Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #226  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Do you have any time for exercise on Sunday, Allison?
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #227  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I think I need an intervention or a wake up call! My weight is going up and fast! Lots of excuses but they're just excuses. Going to eat clean and get lots of exercise this weekend and hope to make some progress in the right direction.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:53 AM   #228  
in development

Will this do, Michele?

Old 08-13-2016, 12:18 PM   #229  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm at 150.4 on a Saturday when the humidity is oppressive, such that once you step outside, it feels as if you're over your head in lukewarm water. Those New Yorkers who've emigrated from tropical climates will feel as if they've gone home. Me, I'm staying in for the rest of the day with the air conditioners running. I will try to get some stuff done for work that I haven't been able to complete because of meetings and more urgent priorities.

Yes, Birchie, it's time to head Upstate and trudge through the fields of the huge antique show. And see if there are more things belonging to me that I can get out of my mother's house.

And I have a longing for fields and trees and standing someplace high up, looking out over Lake Ontario.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:19 AM   #230  

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post

Will this do, Michele?

Thanks for that!

Good day today. I'm sure I'll lose 5 pounds overnight. Right?!
Old 08-14-2016, 08:43 AM   #231  
in development

Meals planned for the day and exercises done. I'm working towards planning more than one day at a time.

I'll be working in the garden this afternoon.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #232  
Girl Gone Strong

I heard this on the local news yesterday: It's so humid in New York that the American cockroaches, which usually scurry on the ground, are likely to stretch their disused wings and start flying. This is horrifying. You all who are familiar with Palmetto bugs won't be as fazed as I am. I can't get out of here and head Upstate soon enough. But that long drive is still two days away.

I'm at 149.5 today and drinking mightily of iced tea.

Last edited by saef; 08-14-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:56 PM   #233  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

The weather has been similar here in mid-Michigan (mid-90s and humid), but still feels like a pleasant spring breeze compared to Guangzhou or Shanghai last month (120 and so humid the air condenses on your skin). Perspective is everything. However, the idea of flying cockroaches is truly horrifying.

Weight was up over 130 the last few days. Self-loathing has set in and yet I continue to eat in the same manner that resulted in this regain; today's calorie count ended up near 1900 though at least I did 90 minutes of exercise (weights followed by yoga).
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:47 AM   #234  
Girl Gone Strong

At 150.7 this morning, with a large box to take to the post office and mail, and a meeting at 10 AM for a project that I'm working on, or rather, that I will try not to work on during these eight days of vacation.

And the humidity is still high. Every day we have a thunderstorm and still it doesn't wring all the moisture out of the air or cool off the temperature. It's having an effect on me analogous to a snowstorm. I want to stay inside and huddle in.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:05 AM   #235  
in development

saef and Andrea, your weather doesn't sound very nice at all. And flying cockroaches? Horrible. Here, it's a pleasant summer day - the first we've had for some time because it's been not very warm and rainy.

Self-loathing sounds grim, Andrea.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:22 AM   #236  

Andrea-- I've done plenty of self-loathing in my day, trust me.

But, this weekend I decided to have a mind shift paradigm regarding my recent quick and significant weight gain. I thought-- I have two choices-- to get mad, wallow, and be miserable-- making others around me miserable in the process....

Or, to make it a challenge for myself... How quickly and effectively can I take the weight off with a good attitude? I told dh who seemed pleased I wasn't going to be morose! I worked hard all weekend and the scale is down 1.8 from Saturday's high. Rather than look at how many more pounds I need to shed, I'm looking at the positive. 1.8 down!
Old 08-15-2016, 09:53 PM   #237  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Actually managed to eat at maintenance today (1600 cal) but will need to bring it down toward 1200 for a few weeks straight to get back to 125. Planning dinner is the hardest part, but I've got the next few days mapped out in my fridge. My mantra: no (unplanned) snacks, no seconds, no sweets.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:09 AM   #238  
Girl Gone Strong

Now I'm 150.6. My feeling about my weight is ambivalent. Of course I want to weigh less, but I knew I'd gain weight as I worked over the past year to get back my muscle tone and strength. At this time last year, I was recovering from an outpatient procedure removing the lowermost pins in my plate. Now I'm deadlifting 185 lbs, as I said last week. My body had to change to be able to do that. Still, I'd hoped for a recomp rather than a gain.

It's going to be a sedentary day, after I head to the gym. I'll be making that four-to-five-hour drive Upstate to my mother's house through heat and humidity and the accompanying thunderstorms.

I'm still transitioning into vacation because I'm still thinking about project work and stuff I could get done on my vacation with none of the usual distractions like email. And yet that makes me sad, too, as if I can't think of anything better to do with free time. I need to get my head into a better space.

Last edited by saef; 08-16-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #239  
in development

Michele, well done for having a good attitude. I think I've got that at the moment.

Andrea, so good to have a few dinners mapped out in the fridge. I want to be able to get to this stage. I'm almost there and will be working on it with the SO.

saef, it sounded earlier as though one of your vacation ambitions was to get some of your possessions out of your mother's house. If you can do that it'll be terrific. I speak as one with some experience in this.
Quote:
You know you're serious about losing weight when ...

you eat a massive cottage cheese salad for lunch: cottage cheese, cottage cheese with prawns, one anchovy, lettuce, tomato, two oatcakes.
I can hardly move which is probably good as it will force me to let it go down properly.

I had the second blood test this morning and met the GP in the car park. We had a nice little chat but it reminded me that losing this weight has to be done.

We have nice summer weather here for a few days. It does lift the spirits.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #240  
Workin' It

I see the flying Palmetto bugs around here, they freak me out every single time.

I'm feeling okay today, but I think I'm coming down with a cold. I worked from home yesterday with headache medicine. I'm still finding things I typed yesterday when I should obviously have been resting. Cold and headache meds don't combine well with serious work topics.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote