diet 7-UP!!Is that a pic of YOU???

Toni, Hope you are feeling better today. I think I will try to no-carb next week too.

Tranquil, thanks for posting the recipe. It reminds me of those Enchillads that were posted long ago. Very rich. Nice going getting a treadmill. I'll use it until your foot is better ha ha

JRed, Glad you finally got your computer fixed. Man,you waited so long and then it was the powerpack. What a bummer. Congrats on the 2 lbs. Good going giving that cake away. Glad you had a ncie bday.

Quilter, Hope you are feeling better today. On the no carbs, I have read that Atkins is very hard on your liver after a while. Hope it works for you this week. I agree with you on the full stomach. It feels good not to get up from the table not miserable. Especially at holidays. Sorry you couldn't make it to chat last nite. We missed you. WTG on the 3 pounds. I'm sure you will be fine doing no carbs this week. Maybe next week do 1 a day.

Debyj, If those cookies are make with ww, then go for them. Have fun at the game.

Fortytude, Each of us want to drop that wt quickly. But as they always say, you didn't put it on overnite and you can't take it off overnite. Also a little at a time is healthier and will stay off longer. That is all well and good, but it doesn't make it any easier. Hang in there, it will come off before you know it.

Fillise, You are right. It is so hard. I said I would not watch all that stuff. Last nite, found myself glued to the tV. Cried all nite and all the way to work today. America is moving on, but my heart goes out to all those you lost loved ones that horrible day. I have said a lot of prayers today.

Gracious, WTG on the 1 lb. You did great on yur exercise. Keep up the good work.

Just want you all to know how much you all mean to me. I surely could not do this without any of you. Thanks for all your encouragement and love and friendship.

Love to all of you.

Jackie
257/172/145
10-10-01
Old 09-11-2002, 09:04 AM   #71  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Wedneday Morning Everyone

Had a choice to make this morning-A. Do I go for my walk or B. do I climb back in bed with ELI upon his request and forgo my exercise. I gave it a pondering thought weighing my options It looked like rain, my knee had been bothering me since yesterdays exercise, snuggling up to a warm body seemed pretty darn good-so I weighed the options for about 2 minutes and out for the walk/jog I went It wasn't an easy 4.5 miles today, took me 54:10, longer than I had thought since I did a lot of jogging, but my knee was absolutely killing me and I was really slow, but heck, at least I got out there despite having some mighty strong other options I could of taken and not gone!

The fund raiser at the school last night was successful. Don't have anything to compare it to since this was the first time we'd done this. I was a little peeved when I got there because there were no tables to set things up on and they KNEW I was coming with stuff and that's the least they could of done. In the end, it all went well and I think the other board members were pleased. I think we raised $175 or about that, though I don't know the final tally. This wasn't so much as a fund raiser as it was more to get the parents to Academy Night and earn a little extra money for the foundation. The stuff ELI brought from SB was a hit, the pastries, the coffee and 18 door prizes. Our big fund raiser is not until Spring and really is the only fund raising we do which is the NASDAQ 100 TENNIS TOURNAMENT. For each parent that works the tournament, the foundation earns $9 an hour. We have the potential to raise $10,000.00 for the foundation or more and that's our real focus.

Anyhow, I'm going to have to catch up with the individual posts later, as well as all the other stuff as I have to go get in the shower and go get my sister from the mechanics. Have errands to do for my Mom while she's still away-which also, the week of Sept. 22 I have to work during the day at an office to relieve a girl who works for my Mother-not looking forward to this but she asked and I accepted. Anyhow, I'll of course remind you all about that later on as I'll be a bit more scarce that week.

Will check in later. Hope you all have good WIW RESULTS to share!!!

Debbie
Old 09-11-2002, 10:13 AM   #72  
Wannabe skinny babe

Hey there, everyone!

I forgot it’s WIW, so I’ll have to check my progress tomorrow. I am feeling much better this week – my energy is returning, and except for still being a little sore, I feel almost “normal” from my surgery.

I am trying to get up a little earlier each morning, with the intent of taking the puppy for a walk for a little bit. Of course, it helps that the darn doggie has been waking me up to go out… she’s better than an alarm clock! We are still having “accidents” in the house – it’s been so long since I’ve trained a pup that I can’t remember how long it usually takes before they are housebroken.

I have managed to get my kitchen nearly in order in the new house, and last night, rearranged furniture in the living room and our bedroom. I have to get the house in order for the wedding, as I have my Maid of Honor, Bridesmaid, and Reader all staying in the house!

Actually, except for the boxes here and there, and needing to get closets organized and such, we’re doing pretty well. Dan is off this week, so he’s been doing all the “manly” stuff, like putting together wall and floor cabinets for the bathroom, mowing the jungle that is supposed to be our yard, and things like that.

I am really starting to get excited about the wedding. We’re meeting with the Pastors today, along with the wedding coordinator, to get the ceremony order finalized and go over details. We also have to write the check to pay for the church and reception hall. I think we’re going Friday evening to get the marriage license.

We’re meeting the organist tomorrow evening to go over music, and I have to get Rehearsal Dinner invitations sent out. Then it’s just ordering the cakes (one white and one chocolate from Costco), the cookies (from a local bakery), and picking up plates, napkins, etc.

My dress is supposed to be ready Sept. 27, and I hope to have the flowers finished by then. It’s all coming together!

One quick note to Debbie – you have SO much more strength than I do – if my hunny had been asking me to come back to bed and snuggle, there’s NO way I’d have gone out for a walk!

Hugs to all,

Jenn
Old 09-11-2002, 10:36 AM   #73  

Good morning everyone- Still feel kind of bad this morning but did walk on the treadmill.. And yea I lost 3 lbs. this week.. I sure needed that boost. Hope it holds up next week.. Made baked chicken last night with cajun seasoning on it.. It came out sooo good.. We've had a cool front come through here and theres a nice breeze blowing... On this day of rememberance let me thank you all for being so special to me...

Melf- What do you do with your okra. I've never had it anyway but fried...

Tranquil- Your chicken recipe sounds sooo good.. I'll have to try it soon.. Have to go get some groceries tomorrow so maybe I can get the stuff then.. Oh your so lucky to get a free treadmill. Its so nice to have when its to hot or cold to walk outside. For me its been a lifesaver.. I think watching the starches helped me out this week. Amazeing what they can do..

j red- Congradulations on the 2 lbs... Way to go and that feels so good after a big stall...

The Quilter- Oh your shake sounds so good.. Wish I had one right now... What kind of yogurt did you use? A soup yum... Think I need to eat at your house!!! LOL hope you weigh in good because you've left off the starchy carbs. Oh my gosh three lbs... Happy dance for you..

debj- Congradulations on the 2 lbs... Watch out for those ribs... Remember nothing tastes as good as slim feels.

fortytude- Yep we can do it... And be healthier, look and feel good..

Fillise- Yes this is a day for rememerance. I wasn't going to watch it but have the t.v. on right now..

Gracious- hooray for the pound of butter!!

Jack-K- Great for staying the same and not going up.. I'm sure as last week for me (staying the same) our bodies are just adjusting...

Debilli- Good for you on doing your walk/jog.. What can be done for your knee?

Okay signing off with my new weight... Yea!!

213/166/130
Old 09-11-2002, 10:40 AM   #74  

Jenn in MN- We must have been posting the same time.. All your wedding plans sound so exciteing.. What a wonderful time.. I hope you're recovering well from your surgery... And wow putting a new home together and training a puppy!!! To Busy you're making my head spin.....
Old 09-11-2002, 10:47 AM   #75  

Angry

Hi all!!!

Quick Post I'm at work. Well today I stayed the same which I expected since TOM is HERE. I'll be glad when he leaves!!

Even though I know the maintain is because of TOM. I know i need to reevaluate how much I am eating and get things moving again. I brought a food scale I need to start checking portions and seeing what true servings really look like. This is a problem I've had in the past. Oh well enough of my moaning. I guess I'm a little disappointed with myself be cause I started out on a roll. Well the good thing is at least I'm 18 lbs lighter since I started this WOE in June. Maybe I will try a week of no carbs except fruit and veggies.

Tranquil- Thanks for the recipe for the creamy Chicken. I think I will make that tonight because I have chicken breast unthawing in the fridge. I could eat cheick something or other every night with no problem. My family thinks I'm nuts.

Atlanta Mom- Welcome. This a great place with great people.

Quilter- Hi I missed you and post whenever you have the time. I'm always glad to hear from you.

Jack-K-I'm with you I'm reevaluating some things.

Well so much for a quick post. Sorry to complain to you guys. Have a great day!!
Closed Thread