Old 06-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #151  

S/C/G: 230/230/145

Height: 5'2"

I am new to this site and to the 30 day shred. I tried to do it and I was tired and sweating by the time the warmup was over. I did not make it half way through. I am so out of shape. I need some help and motivation. Gaining this weight was not painful at all but it hurt so much to lose it.
ladybeware27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:19 AM   #152  
Slowly getting there

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Lady: I've found that as long as I can make it through the first circuit, I'm usually good for the rest of it. I find the jumping jacks and jump rope to be the most challenging part of level 1. Don't be afraid to take breaks if you have to. It's better to take breaks and finish than to feel like you can't do it. Your body will adjust! Just keep pushing it to.

I did L2 D3 this morning and was able to go with only pausing once during the first aerobic circuit! I took a few seconds in a few other parts, but not long enough that I needed to pause.

Last time I tried to do 30DS about 2 months ago I was literally having to fight with my body that I 'could' do it. I'm not sure what has changed since that time. Maybe it's that I finally have enough motivation to put everything else behind me. My goal is by D5 to be able to go with no pauses.
Talina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #153  
Slowly getting there

I just did L1 D5. I'm still having to take pauses during the workout, but I'm really proud of myself for keeping up with doing it everyday. I've tried to make excuses with myself, but every time I manage to go ahead and get through the workout. I've been using 3lb instead of 2lb weights for the last two days. The only time I start struggling with them is when I get near the end of the side lunges.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #154  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybeware27 View Post
I am new to this site and to the 30 day shred. I tried to do it and I was tired and sweating by the time the warmup was over. I did not make it half way through. I am so out of shape. I need some help and motivation. Gaining this weight was not painful at all but it hurt so much to lose it.
Don't feel bad. I seriously wonder if I would've been able to do the shred (I'n on Level 1, today would be my third day, but not consecutively) if I hadn't worked up to it. That includes two months and a half months of walking, several weeks of stair climbing and weights.

I still can't do the shred without stopping. Hang in. I think if you're not physically fit at all (which I was not) jumping right into the shred is like plowing into the deep end.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #155  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I've been really pushing myself, especially with the video. It's much easier for me to do 20mins on the elliptical than that video! I still think it's because my arms are trying to catch up to my legs (muscle-wise). I feel like I've got crazy-strong legs and my poor arms have been neglected. I'm thinking by the time I'm done with this 30-day shred that my arms will be so much stronger than they are now. I'm on L1 D6 today when I get home and I am still excited to go home and do it!

How is everyone else doing/feeling?
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #156  
Slowly getting there

It's good to see that others are currently pushing through the shred.

Star, I hear your pain with not having very strong arms. Just imagine how much stronger they'll be in a month! How heavy are the weights that you're using?

I'm having to do girly push ups, but hopefully by the end my arms will be strong enough that I can get through both sets doing real push ups.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #157  
Shrinking chickie

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Just finished L2D4 and I paused quite a bit, especially towards the end. The third muscle circuit kills me! And I'm not a fan of all the plank stuff but trying to push through. Some days I just really don't feel like it though
kk140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #158  

Star - I think most women are in the same boat of having stronger legs than arms. But the 30 DS is one way to change that for sure!!!

So I've been shredding for a week now, though not every day - I did Level 1 four times last week and last night when I did it could definitely feel that I was stronger. Not like I'm like Natalie (girl on the left), totally rocking it out and doing everything to the total extreme, but hey, at least I could sit down on the loo afterwards without feeling major soreness in my legs. So today I tried level two. Wow, the plank stuff is for real!!! I feel like the biggest difference is that the ab stuff is tougher - in level 1 abs sort of feels like a break compared to strength/cardio, but not in L2. Monday is my weigh in day so we'll see how a week of shredding impacts the number on the scale. I'm glad I lost 20 pounds and increased my fitness through walking, weightlifting and working out BEFORE I started the shred, or else I think this would be way tougher. Definitely not for the faint of heart! Keep up the great work everybody! Have a fabulous weekend!
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #159  

Lady – It will get easier. I would suggest that maybe stick with level 1 until you can do it all the way through (no matter how many days that may take). When you do it, just take as many breaks as you feel you need. There’s no shame in taking 20 5-sec breaks,

Talina – My weights are 5lbs. They are the only girly ones we have at home and I really thought I could do it, haha.

I will be on L1D9 today when I get home. From all the talk about how horrible level 2 is, I am not too excited to start that one. I honestly figured that I would be able to get at least 60days of work out from this dvd, so I’m doing some of the modified versions (ie: girly push ups still) and I don’t feel bad about it. I took a break from the elliptical yesterday because my knee was bothering me a little, so I don’t feel too horrible because I wanted to give my knee a rest.

Has everyone been doing this every day? Or are you skipping days in between?
Old 06-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #160  
Slowly getting there

I'll be doing L1D6 tonight.
I was doing it everyday, but this weekend was quite crazy for me. I decided to give myself a break, just to be sure that I started back up today.

Star - If you keep using those 5lbers you'll be doing regular push ups in no time!

My hope with the video is after my 30 days to alternate between the work outs about 3 times a week. By then I should have enough strength to really push myself harder.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #161  
A Turtle loser

S/C/G: 254/239/200

Stargazer: I didn't do it everyday until now when I first started I could barely move for 3 days...so it was 2 x 1st week then 3x 2nd week then 4 x 3rd week now I can do it everyday, w/ 2 days off a week. It was and is empowering to see how much strength I have gained in such a short time.

Just finished L1D13 and I felt so serene, my husband did it with me he is on d2, kind of gave me a bit of competition *Wink*

doing 10 lbs chest flys and arm rows, 5lbs shoulder lifts and 5 lbs squat and shoulder lifts.

still doing girly pushups , almost to 1/2 way point
Michelle1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #162  

Talina - That sounds like a great plan, the three days a week once you've done the first set of 30 days! I love getting more out of a video than was originally meant! Yay for saving money, hehe.

Michelle - You are fabulous for keeping with it and upping it every week! Way to go! I'm sure you're probably seeing some inches lost as well as more strength!

Boy do I wish I could do regular push-ups... or as I call them, manly ones.. haha. My husband can do them with almost no effort and I think that's why I really want to be able to do them, to say that I can too. I felt like yesterday was a little easier than the other days, but I am still having a bit of issue with the anterior raises coupled with side lunges. I have tight hamstrings, so it pulls mostly on those when I do the side lunges, but my arms just hate those anterior raises for some reason!

Last edited by stargzr; 06-29-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #163  
Slowly getting there

Star - I too want to be able to 'manly' push ups. I came across this program in another form that is similar to the idea of c25k, but for doing 100 push ups. I want to start it after my 30 days because you really need a rest day in between.
One Hundred Push ups
Old 06-29-2009, 11:08 PM   #164  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgegirl View Post
Not like I'm like Natalie (girl on the left), totally rocking it out and doing everything to the total extreme. . .
Anyone else ever notice that Natalie is totally slacking at one point when she thinks the camera is off her? Watch L1, Circuit 2, Strength part on the lunges, first rotation. When Jillian walks over to the other girl to demonstrate the easier version, Natalie's just doing the arms. Those legs ain't movin'! Made me feel better.

L1D7, with one day off. And that first Cardio rotation is still rough! I was trying to move up to 5 lb weights, but decided I'm just not ready yet. I'll go through it all w/ 3 lb, then try a 2nd month with 5 lb? Maybe . . .
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #165  
A Turtle loser

S/C/G: 254/239/200

Hi Star, yes I saw a tremendous pull in of inches its what kept me going when the scale wouldn't give me my reward.I also have lots of memory muscle, I served in the military for 10 years from 82-92, then for about 5 years I had trained in weight lifting, life happened a lot of tough times, excessive weight gain, then my OMG! moment its been about 10 years since I picked up any weights and I cant believe its been that long because I absolutly love it.
Michelle1210 is offline   Reply With Quote