Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-08-2016, 06:29 AM   #211  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I would think how many calories you eat during the day would also partly depend on what you do physically. For me, about 2000 - 2400 allows me to keep going and to not gain "real" weight.

I have mostly the same breakfast, lunch, and two snacks every day. Dinner is the one meal where I switch it up. And I have an evening snack of fruit and something dairy that is 100 cals (yogurt cup, frozen yogurt bar, etc).

Lunch, for me, is always a sandwich of sliced meat, sliced cheese, low fat mayo and margarine on whole wheat sliced bread. It's easy to transport and eat and requires no heating, cooling, etc. It has protein, fat and carbs.

Those of you who work inside have many more options obviously.

I weighed myself this morning after being back from my vacation for a week. Same as when I left for vacation. :

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:31 AM   #212  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

At 150.3, and regretting the missed opportunities of the past weekend, which was given over entirely to domestic chores and time on the laptop. I suspect that I lose weight when I'm away from the laptop because I move more and I'm less stressed-out by work.

My lunches are always salad with several kinds of proteins and some fats. I see it as an opportunity to eat vegetables. I'm always looking for ways to consume more vegetables, particularly green vegetables including kale, collards, broccoli, broccoli raabe, asparagus, green beans and brussel sprouts. Over the weekend, I made gazpacho, which will help: Basically a salad run through a food processor into a vegetable smoothie.

Last edited by saef; 08-08-2016 at 08:34 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #213  
Workin' It

I'm back up to 156.9 today, which is a little down from the 159.5 of last week. So, yay?

I haven't been taking good care of myself food wise the last few weeks, and I can feel it. We still don't know what is wrong with DH, he's still sick more than he's not. We had a few good days after first starting the new medicine on the 28th, but then back downhill last week and the weekend. He's starting to believe we'll never know and he'll just be sick forever. That isn't helping anyone's stress level. He has an endoscopy scheduled for 8/23.

I've still kept my exercise, yoga and headspace consistent, but haven't made the best food choices. My own acid reflux and gi issues are starting to peek back up, and I know that is from stress and poor diet. I am going to work on small steps this week - I will drink my protein breakfast shake every weekday and I will threw away the candy and junk in my desk drawer when I got to work today. I also tossed the trail mix, as I can't handle it right now. Healthy items for lunch and snacks will be next on the list to acquire.

One step at a time.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:17 PM   #214  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm back to work today and I'm hoping that being away from my fridge will diminish some of the calories I've been consuming.

Lots of school changes-- tons of new staff including a boat load of new teachers and a new Assistant Principal after a last minute move from our last one-- whom I loved.

Trying to figure out what needs to be done first and hoping Ellie survives her first all day out of the crate-- I crated her last year when I was at work, and have been gradually giving her more freedom. I took them for a long walk this morning so I'm hoping they behave.

I bought a spiralizer and a spiralizer cookbook and have been spiralizing like crazy-- weight finally moved downwards a tad today so I'm hoping this will help.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:39 PM   #215  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

saef, we have a runner bean glut in the garden so had them tonight with pangrattato (easier on the olive oil than below) and some pork loin chops. No bread for crumbs (long story) so I used the last stale wholewheat (long story) beigel from the batch I made for the cousins' visit last week. And, so delighted to say, with home-grown garlic and parsley.

"With pangrattato Make crunchy, headily flavoured crumbs by frying half a teacupful of fresh breadcrumbs with a small crushed clove of garlic in a splosh of olive oil. When golden stir in the grated zest of half a lemon, a handful of chopped parsley and salt and pepper. Toss boiled runner beans in olive oil and scatter with the crumbs, squeezing over a few drops of the lemon juice too." Xanthe Clay in The Telegraph, 12 August 2013.

Dagmar, protein, carbs and fat sound good to me. I'd have to have some veg or fruit as well, I think. Do you or is that just too difficult to manage?

Well done, Shannon. I bet that candy and junk had fluff on it. Thinking of you and DH.

Michele, back to school already?? I know I read about it and in Atlanta too last week but I can hardly believe it.

Today went quite well. I was out for a meeting some distance away in the afternoon and had an apple and seven almonds at 3pm. That was too early really. I got back home and had two cups of tea, and kept on going with a hundred and one things + making the tea (see above). Big mistake as this led to indigestion.

Learning point: mid-afternoon snack time is 4pm, for preference. Sit down, and stay sitting down, for afternoon cups of tea. Relax for a moment or two and do nothing at all.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #216  
Girl Gone Strong

At 149.8, which is where I was on Friday morning. I had one of those stronger-than-usual days in the gym this morning, where I felt alert, braced by walking through the cool morning air, less sleepy and more capable than usual. Still lifting 185 lbs for deadlifts, three sets of four reps, and doing fine on the last rep.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:59 AM   #217  

Glad you are feeling strong today, Saef!

Yes, Birchie-- it feels too early for me as well. Kids don't come back until Monday. Today is registration where we register our 1000+ students (hopefully). We actually are going back much earlier this year and to compensate for a shorter break, we were told we would have 5 extra discretionary days we could take (we have 2 a year normally). The email yesterday outlining this said we could use our sick days (up to 5) without having to have a reason, so not quite the same. I almost never take a sick day so I may use some of them this year-- but I hate to do that as there isn't a sub for me and the library doesn't function without me... But, dd will graduate in December so I'll have to take off at least a couple of days then. It will be a busy few months! Earlier school start means earlier book fair for me so that always keeps me hopping!

Weight up a tad today but I lifted heavy yesterday. Hope to see a drop tomorrow....
Old 08-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #218  
Workin' It

Birchie - DSS has been in school for over a week now. He is much unhappy about it.

Michele - sometimes you have to take the day. I know that the library doesn't have a sub, but you can't hold yourself responsible for that part.

Saef - glad you are having a strong day!

I'm down a little over last Friday, first time I was able to weigh since then. I'm okay with lower after a weekend.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #219  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Birchie I have fruit with breakfast and as an evening snack. Veggies are part of the afternoon snacks as well as dinner. I try to eat more veggies on the weekends and there's always room for more fruit then as well.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #220  
Girl Gone Strong

I've been hungry a few times, and yet the scale said 152.3 this morning.

But I feel better this morning as something I've worked on for seven days was just handed in by the project manager. And I have a vacation starting in just three days' time.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #221  

Hooray for vacations! I have no idea when I'll take a vacation but I'm always dreaming of the next one. We've had some unexpected expenses so we have to tighten our belts for awhile. Luckily it is the last semester we will be paying for college so once we get through this year, we should be better. We do need to figure out travel schedules for dd's graduation in Arizona so that will probably be my next trip unless something unexpected comes up...
Old 08-11-2016, 11:07 AM   #222  
Girl Gone Strong

Scale now up to 152.6 this morning.

At this rate, I will hit 160 again, which is what I weighed when I was hit by the car.

Not feeling good, as one project was promptly replaced by another -- an initiative they said they were rolling out at the end of the year, but now suddenly, decided to give a "soft launch" just NEXT WEEK. That will happen during my PTO, so I will not bear the whole brunt of it.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:43 AM   #223  
Girl Gone Strong

Scale at 151.8.

Finally watched some of the Olympics last night, rather than logging back onto my laptop. Good to see all of those strong, muscular bodies. The amazing Simone Biles blew my mind.

I go on vacation after today but it doesn't feel like it.

Last edited by saef; 08-12-2016 at 05:44 AM.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:37 AM   #224  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Where are you going on vacation, saef? Is it the antiques-fair-in-a-field time of year?

I am doing well with my new approach which is, I suppose, calorie counting with a lower fat angle. I've lost a few pounds, my face looks better and, somehow or another, my abs feel stronger. I'm doing the flexibility, corrective and floor exercise trio most days and fitting in some brisk walking, although if I'm not careful this aggravates my back for a bit. Onward!

Bad night's sleep last night as the wind was blowing directly into the bedroom so I had the window just ajar. That made it too hot and stuffy.

Today brings paying bills and getting things ready for doing my annual accounts. I plan to do a bit every day until it's finished. Then I'll do my tax return which is slightly more complicated this year. I'm so pleased that I've got a big, empty desk at the office to lay out all the little bits of paper.

I must also repot some of the plants I brought from my uncle's. I don't think I've told you that I'm going on a slug and snail patrol each evening just after dark. They decimate my plants so I pick them off and drop them in a bucket of salty water which I then chuck over the fence into the field.

I hope you have a more exciting weekend lined up than me!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:21 AM   #225  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I've been sorely lacking in the exercise department--finding any excuse not to do even the minimum. We leave for a week in Utah on Tuesday and I doubt I'll exercise Monday evening because I'll be busy packing. See? Another excuse.

Eating has been fine and I haven't gained, but I haven't lost, either.

We're golfing this morning at our old course which requires we walk it. I hope the heat doesn't kill us.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote