Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-03-2016, 06:09 AM   #316  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

My second Saturday in this hotel. Unlike this past Saturday, I don't need to pack up anything on a hot humid day. I just need to figure out what my weekend routine is going to be like, now that I've been displaced.

I'm at 148.7 today, in spite of being in my hotel room all day yesterday, mostly in video conference meetings, and I am still hacking up phlegm like an old chain smoker.

I could get some work done, too, but I find myself longing for some diversion, something like a pedicure or going to a movie.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #317  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Which fitbit have you got, Michele?

And this hurricane - Hermione? Is it near anyone we know here? I've been thinking about JayEll and Shannon, and do you remember Megan who posted here for ages?
Was having an email exchange with a client about whales and thought of Megan yesterday. It was always so interesting to see her posts of the wildlife she studied.

I wonder what became of her?

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #318  

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post

Don't really have any weekend plans as dh will be gone so plenty of time to focus on being healthy I hope.... Monday off with no plans.... Any great weekend/ Labor Day plans out there I can drool over?
I'm going to an art exhibit tomorrow - Lawren Harris - and then checking out a bunch of stuff downtown. I never get down there any more so it'll be interesting to see the changes in the last couple of years.

We are also going to see "War Dogs" tonite - my choice, much to DH's surprise.

Dagmar
Old 09-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #319  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Was having an email exchange with a client about whales and thought of Megan yesterday. It was always so interesting to see her posts of the wildlife she studied.

I wonder what became of her?

Dagmar
I was thinking of her as well, what with Hermine starting kind of in the area where she lived. Hope she is well.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #320  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Wet, wet, wet. Still getting rain bands! Another downpour just started. Rivers and streams above flood level. Everything is OK where I live, though, and I managed to do grocery shopping last Tuesday before things turned.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #321  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Wet, wet, wet. Still getting rain bands! Another downpour just started. Rivers and streams above flood level. Everything is OK where I live, though, and I managed to do grocery shopping last Tuesday before things turned.
Glad to hear you're OK JayEll. Hope it's mostly over for you now.

Dagmar
Old 09-04-2016, 06:44 AM   #322  
Girl Gone Strong

I'm at 148.4 this morning, not surprised because I worked hard yesterday. From 6 AM till 6 PM, though I went from one distraction to another, sorrow and anger still seeped in around the edges during the transitions, walking or sitting waiting for the next activity to commence. Though I know better, I'm still asking, "Why me?"

Anyway, I got a pedicure in between matinee showings of "Florence Foster Jenkins" and "Equity," both movies about wealthy women seeking recognition, both quite good, though I'll give the edge to the former, and not just because of Meryl Streep. It just asked some harder questions that I'm still turning over in my mind.

Maybe also because I remember meeting its director, Stephen Frears, when his child graduated from the college where I had a work-study job while getting my master's degree. He had a "Grifters" backpack and was wry and sardonic, and I had enough presence of mind to compliment him on "Dangerous Liaisons." He asked if that would get him a discount on the money that was due before we'd hand over his son's diploma. I had to tell him it would not. Good for him for trying, though.

Last edited by saef; 09-04-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:12 PM   #323  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Glad you're OK, JayEll, if a bit damp.

Saef, so interesting to hear you talk about 'the transitions'. These have been troublesome spaces for me, over the last few years, and sometimes I've marked them by eating something. Or, in what I gather is a British way, by making a pot of tea. I know that some women have a cigarette. It's usually when there are too many different things going on, and I am unable to move seamlessly from, say, pruning the roses to writing the summary of a report to making a meal.

Things are going well here, in the main. Since Andrea made her excellent suggestion of tuna, mayonnaise and vegetable carb for a post weights mini-meal, my life has been transformed! The addition of some fat to the protein and carbs I was eating is brilliant. I do weights in the morning and I feel good. I eat the mini-meal and, with lunch too, I have enough energy to power through the afternoon and into making the evening meal without conking out. Then I eat something minimal for my evening meal, as I prefer to do. It's made me think about how I much prefer to front-load my eating, and I have been wondering about whether I need to change things generally. At present, though, I've decided to eat more on weights day and stay with my usual eating plan/pattern on other days.

Anyway, big thanks to Andrea!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:32 PM   #324  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My feeling is that once DS goes back to school, I'll feel less inclined to make "meals" for dinner and more inclined to make snacks for DH and myself. I think that will help immensely.

Three weeks to go, but before that, DH and I have a short vacation to Tahoe starting Tuesday.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:44 PM   #325  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

You're welcome Silverbirch. Wish I could truly take credit, but there are like 100 weight lifting sites/apps/books that tell you to have a recovery meal that is mainly protein and fat. Of course, most of the sites/apps/books talk about "fake food" like protein-powder smoothies with soy or coconut milk rather than eating actual food. But, the principle is the same; take in 15-25 grams of protein with 8-12 grams of fat and you're good to go.

Saef, good on you for using this new hurdle in your life as a way to lose rather than gain weight. Your apartment struggles are really a frustration but you're coping.
Any possibility of you buying a condo somewhere near your current apartment? You'd certainly have more control over your environment.

JayEll, what's a rain band?
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:27 AM   #326  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post
there are like 100 weight lifting sites/apps/books that tell you to have a recovery meal that is mainly protein and fat. Of course, most of the sites/apps/books talk about "fake food" like protein-powder smoothies with soy or coconut milk rather than eating actual food. But, the principle is the same; take in 15-25 grams of protein with 8-12 grams of fat and you're good to go.
So interesting. When Shannon and I were fixtures on the Ladies who Lift board (now has a new name), perhaps eight or 10 years ago, that wasn't the case. Protein + carb was the post-weights meal of choice. I suppose 'low fat' was still swirling around in the atmosphere a bit. I used to read a lot about weights in those days. Then I got injured and rather gave up on the arguments and trends. Good to have someone here who's keeping up with them!

Down several pounds. It might be about 5, or even 6 when I see the nurse next week.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:03 AM   #327  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

"A rainband is an area of rainfall where all the clouds and precipitation are stretched out in a long line or band." --Wikipedia.

If you look at a satellite photo of a tropical storm or hurricane, you can see a spiral shape outlined by clouds. Those arms of the spiral are rainbands. Sometimes one after another crosses a location; other times one will just sit on top and move along for days.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:24 AM   #328  
Girl Gone Strong

Back up to 149.8 this morning. That drop in weight was short-lived. So don't praise me, Andrea. What happened was that yesterday, I moved less and ate more, and some of it was salty.

I spent the morning driving, feeling almost aimless and profoundly disconnected. After a stint on the elliptical in the hotel gym, I went to an ATM, picked up a newspaper, hit a drugstore and a sporting goods store, saw "Indignation" and then visited Home Goods to get a candle whose scent would dispel some of the institutional maid service cleanliness smell here. Then I just laid around the hotel room and felt like not doing much.

I am depressed by having been displaced and frustrated that the apartment is unchanged, under a spell, and no one is doing anything while day after day, the smell in the kitchen gets worse. Those microbes or whatever they are can simply proliferate unchallenged till the insurance adjuster's report comes out and the superintendent, an epic procrastinator, engages some firm or another to rip it open and dry it out.

Today I'm going to get some desk work done in advance of the coming week's meetings. Labor Day for me means laboring.

Last edited by saef; 09-05-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:25 AM   #329  

Andrea Just curious -re your comment to saef how would anyone have more control over their neighbour's water spilling into their unit in a condo building?

Dagmar
Old 09-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #330  
Girl Gone Strong

Dagmar, I think that Andrea sees a condo as a free-standing unit, whereas here, in the NY area, that type of condo is uncommon because they don't maximize space. Here, outwardly, a condo looks just like a co-op and both look just like a rental building --- you cannot tell from the exterior of a big apartment building exactly what mode of ownership and bylaws it runs under, and of course, under all three, one is just likely to be affected by the neighbors.

The other difference is the price. A condo unit comparable to my co-op unit would cost anywhere from $100,000 to $250,000 more, and would be rather harder to find, because most pre-wars are co-ops rather than condos and I am enamored of pre-wars.

Maybe I need to rethink that because pre-wars have older infrastructure. Getting into a pre-war building is like buying a house built pre-1930 anywhere else in the U.S. -- you make tradeoffs in modernity in return for the craftsmanship and details.

I don't know if I will sell this place, but I'm closer to wanting to than I've ever been, even after the big flood. Mostly I'm just depressed and frustrated at the lack of action. I'd probably feel differently if work had commenced.

Last edited by saef; 09-05-2016 at 11:09 AM.