Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #316  

S/C/G: 180/180/154

Height: 5'5"

Geez, I know I am not going to remember who said what now....

PitaKitten....I too, would wait. I think that is where some of us "oldies" had our problems....because some of us went off the diet on the holidays...and it is taking quite awhile to get back to STRICT Phase I. I had only gained 2-1/2# in 3 weeks....so I thought..."woo hoo." So I didn't go back on strictly...ate some sugarfree candy, sugarfree ice cream...OK -- 3 weeks later, I gained 4#....So -- I think my downfall was going completely off IP in the first place...(and then thinking I could get away with small cheats).

I am not sure if the Lindora products are stopping me from getting into ketosis. I haven't been counting the carbs in anything....so I am going to start doing that. I also didn't compare "apples to apples" when I bought Lindora.....I am disappointed in their puddings, so I will continue to buy my puddings from IP. My doctor was very understanding when I told her I was getting financially strapped...and was supposed to come up with food alternatives for me this week instead of the packets....and also wanted me to bring in some Lindora products. The one thing she was concerned with...is that Lindora does have a lot more preservatives. She likes the idea that IP is so pure.

I feel I am very fortunate to have my regular doctor ALSO be my IP doctor...because then she knows my health issues, my mental issues, my financial issues. I am also able to buy packets, individually or even trade them if I do not like them. I DO believe that some clinics are in it for the money....I could be naive here, but I know my doc.....she probably doesn't need the money! (she has helped me haggle with insurance companies, and given me professional discounts when my insurance company wouldn't pay). She just TRULY believes in IP. Long before IP, she wanted me to make sure I ate a protein at every meal for the fibromalygia...she didn't start handling IP until last August.

Please don't set yourself up for disappointment if your scale shows a 3# loss...(a sack of potatoes, huh? I lost a bag of dog food!! -- Cool, when you think about it!) In the first month or so, you will lose more, but for all of us, it did slow down to approximately 3# a week. Maybe it won't happen to you...I would love it if it didn't because you are all so enthusiastic. BUT -- I would tell you to be happy with a 2# or 3# loss.....what diet have you ever been on where you lose that consistently? (Don't you remember them all clapping when you lost 1/4# a week -- I wanted to stand up and shout..."Do you have any idea what I gave up for this lousy 1/4#?" lol.) Most of us ended up averaging around 3# a week. We had a wonderful gal on here when I joined in August.....she was getting near her 100# loss. She just got married last week, and I am hoping she comes back on board with us...somewhere (Ogdog/Echobaby...do you remember?) she posted her before and after pictures. I am thinking somewhere around October or November. She was such a big help to us and such an inspiration. I can see that most of us on the alternate board are also posting here...so it isn't like we "left" you. We were getting discouraged and didn't want to damper anyone's enthusiasm. But we are all back on board again....(Pitakitten...that is why I suggest you wait for starting your diet -- it is HARD to get back on once you go off.) I waited until all my company was gone for the summer..and my life slowed down a little when I started (the day after Labor Day). I didn't want anything to deter me from my IP! Of course, right off the bat, I had to deal with eating out in restaurants (altho, believe me, I turned down a LOT of invitations...because I was so nervous!).

FLMike: We have a guy that comes to our drs clinic...and I saw him last week...couldn't believe it was him. He lost over 40#!! You are doing great!!

We have one guy on here who is making a documentary of his weight loss on IP. I can't remember his link.....but his name is JoshB....look for his posts and see if you can find his blog link. I think he came on around November....

Yup, Mystical Mama....my dog had never done that before....altho I always DO push food back (especially meat) when I am not in the kitchen so I don't tempt her....who thought she liked egg whites? Mmmmm...now a birthday cake? THAT I can understand. Well, we love our dogs....just can't figure out what to eat the yolk mixture that I made up for the egg whites on. It would probably taste great on crackers.....(mmmmm...no).

My NSV for Superbowl was not eating those sugarfree ice cream bars in my freezer when the Saints were down in the first quarter. I get so involved in sports! My dog gets very nervous when I watch sports -- especially when I get to see my beloved Cavaliers play (which isn't often since I live in Michigan). I am always yelling, "What??" "What the &$#@ was that?" and "Get it, you dummy." I have to pet her at the same time so she knows I am not yelling at her!!
Old 02-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #317  

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittlescda View Post
Does anyone here have the same problem that I have, that they can only purchase the IP packs by the box at their clinic? I have to drive over an hour away to be able to select individually, but I still pay the same price for seven packages. I'm worried that when I go in for my weigh-ins they are going to be bothered by the fact that I'm not buying product from them. I buy the occassional box but normally I'll drive to the other clinic and get the bulk of what I need to get me threw a two week period (until next pay day).

Do you think they will refuse to do my weigh-ins if I'm not purchasing the IP packs from them?

Trish
I buy 2 weeks at at time and I have to buy it by the box. I buy 7 boxes so that I have variety and extra. Eventually on a tight week I will be able to get by with less because I have extra's. I am also limited in what I can buy on Phase 1 (no restricted items, no bars...so that means shakes, soups, puddings, jelly and drinks). I have found I like to have the pudding or jelly for snack. A shake or drink for breakfast and its a toss up for lunch. This is usually where I get my variety.

My clinic doesn't charge any other fee other than the cost of the food and this is how they profit and how they can provide their services. I did contact another coach about buying food from her because she charges less and she refused. And she is family (distant, but still family). Same reasons: if I buy the products from one place, get the coaching that is needed and we all benefit.

In short, I wonder why you feel you need to buy it by the individual pack? I know many people here have the individual pack option and it is important to them....since I don't have it...I make the "by the box" option work. Driving 1 hour each way seems a long way to go to buy food and then weigh in with another clinic? Why not just weigh in every 2 weeks at the same place you buy food? Or just buy it by the box and weigh in at the same place?

I don't really know the answer to your question, but if I were your coach and knew you were not buying enough food for the week, I would question you about it. It is a business for them. Just food for thought.
Good luck.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #318  
Started IP 1/8/10

S/C/G: 192.5/166/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubabody View Post
Going for my first visit on Wednesday. Really excited to start seeing some of the same great results all of you have been talking about. I even talked my roommate into joining me so there will be added support. I keep hearing everyone talking about the IP foods, but have you all been working out also to loose some pretty amazing number and inches?
Believe it or not, the pounds and inches lost are without exercising (my favorite part about this diet)! Although I've always been a fairly active person, especially at work, I have some chronic illnesses that have left me SO GRATEFUL for this diet and that exercise is not a main component to weight loss. Unless you were working out pre-diet, your consultant will probably advise you not to work out for a while at the beginning. We're eating so few calories and our bodies are adjusting, making it difficult to have the energy to do so. My boyfriend and I are almost in our sixth week on the diet, and we're probably going to start moderate exercise and toning soon; we're talking with our consultant about it at weigh-in this week. It's a good question to ask at your consultation. Good luck!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #319  
IP Start Date 11/18/2009

S/C/G: 191/145/140

Height: 5'9"

IP Coaches...

For whatever it's worth I think the insight and direction we receive from our certified nutritionist/doctors is so valuable. The weight loss is so incredible if the plan is followed, but it needs to be monitored. It's such a delicate balance with what we give up - what the packets and vitamins contain. The unbalanced diet shocks our system to shed the extra pounds.

I had ideas on ordering from the other sites - but after the insight I received from each of your posts I don't want to jeopardize what Ive lost thus far. Yes, it's an expense...but the results and confidence I hope to gain will far outweigh the $'s spent.

Last edited by wagnomore; 02-08-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 02-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #320  
Started IP 1/8/10

S/C/G: 192.5/166/130

Okay, so I have a question for experienced IPers who have cheated on the diet in the past. I know it's a weird topic, especially in light of all of our non-scale victories and talk of dedication to the diet, but I'm so curious.

So, as I'm sure you've all read by now, we're going to Las Vegas next week over our February break. We've planned a cheat day for my boyfriend's 30th birthday. We were originally going to follow plan except for dinner, but the more I think about, I'd really like to just take the day and eat some foods I've been missing. We will both go back on plan, strictly, the next day, and I know 100% that we can and will get right back on track (we're looking at it as our "last meal" again, like we did right before starting IP).

I guess the question is, will the weight gain/effect on my weight loss be that much more drastic if we cheat the whole day instead of one meal? Our consultant said we're far enough along in the healing process that we're not going to have a huge setback with a cheat, so I feel comfortable doing so. But if the difference between cheating the whole day and one meal is very drastic in the weight loss process, we might rethink. Any thoughts? (P.S. we're definitely doing at least a cheat meal, so if the advice is to not cheat at all, we appreciate your care and encouragement, but we're probably not going to listen)
Old 02-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #321  
IP Start Date 11/18/2009

S/C/G: 191/145/140

Height: 5'9"

Default Carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel13 View Post
I've realized that my two favorite IP products are the Bars and the Pre-Made Choc. Drinks. The bars have 14 carbs though! AHH! The drinks only have 4.. so am I allowed to have 2 drinks a day and maybe only 1 bar a week to cut down on all those carbs? Thanks for your feedback!
Alot of the coaches suggest for at least the first month try to avoid the higher carb items...my personal opinion is that when you avoid the higher carbs - your body has to survive without them - thus less cravings so you don't slip up and eat something totally forbidden. I didn't do this at the beginning - until reading this forum - now save the bars for those days I am totally flat or have done too much physically.

Good Luck!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #322  
Start Date Oct 26/09

S/C/G: 199/148.6/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilk View Post
Okay, so I have a question for experienced IPers who have cheated on the diet in the past. I know it's a weird topic, especially in light of all of our non-scale victories and talk of dedication to the diet, but I'm so curious.

So, as I'm sure you've all read by now, we're going to Las Vegas next week over our February break. We've planned a cheat day for my boyfriend's 30th birthday. We were originally going to follow plan except for dinner, but the more I think about, I'd really like to just take the day and eat some foods I've been missing. We will both go back on plan, strictly, the next day, and I know 100% that we can and will get right back on track (we're looking at it as our "last meal" again, like we did right before starting IP).

I guess the question is, will the weight gain/effect on my weight loss be that much more drastic if we cheat the whole day instead of one meal? Our consultant said we're far enough along in the healing process that we're not going to have a huge setback with a cheat, so I feel comfortable doing so. But if the difference between cheating the whole day and one meal is very drastic in the weight loss process, we might rethink. Any thoughts? (P.S. we're definitely doing at least a cheat meal, so if the advice is to not cheat at all, we appreciate your care and encouragement, but we're probably not going to listen)
here's my vote - number one - don't call it a cheat. It's a choice - cheat is such a nasty word. I'm of the belief that you're o.k. for the one day rather than having little "treats" spread out over a number of days. If you read Dr. Tran's book (it's available for download from his site) he says that if you go overboard and have a blowout one day, the next day severly restrict your carbs - this way, your body does not have time to lay down the calories in fat - he words it better but that's the reader's digest version. so eat what you want - enjoy - but get right back on track the next day - don't keep eating whatever you want.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #323  
fluffymama

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
Hello all. I've been following the IP threads for a little while and just wanted to do a quick post. I'm not female so am probably out of place here.....

Just a little background:
I started IP last week. This is my first diet ever. I'm mid 30s and 250 pounds. I've been as heavy as 272 and as light asa 215 in my adult life....mostly controlled via exercise. Last 4-5 years I've noticed that I just can't lose weight even with 8-9hours/week of exercise so I decided to try a "diet" (always a four letter word to me).

Anyways I lost 2.5 pounds the first week. I was pretty happy with that...in my mind I thought anything over 1.5 would be good.

I find that I want to snack but am not really hungry.

Anyways that is all. Just wanted to share week 1 with someone

RJC
welcome to the 3fc board! We are all on the same journey!!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #324  

Hiya all - weighed in tonight and I'm down another 4.5 lbs!! Hooray!!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #325  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchlaker View Post
Wow....I am so impressed with everyone's NSV's....I was home alone watching the game.....I ate a lot of protein...chicken wings, meatballs and stuffed mushrooms...I was going to have deviled eggs BUT while I was talking to my son on the phone, my dog got up on the counter and ate all my egg white shells. She has NEVER done that.....so now what do I put the yolk mixture on? Am so glad the Saints won....thought it was a great game, and I think New Orleans AND the state of Louisiana needed that.
That brought a cute image to my mind! LOL I bet the filling would be good on celery ribs.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #326  

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanycats View Post
Showgirlaz - A long while back you posted something about being sub-hypothyroid or something close to that. Can you share more? I Have hashimoto's so this diet went against some of the recommendations I had read, but I lost 20 lbs so easily (initially) that I figured it was o.k. to do. I know you mentioned something in relation to the types of vegies, etc. Can you elaborate?
Thanks,
Lisa
Hey Lisa!

I was just beginning to show hypothyroidism before starting this program. I have had a low functioning thyroid for years. Honestly, no one was able to help me, thru my coach, to know what to do or expect in this state. I have had a few conversations with others and learned that they have not had any issues with the diet and hypothyroidism. In general if the person was medicated using synthyroid or armour or other natural thyroid they lost about 2 pounds per week average. What I did learn were the following: KEEP IN MIND>>>> I AM NOT A DR. I am suggesting/sharing what I know and not advising what you may do. I also can not truly make claims that food heals or does anything according to the FDA however, I will share what I have learned from other person's testimony.

Take your calcium at least 4 hours apart from your thyroid meds. Calcium can interfer in the uptake and use of the thyroid meds. Keeping them spaced apart allows you the best benefit of both med and supplement.

Get your omega 3 as much as you can. It is essential for healthy thyroid function. You can use flax seed or fish oil.

COCONUT OIL is a great friend to those with thyrod issues. The biggest benefit is to regulate and normalize thyroid. It is said it can help boost metabolism and improve in skin quality. It cooks well too!

FOOD TO EAT:
Fish, flax seed, high fiber, high protein, leafy greens, oysters, shrimp,nonflouridated and non chlorinated water

FOOD TO AVOID:

root vegetables, starchy veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, carot, cabbage, caffeine, kale, mustard green, radish, rutabaga, spinach, turnip, soy, sweet potato, dairy, sugars (IN phase 4 you would want to use whole grains.)

Of course this diet is removing much of our caffeine, almost all sugars and starchy processed foods. Interestingly, what is found is the things that are most likely to suppress the pancreas and affect its function are highly likely to suppress the thyroid. The cruciferous veggies (cabbages, brocc, caul, etc) have a chemistry that causes the thryoid to slow down. I really don't know much more than that. I hope it does help in some way. I can answer more if you have something specific.

Carla
Old 02-09-2010, 12:59 AM   #327  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystical Mamma View Post
Ahhhhhh - getting a tad frustrated here!
The scale (which has been stuck on one number for the past week) actually states that I gained a lb! What the heck is up with that????? I am getting in my salt and oil, not eating any restricted items, am eating all my veggies and lettuce, drinking all my water and have not had a single cheat - ever! How can I possibly GAIN a pound????
Hey there! I hope things have improved since you wrote this. Please be strong and keep on the program without cheating. I JUST HAD 2 weeks like that. Last week was no change in weight and had it been at another day or time my weigh in would have showed a gain.

I fought through and had a huge loss this week. Not sure how far into the program you are, I am on week 13, but it might be some part of the healing cycle. FOR ME, I found it good to increase my salt and fat a little, eat more fiber veggies, drop the broccoli and cauliflower out, and go with only the lowest carb IP foods. I also made sure my bowels were operating well. In the end, I lost 8.8 pounds!

HANG IN THERE! Don't stress too much about the 1 pound up and maybe next week will be great!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:04 AM   #328  

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanycats View Post
Yes, ironically I just read all that on another web site after I posted. I've been hypo for years too and thought I had read it all.....today finding out about strawberries and other fruit was an eye opener though. But that is also why I was worried about IP. Most books/sites say to stay away from soy products....which there are a lot of in the IP line-up. So I am hoping that someone's coach can shed some light on what Dr. Chanh says about it...or whether it should be modified in some way.
You can also check the box ingredient info or online product info to find what has soy and how much. I use the eggs alot for protein and the whey based items. According to DR Chanh individual sensitivity is one of the reasons for the use of many types of protein - we can choose what works for us, have variety, and/or get the best mix.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:20 AM   #329  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
Hiya all - weighed in tonight and I'm down another 4.5 lbs!! Hooray!!
YEA!! Great job! 4.5 steps closer to your birthday goal!

See my weigh in post below!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:30 AM   #330  

HI Everyone!! Just poppin' my lil ol' head in for a quick update and share! I know I can't remember all I read but congratulations to all on their losses and NSV success this weekend. I will try to respond individually tomorrow.

TO all Newcomers, WELCOME!!! We are so happy to see you here!

WELL.............. I had my weigh in today. After the last 2 horrible weeks I wasn't very hopeful. I had avoided the scale for the most part too and had no clue what to expect. *DRUMROLL*

I LOST 8.8 POUNDS!!! :O HOW did that happen! That was my week 12!

I ALSO LOST the following inches:
chest -1.0"
waist -1.5"
lower abs/tummy -1.0"
hips - 1.25"
upper arms - .5"
thighs - .5"
calves - .5"

That is 6.25" lost in 1 week! I am now at 187. It is the lowest I have been since late 1997. I hope to be at 180 by the end of the month! I was so excited all day after those results!

Overall, in 12 weeks, I have lost 47 pounds and 49.5 total inches. I am down 10.6 percent body fat! If I include the meager weight loss from before I started the program, I have lost 56 pound total! I have 37 pounds left to lose for my goal and 50 to lose to get to my ideal weight.

For superbowl, I did ok. I made : homemade boneless "hot wings", deviled eggs, pickles, veggie tray, shrimp, salad, and a chicken chili. We had homemade sun tea to drink. It was a success but, since it was my house and my cooking, I don't feel I accomplished as much as those of you who showed real preparation and will power going to someone else's superbowl party!

Well, going to run. It is late and I am a bit tired. I will check in again tomorrow! Carla

Last edited by showgirlaz; 02-09-2010 at 01:37 AM.
Closed Thread