Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-14-2016, 09:58 AM   #106  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm at 146.7, not all that different from yesterday's weight, but heck, it is lower, right? Someone at the gym told me today that I look fantastic, so the nine pounds that I've gained since this time last year may consist of some muscle as well as fat.

No, my career was not damaged by the presentation on Tuesday, as that word "misdirected" made it clear we'd been given the wrong instructions by someone above us. But we did waste our time, and I've lost a weekend that I'll never get back. Anyway I ran a fairly successful, fairly brief meeting on this project this morning where we learned something important, so I feel better.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:51 AM   #107  
Girl Gone Strong

And it's 146.4 this morning. I'm looking forward to a day of catching up on "paperwork," rather than meetings. (Of course, there is no paper, since everything I'll do will be Word and PowerPoint documents transmitted through email and viewed on laptops and mobile devices.) But I never know, really, if I will be left alone to get this essential work done, or if emails will start coming in about some problem that needs to be solved immediately.

Relieved to have made it to the weekend. Nearly. My airconditioners will be humming since it's going to get into the 90s and humid, according to 1010-WINS on my alarm clock this morning.

Last edited by saef; 07-15-2016 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:26 AM   #108  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

3rd day back from China. Official weigh-in is 127.4, about 3 pounds less than when I left. This represents the effects of a high(er) fat, high(er) carbohydrate diet with fewer total calories than I'd been eating in the U.S. due to virtually no snacks between meals or at night. It probably also reflects some loss of muscle mass, which I can see in the mirror, due to no exercise other than walking for a month (the Chinese do not believe in weight training- only one hotel out of the 8 I stayed in had a gym at all, and that one had dumbells that TOPPED OUT at 10 pounds).

My goal now is simply not to revert to bad habits of snacking/mini-binges between meals, especially not after dinner. I need to make sure I really feel full when I get up from the table, and will try to make my food oilier than I am accustomed to (especially the vegetables), for "sticking power" - prevention of hunger 3-4 hours after a meal.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post
3rd day back from China. Official weigh-in is 127.4, about 3 pounds less than when I left. This represents the effects of a high(er) fat, high(er) carbohydrate diet with fewer total calories than I'd been eating in the U.S. due to virtually no snacks between meals or at night. It probably also reflects some loss of muscle mass, which I can see in the mirror, due to no exercise other than walking for a month (the Chinese do not believe in weight training- only one hotel out of the 8 I stayed in had a gym at all, and that one had dumbells that TOPPED OUT at 10 pounds).

My goal now is simply not to revert to bad habits of snacking/mini-binges between meals, especially not after dinner. I need to make sure I really feel full when I get up from the table, and will try to make my food oilier than I am accustomed to (especially the vegetables), for "sticking power" - prevention of hunger 3-4 hours after a meal.
Not bad! I'm hoping for no weight gain in Tokyo but we will see. My weight is up and I've no one to blame but myself. Eating good food... Just too much...

For the record, I've not been to China, but dh travels there often. In fact, he's there now. I've been to Hong Kong, where his brother lives, but nowhere else in Asia yet.

I've got an eye doc appointment and a hair appointment today so lots of sitting. I got up early to walk dogs and do yoga first.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:59 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Friday morning, weight up .2 pounds. This might be stress related as we got some rather bothersome news last night that made both me and DH quite upset (to the point that we both decided a nightcap might help us sleep--which it did, albeit with some strange dreams).

S-goo 7 ish hours
E-30 minutes on the treadmill
B-berries and yogurt
L-not sure, going out and we haven't decided on a destination
D-again not sure, depends on our hunger after lunch out, probably something rather light but it all depends on what I have on hand at home
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #111  
Workin' It

Allison - hope everything is okay!

Sitting in a waiting room this morning while DH has his CT scan.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #112  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Allison - hope everything is okay!

Sitting in a waiting room this morning while DH has his CT scan.
You, too! Hopefully the CT results indicate and easy "fix" to the problem

My problem is weird. Last night, at 7 PM, I got an email from the company that my financial advisor works for. The email said that my advisor and his partner are no longer with the firm and that my assets would be handled by a different group (with whom I have no connection). We immediately went into a kind of panic mode--searching our phones and the internet for the home/cell phone for our advisor to find out WTF was going on. We've been his client for over 20 years and no way am I blindly going with this other group! And frankly, I find it disconcerting that a company would alert it's clients after hours like that.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:11 PM   #113  
Workin' It

Allison - that does seem a very impersonal mode of communication. Did your advisors who left have a non compete agreement?

Well, CT scan results are already back. They called this afternoon to schedule another test, this one more specialized. In addition to the cyst on the kidney, there is something going on with the liver. Trying not to freak out.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:08 AM   #114  
Girl Gone Strong

Shannon, I'm sorry you're left with this continuing tension of unanswered questions and more testing. The old question: Is it worse not to know and to wonder, or to know and to fear?

I'm still at 146.4 and thinking, since this is another weekend of sequestration with work, writing up year-end reviews that I didn't have time to write over the past week, and anticipating a week-long business trip, what can I do for myself that would be a nice thing? I mean genuinely nice. Not the "feels nice for a moment but is really not good for me" kind of nice.

Also I feel a little stuck and am looking at undone things in my home, thinking if I could get unstuck, if I could get just one of them done, it would help me feel better.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:40 AM   #115  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Shannon Hoping for a good outcome for your DH.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #116  

Shannon, first of all, prayers for your husband. We spoke to our advisor (technically, the phone call "never happened") that evening. The group was forced to sign a non-compete agreement stating that they would not contact their clients, but I don't think it prevents them from moving to a new firm. Several years ago, we followed our advisor from one firm to another after that first firm was bought by a huge bank and started forcing them to do non-sensical things. It appears that they were thinking of leaving the firm and were looking to a new one when the other group in the same office caught wind of it, told the firm, and were let go before they could move and take their clients with them. Little do they know that most clients will follow them regardless of what the firm thinks. They are that good to their clients. I was assuming that the new group would contact us again requesting us to sign forms to allow them to touch our assets. If they do, I'll tell them that I don't enter into contracts willy-nilly and that I have to do my due diligence first. In the mean time, I can do what I want with my assets via the bank where the money is stored--all without this new advisory group.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #117  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Shannon, thinking of you both. Knowledge is power.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

JZJ,
How's the new job so far? Why were you dreading its start? And I may have missed it, but is dh planning on working?

Good thoughts for you, Shannon! Do you know when you might get answers?
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:13 PM   #119  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Shannon, the only bad thing about weekends is when you are waiting for results or more tests to happen. I am focusing on a good outcome for your DH. Is "benignity" a word?

Allison, glad you were able to contact your advisor.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:25 PM   #120  
Workin' It

Thanks for the positive thoughts, everyone. We can't have the next test until 7/25, they can't schedule two with contrast closer together than that or you risk damage to the kidneys or liver. As those are the parts we are worried about, we definitely don't want to do anything to mess with them. So this weekend, next week, and another weekend of worry before the MRCP, then however long those results take. My mom is a nurse - she has warned me not to google, of course I haven't completely listened.

Allison - glad you got your advisors.

Saef - did you come up with something nice to do for you?

Alice - I love the word benignity. I'm going to use it, real or not.