Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:22 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 229/T/170

Height: 5'7

Hey Meowee: I test no less than 2 and as many as 5 or 6 depending on whats going on in my system. I'm a type II diabetty.

P.S. I love the question for the day thing
Old 06-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #122  
Happy New Rears!

My numbers are 12, 13, ++ an hour after eating, even with the metformin
Old 06-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #123  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Mention that to your DEC . . . It is the difference that is the most important. What is the comparison immediately before the meal? If you are increasing by more than 4.0 (70-75) . . . at least, based on Bev's description and advice, you may need to eat smaller meals, more often, perhaps.

But . . . personally, I don't think those numbers are all that bad (but that's just my layman's opinion, of course). I've had some meals that have sent me up into the horrible realm of 15 to 17 (270 to 306) . . . not that I recommend it; just to point out how easily it can happen. Just do the best you can as much as you can.

Last edited by meowee; 06-11-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #124  

Hi all.. i test in the morning and befor bed.. i can usually tell how im doing by how i feel.. if im weak and shaky,cranky and out of sorts ill test extra as those are signs of low's for me.. i dont believe my sl has ever been over 236 and that was when i was diaognosed..however a yr or so back the sl's where 180 or so and no lower and the dr readjusted my meds..my dh tells me i need to eat something when im cranky with him but i know its him and not the sl ttfn rosey
Old 06-11-2007, 06:49 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 229/T/170

Height: 5'7

Thats so funny Rosey If im upset because of something my aunts have said they usually tell me to go eat because my sugar is acting up lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
Hi all.. i test in the morning and befor bed.. i can usually tell how im doing by how i feel.. if im weak and shaky,cranky and out of sorts ill test extra as those are signs of low's for me.. i dont believe my sl has ever been over 236 and that was when i was diaognosed..however a yr or so back the sl's where 180 or so and no lower and the dr readjusted my meds..my dh tells me i need to eat something when im cranky with him but i know its him and not the sl ttfn rosey
Old 06-11-2007, 08:17 PM   #126  
Onward and Downward

Okay . . . I guess I'm just curious by nature . . . thought I'd test out Bev's (at my DEC) theory.

So . . .

Immediately before I started to eat my dinner, BGL was 6.6 (119). Dinner tonight was a a very big spinach salad -- about 4 cups of baby spinach, 1 medium onion, 1/4 cup shredded carrot, 1/4 lb of raw sliced mushrooms, 2 cups of shrimp sauted in 1 tsp oil, and 4 to 5 Tbsp of Kraft Diet Italian salad dressing -- by my count only about 21 or 22 grams of carb, so I was not expecting very much of an increase in BGL. However, what I got, exactly 1 hour after I started eating, was a decrease of .4 (7) to 6.2 (112).

Now I'm really Only thing I can think of was that my mid-morning Insulin just managed to peak during that hour . . . basically exactly what the timing is supposed to do; but I never thought I could eat and have my BGL go down. I usually eat a relatively light carb meal at dinner and I admit that I seldom check my BGL after dinner or at bedtime. Maybe I'm bringing about my own middle of the night hypos even though I do usually have a carb based snack before bed? Maybe I have to completely revamp my eating patterns? Wow . . . you would think that after 16 years, I'd have this stuff figured out. Wrong.

Anyway, I just ate my snack -- early -- and will check BGL again at bedtime to decide if I need another one or if I need to really go low with the bedtime insulin.

Back to post my food log (and a further BGL update) later . . .
Old 06-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #127  
Happy New Rears!

Your BG went down after all that food? wild!

My numbers are like 6.5 - 7.5 before a meal and 12++ one hour afterwards
Old 06-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #128  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Well, I test 4 times a day, before meals & at bedtime - and also whenever I feel wonky. A couple of times a month I do the 2hr pp thing, and my dr. likes to have a couple of 3am tests during the month. I had a horrible time when going thru menopause because my first indication of a low is usually suddenly being drenched in sweat. I was testing 10-15 times a day while having hot flashes. Thank goodness my insurance pays for however many boxes of test strips my dr. says I need a month for 1 co-pay. I sure went thru a lot of them. Sure glad that's over with.

Meowee - that meal didn't sound like it had too many carbs to me. No starches that I could see. Mine bs goes down when I have less than 30 carbs in a meal.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #129  
Onward and Downward

Argh . . . gets weirder and weirder . . . had my snack of jello, cool whip and 5 arrowroot biscuits for another 30 grams of carb (don't forget I ate this snack one hour after my 22 carbs of dinner) . . . two hours later, I'm sitting at 10.7 (193). I may never check my BGL again . . . only kidding.

Probably some strange combination of the kind of carbs (Arrowroots are pretty high GI) and the timing being so close after the previous meal. I'm going to go to bed and not worry about it too much. I understand the logic of Bev's explanation, too bad I can't seem to use my body to prove it. Oh well, good (bad) old Diabetes definitely has a mind of its own.

Anyway here's my food log for the day . . .

B: protein pancakes; strawberry-rhubarb topping; 2 cups coffee
S: celery and LF cheese
L: 2 cups lentil soup
S: NSA fudgesicle and 1 cup tea
D: Spinach salad; carrots, shrimp; mushrooms; feta cheese; onions
S: jello, cool whip; 5 arrowroot buscuits
(or maybe that was part of dinner???)

80 oz / 2500 ml of water

Tomorrow is another day . . . see you then, gang . . .
Old 06-11-2007, 10:43 PM   #130  

I am home from the funeral. I forgot to take my Byetta with me, then forgot to take my Metformin with the dinner. I have not checked my bg yet, but I am expecting it to be high.
Everything went well...I am tired though and did not get in my usual water aerobics, so I feel pretty drained.

On testing: I test two or more times a day. I always check when I get up and just before bed. If I feel a need, I will check after meals, or exercise.

Meowee: It was my understanding that you checked two hours after a meal because it took that long to digest and hit the bloodstream. Your tests today seem to support that idea.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:32 AM   #131  
Happy New Rears!

I think testing BG will make us all insane. Sometimes it makes no sense at all what our bodies do with the food we eat.

Good Morning everyone, Monet - sorry about having to go to a funeral, that's very sad

I had some temptation problems last night with my husbands dinner, he had a cheeseplate as an appetizer and steak pie/mashed for dinner. He didn't finish all his dinner and I saw it sitting there on the kitchen counter - it was like something took over my body and before I knew it I was raiding his plate like a vagrant in a dumpster.

I told him from now on, PLEASE scrape your plate in the garbage (I don't think I'd be tempted to take food from the garbage! ) Remember George from Seinfeld when he took the chocolate eclair from the garbage? LOL
Old 06-12-2007, 09:08 AM   #132  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning, Gang . . .

Another day has dawned. Still overcast and cooler than we'd like here in Atlantic Canada . . . Forecast high is for somewhere between 15 and 19 (59 and 66) . . . Gee it would be nice if all the local "authorities" could get a little closer together on a number.

Well . . . I may not be able to attest to my DEC's glycemic response time-table, (your two-hour rule, Monet, seems closer to my response of last night, that's for sure) but I could become the poster child for "middle-night-hypos" or, maybe "advantages-of-the-four-hour-feeding-schedule". Up at 4:00 am with a BGL of 3.1 (56). Ate 1 'Werthers Original' (much tastier than glucose tablets and with almost the same fast-acting carb count) followed by an apple and a glass of water and went back to bed. Got up at 8:30 am and my BGL was 5.0 (90). Maybe I should set my alarm for a 'wee meal' in the 'wee hours'. Oh the joys of Diabetes.

Monet . . . Glad things went okay at the funeral. Stuff like that is always tiring and especially when it involves travel as well. How did the BGL come out? Can you tell I've got a one track mind lately?

Thin . . . Most of us have moments like that. Today is a new, fresh start, girl. I scrape plates into the compost bin and then make sure there is something really yucky on top of the good stuff just to be sure I'm not tempted to "do a George".

Anyway . . . that 3.1 (56) was not my lowest reading of record. That was a 2.7 (under 49) . . . so today's question is -- What was the lowest BGL you can remember having recorded?

Well, time is moving right along and, as soon as my hair dries, I've got to get out and about to a few places. Hope everybody has a great moving and shaking day planned . . . See you all later . . .
Old 06-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #133  

MEOWEE: Ok, I will come clean and fess up to the bg. I tested after I posted last night and it was 133. I was pleasantly surprised! This morning it was a wee bit higher than it has been running...but at 123 I was surprised. I expected higher. I have to keep telling myself that this does NOT mean potato salad is ok! The glucose meter may have been kind, but the scale was not. I was up a pound and a half this morning.

The lowest bg I have ever gotten was 44. Since I start to feel hypo at 90 or below, you can imagine how shakey I was for that one!

Old 06-12-2007, 01:36 PM   #134  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

'Morning all. bsl this am 104. Looks to be our last day of "spring" here. Weather man said 107 by the end of the week. Sigh....the older I get, the more I hate the heat. I need a summer place in the mountains.

My lowest bsl ever was 37. Scared the you-know-what out of me. That's when I started keeping juice boxes all over my house and in my car.

Hope everyone has a lovely and on-plan day. BTW meowee, I love the question of the day thing.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:52 PM   #135  

Morning everyone..its cold and windy here.. ive been up since 5:30am.. to take daisy outside to do her business..sitting on the deck in my nightie and a sweater shivering as bad as she was.. we sat there for a good 15 mnts and shes whinning to go in so we did and she promptly did her bs inside.. oh the joys of training our furry critters soooo im awake now..my sl was 106 this am..my lowest was the other day at 75.. and i felt it.. yucky and shaky..but my coffee mocha quickly took care of that..its strange that we all have the same disease but we all react differntly..it sure helps to share info tho.. today we are taking daisy to the vet for shots.. and deff need to get that sewing done..i roasted a turkey yesterday and have plenty left.. i also cooked a very large sweet potato and put sf apricot jam and cinamon on it..turned out great..my dh had the m potato stuffing and gravy i wanted that instead..oh well..ttfn and have great day everyone(((( )))) rosey
Closed Thread