Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #271  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

I'd add an electric kettle to Dagmar's list - hot tea, coffee if you use a French press, instant miso, easy couscous, etc.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:01 PM   #272  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm so sorry, Saef. I can only imagine your frustration.

I took today off to get medical stuff done and I accomplished a ton! I took the dogs for a big walk, went to bikram yoga, then off to my appointments. After dropping the cat off for her urine check. Then I had my mammogram, bone density screening, and blood work done. Back to pick up the cat, grocery shop, and home by 2:30! Now I'm debating what to do until my 5:00 nail appointment. Another dog walk perhaps.

All good. Not so good is my dd who had a boyfriend for the first time in many years. She found some red flags and broke up with him last night. While she seems ok, the last breakup she had threw her into severe depression. While I know she's much stronger now, dh and I asked if she'd like me to visit and she said yes, so I'm taking the red eye Friday night to Houston, returning Sunday. As I can't sleep on planes, I should arrive completely exhausted. My best friend since high school lives there so we will all go out and have some fun to cheer her up. Sigh...
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:10 PM   #273  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Nothing like getting home from vacation and seeing this. And it's not like I'm particularly fond of the smell of wet and decomposing drywall and plaster.

Thanks, all, for the encouraging words.

[Edited by me: Image deleted]

Last edited by saef; 08-25-2016 at 05:33 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:16 PM   #274  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Oh Saef, you really do seem to have a black cloud. That's what we call it when a doctor always ends up with a lot of admissions or difficult patients when it's their turn to be on call. Not that doctors are superstitious mind you. Wish I were there in person to make you a cup of coffee and give you a hug.

Silverbirch, glad you're feeling better about yourself. I too love weight lifting, far more than any form of cardio.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:41 AM   #275  
Girl Gone Strong

I'm at 149.5 this morning, now that I'm back in the land of scales.

And woke to the same life, facing the same mess.

This morning was a trial because I tried to carry on through my morning routine of making breakfast and coffee. Each time I open my fridge, bits of plaster rain down that have fallen from the top. I plugged in my coffee pot in the dining room (MUST have coffee), set on the floor because of its short cord, and ran the microwave in the kitchen to warm up a bowl of rolled oats, ground flaxseed and almond milk -- which, combined with the dehumidifier and industrial fan, was enough to trip the breakers. It's hard to open my front door to get to the breakers because the floor boards warped from the water damage, and the breaker box wouldn't even without being pried with a thin knife.

Now to the gym and then to try working from home. Not sure what time the adjuster will come by.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:51 AM   #276  
Girl Gone Strong

At 149.7.

Lots of phone calls yesterday, including opening a claim on my homeowner's insurance, and a visit from the co-op's insurance adjuster. Now I'm in a different place than I was yesterday. And I mean that literally: My insurance company booked an extended-stay hotel room for me (with a kitchen) through the end of the month. I could have moved in last night, but after a full day at work, it was too much for me to imagine decamping suddenly. I will have time today to think about what to take with me.

That means I've got a plan. Also, I realized I've got to somehow start emptying the kitchen and half of the dining room. I need boxes. I need to steel myself: I can do this. I've done this before, twice, with almost no preparation, once when Hurricane Sandy was predicted and once when salvaging after Hurricane Irene. And it's not the entire apartment, it's just about half of it.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:23 AM   #277  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

That's very good to have a plan, saef. Does 'through the end of the month' mean until the beginning of September?

Full set of exercises here this morning and a sunny day. Food will be OK, I think, but I need to make sure I eat enough. Weights=ravenous.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #278  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

You can do this, Saef. You are strong.

I'm not feeling strong this morning and am trying to give myself a pep talk. I hate that my weight continues to dictate my mood. My pants are very tight and therefore, I feel blah. I'm still up 10 pounds from when I went on my July trip and am heading to Houston for the weekend, where food and exercise will likely not be up to par. Trying to remind myself of all that is good in my life.

I have a volunteer training meeting for new library volunteers this afternoon. I made a slide presentation and I was excited to use that, but our projection system is down. Not sure it will be fixed by this afternoon. Also, I have no idea how many parents to expect as the meeting is optional. Last year was the first year I offered the training and I had about 15 people turn up. For a formerly painfully shy person who could never speak in public, this is a little anxiety producing, but I'm sure it will be fine. If only my pants weren't so tight!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:56 PM   #279  
Workin' It

Saef - I'm so sorry to hear about your apartment. I hope that the process goes as smoothly as possible.

Michele - my weight dictates my mood way too often. Good luck on your presentation today! The projection system being down is annoying.

Birchie - glad you are seeing the impact of your weights! I also love them, though fuss about them regularly as well.

I'm doing okay. Water weight is coming back down from a terrible diet last weekend, and trying to get myself back on track for this one. DSS's mom had a death in the family, so we have uncertainty on our schedule this weekend. Schedule changes always throw me off track. I need this one not to do that.

Mowed my lawn as part of my exercise this morning before work and got a little sunburn. This doesn't make me happy, I thought I did a better sunscreen job than I obviously did.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:44 PM   #280  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Saef, remember: Girl Gone Strong. You have, you are, and you WILL. Maybe there was something about that kitchen that needed to change, and the force of your awesomeness created the opportunity? Not only is the glass half full ... top that sucker off and CHUG it! It's got to the be last thing you wanted to have on your plate at the moment, I'm sure.

Dagmar, your housesit sounds a bit like the last two weeks I've just had. I wish you an uneventful 6 1/2 days, with as few cleanups as possible. They're animals. The owners too, from the sound of it. Oh, your own house and pets will seem glorious, won't they?

I am one of two supplier quality engineers covering three separate plants that churn out over 750,000 automotive cameras in a month. My counterpart was on a two week vacation. Yeah, and no other backup except my manager. I assigned him the few hot-button, politically charged items and just tried to stay organized. It was nuts. And the time passed quickly, a few things fell through the cracks here and there, and nobody fired me. Even though for a few minutes I occasionally wished they would! No such luck. This is why I'd gone missing again.

to all! I need to read back a few and catch up. Chicks, I have a lot of work to do again. Tomorrow I will "run" an 8K. I am going to let the race photos become my new Before, and my ticker will begin ticking again tomorrow. It'll suck - I'm single-digits away from my original starting weight. I will be 50 in May next year ... and I can't/won't be in this place next spring. I am way too young to be this stiff and weak. NO MORE.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:28 AM   #281  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Go Becky go! You're turning 50 next year and I'm turning 60. Here's to both of us hitting those milestone birthdays with everything we've got!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:40 AM   #282  
Girl Gone Strong

Becky, thanks for your good wishes in your drop-by. You deal with automotive cameras? That is a blessed invention, and therefore, you are a goddess. Every day, I thank silently whoever invented that thing and enables me to get a good view behind my car in the space-tight NY areea. While I was on vacation, I took my mother's van out and repeatedly wished that it also had a backup camera, since the increased mass & dimensions of that unfamiliar vehicle made me tentative and worried about guessing what kind of space I could move in.

Woke up this morning in the extended-stay hotel, a comfortably pleasant place that nevertheless makes me rather uneasy. What is it about these nice, generic places that seems to negate any context, personal history or sense of attachment? I feel like I could forget ever having owned an apartment or even that I have a different life, drive to the nearby mall and buy a whole new identity and wardrobe at TJ Maxx. But I have to make myself head over to my apartment, get to the gym, return and start packing.

No idea what I weigh, since I did not remember to pack the bathroom scale last night. It's coming with me today. I'm still trying to figure out how to keep myself at least where I am at physically when I have nothing but a microwave and a cooktop with two burners. (I know you all managed, so keep the ideas coming.) Also my gym is no longer just around the block, it's a drive. And my commute to work has become even more complicated.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:06 AM   #283  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Another fan of backup cameras. My first knowledge of them came with our 36' RV (since sold) that not only had a camera, but also a microphone, so one could stand behind the loud diesel and talk to the person backing into a parking spot. That was nice. Then DH got an add-on one to his SUV. Now it's pretty standard on all new cars, so all our cars have them. The kids' cars don't because we bought them nice, entry level cars at age 16 (Civic for DD and Elantra for DS) with the expectation that the cars last them 10 years because by then, we'd hoped, they'd have graduated college and have careers. DD will be 26 this year and still has three years to her PhD and therefore, the car probably has to last longer (unless her husband gets a job--that's a story for later). DS is on track to graduate this year and is hem-hawing on the grad school idea. Who knew I'd raised perpetual students?

Golfing this morning. This afternoon, DD and SIL are coming for a short stay. Hoping SIL has news on the job front (he's applied to be a police officer and if accepted should enter the police academy soon). Keep your fingers crossed! (I have champagne in the fridge just in case!)
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:17 AM   #284  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Ugh Becky, your work story is one that I can utterly sympathize with. I'm glad that you are emerging from the other side.

Saef, when I'm in situations like that I sometimes enjoy that feeling of starting over, loss of former self, etc. But that's usually when I'm traveling and can genuinely feel reinvented. Having to still go to work and maintain a normal schedule must be disorienting. Do you have a decent kitchen setup?
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #285  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Sadly, SIL didn't get into the police academy. Now, DD is talking him into a part-time job as a school crosswalk guard. Hmmm.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote