Old 07-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #196  
Little One

S/C/G: 208/208/165

Height: 5'4'

L1D2 Wow. Just as sore as yesterday. Maybe more. But it sure does feel good.
SweetCurves32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #197  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvied View Post
Personally, my best motivation for getting up to work out in the mornings is the reminder that the sluggishness in my brain means that I'll be mostly done the workout before I'm mentally awake enough to register how hard it is
LOL - Unfortunately, by the time I'm done letting dogs in and out, etc., I'm more or less awake. But I did it this morning - back on TX time. Just finished L1D12 or so - I've lost count, esp due to a few missed days here and there. I can handle everything without struggling much now except those confounded lateral raises - my arms just DON'T work that way! Well, I'm still doing girlie pushups, but I'm a girl, so that's OK!

I think I'll start L2 on Friday. Just in time to collapse for the weekend!
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #198  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Sweetcurves - So glad to hear that you like the burn! I love it too and I can tell you that I still feel it every day, which is one of the many reasons I am totally loving this workout!

L2 isn't as bad as it sounds... well ok, maybe the first day was.
I did L2D7 last night and I really didn't want to. I also hopped on my elliptical when I didn't want to, so I rewarded myself with a popsicle for dessert! I got these popsicles with no sugar added. They are only 20 cals, like 1g of fat. I ate my first one last night and it was sooo good! mango-pineapple. I wasn't able to finish it though, so I guess I only had like 10cals, 1/2 g of fat, haha.

I am so happy to see all of you here so much! It really helps me to be motivated to want to put the video in when I get home every day. So, thanks everyone for being here! Hope you have a great workout today!
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #199  
Coffee Addict Hippy

S/C/G: (Restarted) 235.5/192.5/130

Height: 5'6"

Okay, so I haven't fallen off the wagon yet! I've been continuing to repeat L1 until not only am I able to do it all the way through without breaks, but I'm hoping the foot pain will either level out to something bearable or fade. On a good note, I got my mother and sister sniping my dvd as well! They're human skeletons to begin with, but wanted to challenge themselves to a new workout. Yay for me, I actually had better stamina and strength than they did!
Finally, also, I've managed to fall off my plateau of not being able to lose more than 2-7 pounds and jumping back up to the original number overnight. After talking to my father, as much as he tries to do the "I don't treat family" thing, he suggested the issues have been thyroid related. So, I had a blood test at my last depo shot, and surprise! He was right. So, I'm on the supplement track as I'm stubbornly refusing to be reliant on a medication. What a difference it's made! I actually wake up WANTING to do the shred and am bouncing off the walls practically until I do! Finally, I'm actually not feeling so much in pain the next day as well. It's been a really motivating change in things! Now if I can just keep with it and get on an actual schedule of eating and not forgetting until I'm shaking and about to pass out, it'll be a great summer! (and I don't mind all this rain one bit, because it means I have more time to prepare for a swimsuit beach day!)
Featherfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #200  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Hey everyone... I'm kinda sorta starting the 30DS so I went back and read through some of the posts here for inspiration.

I found levels 1 and 2 on my exercise TV on demand channel, and tried level 1 one day last week... I've been working out a lot for a while, and gotten somewhat fit, and level 1 was a decent workout for me but not as hard as I expected from reading about it.

Well, last night I tried level 2... OMG. It kicked. my. butt. My husband was even impressed, and usually he hates all fitness instructors because they don't do things exactly like him (he took classes on fitness and has a little personal training experience).

So I'm jumping in at level 2 (day 2 today!), and I think I'll need to actually buy the DVD because they don't have level 3 available on demand. I think it will be worth it, though!

Last edited by mayness; 07-08-2009 at 06:52 PM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #201  
Little One

S/C/G: 208/208/165

Height: 5'4'

L1D3 - I didn't think I would make it through today. For some reason today was harder than the first or second day. But I pushed through (with a break or two during the side lunges ) I am feeling really good about making it through.

stargzr - I am feeling the burn, no doubt about it. And I think I am going to be feeling it for a long time. But that is ok with me!
SweetCurves32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #202  

featherfire - I am so glad to hear that you're sticking with it! I can tell you for sure that you will be happy you did! I am definitely behind your idea to stick with level 1 until your foot gets used to it. I had a bit of a problem with my shins after a few days (I get shin splints really easily), but with icing them and continuing to work out they've gotten much better!

mayness - That is so great you've taken into account your current workout level. For things like these it's much nicer to just skip ahead to the next level when you feel you're ready. I, personally, used to go to the gym daily (though not working hard enough) but had to stop due to a back injury. So when I started back up I thought this dvd would be good. I guarantee you won't regret the purchase!

sweetcurves - I am so proud! That is awesome that you're sticking with it! It's wonderful to see you on here often.

I did L2D8 today and am a little scared for level 3 (just like I was for level 2)< From what other people said, level 3 is supposed to be a bit easier than level 2. I am hoping there is less of the plank pose workouts, although I am going to start just being in plank pose to get used to it and to help myself be able to do the squat thrusts completely.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:16 AM   #203  
Shrinking chickie

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Still on level 2 but I do feel myself getting stronger. Today I actually flexed my biceps in front of the mirror and there was *gasp!* definition!!
One step closer to having Michelle Obama arms!

stargazr and SylvieD, thank you! I will keep those in mind next time my phone alarm rings and says "30DS!!!"
Jelder227 you're not alone! That's part of the reason I can't get myself to do the shred! It's hard to wake up!!
Tomorrow and friday I have my afternoons off so I'm planning on working out then. I find it easier than the early morning cause I have more energy. In the morning I work out before breakfast so I feel pretty weak. And working out at night isn't ideal for me either...
But we gotta do what we gotta do!!
kk140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #204  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

OK - it's official. I'm old and a wuss. I got up, and since the DVD wanted to start on level 2, I just hit play for that. Might as well start - I've done 14 days or so of L1, and I'm doing pretty well on that.

All those plank position, hopping your legs around? I would land on my face! I am NOT that coordinated. So I'm doing the "sissy" version. And the aerobics section with the twists and the sliders? Not there yet either. Could do them, but not the full sets. Oh - and that last abs exercise? Don't remember what it was, 'cause I was with my 5-year-old on the "you've gotta be kidding me" attitude by then. But I didn't quit, I did do some crunches.

I'm going to stick with it. But I have noticed - she says she has people who weigh 400 pounds who can do whatever. But she doesn't say anything about 40-year-olds!

That's my vent for the day. Thank you for listening.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #205  

jelder - I love it! You are too funny. I too was a bit taken aback by some of the moves in level 2 and the amount of plank pose workouts. I have to admit I was not excited about them. I've noticed that the more I push myself to just hold the plank pose, it becomes easier to move my feet/legs.

I do work out after I get home from work... The morning, I just don't want to. After my hubby gets home, I just don't want to. So since he gets off an hour after I do, I hurry home, pop in the tape, and do it. Then go on out to the garage and hop on the elliptical. I usually finish a few minutes before he comes in the door. It's eliminated the time I have to make dinner before he gets home, but hey I have to trade off something to get fit!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #206  
Coffee Addict Hippy

S/C/G: (Restarted) 235.5/192.5/130

Okay, so I definitely overdid it yesterday with my energy boost! I'm seriously hurting today, but it's a good pain! After the shred, I felt that I still had plenty of energy to burn, so I did some weight training on the nordic flex. I wanted to do tae-bo before bed because I was still bouncing around once the initial shakiness in my muscles subsided about an hour after my workout and dinner, but I'm glad I held off. It was one of those nights where sleeping was a challenge because I actually was awakened by the pain in the night! It wasn't terrible, but it still woke me up. So, I'm not letting myself off the hook today as I'm still feeling energized and motivated, but I think I'm laying off the weights until tomorrow and will try and do tae-bo first, and see how I feel later on and do the shred then. Basing on how my body feels, I'd be too tired if I did the shred first!
Yay for iodine/kelp supplements, I'm feeling like a 5 year old/teenager again with this energy coming back!
Featherfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #207  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Hey, ladies! I posted this question in another forum:

Quote:
I've heard a lot of people talk about the 30 Day Shred program. I googled it, but wanted some personal opinions.

I'm debating if I should try it now or if I should wait until I've lost a little bit more weight. For my current activity I do lots of walking and play around with my aerobic step and my hand weights. I am not super coordinated (hence the reason I can only "play around" with my step -- I lack the skill to actually DO step aerobics).

Can someone describe it? Do you like it? Do you think it would be appropriate for me at my current level of fitness? In the past I have been very active and have even run a marathon, but that was 8 years and 80 pounds ago... I'm 29 now.
and I was directed here. I think I've definitely decided to get the DVD but I wanted to ask a few more questions about it. I hope you don't mind!

So there are three levels, right? And you're supposed to do each level for 10 days? Is there a problem if you're not feeling ready to step up a level? Can you just stay on level 1 for longer?

And what do you do once you've finished a 30 day cycle? Do you guys restart from level one again? Do you do something else for a month and then come back to the 30DS? When you come back, do you go through all the levels again or just start with level 2 or 3?

So many questions for s stupid DVD, huh?

Thanks in advance for any insight you have. I'm mostly worried about my coordination. I once tried to do a step aerobics class at the university gym and half way through I ended up on the step of the person next to me. And I had NO idea how I even got there!
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #208  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

Yes, theory, you are supposed to do each Level for 10 days, then move on. However, I'm just starting Level 2 (see above post), but stayed on Level 1 about 14 days, until I was comfortable with it - doing most of it without a real challenge. Based on that, I'd guess I'll be in Level 2 about 20 days? Maybe not . .. .

My plan is to go all the way through with three pound weights, then again with five pound weights.

Coordination won't be as much of a problem with this as a lot of the aerobics. And in you're in your living room, so you don't have to be embarrassed. Also, a lot of coordination is balance, which is strength related - you might see some of that improve!

Good luck - I grumble some, but I'm really impressed with the results on this. I'm seeing a very definite improvement in my strength and endurance after just 2 weeks.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #209  
Shrinking chickie

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

jelder, I'm 20 and felt the same way the first time I did level 2!! So trust me it's not an age thing. Keep is up and you'll see it'll get better. I'm still doing "sissy" versions and can't get through the whole workout without taking breaks but I'm a whole lot better than when I started!!
Rebound,as jelder said, you don't have to change levels until you're ready. What's great is that there are 2 girls working out with Jillian and one does advanced moves and the other does modified moves. When you feel like level 1 isn't challenging you anymore you can move on to 2. As for what to do after 30 days, you can either redo it with heavier weights like jelder said or try redoing it with the "advanced" moves. After the 30 days you can also use it for example on level 3 as a workout on its own for a day where you only have 30 minutes to spare.
I find it takes less coordination than other videos i've tried because the strength part basically combines moves you would do at the gym, just in front of the tv instead. Even the cardio moves are relatively simple (jumping jacks, skipping rope).

Hope it helps! You'll feel so good when you finish a workout though. This video has changed my summer so far
kk140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #210  
A Turtle loser

S/C/G: 254/239/200

All I could think about, when she says she even has 400 lb people doing JJ's, I hear somebodys knee going out.or I say to myself uh who is going to tack my bladder back up, (I worry about a fallen bladder) so I do this drill exercise during the jumping jack part.
Michelle1210 is offline   Reply With Quote