Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-25-2016, 04:28 AM   #1  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Maintainers! Let's Just Lose It! Lose It! Lose It!

Bit of an homage there to Reel 2 Real. Move it, move it! also applies to us, of course.

Stick with your plan and good luck as you get rid of the excess pounds, avoirdupois or flab. If you're anything like me, you simply don't need this excess and you'd be much better off without it.

So let's wave it bye-bye and be done with it.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:37 AM   #2  
in development

I hope to show more grit than I did yesterday. Today has to be less unsettling and I really do need to lose weight.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:38 AM   #3  
in development

Default 'Brexit'

Off topic, I know, but in response to comments yesterday.

About our EU referendum result. Many people here have never felt entirely comfortable with the EU. I voted in our previous all country referendum in 1975, also about leaving the EU (then the EEC).

What has really tipped it, this time, are the effects of globalisation and neo-liberalism (industries destroyed, privatisation, loss of jobs, austerity) on the country. 2008 and the prescribed medicine of austerity has had appalling effects here. In my opinion, that is a major reason why regions that receive large amounts of EU funding because of their poverty have voted Leave.

It's a very complicated picture indeed but other elements are feeling excluded from politics and some associated dislike of the elite European civil service, the EU's 'ever closer union' project (which the UK has opted out of, but which seems to impinge in legal ways) and larger flows of immigration than previously (and racism).

Those areas that voted Remain probably have different reasons for doing so: London is more cosmopolitan, I suppose, and very different from the rest of the country; many in Scotland have a strong independence agenda and see their future away from the UK; and I have no idea about the county where I live, except it's very poor and receives a lot of EU farming and other subsidies.

I believe Cameron miscalculated very badly when he offered a referendum in 2013. He didn't seriously think it could happen - and it has, in very unpleasant uproar. And with the murder of an MP. We are all diminished by the loss of Jo Cox. Quite appalling.

Finally, Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty (to leave the EU) has not been triggered immediately. That's very interesting. Watch this space for possible negotiation of a new relationship with the EU. And lastly (!), there is a petition for another referendum: We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum. 900k signatures so far.

Trump - as mysterious a phenomenon to me as the extremely devious (and dangerous) Boris Johnson.

I'm on the phone so this isn't a very smooth and comprehensive reply. I wanted to make some response, though. These are very unsettling days.

Last edited by silverbirch; 06-25-2016 at 05:39 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:10 AM   #4  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Posting from China (specifically, a place called Zhangjiajie, which became famous as the location where the film Avatar was shot). We got here from Shanghai yesterday, and have been here for over a week now. South-western China, where we were until now (first Hong Kong, then Guangzhou, then Shanghai) was HOT. Like 95-100 degrees hot, with virtually 100% humidity. My weather app cheerfully stated yesterday that while it was merely 99 degrees for the high, the "real feel" was 124. I believe it. I couldn't enjoy what we were seeing because I felt physically ill. I drank over a liter of water and didn't urinate once between breakfast and dinner. Anyway, when the temp was a more tolerable 90, like after dark and for 3 out of our 8 days, we did more vigorous, and more enjoyable, sight-seeing. I'm getting used to "dinner for breakfast" as the kids call it (Chinese breakfast is basically the same stuff they eat at every meal, plus soy milk to drink instead of tea), and the heat is keeping my appetite down.

Brexit seems to be the exact same phenomenon as Trumpism, with the same mindset and the same people choosing both. The rise of a new xenophobic, nationalist fervor is pretty depressing. Apparently, the sentiment is now world-wide. It seems that the more people try to unite, the more divided they wish to become.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:06 AM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Weighed just a little less than yesterday: 146.3. It seems that 145 is my new 143, if that makes sense.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I didn't weigh in this morning. Last night was our monthly wine dinner and we got up early to golf this morning. I think tomorrow will be a better day to weigh.

Very interesting information about Brexit. I've been reading more individual comments on Reddit rather than reading the news. News is more general whereas you don't get the individual perspective.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:26 AM   #7  
in development

Sorry I'm all over this thread today. I'll sink back into obscurity after I've thanked JayZeeJay for this:

Quote:
Birchie, my family is from Missouri (most of them still live there) and I'm glad to supply you with words with local flavor.
E.g. "That dog will hunt" = that idea will work. Opposing opinion = "that dog WON'T hunt".
Thank you very much! I'm in discussion with the potential client who appears to live in the UK and it could all work out. At that point, I plan to come out with my new phrase: That dog will hunt! And he will be amazed and increase the price because of such added value. (If this happens, JZJ, we can sort out some kind of regular supply and profit-sharing scheme. )

I have had my lunch. Small amount of BLTs. Lots of L and T. I want something else but I'm going to show grit and just go and read my book for a little while and let my food go down.

OK, signing off now. Over and out.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Lose it lose lose it! :

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Weighed just a little less than yesterday: 146.3. It seems that 145 is my new 143, if that makes sense.
Yeah, like 135 is my new 133, and 138 is my new 135 for winter. I'm kind of worried that the weight is going up slightly over a long time period. But I take solace in the thought that I can really DIET after I retire. I won't be outdoors all day and can consume a whole lot less cals without thinking I'm going to

Dagmar
Old 06-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #10  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Sorry I'm all over this thread today. I'll sink back into obscurity after I've thanked JayZeeJay for this:

Thank you very much! I'm in discussion with the potential client who appears to live in the UK and it could all work out. At that point, I plan to come out with my new phrase: That dog will hunt! And he will be amazed and increase the price because of such added value. (If this happens, JZJ, we can sort out some kind of regular supply and profit-sharing scheme. )
No need for remuneration of any sort! I've spent my entire life rolling my eyes at our family euphemisms, I can't in good conscience profit from them now.

Here's another, courtesy of my father: when a child/animal/wife is scurrying around in a disorganized or crazed fashion, they are behaving "like a fart in a whirlwind".
Oh, and instead of saying "I'd rather...", one says "If I'd my druthers...".

Andrea, wow - that heat sounds oppressive indeed. Good for appetite suppression as you say, but a hindrance to touristy exploration. I've always wanted to see Zhangjiajie.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:55 AM   #11  
in development

Andrea, that is so hot and so oppressive with the humidity as well.

JayZeeJay, thanks very much. I've got some way to go, I can see that ...

Politics is firing off in all directions here. Grim, grim, grim. It's difficult to know what to do: cut myself off from the (partly artificially induced) media frenzy, or be in touch and up to date. I'm here with you at breakfast time because I would really like two slices of toast and butter, one with Marmite and one with honey, as a second course. I don't think that's a good idea if I want to lose weight, however shifting the sands feel underfoot.

OK, I'll get into my PE clothes and do a set of exercises. I'm moving forward from the intense hip pain stage but I haven't tried much walking. I'd like to try that today but the forecast is for torrential rain. I'm seeing my trainer on Wednesday and I hope to move forward again.

Thanks for being here.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Sunday morning, weight down slightly. I intend to be very watchful this week. I'm off to the grocery store soon to stock up. The plan is blueberries for breakfast (they're in season, plentiful, and much reduced in price right now) and other fruit for snacks. Salads for lunch. We're starting back up with Blue Apron, but with DS here for the summer, the meals for two will be stretched to feed three so that means smaller, lower calorie, portions for all. If need be, we'll have salad or fruit to stretch it.

I'm also planning on afternoon treadmill and weigh training sessions this week.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:15 PM   #13  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Wandered away for a while; the end of the school year pulled ahead and DS16 also getting prepped to head out for the concert tour - I know I've been busy but I couldn't supply details if I had to! I haven't even done much lurking. Hope everyone is well and I look forward to catching up and getting back on track again! And yeah ... I've got the same flab to deal with. I have some high hopes for this upcoming week - the spouse is headed off on a 5 day business trip, and I think I can bust some carb cravings while he's gone, as well as experiment with some early-morning workouts. Obviously, what I've been doing (which isn't much, truthfully) is not working and I have finally accepted the fact that I'm going to have to work harder at this weight-loss thing. I'll get on the scale tomorrow and see where I'm at. I don't think it's much different, as I'm wedged in one of those aggravating set points.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:57 PM   #14  

Becky Nice to see you!

Dagmar
Old 06-27-2016, 10:11 AM   #15  
Workin' It

Love the new thread title!

Birchie - you and my other friends in the UK have been heavy in my mind all weekend long. I had to distance myself from the media frenzy yesterday to save my sanity, I'm sure that it must be overwhelming where you are today. I hope your hip is starting to feel better. I have some southern-isms if you need any of those, as well.

Hey there, Becky!

Allison - how is the temp there now? Still crazy hot?

Andrea - I can't even imagine that temperature. Wow.

I'm again tired today. I had a hard time sleeping last night, knowing I had to get up early for exercise before taking DSS back to his mom's on the way to work.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote