Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #331  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

saef thanks for the clarification. I would imagine with pre-war units you get much higher ceilings, bigger rooms, nicer trim, etc.? But also older plumbing, wiring, as you said.

Here in Toronto condo buildings are also much like apartment buildings. Maybe neurodoc is referring to what we call a townhouse here? They are separately owned and are joined together but side to side rather than stacked on top of one another.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:30 AM   #332  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Tuesday, after another day moping in the hotel room, unsurprisingly at 151.1. Despite my usual lifting session at the gym, I didn't move around much.

Back at work today. My therapist will get an earful -- I haven't seen him in months. He does that traditional month off in August thing, though he doesn't go to Wellfleet, he goes to Maine.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #333  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Dagmar and Saef, yes I am thinking about townhouses. Somehow, I assumed that because you lived in suburban Connecticut rather than NYC, that your apartment complex was (a) a rental unit and (b) a several-story but not high-rise structure of recent-ish vintage. Clearly my mental image was inaccurate.

I am back from a long weekend in Chicago. One overly caloric meal of pizza but otherwise healthful eating and lots of walking when I wasn't driving the 4+ hours in each direction from my home. I just want to say that I ordered the extra-thin crust ("New York style"). Wow, was that a terrible crust for an ex-new yorker to endure. Never again will I commit the sin of ordering pizza in Chicago.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #334  
Workin' It

Birchie - I was remembering the threads on the lifting forum just recently. They never suggested higher fat after lifting. I do find that I do better with protein right afterwards, I never thought about the fat component.

I'm having a tough time right now. DSS is having trouble at school again. The last time we had trouble of this level was in second grade, so four years ago. He's really struggling with middle school. I don't know what to do to help him and it is heartbreaking. It is making it hard for me to keep anything else on track.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:03 AM   #335  
Girl Gone Strong

Though I work in CT, Andrea, I don't live there. I have a reverse commute from NY into CT on those days when I go into the office.

I don't want to say exactly where I live, for purposes of anonymity on the Internet, but let's just say I am about two miles from the border with the Bronx. If I had to, I could hike to a subway station, though I'd be more likely to take a convenient bus that stops outside of my apartment complex. (In fact, this is what my neighbors do when the trains are running oddly.) I live in a pre-war apartment complex, built in 1929 by a good architect who died tragically young named Penrose Stout.

Weight back down to 148.7, not surprising, because I felt ravenous yesterday after walking around the office park where the extended-stay hotel is situated. I was looking for (and found) a post office. There weren't many sidewalks. People come to work to this complex in cars or city buses and depart the same way.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #336  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm sorry to hear, Shannon. That's awful. I hope things improve soon. Is he getting in trouble or just unhappy?

I had a small victory yesterday in the form of 4 mini cupcakes a parent volunteer gifted me. I debated eating them, of course. Then, through the course of the day, I re-gifted them to 4 different teachers who were more than happy to eat them. My reward? .2 down on the scale.... not a ton but I'll take it, considering I'm sure the scale would have been up the other way if I'd eaten any.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #337  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Shannon, has he just started at middle school? (I can't remember how old he is.) I wonder whether the same sort of things that helped him four years ago would help him now? Not exactly the same as he's much older now but in the same sort of area? And what do you think is at the root of it? Much sympathy.

Weights today and now I can't stop yawning. Early night for me, I think.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:38 AM   #338  

This dogsit is so easy compared to the last one. One elderly poodle who has become a sweetie over the years. She is on a fairly complicated food/drugs regimen but that's not difficult with a little planning and a tub of low-fat cream cheese.

Everything in the house works! I've also been here about 20 times so I can deal easily with the restrictions on me - bring my own pots and pans, no microwave, no oven.

My client works from home and she cooks every meal every day. Her ovens are so complicated she had to go and take weekend seminars to learn to use them. I am fine with a cooktop, and she has a gas one, which I still infinitely prefer to electric.

I don't microwave much at home so the only adjustment has been no BBQ chicken but turkey burgers instead. And my popcorn is pre-popped.

The poodle is not a dog who is all over me all the time. She will take a stuffed toy and go and quietly play with it on her bed.

I'm so much more relaxed here. This willbe a quite pleasant 10 days.

Dagmar
Old 09-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #339  
Girl Gone Strong

At 149.3 this morning. Salt and more fat than usual. I don't know, actually.

Tired by life this morning: The apartment, odoriferous and unchanged, while insurance adjusters take their time. My project, suddenly requiring long sprints of work creating PowerPoint slides. My manager, irritable, nothing going right. And a class starting on Saturday which will take up all my Saturdays. What was I thinking when I signed away all my Saturdays? It was in another life when I was home and took having my home for granted.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #340  

Is the class a necessity, Saef? Or for pleasure? Wondering if you can back out or if it would provide a needed distraction?

Your dog sit sounds lovely, Dagmar.

My dogs (and cats) hopefully won't mind new strangers entering the house today. My cleaners are "no longer with the company"-- whatever that means and I have a new crew coming today. I left a note about leaving Ellie in her crate, ignoring Dewey, and making sure the cats don't go outside. I'll be anxious till I get home this afternoon and make sure things are okay.

My weight is also up and I'm not sure why. I had been slowly going downwards, so I'm trying not to be grouchy and discouraged.

I am planning on meeting a friend this evening for a long walk (with Ellie). Looking forward to it as she was at my school, but all of our Special Ed classes (and staff) moved to the new school that just opened. She was at my school but I haven't seen her since we walked in the summer.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #341  
Workin' It

Birchie - he's 11, this is his first year in middle school.

The house he and his mom are in got rezoned a few years after she and DH moved in, and now he goes to a different middle school than the one we initially thought. Now, it is a much better school, so we like that. But, every single one of his friends are at the other school. He's so isolated, it has everyone worried. He's stressed and probably depressed, and acting out. He's being rude and disrespectful to teachers and other students, and they in turn are being less than nice to him.

I found out yesterday that a 14 year old boy from my hometown stepped in front of a train and committed suicide on Tuesday night. He was being bullied. It worries me. Though I don't know if he would be the bully or the bullied right now, I know he isn't happy.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 09-08-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:33 PM   #342  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Shannon No, he's clearly not happy and he's behaving how he always does when he's unhappy. That's normal. We all do it. He's only been at this new school for a few weeks, hasn't he? If it's a good school, has it tried to help him settle in? The school must have some kind of plan for this kind of thing with new students. Anyway, he got over it before and he'll get over it again. Did anything particular help before? But it must be pretty uncomfortable at the moment.

I've had a strange day, thrown off balance by only packing post exercise food for what turned out to be a longer time and an over lunch period at the office. Note: when I go to the office I must always take a full meal with me, however long I think I'm going to be there.

Weight is holding fast, a whisker above a 'significant' number. You have to laugh.

Early night again so I'll wave bye-bye and see you in the morning.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #343  

I have set a kinda weird but attainable goal for myself this past week and into the next.

I'm going to see Steven Tyler (Aerosmith's front man) on his solo tour next Tues. night. I have vowed to not overeat or drink any beer until then.

Should I miraculously hit my goal weight it will be a really celebratory occasion.

Since there is no scale at the dogsit I won't know if I'm at goal or not but that won't really matter. I will be feeling really successful and good and will enjoy the show so much more as a result of that.

Dagmar
Old 09-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #344  
Girl Gone Strong

Shannon, you've left me thinking about the way children display unhappiness: There's acting out, clashing with others, and there's withdrawing and quietly imploding. Having tended toward the latter (which would include going off to be alone with some desirable food), if I were you, I'd be so perplexed about how to understand and cope with the former. I wish you strength and the ability to get a plan in place, if tactics used previously are once again appropriate.

I'm at 150.3 this morning, which is disappointing. Yesterday felt like a fat-filled day, starting with bacon, almond butter and whole-fat yogurt.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #345  

Shannon-- is he still in therapy? I don't recall if it helped before, but it might be somewhere to start if he's willing.

I definitely acted out myself due to an unhappy childhood, and still feel the scars now.

I'm frustrated with my weight again as my downward slide earlier this week has been erased with a fast upward swing. I hate that I feel I should be rewarded on the scale when I'm good, but I do. I skipped the provided lunch at work yesterday, stayed well within my calories, and the scale was up over a pound today. The only thing I can figure is that I walked late with a friend (over 90 minutes!) so I ate dinner later than usual. Perhaps that made a difference. My rings are tight as well, so maybe I'm puffed up from walking late.

I'm going with a friend to dinner tonight. Not sure where we will go-- perhaps Thai. I'll try to choose wisely but I won't expect miracles on the scale tomorrow. I will go to the gym before dinner.... if I write it here, it will happen-- right??

Oh, yuck! I also dealt with ANOTHER rat in the yard yesterday! This one was dead when I saw it (in Ellie's mouth)-- so I don't know if she killed it (we think she killed the other). Then, I kept hearing (imaginary?) scritching in the walls of my house.... so.... I researched and am hoping to get rid of them. I decided not to use killer (for now--other than Ellie) as I don't want to poison my pets or any of the neighboring outside cats. I've ordered a repellent (makes a noise they don't like supposedly but we can't hear) and a spray that is supposed to repel and taste bad to spray on the plants where we found rat #1. I asked my next door neighbor if they'd found their missing cat last night-- they had-- so I asked if he'd seen rats-- he said nope... so either his cats aren't good mousers or they are hurting them and they go into my yard to die. I'm pretty sure this all stems from the neighbors on the other side of me that have their entire back yard filled with kudzu and refuse to tackle it. My dd researched getting rid of kudzu as it has infiltrated our yard and apparently the best recourse is goats!! Not sure my doggies would like goats in the yard (you can rent them to take care of the kudzu!)!!!